2Likes

post #961 of 985 Old 08-03-2014, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Power-line adapters might be a better choice.
http://www.cnet.com/topics/networkin...line-adapters/
It reads to me like I only need to buy one for the router side and that would push the signal to all my other sources so long as I have one for each room (Bedroom and Living Room). Or do I need a one for one kind of setup? My current router is already capable of gigabit so I was just going to use one port and plug it up into a single port on my router and then two more, one each for the htpc in the living room and the htpc in the bedroom.
Do you use these or know anyone that does with success? I ask this because after doing a little research it seems people are not getting very reliable speeds and I know reliable connection and speed will be key to the cable card being successful as I will be using all six streams for recording. Also how would this affect my electric bill? I would be cutting the DVR cord to save money but it seems as I will be using this frequently I may spend just as much, if not more, with the increased cost of electricity.

Last edited by Leon1972; 08-03-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 985 Old 08-03-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon1972 View Post
So I want to buy this card but I will be renting for another six years and won't be buying a house to drop runs in the walls.
I do not want cat 5 cable hanging all over my walls so I was wondering if wireless 802.11n would be capable of handling it?
Any suggestions on how to wire up this card without wires everywhere?
802.11n might work, or it might not. It's kind of a crapshoot with wireless. It's going to depend on the equipment you use, and the environment you're in. There's really no way to tell for sure until you try it. Knowing that, I would always consider Wifi as a last resort for connecting extenders.

As mentioned above powerline adapters are a viable option. MoCa adapters are also a good option. (I've used them in the past)

Another alternative is Deca adapters (MoCa equivalent for satellite) however it doesn't play nice with cable TV signals, so you'd have to keep the deca "network" isolated from your incoming cable signal (which typically isn't an issue if you're moving to an all-extender model)

If I had a signature, this is where it would be.
post #963 of 985 Old 08-10-2014, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi all.

Just took advantage of the current sale on the InfiniTv 6 ETH sale to upgrade from the pci-e InfinTv 4.

When it comes in, what is my best way to remove InfinTv 4 and install the new ETH, software wise?

How do I cleanly remove the InfinTv 4 from WMC without doing a clean install of Win7?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rew
post #964 of 985 Old 08-10-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew452 View Post
Hi all.

Just took advantage of the current sale on the InfiniTv 6 ETH sale to upgrade from the pci-e InfinTv 4.

When it comes in, what is my best way to remove InfinTv 4 and install the new ETH, software wise?

How do I cleanly remove the InfinTv 4 from WMC without doing a clean install of Win7?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rew
I don't know the "best" way. But all I did was run Ceton Diagnostics, and click Clear Tuner Config on the Devices tab. Then I plugged in the ETH 6 and ran Diagnostics again, this time clicking Reset Network Settings and Discover Tuners. Then in WMC I went through the TV signal setup again.

Of course you'll have to call the cable company to authorize your card with the new tuner. I also had to reboot my TA a few times.

If I had to do a clean install of Win 7, I'd have just kept my InfiniTV 4.
post #965 of 985 Old 08-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks. I didn't remember those settings in the Ceton Diag. I've never used them that I recall.

Did you remove the Infini 4 card before running Clear Tuner Config or does it matter?

Thanks
Rew
post #966 of 985 Old 08-10-2014, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Also, please make sure you go out and grab the latest drivers and firmware after you install it.
post #967 of 985 Old 08-10-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew452 View Post
Thanks. I didn't remember those settings in the Ceton Diag. I've never used them that I recall.

Did you remove the Infini 4 card before running Clear Tuner Config or does it matter?

Thanks
Rew
Doesn't matter. But if you rediscover with it still plugged on, you'll get all 10 tuners.
post #968 of 985 Old 08-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks! Think I got it.

Rew
post #969 of 985 Old 08-14-2014, 09:16 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I've got a tuner (or WMC) problem that's starting to drive me up the wall. For a while, everything had been working well - recordings were working very reliably.

In the last month (or so), I've been running into frequent "no signal" issues trying to watch live TV or when recordings start on 2 PC's in the house which are running Windows 7 Media Center and sharing my InfiniTV 6 ETH tuners (I have 2 of them, so a total of 12 CableCard tuners). For the recordings, WMC will usually cycle through all 12 tuners (which is really annoying if I'm watching something else because there's a popup window for each tuner letting me know there's a problem) before giving up, but will sometimes give up after trying fewer tuners (even if the other tuners aren't already recording something). When this happens, I have to reboot the PC at which point everything is fine again for a while. Unfortunately, "a while" is turning into less than a day at this point.

When I run into this problem, I can still access the tuners in JRiver Media Center which is running on another PC, but sharing the same pool of InfiniTV ETH tuners and all (including signal strength) appears to be ok in the Ceton Diagnostics and on the web page for the tuners.

All 3 PC's are running the same version of the Ceton drivers.

Note that I NEVER have issues with the over the air channels tuned on my SiliconDust HDHomerun tuners (I've got 2 of these, so 4 OTA tuners), which 1 WMC PC and the JRiver PC both have access to. The 2nd WMC PC doesn't have these tuners configured.

One of the WMC PC's is setup to automatically install Windows updates. The other 2 PC's have Windows updates set to manual. Other than that 1 PC that is setup to auto install updates, I don't believe anything has changed in the home network or on the other PC's for a while now. So I'm baffled as to why we're suddenly running into this problem.

One theory I have is that a brief "glitch" of some sort in the InfiniTV 6 ETH's could cause Windows Media Center to lose them while JRiver could be more robust about rediscovering them (or just not losing them to begin with). No idea what sort of glitch could cause this...

Any ideas?
post #970 of 985 Old 08-14-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Last time I had an issue like that, it was due to play ready. I had to run this DRM update in IE then reinstall play ready. No Signal is kind of catch all for all kinds of issues which aren't signal related at all.

http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/...en/indivit.asp
post #971 of 985 Old 08-14-2014, 03:07 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Last time I had an issue like that, it was due to play ready. I had to run this DRM update in IE then reinstall play ready. No Signal is kind of catch all for all kinds of issues which aren't signal related at all.

http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/...en/indivit.asp
Interesting. Were you having issues with copy freely channels that were resolved by doing this? Aside from a HBO preview until the end of the month, all of our channels are copy freely and I haven't been recording much on HBO (nothing for the last few weeks). I'll give this a shot though and hope that it helps - thanks.
post #972 of 985 Old 08-14-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Interesting. Were you having issues with copy freely channels that were resolved by doing this? Aside from a HBO preview until the end of the month, all of our channels are copy freely and I haven't been recording much on HBO (nothing for the last few weeks). I'll give this a shot though and hope that it helps - thanks.
Yes. Every channel eventually failed on No Signal, no matter what the copy flag. I don't know exactly why that fixed my issue, but my guess is everything decrypted by cable card eventually gets blocked unless play ready and DRM is working properly. Took me about 3 months to figure out after trying every other trick in the book. I was convinced it was a real signal or hardware issue. I even got the cable company to run a new line to my house and install an amp. I tried 4 different tuners (both SD and Ceton), cable cards and tuning adapters. None of that made any difference.

Not saying that's your issue, but it's worth a try before you go down the same road I did.
post #973 of 985 Old 08-14-2014, 07:56 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Yes. Every channel eventually failed on No Signal, no matter what the copy flag. I don't know exactly why that fixed my issue, but my guess is everything decrypted by cable card eventually gets blocked unless play ready and DRM is working properly. Took me about 3 months to figure out after trying every other trick in the book. I was convinced it was a real signal or hardware issue. I even got the cable company to run a new line to my house and install an amp. I tried 4 different tuners (both SD and Ceton), cable cards and tuning adapters. None of that made any difference.

Not saying that's your issue, but it's worth a try before you go down the same road I did.
I installed it several hours ago. The install took pretty much no time, so I'm not sure anything actually happened . I had one CableCard recording (and 1 OTA recording) scheduled for tonight that recorded without incident. I'll see how things go for the next few days, but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again for the tip.
htpcforever likes this.
post #974 of 985 Old 08-15-2014, 05:00 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Both PC's had to be rebooted again a few minutes ago due to not being able to tune any CableCard channels with the "no signal" error. Meanwhile, the JRiver Media Center PC hasn't been rebooted in well over a month and continues to have no problem accessing the tuners. I've set up parallel recordings of my shows that are on CableCard channels and will see how JRiver does over the next few weeks. I really hate to give up using Windows Media Center because the interface for setting up recordings is still a LOT better than JRiver's and JRiver doesn't have PlayReady (or any alternative) support and therefore can't handle any of the premium channels (not a big issue for now as we only have the premium channels when FIOS has a free trial as they have with HBO this summer).
post #975 of 985 Old 08-15-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Too bad that didn't work. Did you run play ready again and make sure it passed?

You should probably open a ticket with Ceton at this point, if you haven't already.
post #976 of 985 Old 08-15-2014, 05:20 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Too bad that didn't work. Did you run play ready again and make sure it passed?

You should probably open a ticket with Ceton at this point, if you haven't already.
No, I didn't run play ready after going to that upgrade page - I should probably do that, but will have to wait until recordings finish for tonight.

I've been debating about opening a ticket as I have a hunch they'll have me go through all sorts of gyrations that won't accomplish anything and it's likely to be a rather frustrating experience. Of course living with it at the moment is extremely frustrating, so it probably makes sense to open a ticket and see what they come up with. It really stinks because it's been working extremely well up until recently. And of course, given that JRiver isn't having any issues, it's really tough to blame the tuners as Windows Media Center seems to be the culprit here.
post #977 of 985 Old 08-15-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

They'll look at logs and other diagnostics and may be able to find things you'd hadn't thought of. I've always been pleased with their solutions.
post #978 of 985 Old 08-16-2014, 10:30 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

It's possible that I have figured out what the problem is. It occurred to me that Windows Media Center will lose access to the tuners if they reboot for some reason and the only way to get them back is to reboot the PC. So I just checked the Uptime value on both ETH boxes and they were 0 days 4 hours 54 minutes 49 seconds and 0 days 4 hours 55 minutes 8 seconds, so they must have rebooted around 8:15AM this morning. And sure enough, Windows Media Center had lost the tuners again (while JRiver was still happy...). It would be really nice if Windows Media Center would recover gracefully from this sort of thing, but it obviously doesn't.

A few months back, I connected the power supplies for the tuners to a Crestron power controller that allows me to reboot them remotely with my Crestron system should the need arise while I'm away (I can send a command via my iPad or iPhone that will reboot the tuners and then reboot the 2 Windows Media Center PC's about a minute later). If the power controller loses its connection to the Crestron processor for some reason, it will shut off the 2 outlets which will cut power to the tuners. When it regains its connection to the Crestron processor, the 2 outlets will come back on and the tuners will power back up. Unless I royally screwed something up in my Crestron program that's causing random reboots of the tuners without also rebooting the PC's, a lost connection is just about the only way the tuners could reboot unless there's actually something wrong with the tuners. That power controller is actually pretty old (I've had it for >15 years now), so it's possible that it has issues.

So I have removed that power controller from the equation for the moment and plugged the tuners directly into a power strip that doesn't have any control capabilities. I'll leave it that way and monitor the uptime on the tuners for the next week or so and see how things go. If we don't have any more problems, then I'll know that there's something wrong with that power controller I've been using. I'll keep my fingers crossed that that's the problem, because it's a relatively simple solution.
post #979 of 985 Old 08-16-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
gsr - Ceton has told me that if you reboot the ETH box then you have to reboot the Windows Media Center machine as well. I have tested this each time (on purpose) they sent out a firmware or driver upgrade and it is still the case. You can reboot the WMC box and not have to reboot the ETH, though I always do just to be sure. I have my ETH plugged into the same UPS my WMC box is on, so that helps it stay running.
post #980 of 985 Old 08-16-2014, 05:10 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
gsr - Ceton has told me that if you reboot the ETH box then you have to reboot the Windows Media Center machine as well. I have tested this each time (on purpose) they sent out a firmware or driver upgrade and it is still the case. You can reboot the WMC box and not have to reboot the ETH, though I always do just to be sure. I have my ETH plugged into the same UPS my WMC box is on, so that helps it stay running.
Yeah, I was aware of that. What I hadn't noticed was that my ETH's had been rebooting when I wasn't expecting them to. I wish I had taken a look at their uptimes a week or 2 back as it probably would have saved me a lot of aggravation trying to figure out what was happening. As soon as I checked the uptimes, I had an ah-ha moment . I just hope that the root of the problem was the Crestron power controller randomly rebooting as that should be pretty simple to fix. If the ETH boxes are both randomly rebooting (in sync with each other, no less), that may be a lot harder to diagnose.

The requirement to reboot the Windows Media Center PC after the ETH's reboot is clearly a Windows Media Center issue as JRiver Media Center continues to access the tuners just fine after they reboot. For whatever reason, JRiver recovers gracefully while WMC doesn't. Unfortunately, it's unlikely we'll ever see a fix for WMC given that Microsoft has stopped development on it unless Ceton comes up with some sort of solution on their end (no idea if they could do that or not). Even if WMC recovered gracefully, I wouldn't want to live with the tuners having their power cut and restored randomly long term as it probably wouldn't be good for them and in the best case, there would be at least a 15-20 second gap in any active recordings each time they rebooted.
htpcforever likes this.
post #981 of 985 Old 08-17-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 178
I think it's much more likely that it's a Ceton driver issue, given that the same problem doesn't exist for HDHR tuners and that these are offboard network tuners that should be auto-reconnected by the driver after a tuner reboot.
post #982 of 985 Old 08-17-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Ceton has said that the ETH can be used without any drivers. See TGB for details, one of erkotz's recent posts, if you want to give that a try. I just leave mine on the same power strip as my PC and don't have any issues.
post #983 of 985 Old 08-17-2014, 05:06 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I think it's much more likely that it's a Ceton driver issue, given that the same problem doesn't exist for HDHR tuners and that these are offboard network tuners that should be auto-reconnected by the driver after a tuner reboot.
Could be and at least there's a chance of a fix for it if that's the case. It would be a shame to be away for a week and lose a bunch of recordings simply because the tuners rebooted at some point.

Quote:
Ceton has said that the ETH can be used without any drivers. See TGB for details, one of erkotz's recent posts, if you want to give that a try.
I took a look over there, but couldn't find any thread discussing this (and I took a quick look through his posts going back to early July). Any chance you could share a link?

Quote:
I just leave mine on the same power strip as my PC and don't have any issues.
I have had a few cases where the tuners have needed to be reboot. To make that easier, I had hooked the tuners up to a power controller that I was able to control remotely. It looks like the power controller was malfunctioning and rebooting the tuners at random times. So they're back on an always on power strip for now and have been up and running for 1 day and 7 hours so far, which makes me pretty confident that I've identified the problem as we were at the point where we had to reboot the PC's at least once a day to get WMC playing nice with the tuners again.
post #984 of 985 Old 08-17-2014, 06:14 PM

Liked: 10

Ceton has said that the ETH can be used without any drivers. See TGB for details, one of erkotz's recent posts, if you want to give that a try.
I took a look over there, but couldn't find any thread discussing this (and I took a quick look through his posts going back to early July). Any chance you could share a link?
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...p=64235#p64235
post #985 of 985 Old 08-17-2014, 06:34 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Thanks. It sounds like they don't actually install a driver anyway and bypassing their software is likely to make any issues even harder to diagnose.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 6 Pcie 5205 Dct06in Pcie Six Tuner Card For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Pci E

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page