Latest Ceton InfiniTV 6 Info Thread - Page 36 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1051 of 1074 Old 03-20-2015, 11:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Try to record on a red tuner and see if it goes longer than 20 minutes without failing. That's about the time playready kicks in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1074 Old 03-21-2015, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Here's my philosophy on tuner types:

I've used numerous USB tuners over the years and had problems with every one of them. I've learned to avoid them altogether. If space is a major consideration or you lack internal slots for the tuners, go with a HDHR setup instead.

SiliconDust developed the networked tuner first and has been doing it the longest with great success. I like Ceton, but stick with SD if you want to network your tuners.

For standalone HTPCs, I prefer the Ceton PCIe tuners. Every one I've used has been rock solid and extremely reliable.

My primary HTPC uses an InfiniTV6 PCIe cablecard tuner and gets OTA channels via three SD HDHR Dual/Connects. My three Intel NUC satellite HTPCs use the tuners from a SD HDHR Prime. The Dual/Connects are used primarily by the primary HTPC but they're also available to the NUCs, although hardly ever used by them since those HTPCs generally access only one channel at a time via the Prime.

The Primary HTPC is the workhorse when it comes to recording any shows, hence the InfiniTV6. The NUCs are used mostly for watching live TV and streaming movies from my server.
post #1053 of 1074 Old 03-22-2015, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I used to have the PCIe 4 tuner card in my HTPC and it was rock solid for a couple of years, and like someone else mentioned, the lure of 6 tuners and dynamic pooling was what got me to "upgrade" to the 6 tuner ETH. It has been a complete and utter nightmare ever since. The first tuner would lose the cablecard pairing every few weeks and it was ENDLESS hours on the phone with Comcast and Truck rolls. The tuner did actually work pretty good while the CC was authorized. Ceton RMA'd my tuner, and now that issue was resolved, I have never lost CC auth since.

Unfortunately this tuner does not work properly at all. I have missed and had to watch The Walking dead the next day almost half or more of the episodes this season. I keep getting "No signal" when a show starts to record, or "Weak TV Signal" and "Subscription Required" in the middle of recording it just cuts out to those messages and goes back in. I can't even count how many "partial" recordings I've had in the last year. What's worse is WMC will sometimes still continue recording nothing and then I'll start the show to play only to find out it's only 1 minute long. I recently updated the firmware in the diagnostic tool and now the tuner has crashed or restarted at least twice, rendering the tuner useless until you reboot the PC which spells disaster if you are not home to catch it before there are other recordings scheduled. Ceton's support has essentially done nothing but tried to blame my PC setup at first and give me a laundry list of things I need to do (recordings and tuning worked just fine with the last tuner), now they are trying to blame the CableCard which I am very reluctant to swap out now that it is finally authorized properly. The tuner also is VERY slow to tune channels.

Without the amp, my signal at the Ceton is around 0dB, and the tuner did not work at all at first. I added a +8dB amp and now it runs usually around +6-7dB 39 SNR, so I really don't understand how the signal is "Weak"

I desperately want to keep my WMC setup since I live alone and watch TV in several rooms in the house, but I do a 125 mile round trip commute to work daily, and coming home to this every day when I just want to sit down and relax is aggravating.

Last edited by SLAYER6669; 03-22-2015 at 08:25 AM.
post #1054 of 1074 Old 03-22-2015, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You just summed up my last year or so of experience with the ETH 6. ;-)
post #1055 of 1074 Old 03-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
I am having great success with the newest beta firmware found on thegreenbutton.tv. Even a full 5 days after the reboot, memory use is staying low: 14396/28052 kB SDRAM. Before, it would slowly creep up over the course of 1 to 2 weeks and then I would lose recordings and need to reboot it.

I think they found and fixed the biggest issue they were having.
Still using only 13340/28052 kB SDRAM

Non-standard RAIDs can recover deleted files. Anyone who says RAID protection is only for failed drives is lying.
post #1056 of 1074 Old 03-23-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Still using only 13340/28052 kB SDRAM
So you're saying you see no memory leak in 15.1.13.152? Mine climbs endlessly about 500k per day. Do you have SDV?
post #1057 of 1074 Old 03-23-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER6669 View Post
but I do a 125 mile round trip commute to work daily
indeed. I did that for a a little over a year, commuting from Stamford, CT to Wayne, NJ.

No thank you!

Ceton ETH is the least of your problems, my friend.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #1058 of 1074 Old 03-23-2015, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post
indeed. I did that for a a little over a year, commuting from Stamford, CT to Wayne, NJ.

No thank you!

Ceton ETH is the least of your problems, my friend.
Yeah no kidding, without going too off topic, it was 80 miles a day for over 8 years and the move to 125 a day is a temporary sacrifice so I can eventually do 12 miles a day, fingers crossed

In other news, I actually got to watch Walking Dead last night!
post #1059 of 1074 Old 03-23-2015, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER6669 View Post
Yeah no kidding, without going too off topic, it was 80 miles a day for over 8 years and the move to 125 a day is a temporary sacrifice so I can eventually do 12 miles a day, fingers crossed

In other news, I actually got to watch Walking Dead last night!
I will testify to the Silicondust Prime being solid as a rock, unlike my Ceton usb 4 tuner model which once in a while causes an issue.

I live 2 miles from work.
post #1060 of 1074 Old 03-23-2015, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
So you're saying you see no memory leak in 15.1.13.152? Mine climbs endlessly about 500k per day. Do you have SDV?
Nope, Verizon FiOS.

Today it is at 13436/28052 kB SDRAM. This is slightly lower than yesterday. We are not heavy TV watchers, though...probably average 1 to 2 hours a day, leaning closer to the 1 hour mark.

Non-standard RAIDs can recover deleted files. Anyone who says RAID protection is only for failed drives is lying.

Last edited by htpcforever; 03-23-2015 at 09:28 PM.
post #1061 of 1074 Old 03-24-2015, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I hate to say it, but it comforts me to hear others have been haunted by Ceton tuners also. I did away with the PCIe Cetons because I didn't want to rely on one PC, so in case the main HTPC crashed, I wanted to still be able to watch TV on the smaller nettop HTPCs I have.

I'm debating on trying that Beta firmware you guys speak highly of. I also bought an Intel Gigabit NIC to have on the side in case I want to try that out too.

I did have to restart my HTPC a day or 2 ago to get all pairings GREEN again. I still don't get what that means, or why most go RED but not all. The only thing I can think of is networking.

How come, if I have 4 computers on my network that can access the Ceton, does restarting my main HTPC make all pairings green? My main HTPC isn't the "primary" to the Ceton ETH. The tuner should have no idea. Does the Ceton web interface know which PC you're connecting from to give you its RED and GREEN status? Is that status a pairing to that PC in question, or a health setting overall?
post #1062 of 1074 Old 03-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

I am using an Intel NIC add in as well, figured I might as well go with an actual GOOD networking card - it was not very costly, either.

Another memory update:
13596/28052 kB SDRAM - none of the tuners are currently in use.

post #1063 of 1074 Old 03-24-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Another memory update:
13596/28052 kB SDRAM - none of the tuners are currently in use.
So it is slowly climbing. Mine also goes up and down, but after a few days, the net is up. Mine probably gets used about 8x as much as yours, hence the bigger the leak. In 30 days of uptime so far, I'm at 20000 kB, with all tuners in use. Everyone who's posted their memory use in TGB thread has the leak.
post #1064 of 1074 Old 03-24-2015, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

I will keep an eye on it. I hope they fix that leak, it appears to be the crux of the issue. Fix that and it turns into gravy and candy.

post #1065 of 1074 Old 03-24-2015, 11:42 AM

What is the cure to the memory leak, a full tuner restart?
Can we do that with Telnet or anything, so that we could script it? I could then schedule a restart on the tuner every month or so. I'd assume I'd also need to restart the HTPC, but I could set up an automatic Windows login also. Use scheduled tasks to kick off the script to restart the tuner, and then the HTPC 5 min later. Do it during an hour that no recordings ever go, while everyone is asleep (sucks, but hey it's only monthly).
post #1066 of 1074 Old 03-25-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dM@n View Post
What is the cure to the memory leak, a full tuner restart?
Can we do that with Telnet or anything, so that we could script it? I could then schedule a restart on the tuner every month or so. I'd assume I'd also need to restart the HTPC, but I could set up an automatic Windows login also. Use scheduled tasks to kick off the script to restart the tuner, and then the HTPC 5 min later. Do it during an hour that no recordings ever go, while everyone is asleep (sucks, but hey it's only monthly).
I've done exactly that already. Works fine. Problem is memory leak isn't my only issue. Random reboots are another issue. Mine might spontaneously reboot after 2 days or 2 months, no way to predict. When it does, a reboot of my PC is also necessary. I don't know I need to do it until I notice a recording got missed. Has only happened twice in 3 months. So it's not a big issue, but an issue nonetheless. If they would just fix both bugs, then I wouldn't have to do any workarounds.
post #1067 of 1074 Old 03-25-2015, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Wanted to give an update: 13824/28052 kB SDRAM

It is slowly climbing. I had not noticed it since it used to climb very fast.

post #1068 of 1074 Old 03-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Yes, there is the added expense of the 2nd CableCard. The HDHomeRun Prime tuners are dynamic, but don't have a smart tuner pooling feature like the Ceton tuners. What this means is that if you have 2 PC's using the same set of tuners with the same tuner priority, you will get "tuner not available" type error popups in WMC on one of the PC's if 1 PC is using a tuner and the other PC wants one. But WMC will keep skipping to the next tuner in it's list until it finds one that is available and start the recording. It's a bit annoying, but a lot easier to live with than failed recordings. This can also be largely worked around by setting the tuners up in a different order on the 2 PC's so that they each have 3 unique tuners that they start with. Something like:

PC#1 Tuner Order:

HDHomeRunPrime001 Tuner 1
HDHomeRunPrime001 Tuner 2
HDHomeRunPrime001 Tuner 3
HDHomeRunPrime002 Tuner 1
HDHomeRunPrime002 Tuner 2
HDHomeRunPrime002 Tuner 3

PC#2 Tuner Order:

One could go further with this and configure PC#2 as:

and never get a popup message until you get to the point where all tuners are in use, but configuring that tuner priority in WMC is a bit more work (it would make sense to do it in the initial tuner setup by selecting 1 tuner at a time in the wizard working through them in the order you want, rather than setting tuner priorities for each channel after the fact). I've been meaning to do this at home to get rid of those popups as they are a bit annoying.

If more than 2 PC's are sharing the tuners, then managing this obviously becomes a bit more complicated.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the problems with the InfiniTV 6 ETH have something to do with the tuner pooling feature possibly getting confused over what tuners are in use and which are available and eventually having a meltdown.

You're talking about different Ceton products here. The other poster (g0dM@n) was comparing his results with the Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe (4 tuner PCI Express card) to the Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH (6 tuner network tuner), while you're comparing the Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB (USB tuner) to the Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe (PCI Express card). In general, I think most people have found Ceton's PCIe products to be the most reliable and probably the USB product to be the least reliable, so your experience really isn't too much different mine or g0dM@n.
I really was reacting more to a fairly long string of negatives about the Ceton tuners (10-15 posts previous to mine) and simply wanted to point out that for me a change of Ceton models resulted in complete satisfaction. As I stated, folks' mileage varies!
post #1069 of 1074 Old Today, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 45
hey, check this out, possible replacement to WMC, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vr-re-imagined.

No word if it will be compatible with Ceton.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN

Last edited by dbailey75; Today at 07:13 AM.
post #1070 of 1074 Old Today, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post
hey, check this out, possible replacement to WMC, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vr-re-imagined.

Very unlikely. But this may light a fire under Ceton, since they had this project nearly done a few years ago with the Q but dropped it.
post #1071 of 1074 Old Today, 07:21 AM

Quote:

If Ceton was supported, they may have listed it to get more supporters...
I wouldn't be surprised if Ceton is working on one of their own.
post #1072 of 1074 Old Today, 07:33 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Very unlikely. But this may light a fire under Ceton, since they had this project nearly done a few years ago with the Q but dropped it.
IIRC, the Q was really just running Windows Media Center with some Ceton tweaks applied. That's a big part of the reason why the project never went anywhere. SiliconDust is building their own DVR solution with no reliance in WMC. It will supposedly support copy once content across multiple playback destinations and they claim the content will survive if you have to rebuild your PC/NAS (the recording service can run on a NAS), but it isn't clear yet how they're going to implement that (as in will the recordings need to be able to see the tuner that originally made the recording on your network before playback can proceed?).
post #1073 of 1074 Old Today, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

No it will not AND it will only be compatible with their newer cablcard tuners (2-3 year old cablecard tuner, you might be out)

See the Q/A area of the kickstarter

-Dave

MCSE 2003
Windows Media Center specialist

Avid gamer and home theater junkie..
post #1074 of 1074 Old Today, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dM@n View Post
If Ceton was supported, they may have listed it to get more supporters...
I wouldn't be surprised if Ceton is working on one of their own.

There are several great PVR front ends already out there, some open source, some not, but there's no reason to start from scratch on a media player, jriver, maybe sage TV/Google would be a heck of a partnership. Plex, they sold their open source soul to commercial success years ago, they figured out how to get their app on just about every media streamer, smart tv, etc. And I kind of like plex, use it to stream media to my mobile devices.

Agreed that Ceton definitely needs to announce a media center.

of course I'm no fan boy, If SD is successful, I could see a HDHR prime in my future.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 6 Pcie 5205 Dct06in Pcie Six Tuner Card For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Pci E