Latest Ceton InfiniTV 6 Info Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
WMC will keep working, it just probably won't be in Windows 10. Some of us are stuck on Windows 7 anyway if we use non-Xbox 360 extenders, and it will keep working as long as there's guide data (and possibly even further since we can get guide data elsewhere and into WMC). I think WMC will effectively work until CableCARDs are phased out, and possibly even after that for OTA. Something better will probably come along before then though.

When Microsoft pulls the plug for guide data, whenever that may be, there may be an adequate replacement for WMC, or we can get guide data from another source. It's not like WMC is going to suddenly stop working when Windows 10 comes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
It's not like WMC is going to suddenly stop working when Windows 10 comes out.
It will suddenly stop working if you upgrade to Windows 10. They announced Win 10 won't have WMC a few days ago.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
It will suddenly stop working if you upgrade to Windows 10. They announced Win 10 won't have WMC a few days ago.
Then don't upgrade. As I said before, some people can't upgrade past Windows 7 since they use Extenders. End of the road there. If not upgrading isn't an option, sure, it's dead. One possible option until the HDHR DVR or something else comes out is to load Windows 7/8 on another computer and WMC will keep chugging along happily. Having a computer dedicated to WMC duties is generally recommended anyway.

Last edited by rc05; 05-03-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
Then don't upgrade. As I said before, some people can't upgrade past Windows 7 since they use Extenders. End of the road there. If not upgrading isn't an option, sure, it's dead. One possible option until the HDHR DVR or something else comes out is to load Windows 7/8 on another computer and WMC will keep chugging along happily. Having a computer dedicated to WMC duties is generally recommended anyway.
I've been frozen at Win7 due to my Echo extenders.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Or maybe they can plead with and PAY silicondust to support their tuners in SD's DVR kickstarter! haha
Maybe SD would entertain the notion just to keep another company in the CC business?
It gets lonely when you look around and you dont have any peers-wait companies love being to only game in town-aka monoply power in the marketplace.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know some of you have had some trouble with the eth6 rebooting and then ending up with a bad pairing which causes WMC to become useless. I've put together this simple batch script to ping the eth6 and then restart the EHRECVR service when the eth6 is seen going offline, this forces a repairing once the eth6 is online again.

I've only been using this for a week but so far it's saved me a few headaches already. Keep in mind it may not be full-proof. However, I expect this will be much better than the babysitting we've all experienced.

Some things to know before you do this

- set a static IP for my eth6 so that the script always has the correct IP address.
- Download & install https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=17657 so that the sleep command will work for you.
- the script creates a log file on c:\ to show when it found eth6 to be unresponsive.
- to really have this work you'll want to set the script up to launch before login. I haven't done this yet because I haven't had time to play with this, but I know it isn't hard, just google starting a batch file before login.
- I'm using Windows 7
- replace "10.0.1.230" with your eth6 ip

Just copy/paste this into notepad and save it as a .bat and launch it. Google creating batch files if you are lost here. The script is below!
@echo off
:start
cls
sleep 3
ping -n 1 10.0.1.230 | find "TTL"
if not errorlevel 1 goto start
if errorlevel 1 goto fix
:fix
NET STOP EHRECVR
sleep 10
net start EHRECVR
sleep 10
echo %date% %time% >> c:\ehrecvr_log.txt
goto start
Old 05-29-2015, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I've done exactly that already. Works fine. Problem is memory leak isn't my only issue. Random reboots are another issue. Mine might spontaneously reboot after 2 days or 2 months, no way to predict. When it does, a reboot of my PC is also necessary. I don't know I need to do it until I notice a recording got missed. Has only happened twice in 3 months. So it's not a big issue, but an issue nonetheless. If they would just fix both bugs, then I wouldn't have to do any workarounds.
Does anyone know a way to restart the Ceton ETH through CLI, either SSH, telnet or the like?
Mine has been randomly rebooted, and then I have to restart my HTPC. I'd rather do all of this weekly myself. I can easily schedule and script it if there's a way to send commands to the Ceton tuner over the network.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dM@n View Post
Does anyone know a way to restart the Ceton ETH through CLI, either SSH, telnet or the like?
Mine has been randomly rebooted, and then I have to restart my HTPC. I'd rather do all of this weekly myself. I can easily schedule and script it if there's a way to send commands to the Ceton tuner over the network.
Yes, I have scripted this as follows:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...p=85681#p85681

While this seems to work fine at first, it was not 100% reliable. If the timing wasn't perfect, I'd have to do a second reboot anyway. I never could get it quite right, so I gave up on it.

I'm really looking forward to trying ieko's solution. Sounds like it will do a much better job.
htpcforever likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 05-29-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Yes, I have scripted this as follows:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...p=85681#p85681

While this seems to work fine at first, it was not 100% reliable. If the timing wasn't perfect, I'd have to do a second reboot anyway. I never could get it quite right, so I gave up on it.

I'm really looking forward to trying ieko's solution. Sounds like it will do a much better job.
He essentially created a service... that's awesome.
Does the batch file run silent, though? If not, there is a way to run the batch file silent by launching it via vbscript.
htpcforever likes this.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dM@n View Post
He essentially created a service... that's awesome.
Does the batch file run silent, though? If not, there is a way to run the batch file silent by launching it via vbscript.
I'm sure you could. I just put mine in a scheduled task, no batch file. I think the window still popped up. But since I rebooted anyway, it didn't matter.

Last edited by mdavej; 05-29-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:49 AM

I did manage to get it running as a service with no window. I don't have the time to post in detail right now, but if you downloaded the resource kit I posted about previously then you're basically set..

Just watch http://youtu.be/X6o1AvZ06zc and you'll probably get it.

You need to locate srvany.exe for this to work (included in resource kit).
htpcforever likes this.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks ieko. Worked like a charm. You could also follow this procedure instead of watching the video:

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display...indows+Service

I bumped the sleep time up from 3 seconds to 5 minutes on mine.
htpcforever likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 06-03-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:40 PM

Let me know how the 5 minute interval works, I made it 3 seconds because in testing I realized that the eth6 returns online very quickly from a crash.
htpcforever likes this.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Good point. 3 seconds it is then.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Comcast x1 compatibility

Just called comcast about replacing my old DVR with X1. According to them the cable card in my Ceton 6 is not compatible with X1. Could this be true? Has anyone switched to X1 and their Cetons quit working?
Old 07-10-2015, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
Just called comcast about replacing my old DVR with X1. According to them the cable card in my Ceton 6 is not compatible with X1. Could this be true? Has anyone switched to X1 and their Cetons quit working?
It is not true. There's a recent thread at TheGreenButton by someone who just had X1 installed. It had no impact whatsoever on his cable card devices. This is either ignorance or BS from Comcast to squeeze more money out of you.

What you've literally stated may be true, that you can't remove the cable card from your Ceton and put it in your new X1 DVR. Not sure why anyone would ever consider doing that though as it wouldn't accomplish anything.

May I ask why you have a Ceton AND and cable company DVR? Most of use cable card tuners to avoid having to pay cable company DVR fees. If it's for the On Demand content, can't you just get that from the web?
Old 07-10-2015, 12:02 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
It is not true. There's a recent thread at TheGreenButton by someone who just had X1 installed. It had no impact whatsoever on his cable card devices. This is either ignorance or BS from Comcast to squeeze more money out of you.

What you've literally stated may be true, that you can't remove the cable card from your Ceton and put it in your new X1 DVR. Not sure why anyone would ever consider doing that though as it wouldn't accomplish anything.

May I ask why you have a Ceton AND and cable company DVR? Most of use cable card tuners to avoid having to pay cable company DVR fees. If it's for the On Demand content, can't you just get that from the web?
I'd been planning on getting rid of it. I left it for my daughter.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been in the early stages of planning out a HTPC setup centered around a DVR using the Ceton Infinitv 6 ETH, but after reading this thread, I must admit I'm a bit hesitant now. At $300 per, that's not pocket change to experiment with. Given the fact that Cox in my area (OKC) requires a tuning adapter that requires a USB interface to the tuner hosting its CableCard, the PCIe version is eliminated for me.

Is the consensus here that the Ceton 6 and its USB interface is best avoided? My hope was to completely discard my Cox DVR's and use the Ceton with MythBackEnd, but if the devices are this finicky I'm concerned it might not be a good idea; but going to something like the Hauppage 2650 only gives me two tuners, which won't get the job done if I want to connect more than my existing two TV's to a future distributed cable setup. Was originally excited for the Ceton 6; but now am really cautious.

Has anyone tried running the Ceton 6 USB through a VM?? USB passthrough to a VM seems a more likely route to work than routing an entire PCIe device...

Intrigued by all the PVR possibilities, but a little tempered now with info about the Ceton 6 being problematic...
Old 07-24-2015, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoSooner View Post
Has anyone tried running the Ceton 6 USB through a VM?? USB passthrough to a VM seems a more likely route to work than routing an entire PCIe device...
There is no such thing as a Ceton 6 USB tuner. The InfiiniTV4 is available as PCIe or USB. The InfiniTV6 is available as PCIe or ETH.

The InfiniTV6 ETH is a network device. It connects to your home network with an ethernet cable. The computer uses the tuner across the home network similar to how it would use a network printer. If your cable company requires the use of a tuning adapter, the USB cable goes between the TA and the tuner box. The TA's USB cable does not connect to the PC so I don't think a VM will make any difference.

InfiniTV6 ETH Quick Install Guide:
http://www.cetoncorp.com/documents/I...tion_Guide.pdf
Old 07-24-2015, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I guess everyone by now should have noticed that your guide data is being updated from a different sources. MS is no longer using zaptoit, or what ever it was called. I noticed that some of my channels went missing last week, re ran the setup, and there more more/different options than there had been previously. There's a thread over at the green button about it.

For the most part I don't have any issues, but the channel images for the various shows that MCE gives you in the bottom left, Id' say are 50% wrong. LOL

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
Old 07-24-2015, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I've been in the early stages of planning out a HTPC setup centered around a DVR using the Ceton Infinitv 6 ETH, but after reading this thread, I must admit I'm a bit hesitant now. At $300 per, that's not pocket change to experiment with. Given the fact that Cox in my area (OKC) requires a tuning adapter that requires a USB interface to the tuner hosting its CableCard, the PCIe version is eliminated for me.

Is the consensus here that the Ceton 6 and its USB interface is best avoided? My hope was to completely discard my Cox DVR's and use the Ceton with MythBackEnd, but if the devices are this finicky I'm concerned it might not be a good idea; but going to something like the Hauppage 2650 only gives me two tuners, which won't get the job done if I want to connect more than my existing two TV's to a future distributed cable setup. Was originally excited for the Ceton 6; but now am really cautious.

Intrigued by all the PVR possibilities, but a little tempered now with info about the Ceton 6 being problematic...
I've been a follower of Ceton from the start and although the ride was bumpy but satisfying, I can tell you this, since buying a Roku my life has been much easier. Now as far as live TV goes, well the whole point of the Ceton was to record it so I can watch my favorite shows when I wanted to. I can pretty much well do that with Roku and my subscription to either Netflix or Amazon Prime. It's really a simple solution and only $70 for the Roku 2 (2015).

Ultimately, there was just too many issues that I had to address over the course of 5 years that really made me drop the whole cable card thingy idea and now again, life is simple.

If, I had to do it today, I would build a dedicated box to run W7 and get the ethernet Ceton 6. To me W7 is still a great OS but W8 has its benefits as well.

My setup involves a W7 Pro dedicated Box with WHS2011 running through VM Ware. I have WHS2011 doing all of the batch processing and serves as central storage and backups for all PCs but still have the ability to watch live TV via W7 (no longer subscribe to cable) . I use WHS2011 to manage my network and installed the lightsouts add-in, my movies add-in and works great accessing all of my stored files anywhere around the globe.

As cool as this all is, the rest of my family switches the input on the AVR, picks up the Roku remote and are just as happy as they can be that they don't have to go through all the hoops and loops just to watch TV....
Old 07-24-2015, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I have had a Ceton InfTV PCie6 for over a year now, after bad experience with the Inftv4 USB. The PCie6 has been terrific, never missing a beat. I must state, however, that we do not use TA's on our cable system, so that as caveat. I do believe the InfTVPcie6 is set up to handle that, however.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I'm on Brighthouse and they also use a tuning adapter. The HTPC setup I have works great with the InfiniTV6 PCIe. The tuning adapter connects to the HTPC, not the Ceton. The Ceton software includes the TA drivers.
Old Today, 12:37 PM

Liked: 10
I have one of the Ceton InfiniTV 6 that is was never able to get to work, It would show cable card inserted, then a few min later would show invalid cable card. Never was able to get help from Ceton. I had used the Ceton InfiniTV 4 and it worked ok.
Old Today, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I started with their InfiniTV 4. Both the first and second generation versions of the Pci-e card. The latter ran cooler. Regardless it was still hot and required too much cooling. Then moved to their InfiniTV 6 ETH external tuner that ran hotter despite being external. The constant communication issues between the HTPC and Tuning Adapter became exhausting.

Since moved to a TiVo Roamio with 6 internal tuners that runs silent, ice cold and zero TA issues.

I must admit, I thought I'd never favor a device over my HTPC but that's no longer true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 6 Pcie 5205 Dct06in Pcie Six Tuner Card For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Pci E