Latest Ceton InfiniTV 6 Info Thread - Page 37 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1081 of 1090 Old 05-03-2015, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 66
WMC will keep working, it just probably won't be in Windows 10. Some of us are stuck on Windows 7 anyway if we use non-Xbox 360 extenders, and it will keep working as long as there's guide data (and possibly even further since we can get guide data elsewhere and into WMC). I think WMC will effectively work until CableCARDs are phased out, and possibly even after that for OTA. Something better will probably come along before then though.

When Microsoft pulls the plug for guide data, whenever that may be, there may be an adequate replacement for WMC, or we can get guide data from another source. It's not like WMC is going to suddenly stop working when Windows 10 comes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1090 Old 05-03-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
It's not like WMC is going to suddenly stop working when Windows 10 comes out.
It will suddenly stop working if you upgrade to Windows 10. They announced Win 10 won't have WMC a few days ago.
post #1083 of 1090 Old 05-03-2015, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
It will suddenly stop working if you upgrade to Windows 10. They announced Win 10 won't have WMC a few days ago.
Then don't upgrade. As I said before, some people can't upgrade past Windows 7 since they use Extenders. End of the road there. If not upgrading isn't an option, sure, it's dead. One possible option until the HDHR DVR or something else comes out is to load Windows 7/8 on another computer and WMC will keep chugging along happily. Having a computer dedicated to WMC duties is generally recommended anyway.

Last edited by rc05; 05-03-2015 at 12:48 PM.
post #1084 of 1090 Old 05-03-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
Then don't upgrade. As I said before, some people can't upgrade past Windows 7 since they use Extenders. End of the road there. If not upgrading isn't an option, sure, it's dead. One possible option until the HDHR DVR or something else comes out is to load Windows 7/8 on another computer and WMC will keep chugging along happily. Having a computer dedicated to WMC duties is generally recommended anyway.
I've been frozen at Win7 due to my Echo extenders.
post #1085 of 1090 Old 05-03-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Or maybe they can plead with and PAY silicondust to support their tuners in SD's DVR kickstarter! haha
Maybe SD would entertain the notion just to keep another company in the CC business?
It gets lonely when you look around and you dont have any peers-wait companies love being to only game in town-aka monoply power in the marketplace.
post #1086 of 1090 Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know some of you have had some trouble with the eth6 rebooting and then ending up with a bad pairing which causes WMC to become useless. I've put together this simple batch script to ping the eth6 and then restart the EHRECVR service when the eth6 is seen going offline, this forces a repairing once the eth6 is online again.

I've only been using this for a week but so far it's saved me a few headaches already. Keep in mind it may not be full-proof. However, I expect this will be much better than the babysitting we've all experienced.

Some things to know before you do this

- set a static IP for my eth6 so that the script always has the correct IP address.
- Download & install https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=17657 so that the sleep command will work for you.
- the script creates a log file on c:\ to show when it found eth6 to be unresponsive.
- to really have this work you'll want to set the script up to launch before login. I haven't done this yet because I haven't had time to play with this, but I know it isn't hard, just google starting a batch file before login.
- I'm using Windows 7
- replace "10.0.1.230" with your eth6 ip

Just copy/paste this into notepad and save it as a .bat and launch it. Google creating batch files if you are lost here. The script is below!
@echo off
:start
cls
sleep 3
ping -n 1 10.0.1.230 | find "TTL"
if not errorlevel 1 goto start
if errorlevel 1 goto fix
:fix
NET STOP EHRECVR
sleep 10
net start EHRECVR
sleep 10
echo %date% %time% >> c:\ehrecvr_log.txt
goto start
post #1087 of 1090 Old Today, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I've done exactly that already. Works fine. Problem is memory leak isn't my only issue. Random reboots are another issue. Mine might spontaneously reboot after 2 days or 2 months, no way to predict. When it does, a reboot of my PC is also necessary. I don't know I need to do it until I notice a recording got missed. Has only happened twice in 3 months. So it's not a big issue, but an issue nonetheless. If they would just fix both bugs, then I wouldn't have to do any workarounds.
Does anyone know a way to restart the Ceton ETH through CLI, either SSH, telnet or the like?
Mine has been randomly rebooted, and then I have to restart my HTPC. I'd rather do all of this weekly myself. I can easily schedule and script it if there's a way to send commands to the Ceton tuner over the network.
post #1088 of 1090 Old Today, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dM@n View Post
Does anyone know a way to restart the Ceton ETH through CLI, either SSH, telnet or the like?
Mine has been randomly rebooted, and then I have to restart my HTPC. I'd rather do all of this weekly myself. I can easily schedule and script it if there's a way to send commands to the Ceton tuner over the network.
Yes, I have scripted this as follows:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...p=85681#p85681

While this seems to work fine at first, it was not 100% reliable. If the timing wasn't perfect, I'd have to do a second reboot anyway. I never could get it quite right, so I gave up on it.

I'm really looking forward to trying ieko's solution. Sounds like it will do a much better job.

Last edited by mdavej; Today at 08:32 AM.
post #1089 of 1090 Old Today, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Yes, I have scripted this as follows:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...p=85681#p85681

While this seems to work fine at first, it was not 100% reliable. If the timing wasn't perfect, I'd have to do a second reboot anyway. I never could get it quite right, so I gave up on it.

I'm really looking forward to trying ieko's solution. Sounds like it will do a much better job.
He essentially created a service... that's awesome.
Does the batch file run silent, though? If not, there is a way to run the batch file silent by launching it via vbscript.
post #1090 of 1090 Old Today, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dM@n View Post
He essentially created a service... that's awesome.
Does the batch file run silent, though? If not, there is a way to run the batch file silent by launching it via vbscript.
I'm sure you could. I just put mine in a scheduled task, no batch file. I think the window still popped up. But since I rebooted anyway, it didn't matter.

Last edited by mdavej; Today at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 6 Pcie 5205 Dct06in Pcie Six Tuner Card For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Pci E