Latest Ceton InfiniTV 6 Info Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1171 of 1184 Old 11-05-2016, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 386
The glitch is purely Comcast's own creation. A cable tuner like Ceton and HDHR Prime simply extracts transport stream from the digital cable channel and send over to other devices for recording or decode and playback. The tuner could careless about what's inside the transport stream. Nor the DVR recorders (dump the transport stream to disc). But the playback device needs to decode and play the video back. Looks like Comcast created some weird H.264 protected transport stream that is only compatible with their own cable boxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1184 Old 11-05-2016, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
The glitch is purely Comcast's own creation. A cable tuner like Ceton and HDHR Prime simply extracts transport stream from the digital cable channel and send over to other devices for recording or decode and playback. The tuner could careless about what's inside the transport stream. Nor the DVR recorders (dump the transport stream to disc). But the playback device needs to decode and play the video back. Looks like Comcast created some weird H.264 protected transport stream that is only compatible with their own cable boxes.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. There are threads and posts all over TIVo Community Forum about it.

TiVo and Comcast had to get together, discover the culprit and create a fix.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #1173 of 1184 Old 11-14-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. There are threads and posts all over TIVo Community Forum about it.

TiVo and Comcast had to get together, discover the culprit and create a fix.
Well, while I was away for a week, Comcast obviously moved to MP4 on some or all of my premiums. I have at least a couple that are no signal, at least one with sound only. My sense is that before I get a video card (now Intel HD 2000 Chip only), I should:
A. Reboot the PC, B. Have Comcast send signal refresh, C. Be sure I have the latest driver updates for the HD 2000 chip and maybe D. Allow Comcast a few weeks to sort out any errors they may have made that others may be complaining about.

What think, guys?

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
post #1174 of 1184 Old 11-14-2016, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think a few weeks will do any good. Others have complained for almost a year now IIRC
post #1175 of 1184 Old 11-15-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I have no doubt you are right, but figured it costs nothing to try. I have also found out that, contrary to what I stated in an earlier post, Comcast supplied me with a Cisco (SA) cable card which some say is at the heart of the problem.

I will see if they can give me a Motorola card, but I am not sure if they would use both types within one system.

Assuming I have to bite the bullet on a card, can anyone recommend a decent one that will not create issues like slow channel changes, handshake issues etc.?

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
post #1176 of 1184 Old 11-15-2016, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
I have no doubt you are right, but figured it costs nothing to try. I have also found out that, contrary to what I stated in an earlier post, Comcast supplied me with a Cisco (SA) cable card which some say is at the heart of the problem.

I will see if they can give me a Motorola card, but I am not sure if they would use both types within one system.

Assuming I have to bite the bullet on a card, can anyone recommend a decent one that will not create issues like slow channel changes, handshake issues etc.?

If they gave you a Cisco cablecard then that means they're using a Scientific Atlanta/Cisco headend and therefore a Motorola/Arris cablecard will not work, nor do you any good.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #1177 of 1184 Old 11-15-2016, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What he said ^

Don't blame Cisco CableCard for Comcast's problem. I have been using my Cisco CableCard from Cox since HDHR Prime first released (long time ago). Never had any problem and no issue with H.264 copy-protected channels either.

The brand of CableCard must match what equipment used in your local cable plant.

Motorola card has totally different activation procedure (require extra data ID).
Dave Harper likes this.
post #1178 of 1184 Old 11-16-2016, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, guys. I was sort of afraid of that. I also expected not to be able to get these channels on the Echo but I did not expect the issue on the HTPC itself which is what I am seeing. As noted, sound only. I will get a Comcast refresh this weekend (no time before that) and check to see I have the latest driver in my Intel IG Chip, but if those all fail, it is time for a video card right? I do not fear that or its cost but wil be PO'ed if that does not solve the issue so if there is anything I have forgotten, would certainly welcome your input. Again, thanks to you guys!

post #1179 of 1184 Old 11-16-2016, 08:05 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 765
^ Is it confirmed that Windows Media Center supports the new MP4 video format? That strikes me as the most likely problem here. Is it only premium channels that are flagged Copy Once that are using MP4 video? If not and you have some samples that aren't Copy Once that also give you no video, try playing them in another program such as VLC. This will help confirm if WMC is the issue or not.
post #1180 of 1184 Old 11-16-2016, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
^ Is it confirmed that Windows Media Center supports the new MP4 video format? That strikes me as the most likely problem here. Is it only premium channels that are flagged Copy Once that are using MP4 video? If not and you have some samples that aren't Copy Once that also give you no video, try playing them in another program such as VLC. This will help confirm if WMC is the issue or not.
There is a long thread here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...hp?f=30&t=9635.
h.264 is included in mp4, right?
My own experience with Comcast is they announced Spring '16 that they were changing over and then announced again for Fall '16. They finally did change over and I can view all the channels on my PC with WMC which has an ATI/AMD Radeon HD 7570 video card. On my XBOX 360 extender, I get audio but not video for live H.264 content with Copy Once protection but I can watch H.264 with Copy Free. I tried watching recorded H.264 Copy Once protected video on the xbox and I was able to get some video frames but it was still unwatchable.
post #1181 of 1184 Old 11-16-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea3 View Post
There is a long thread here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...hp?f=30&t=9635.
h.264 is included in mp4, right?
My own experience with Comcast is they announced Spring '16 that they were changing over and then announced again for Fall '16. They finally did change over and I can view all the channels on my PC with WMC which has an ATI/AMD Radeon HD 7570 video card. On my XBOX 360 extender, I get audio but not video for live H.264 content with Copy Once protection but I can watch H.264 with Copy Free. I tried watching recorded H.264 Copy Once protected video on the xbox and I was able to get some video frames but it was still unwatchable.

For me the extender not playing the premiums is something I can live with, but the damn HTPC is not playing them either and that is the rub.

post #1182 of 1184 Old 11-16-2016, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
For me the extender not playing the premiums is something I can live with, but the damn HTPC is not playing them either and that is the rub.
I found a nice summary about the problem: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...09&f=6#p107409

1. Mpeg4 h.264 DRM Premium channels do not work with a Ceton Echo WMC extender
2. Mpeg4 h.264 DRM Premium channels do not work with a XBOX 360 WMC Extender
3. Mpeg4 h.264 DRM Premium channels do not work with some intel onboard graphics WMC computers

I would add that I have not heard of it working with any intel onboard graphics. I think a video card that works with the protected content is an option for some but not all systems can accommodate an add-on video card.
post #1183 of 1184 Old 11-16-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea3 View Post
I found a nice summary about the problem: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...09&f=6#p107409

1. Mpeg4 h.264 DRM Premium channels do not work with a Ceton Echo WMC extender
2. Mpeg4 h.264 DRM Premium channels do not work with a XBOX 360 WMC Extender
3. Mpeg4 h.264 DRM Premium channels do not work with some intel onboard graphics WMC computers

I would add that I have not heard of it working with any intel onboard graphics. I think a video card that works with the protected content is an option for some but not all systems can accommodate an add-on video card.

I have read about your 1,2, and 3 and think you are bscially right. Regarding 3, there seems to be mixed experiences and lots of questions as to "why" since Intel's specs state they can play the h.264 ok.May be a DRM issue. It costs me nothing to update my driver and maybe the playready before I get a card, which happily I have space for in my PC. Also a signal refresh from Commiecast is simple.

post #1184 of 1184 Old 11-17-2016, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Well last night was interesting. I did have some time when the system was not going to be used for live TV, so I called Comcast for a refresh on the automated system. When I verified my house number and selected TV issue as topic, I got a recording that stated there were system outages in my area and they would be fixed by 9:45 PM. It asked if I wanted a phone call when work completed and I said "yes". No call ever came. What I do see is missing guide info from many of the HD channels. STD all there, networks all there, but the "true cable" I guess you call it is all missing ("No Data Available" Message). From this I surmise Comcast is having trouble in my town, maybe they are finally working to upgrade (our system is labeled as non-rebuild.)

Then I got curious about whether they really have gone to MPEG4 or not so I tuned in Channel 1910 HBO HD, got the sound only and tried to analyse using 411, CTRL,D. I got the debug screen but the tuner went to channel 411 (reggae music!) and all I got was the info for that. Anyone know how I can fix that issue? I clicked the damn keyboard as fast as I could.

Net of all this is I think it best to wait until Comcast settles things down before I run out willy-nilly and install a graphics card. I did hear back promptly from Ceton who stated that Intel's IG chips cannot decode encrypted MPEG4 (I guess unencrypted they do ok).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 6 Pcie 5205 Dct06in Pcie Six Tuner Card For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Pci E

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page