3Likes

post #181 of 997 Old 05-23-2013, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

There are only two extenders on moca. The rest of the setup is cat6. I record all content to a central 16gb i5 machine. The only software it's running is Ceton and version 2 of MB.

What OS? If Microsoft, I will assume you are also running Windows Defender (or a version of it). If so, make sure you disable scanning of the media drives and the network drives on it. On your other PCs, disable scanning of the media locations. You know what is there, you put it there yourself, there is no need to scan it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 997 Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 AM

Is there any way to speed up the tuning? I use a static IP address, so it does not need to find the tuner every time it goes to use it - the tuner is always at the same IP address. The initial tuning is just so horrifically painful.
post #183 of 997 Old 05-23-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Quote:

There are only two extenders on moca. The rest of the setup is cat6. I record all content to a central 16gb i5 machine. The only software it's running is Ceton and version 2 of MB.

What OS? If Microsoft, I will assume you are also running Windows Defender (or a version of it). If so, make sure you disable scanning of the media drives and the network drives on it. On your other PCs, disable scanning of the media locations. You know what is there, you put it there yourself, there is no need to scan it.

I am running essentials, yes. I am not scanning any media locations. Other than the new Ethernet Ceton tuner and software nothing else has changed. Ill have to look deeper..

In search of video bliss...
post #184 of 997 Old 05-24-2013, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

You say it works fine until you run a software program on the PC, then the tuner acts up. That doesn't necessarily narrow the problem down to the device.

Software can disrupt network tuners. I had a Dell utility that ran every day at noon, and when it started my HDHR Prime tuners would stop and report a signal loss. Maybe your browser or a plugin is interfering with network traffic. Have you tried using a different browser or accessing the device webpage from a different pc on the network?

I'm not using other software. I'm using the built in / internal webpage on the InfiniTV6 ETH. This is the page if you type in the InfiniTV IP address into your browser. It's intended for diagnostics. If I use this web page to check signal strength on a specific channel across all the tuners, then all TV is pixelated until the InfiniTV is restarted or all tuners are tuned from WMC.

I have tested this from Safari (iOS, OSX), IE10, Chrome.
post #185 of 997 Old 05-24-2013, 05:09 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

I'm not using other software. I'm using the built in / internal webpage on the InfiniTV6 ETH. This is the page if you type in the InfiniTV IP address into your browser. It's intended for diagnostics. If I use this web page to check signal strength on a specific channel across all the tuners, then all TV is pixelated until the InfiniTV is restarted or all tuners are tuned from WMC.

You sort of answered the question by noting multiple browsers creating the problem, but I believe all he was getting at was that the "software" you are using was your web browser. Plug-ins, or simply an incompatible browser, could be responsible for problems; it's not necessarily the device itself. That being said, since the issue occurs across multiple platforms and browsers, it would seem to indicate a little more that it's a device-related (or at least Ceton-software-related) issue.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke
post #186 of 997 Old 05-24-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreese831 View Post

You sort of answered the question by noting multiple browsers creating the problem, but I believe all he was getting at was that the "software" you are using was your web browser. Plug-ins, or simply an incompatible browser, could be responsible for problems; it's not necessarily the device itself. That being said, since the issue occurs across multiple platforms and browsers, it would seem to indicate a little more that it's a device-related (or at least Ceton-software-related) issue.
That's exactly what I was getting at.
post #187 of 997 Old 05-24-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 244
If simply look at the device webpage can interrupt tuner operations, it is definitely a fault within the device itself. Blaming on other software is ridiculous.
post #188 of 997 Old 05-24-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

If simply look at the device webpage can interrupt tuner operations, it is definitely a fault within the device itself. Blaming on other software is ridiculous.
I never said the device couldn't be at fault and I didn't place the blame anywhere. The point I was trying to make was that the device had not yet been proven to be at fault.
post #189 of 997 Old 05-24-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

You can believe whatever you like. But from the description shortcut3d provided, I believe it is entirely the fault of the device.
post #190 of 997 Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Can you do the same test, only using the Ceton Diagnostic Tool to do the channel tuning and stopping instead of the web page? They both do the same thing, but one of them uses HTML in the process of doing it. It will help locate the issue a little better. It does appear to be something on your device, most likely some kind of abnormal issue with it since it is not happening with mine. Also, you might have said, but what firmwares are you running? I am using the latest beta of both.
post #191 of 997 Old 05-24-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can believe whatever you like. But from the description shortcut3d provided, I believe it is entirely the fault of the device.
I think it's probably the device too, but before he said that it happened when accessing the device webpage from Safari/iOS I wasn't so sure.
post #192 of 997 Old 05-24-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I think Ceton should dig into the details. Some bugs just don't show up in all cases. That's the bug that is hardest to fix. Like I mentioned before, this is the first network tuner product from Ceton, there are bound to have some networking issues.
post #193 of 997 Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Liked: 10
I am setting up the InfiniTV 6 ETH for the first time. However, I am very familiar with the process since I have been using the PCIe 4 card for years now.

My question is do I have to install the Network Tuner part of the software and run the Ceton Network Tuners plugin described in Step 5 of the Quick Install Guide sheet? What is the purpose of running this plugin? I skipped the Network tuner step and my WMC runs fine.
post #194 of 997 Old 05-24-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talems View Post

I am setting up the InfiniTV 6 ETH for the first time. However, I am very familiar with the process since I have been using the PCIe 4 card for years now.

My question is do I have to install the Network Tuner part of the software and run the Ceton Network Tuners plugin described in Step 5 of the Quick Install Guide sheet? What is the purpose of running this plugin? I skipped the Network tuner step and my WMC runs fine.

Network Tuner is for USB and PCIe only. The ETH model using Pooling which is in the device fw / hw.
Quote:

Can you do the same test, only using the Ceton Diagnostic Tool to do the channel tuning and stopping instead of the web page? They both do the same thing, but one of them uses HTML in the process of doing it. It will help locate the issue a little better. It does appear to be something on your device, most likely some kind of abnormal issue with it since it is not happening with mine. Also, you might have said, but what firmwares are you running? I am using the latest beta of both.

I'm running the latest beta fw 13.5.6.133 and sw 7359.

The Ceton Diagnostic Tool does not let you select the channel for tuning. After checking the channel on CableCARD tab multiple times, it only appeared to hit a single tuner. I've been running the InfiniTV6 for some time now so all the tuners have been tuned and have a channel "locked" but "STOPPED". Regardless, the pixelation does not happen using the Ceton Diagnostic Tool or WMC.
Quote:

I think Ceton should dig into the details. Some bugs just don't show up in all cases. That's the bug that is hardest to fix. Like I mentioned before, this is the first network tuner product from Ceton, there are bound to have some networking issues.

Ceton support finally escalated me to engineering. Apparently, the wireshark capture had a lot of errors in the stream. It was somewhat frustrating because support repeatedly asked to trouble shoot the network. They seemed to have a hard time understanding that 6 tuners through WMC is OK, but 4 tuned through InfiniTV6 ETH device webpage causes severe full screen pixelation.
post #195 of 997 Old 05-24-2013, 07:05 PM

Ah, I did not realize it is only using one tuner from the diagnostics screen. I am glad they are now seriously looking at your card.
post #196 of 997 Old 05-26-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
nope, the PCIe 4 version will take care of this problem for you.

as far as tuning speed goes, the ETH version is a downgrade!
post #197 of 997 Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Is there any way to speed up the tuning? I use a static IP address, so it does not need to find the tuner every time it goes to use it - the tuner is always at the same IP address. The initial tuning is just so horrifically painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

nope, the PCIe 4 version will take care of this problem for you.

as far as tuning speed goes, the ETH version is a downgrade!

Has this been acknowledged by Ceton and they are working to speed up the tuning? I am having 8-30 seconds of wait time tuning between channels. If the speed doesn't improve, this ETH device is going back and I am going with 2x Silicondust primes. The Prime tuning is FAST!
post #198 of 997 Old 05-26-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talems View Post

Has this been acknowledged by Ceton and they are working to speed up the tuning? I am having 8-30 seconds of wait time tuning between channels. If the speed doesn't improve, this ETH device is going back and I am going with 2x Silicondust primes. The Prime tuning is FAST!

I have not heard anything from Ceton. I tried static IP and DHCP reservations with no improvement. I also did the network throttling registry fix and did not see any change.
post #199 of 997 Old 05-26-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have not heard anything from Ceton. I tried static IP and DHCP reservations with no improvement. I also did the network throttling registry fix and did not see any change.

maybe add a network switch to your network? or a different router?

is it a giga speed ethernet, or whatever they call it?
post #200 of 997 Old 05-26-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:

maybe add a network switch to your network? or a different router?

is it a giga speed ethernet, or whatever they call it?

My network is already gigabit throughout. The HTPC components, extenders, InfiniTV6 are all on the same gigabit switch at the end of the network. This setup was extremely reliable and fast with the HDHomeRun Prime 6CC.
post #201 of 997 Old 05-26-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
It would seem that ceton network devices are having issues of late..

post #202 of 997 Old 05-26-2013, 02:11 PM

I think we all can agree the Ceton Ethernet tuner is terribly slow in tuning.
post #203 of 997 Old 05-26-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you can think all you want.
I know of someone on thegreen etc... forum.... thread that says this about the ETH version:

"Tuning speed equal to InfiniTV 4 PCIE on my system if not slightly faster. Plus tuners seem to have more immediate availability."

I think we can all agree that you are jumping to conclusions.
post #204 of 997 Old 05-26-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

you can think all you want.
I know of someone on thegreen etc... forum.... thread that says this about the ETH version:

"Tuning speed equal to InfiniTV 4 PCIE on my system if not slightly faster. Plus tuners seem to have more immediate availability."

is it your contention that the ETH tunes faster than the PCIe? if so please share the secret sauce.
Not even close in my setup. Since I added the ETH I can pake a cake wink.gif while I wait for a channel to tune.

post #205 of 997 Old 05-26-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

is it your contention that the ETH tunes faster than the PCIe? if so please share the secret sauce.
Not even close in my setup. Since I added the ETH I can pake a cake wink.gif while I wait for a channel to tune.

yes it is my contention based on another user that on some system configurations the ETH is slightly faster or the same speed as the PCIe.

If I was you, I would wait until the end of the return period and if it's still slow as molasses, return it and wait for the PCIe 6 version to come out.
post #206 of 997 Old 05-26-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe his PCIe tuner is messed up. wink.gif
post #207 of 997 Old 05-26-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

From what I read, the PCIe version is also slower tuning channels compared to Silicodust network tuners. I can understand some of ETH owner's frustration because they came from a SD tuner. I hope Ceton can iron this out. I also hope SD can produce a 6-tuner model like ETH with H.264 transcoding hardware smile.gif
post #208 of 997 Old 05-26-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

yes it is my contention based on another user that on some system configurations the ETH is slightly faster or the same speed as the PCIe.

If I was you, I would wait until the end of the return period and if it's still slow as molasses, return it and wait for the PCIe 6 version to come out.

I actually am leaning towards the FW/Software being the culprit versus the actual ETH. I am hoping for an update to resolve.

post #209 of 997 Old 05-26-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From what I read, the PCIe version is also slower tuning channels compared to Silicodust network tuners. I can understand some of ETH owner's frustration because they came from a SD tuner. I hope Ceton can iron this out. I also hope SD can produce a 6-tuner model like ETH with H.264 transcoding hardware smile.gif

this is my situation exactly. I had a Sd tuner and the PCIe from ceton and since swapping the SD, I have noticed a significant drop in tuning speed.

post #210 of 997 Old 05-26-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't notice any difference in channel change speed between my HDHR3-CC and PCIe InfiniTV 4.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 6 Pcie 5205 Dct06in Pcie Six Tuner Card For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Pci E

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page