post #1 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=d8df9c2734d4388754bd41fd3&id=3811adc97c

Buy Now Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH Amazon

Quote:
InfiniTV 6 ETH is the world's most advanced network tuner for cable TV on the PC and a must-have accessory for Windows Media Center. It connects to your home network and lets you watch and record up to six live channels of HDTV on PCs throughout your home! Don't settle for only being able to record two or three shows at once. Restore family harmony and never argue again over whose show should be recorded! InfiniTV 6 ETH works with Windows Media Center to turn virtually any style of PC into the ultimate cable box and DVR! It supports all cable TV channels, including premium channels like HBO®, Showtime® and Starz®. When your PC is paired with a Ceton Echo media center extender or Xbox® 360, you can also watch TV and DVR on any TV set. Replace all your cable boxes and DVRs -- and get rid of those expensive monthly fees -- and enjoy your favorite shows in any room, all from a single cable connection and using a single CableCARD™. With a Ceton InfiniTV your PC becomes that nirvana entertainment box you've always wanted. Have all your media -- TV, DVR, music, photos, videos and Internet media services -- available from one awesome device.
Six Live HD Channels At Once Watch and/or record six live channels of standard-definition or high-definition TV simultaneously, including all your favorite premium and encrypted cable channels.

Whole-Home Entertainment
When used with media center extenders like the Ceton Echo or Xbox 360™, a Ceton InfiniTV turns your Media Center PC into a whole-home entertainment device. Enjoy live TV and all your DVR recordings on any TV set.

Share Across Multiple PCs
Since InfiniTV 6 ETH connects directly to your network, you can easily share its tuners with more than one PC*

Works with any U.S. cable provider
InfiniTV 6 ETH supports CableCARD and connects to any U.S. cable system to receive all SD and HD digital cable channels without needing a set-top box.

Supports Switched Digital Video
As cable providers move to Switched Digital Video (SDV) technology, rest assured that your Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH supports SDV Tuning Adapters just fine.

Save Tons of Money
When using InfiniTV on your PC you can save hundreds of dollars a year by avoiding monthly cable box lease and DVR fees.

Technical Specifications:
•Six QAM 64/256 tuners
•CableCARD M-Card DRM Processor
•Open Cable Unidirectional Receiver Specification - OC-SP-OCUR-I10-100910
•Digital Receiver Interface Specification - OC-SP-DRI-I04-100910
•CableCARD Copy Protection 2.0 Specification - OC-SP-CCCP2.0-I10-090904
•CableCARD Interface 2.0 Specification - OC-SP-CCIF2.0-I22-100910
•Digital Cable Network Interface Standard - ANSI/SCTE 40 2011

* Note: assigning tuners between different PCs is a supported feature while dynamic tuner pooling between multiple PCs is currently a beta feature.

Quote:
InfiniTV 6 PCIe will be available in June.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Glad it is finally out.

Looks like it will be a stiff competition between InifiniTV6 EXT and SDHRP4.

Ceton wins on the tuner count. HDHRP4 will win on DLNA DCT-IP functionality. Unless, Ceton plans to introduce that too, for "no HTPC needed" option.

Commented in the other thread, perhaps Ceton people can shed some light as to why TA connection is mini-USB, when most TA's ship with standard USB cable? Will there be a Mini USB to USB adapter in the packaging, or will the end user have to source one, or a very rare B-USB to Mini-USB cable?

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
JRiver Media Center 18.0.180 or above work with the Ceton InfiniTV 4. If anyone has the 6, I'll provide a license if you can confirm that the trial version of MC works. Just send me a private message. I'm jimh at jriver.

Ceton thread on JRiver forum.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #4 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Glad it is finally out.

Looks like it will be a stiff competition between InifiniTV6 EXT and SDHRP4.

Ceton wins on the tuner count. HDHRP4 will win on DLNA DCT-IP functionality. Unless, Ceton plans to introduce that too, for "no HTPC needed" option.

Commented in the other thread, perhaps Ceton people can shed some light as to why TA connection is mini-USB, when most TA's ship with standard USB cable? Will there be a Mini USB to USB adapter in the packaging, or will the end user have to source one, or a very rare B-USB to Mini-USB cable?

The TA connection is Mini-USB due to physical size constraints (this is the same size as the InfiniTV 4 USB). A Mini-USB to USB B cable (the connector on the TA) is included with the InfiniTV ETH, so you will not need to purchase an additional USB cable.
snappjay likes this.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #5 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

The TA connection is Mini-USB due to physical size constraints (this is the same size as the InfiniTV 4 USB). A Mini-USB to USB B cable (the connector on the TA) is included with the InfiniTV ETH, so you will not need to purchase an additional USB cable.

Eric, congrats to you and your team for getting this out to market. I just ordered mine from Amazon Prime.
post #6 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 AM

Liked: 15
Here is the ETH hardware setup/walkthrough video:
snappjay likes this.

Software Developer on My Media Center -> Ceton Corp.

post #7 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 11:02 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Some questions I posted over at TGB to help decide between the 2 versions:

1. Is it safe to assume that the Ethernet version uses gigabit networking?

2. If 2 of the Ethernet version (so 12 tuners active at the same time) were being used at the same time, what sort of bandwidth would that chew up on the home network (assuming the channels are just being recorded and no extenders are currently in use)? Basically, what's the average bitrate for a typical HD channel that would end up going over the network for this purpose? Would it make sense to setup a separate network just for these (using a 2nd network adapter in the host PC and a switch to connect the PC and InfiniTV 6 ETH's to each other) - I probably wouldn't be sharing the tuners with other PC's?

3. Will dynamic tuner sharing only be supported on the Ethernet version or will it eventually be supported on the PCIe version too?

4. How is the heat output of the 6 tuner PCIe card expected to compare to the 4 tuner version (I've got a pair of the original pre-order hardware revision from the 4 tuner card in my PC)? The plan would be to replace my 2 InfiniTV 4 PCIe's with a pair of PCIe InfiniTV 6 PCIe's, a pair of InfiniTV 6 ETH's, or 1 of each.
post #8 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Another question - is there an internal amp to compensate for the 6-way split on either or both?

xnappo
post #9 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

2. If 2 of the Ethernet version (so 12 tuners active at the same time) were being used at the same time, what sort of bandwidth would that chew up on the home network (assuming the channels are just being recorded and no extenders are currently in use)? Basically, what's the average bitrate for a typical HD channel that would end up going over the network for this purpose? Would it make sense to setup a separate network just for these (using a 2nd network adapter in the host PC and a switch to connect the PC and InfiniTV 6 ETH's to each other) - I probably wouldn't be sharing the tuners with other PC's?

3. Will dynamic tuner sharing only be supported on the Ethernet version or will it eventually be supported on the PCIe version too?

4. How is the heat output of the 6 tuner PCIe card expected to compare to the 4 tuner version (I've got a pair of the original pre-order hardware revision from the 4 tuner card in my PC)? The plan would be to replace my 2 InfiniTV 4 PCIe's with a pair of PCIe InfiniTV 6 PCIe's, a pair of InfiniTV 6 ETH's, or 1 of each.

Answers I posted on TGB:
1. Yes, Gigabit. 100Mbit would be too tight with 6 HD streams going.
2. On a switched network, it is point to point. If all 12 streams were typical HD streams (15mbps) and going to the same PC, that would result in about 180mbit/sec of traffic to that PC.
3. Dynamic tuner sharing was developed as a feature for the InfiniTV ETH. At this time we are not developing it for the PCIe or USB InfiniTV.
4. It should be pretty comparable. While there are more tuners, we actually are using newer parts to require fewer chips in the unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Another question - is there an internal amp to compensate for the 6-way split on either or both?

xnappo

The InfiniTV ETH 6 is designed to compensate for any internal RF losses
wackychimp and snappjay like this.

post #10 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

I assume that I will have to call up the cable company once I unplug my current iTV4 and plug in the iTV6 to get everything paired up again? I imagine there will be a different set of numbers for the new equipment, even though it's the same CableCARD.
post #11 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappjay View Post

I assume that I will have to call up the cable company once I unplug my current iTV4 and plug in the iTV6 to get everything paired up again? I imagine there will be a different set of numbers for the new equipment, even though it's the same CableCARD.

Correct. A CableCARD needs to be paired with any new device it is installed in, even if it is the same brand/model.
snappjay likes this.

post #12 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Any plans to support tuner sharing on Windows 8? I know for the iTV4, unless its changed recently, that functionality was not supported.
post #13 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Answers I posted on TGB:
1. Yes, Gigabit. 100Mbit would be too tight with 6 HD streams going.
2. On a switched network, it is point to point. If all 12 streams were typical HD streams (15mbps) and going to the same PC, that would result in about 180mbit/sec of traffic to that PC.
3. Dynamic tuner sharing was developed as a feature for the InfiniTV ETH. At this time we are not developing it for the PCIe or USB InfiniTV.
4. It should be pretty comparable. While there are more tuners, we actually are using newer parts to require fewer chips in the unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

xnappo

The InfiniTV ETH 6 is designed to compensate for any internal RF losses

This is still in beta, no? Are there stability problems with it?

post #14 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

Any plans to support tuner sharing on Windows 8? I know for the iTV4, unless its changed recently, that functionality was not supported.

The InfiniTV 6 ETH will support both Windows 7 and Windows 8 clients for tuner sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

This is still in beta, no? Are there stability problems with it?

There aren't any significant issues that we are aware of, but it's still a relatively new feature so we are labeling it beta until it gets some more testing/real-world feedback.

post #15 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motz2k1 View Post

Here is the ETH hardware setup/walkthrough video:

You don't have Charter listed on the CableCARD activation sheet and don't cover Tuning Resolver set-up?

post #16 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

You don't have Charter listed on the CableCARD activation sheet and don't cover Tuning Resolver set-up?

I don't believe Charter has a customer-facing, national CableCARD number. If you think otherwise, we'll be happy to add it.

As far as the TA, you basically just plug it in - I'll see about getting that added to a future video rev.

post #17 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:

I don't believe Charter has a customer-facing, national CableCARD number. If you think otherwise, we'll be happy to add it.

As far as the TA, you basically just plug it in - I'll see about getting that added to a future video rev.
Unfortunately they don't have a national CC number, AFAIK. But you mentioned working with different providers to get 6-tuner TA firmware pushed out. Is Charter one of them, or will we likely have issues? I think Charter uses both Cisco and Motorola TA's too. So would both be up to date or not?

Thanks
post #18 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Unfortunately they don't have a national CC number, AFAIK. But you mentioned working with different providers to get 6-tuner TA firmware pushed out. Is Charter one of them, or will we likely have issues? I think Charter uses both Cisco and Motorola TA's too. So would both be up to date or not?

Thanks

All Cisco TAs are already up to date (there is no Cisco TA firmware that meets current FCC regulations, but does not support all 6 tuners). I also worked with Charter last year to get their Motorola FW updated, so Charter users should also be OK.

post #19 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 03:01 PM

Liked: 147
I am seriously thinking of moving to an external tuner to get the heat out of my case - and might as well go to 6 streams when I do it. Have to wait for more spare cash, though...building a basement bathroom is expensive.
post #20 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I wonder how close the last beta firmware is to the production software on this new external unit?

It may just be coincidental this afternoon but I am getting a huge amount of breakup and pixelization with the latest beta PCIe 4 tuner firmware which I downloaded today.

Again it could be Comcast this afternoon but I have not seen this kind of performance in a year.. it makes me nervous to jump into buying more Ceton stuff though I much prefer the idea of a stand alone tuner then one based on a dedicated PC host. It is so much easier to queue up another PC if a virus or hardware failure hits. I have had a couple of Silicon Dust ATSC dual tuners in production for years and I never give them a thought. They work as appliances as did my Tivo. I can't say my Ceton experience has been anything like that so far but it is what I am looking for.

Just another blank signature.
post #21 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I am seriously thinking of moving to an external tuner to get the heat out of my case - and might as well go to 6 streams when I do it.

The 4 tuner USB version already runs pretty hot. I wonder how hot the 6-tuner ethernet version (presumably with a built-in amplifier) will run. "Pretty comparable" according to Ceton, but I'd like to hear some actual numbers from a third party.
post #22 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I wonder how close the last beta firmware is to the production software on this new external unit?

It may just be coincidental this afternoon but I am getting a huge amount of breakup and pixelization with the latest beta PCIe 4 tuner firmware which I downloaded today.

Again it could be Comcast this afternoon but I have not seen this kind of performance in a year.. it makes me nervous to jump into buying more Ceton stuff though I much prefer the idea of a stand alone tuner then one based on a dedicated PC host. It is so much easier to queue up another PC if a virus or hardware failure hits. I have had a couple of Silicon Dust ATSC dual tuners in production for years and I never give them a thought. They work as appliances as did my Tivo. I can't say my Ceton experience has been anything like that so far but it is what I am looking for.

I have had no problems with the newest betas.
post #23 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post

The 4 tuner USB version already runs pretty hot. I wonder how hot the 6-tuner ethernet version (presumably with a built-in amplifier) will run. "Pretty comparable" according to Ceton, but I'd like to hear some actual numbers from a third party.

I had to put a fan blowing down across mine - it is very close to my video card and the heat of the two so close together was causing video problems.
post #24 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 05:29 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

All Cisco TAs are already up to date (there is no Cisco TA firmware that meets current FCC regulations, but does not support all 6 tuners). I also worked with Charter last year to get their Motorola FW updated, so Charter users should also be OK.

Can you elaborate a bit? Does this mean if we have a Cisco TA (say with TWC) we can only get SDV on 4 of the 6 channels?
post #25 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psy44 View Post

Quote:

Can you elaborate a bit? Does this mean if we have a Cisco TA (say with TWC) we can only get SDV on 4 of the 6 channels?

He said there is not a cisco firmware that supports only 4 tuners... the old ones that don't currently meet fcc regulations supported 2 and the new ones support all 6... there are some moto firmwares that only support 4
post #26 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

What Cisco f/w number? I'm on 1602f I believe.

post #27 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any of the cisco ones in use today sammy, as if they don't, they are not meeting FCC regs as supporting at least 4. I believe 1402 was the first but it may have been 1401... They have been required to support at least 4 tuners since 2011 but cisco chose to do support of 6 at that time since the cards could do 6... I remember ceton "taking the credit" for this as they said they sent them i6's for testing rather than i4's
post #28 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 07:08 PM

Liked: 10
1) will there be Mac support - even just for unprotected channels
2) will there be transcoding support, like HDHR4, for viewing in tablet/phone
3) will there be DTCP-IP support, like HDHR4
4) will there be programming API support, like HDHR(3 or 4)
post #29 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:

I have had no problems with the newest betas.

I have to take that back - I lost all my tuners this evening for the first time in a LONG time (think well over a year). Anyone know how to roll back a firmware update? The previous beta firmware was great, this one...not so happy.
post #30 of 958 Old 05-13-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

The FW that is on the units from the factory is actually older than our production released FW (due to manufacturing lead times) - we recommend all purchasers upgrade to the firmware offered in the diagnostic utility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy44 View Post

As others have mentioned, all Cisco TA users will get all 6 channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netant View Post

1) will there be Mac support - even just for unprotected channels
2) will there be transcoding support, like HDHR4, for viewing in tablet/phone
3) will there be DTCP-IP support, like HDHR4
4) will there be programming API support, like HDHR(3 or 4)
Quote:

I am seriously thinking of moving to an external tuner to get the heat out of my case - and might as well go to 6 streams when I do it. Have to wait for more spare cash, though...building a basement bathroom is expensive.

1. It will work with any software the existing PCIe and USB InfiniTV work with.
2. There is no transcoding support in hardware
3. There is no DNLA support at this time
4. I'm a little unclear what you're looking for here. All of our tuners support the DRI, which is a publicaly available spec, and several products have implemented support using this.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 6 Pcie 5205 Dct06in Pcie Six Tuner Card For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Pci E

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page