Media Browser Library problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-13-2013, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to HTPC's and I have set up my HTPC according to Assassin's guides. The guide has been very useful, however, I have a question about setting up Media Browser and it's library.

I have quite a substantial movie collection of 720p-1080p movies which continues to grow past 16tb. The collection is stored on 4 x 3tb and one 4tb external drives. My question is, is there is an alternative way to add these to the Media Browser library, and have it under so that the library is seamless and does not have numerous icons ( As the drives are added from differing locations)?

I was looking at purchasing a DAS system (Hotway 8 Bay DAS) so that I may better manage the drives and make them more manageable. Would the only way to remedy the problem be to run a raid system (Striped)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Adding them as they are should produce a library that's totally integrated and not as indivdual folders, unless you have set each individual folder as a seperate source.

In the MB configurator you should only have 2 folders, unless you've set-up seperate profiles, being Movies and TV Shows, then within each of those you should add your folders eg

Movies
c:\Movies
d:\Movies

and so on and similarly so with TV Series.

This will then give a totally integrated library view.

TV Shows - are slightly different in that they have to be housed on the same dirve to show in 1 series, otherwise they will be listed individually - a restricition of MB I'm afraid.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the speedy reply.

I followed your instruction and renamed the folder on each drive to HD Movies, however, when I added them to Media Browser it automatically renamed the second as HD Movies1 as you cannot have the same file names...

I then removed the movies from the folder on each drive and deleted the "Movies " folder. Obviously this just left the movies on the drive.. Now it shows the drive letters..
Quote:
Adding them as they are should produce a library that's totally integrated and not as indivdual folders, unless you have set each individual folder as a seperate source.

I believe that your statement above is indeed correct, and Media Browser regards the two drives as being separate sources. Hence my question.

It seems that running the drives in a striped raid configuration will be the only remedy.

Do you have any other ideas????
post #4 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

You got all that from my response - lol. Didn't think it was all that detailed.

Anyway MB expects a certain folder/file structure to accurately scrape and display the information. My previous reponse assumed you had your movies in individual folders within a root level Movies folder, if they aren't I would recommend that you rearrange your folder structure to that.

My own structure looks like this

C:\Movies\Name of the Movie (year)\Movie File and this is the same over all my drives where there are movie files eg:
D:Movies\Name of the Movie (year)\Movie File
E:Movies\Name of the Movie (year)\Movie File

Unfortunately I cannot supply a screenshot of the MB Configurator - currently testing MB3. But open the Configurator and go to Media Collection

In the Configurator, on the “Media Collection” tab, Click the Add button at the bottom left and browse to your folder containing your movies. (For Example: C:\Movies)

After selecting OK a new Media Collection will be created with the same name as the actual folder you selected. In this case “Movies”. In the right hand box, you now continue adding the movie folders from the other drives ie D:\Movies, E:\Movies etc.

Now exit and open Media Browser and providing you have followed those instructions your movies should be presented in a seamless library format.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

TV Shows - are slightly different in that they have to be housed on the same dirve to show in 1 series, otherwise they will be listed individually - a restricition of MB I'm afraid.

Hi Steelman1991. Just to be clear, are you saying that for TV Shows, all seasons must reside on a single hard drive for MB to display seamlessly? Or just that all episodes of a season must be on a single hard drive for MB to display seamlessly. The latter case makes total sense, but had hoped that I could span a series to multiple HDDs by splitting the individual seasons (not episodes) onto different HDDs. Thanks for your help.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

Hi Steelman1991. Just to be clear, are you saying that for TV Shows, all seasons must reside on a single hard drive for MB to display seamlessly? Or just that all episodes of a season must be on a single hard drive for MB to display seamlessly. The latter case makes total sense, but had hoped that I could span a series to multiple HDDs by splitting the individual seasons (not episodes) onto different HDDs. Thanks for your help.

Hi Vlad - TV Shows/seasons have to reside on the same disc otherwise you'll get multiple entries for the same show.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Hi Vlad - TV Shows/seasons have to reside on the same disc otherwise you'll get multiple entries for the same show.

That's very good to know. Glad I got out in front of this before building up my TV show library. Thank you for helping me to avoid the pitfall smile.gif

post #8 of 8 Old 05-15-2013, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Steelman, thank you for your assistance with configuring my media library. I followed your instructions and I now have all of my movies in the same directory.

Thanks again.

Brad
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page