Simple question from a beginner about EDID issues. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-14-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off sorry if this is the wrong forum but i am unsure where else to put this.
Anyway to the topic at hand, my current tv has an EDID issue over HDMI, it is a Sceptre X325BV-FHD, and while i did finally find a way to fix the EDID issue on nvidia drivers a few months back(editing registry values to disable HDMI audio every time i updated the drivers), i received a amd card today to replace it, and it has the same EDID issue that i had on the nvidia card(no surprise), however unlike the nvidia card, i am unsure if the registry fix will work for amd, besides that i would like to not have to deal with the issue whenever i update the drivers.

My questions are, is there a more long term fix?
I have no desire to use onboard audio over hdmi as i have a dedicated sound card, would uninstalling the hdmi audio driver and refusing to install it on each update fix/prevent it?

Any other suggestions?

Any help is much appreciated, and i apologize for any trouble caused by my question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-14-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
And what's the specific issue?
Tatsuya1221 likes this.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
post #3 of 10 Old 05-14-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

And what's the specific issue?

Oh my apologies, i'm not the best at describing things.
Specifically, the edid on my TV is corrupted, so connecting a pc to it makes the screen render in 1080p fine in itself, but the screen itself seems to be smaller with black lines around it, and 16:10, my guess is that it is rendering the image itself in 1680x1050, requiring me to bypass the EDID of the tv, using the reg edit from the EDID Override thread that disables audio over hdmi on nvidia cards worked in the past, but i do not know if it will work on AMD cards, nor did i find the info in that thread(though i will admit, i didn't check all 92 pages yet).

What i was asking was for info on how to fix it on AMD cards, i know how to edit the registry to fix it per driver update on nividia cards, but i do not know how to do so on amd cards, also i was asking if there was a more permanent option.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-14-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

So the native resolution is 1920x1080? Or 1920x1200? If that's a monitor it should accept a standard EDID for a monitor. I can post one but need the native resolution.
Tatsuya1221 likes this.

post #5 of 10 Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

No, it's a tv, and yes it is definitely 1920x1080(though the older models of this tv were 1080i, the newer models are 1080p, besides running it in 1080i makes it worse, pretty much all spectre tv's are rebranded sony bravia's, which i've heard are notorious for edid issues).
It also only effects my pc, my ps3, etc are not effected by this issue.

I should also point out that catalyst control center claims that my tv also supports 70hz according to the EDID, which it doesn't, it only supports 60.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Ok , so you could try any of the EDIDs listed on the table in my sig for HDTVs. There are SONY EDIDs and those marked with an (*). They all have an HD audio block but that won't affect the video part. So install one, and if it doesn't work, rollback, and pick another one. You should eventually find one that works.
Tatsuya1221 likes this.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your help so far.

I've tried a few and so far none of them work, in fact nothing changes at all, it's rather strange.

This is the method i used in the past to fix it on my nvidia card:
http://www.voetsjoeba.com/misc/edid/
as such i have my tv's edid from both moninfo(attempting the method spoken of in the edid override thread) as well as the minor edit keys for disabling audio over hdmi on nvidia cards.
If my only option is disabling audio over hdmi i am fine wit-h that, i do not use it anyway, i just wish to know if this method will work if this does not, and if there is a way to make it more permanent.

Thanks again for your help.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-14-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

If you have your TV EDID just use that to override, and that should be the best solution. I don't see why disabling audio should have any effect (except perhaps turning your TV into a monitor for the graphic driver).
Tatsuya1221 likes this.

post #9 of 10 Old 05-14-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

If you have your TV EDID just use that to override, and that should be the best solution. I don't see why disabling audio should have any effect (except perhaps turning your TV into a monitor for the graphic driver).

I have my tv's edid, and have tried editing it as per that thread's post, however nothing changes when i update the edid manually, so far the only thing that has worked has been disabling the audio drivers through the registry.
Oh and i forgot to mention this, but the VGA connection works fine, only the HDMI connection gives issues.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-14-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Nothing has worked, i'm completely at a loss, in desperation, i tried to edit the registry like was added in the link, but that didn't work either, i'm completely at a loss,at this point i just want to make my tv be seen as a monitor by my pc so that it will bypass the edid handshake problem like the nvidia card did, does anyone have any suggestions?

I'd really rather not regret a 300$ purchase, since the colors and screen are far worse than my much weaker nvidia gpu.

Is there any way for me to edit the EDID manually to fix it?

EDIT:Please ignore/close this thread, i should have posted this in the EDID override thread, my apologies.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page