Need help diagnosing XBMC video playback issue (green screen freezes with Intel / Openelec) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-15-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Hi folks. Still new to XBMC but have got most things working now they way I want except for some times after resuming from sleep, when I try to play a video the audio track will start up for a second before there's any video, then the audio stops and the screen will turn green (not the whole screen, just in the aspect ratio of the video to be played) and just freeze that way so that the only option to get out is to hold down the power button to shut down and power back up again. I haven't been able to find anything on this on the Openelec or XBMC forums yet so I'm a bit stumped trying to figure out what the issue could be, and so far the only reliable "solution" I've found is to turn on the HTPC, update the library and then wait around 5 minutes before I try to play a video. So needless to say this doesn't exactly help the WAF when we're ready to watch our movie or show and the missus has to ask me if the computer is "warmed up" yet, or worse when we're not patient enough and have to watch the screen go green and freeze up again knowing it will be at least another 5 minutes after we reboot before we can try again. So any ideas what could be going on here?

My HTPC is an Intel Celeron NUC running the latest stable version of Frodo and my videos are stored on an unRAID server with both ethernet connected to the router. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-16-2013, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you have hardware acceleration on if you do try turning it off and see if the problem goes away, it is in xbmc settings video. That is the only time I see green on the screen is when i turn it on
post #3 of 3 Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by desol007 View Post

Do you have hardware acceleration on if you do try turning it off and see if the problem goes away, it is in xbmc settings video. That is the only time I see green on the screen is when i turn it on

Thanks but I've tried watching videos with the HW acceleration off and there's a bit of stuttering. Maybe if I spent a little more on the i3 NUC instead of the Celeron version, but oh well.

I'm starting to think it's actually a network problem though anyway. The XBMC log from openelec the last time it happened ended with warnings like "timeout waiting for previous frame" and "asked for new data packet, with nothing available" which makes me think this is happening because of dropped connections to the unRAID server. I suspect its the Realtek NIC in the server. It's the one thing I was apprehensive about when I built that and I even bought an Intel NIC for the expansion slot until I started reading on the unRAID forums that the latest versions had gotten rid of the problems a lot of people were having with Realtek previously, so I sent it back. Shouldn't jump to conclusions yet until I know for sure that's the problem but seems like maybe I should have kept it after all.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page