Questions by someone in my family (Ceton - HdHomeRun Prime - Charter Cable) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 81 Old 05-25-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 168
That has been reported on avs in the dedicated thread too. Keep in mind that the network tuner pooling f/w is in beta right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 05-25-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Man 2011 View Post

I was looking at getting the Ceton infiniTV 6 ETH and I was looking at reviews on Amazon and one guy said he had and I quote "infiniTV 6 ETH Pixelatoin Demodulation Macroblocking popping errors" here is a link to a video of it doing it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leH5Lx8ex90&feature=youtu.be to me it looks like what a satellite does when it is not getting good signal. Can anyone confirm that this is a problem with the unit and not his cable? If this is a known problem does that HD Homerun Prime have it as well?

Thanks.
Don't know. But the 4 tuner model doesn't do it. The Homerun Prime is only 3 tuners. Are you interested in network tuners for some reason?
post #63 of 81 Old 05-25-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The HDHR Prime does not have this problem. The current f/w is rock solid and I have not seen the "Tuner not Available" error for months. I'd say it is a mature product at his point.

post #64 of 81 Old 05-25-2013, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Don't know. But the 4 tuner model doesn't do it. The Homerun Prime is only 3 tuners. Are you interested in network tuners for some reason?

No, I was interested in the 6 tuners with one card. I realize the HD Homerun Prime only has 3 but if it is more reliable I can swing an extra $2 a month for reliability. I would also consider the Ceton infiniTV 4 PCI if it is reliable and I can run 2 in the same machine. I really just wanted to only have to mess with one card.

Thanks.
post #65 of 81 Old 05-28-2013, 04:53 PM

I have both the HDhomrun prime and a ceton USB tuner. I have had nothing but issues with the Ceton and have finally asked them for an RMA replacement. I went as far as putting the working cabl;e card from the HD in the ceton and the ceton card in the Prime. The ceton still had issues and the prime functioned as expected. Since day one I have had nothing but issues with it and have submitted all the logs they requested. Noe they are asking for logs once again. The HD homerun prime setup up took less than an hour with the Charter technician and the only problem I have had with it is that Charter removed TA from my account when I returned the set top boxes. i hope the HDhomerun 4 tuner version is released soon so I can get all the ceton devioces on my system. I also have an echo which is less that reliable. An option as simple as the zoom funtion dooesn't even function properly. At least once a week I need to de-energize the echo and power it back up for it to work.

The short answer is if you want reliablbility go with the HDprime. Just mt .02
post #66 of 81 Old 05-28-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 CBR View Post

I have both the HDhomrun prime and a ceton USB tuner. I have had nothing but issues with the Ceton and have finally asked them for an RMA replacement. I went as far as putting the working cabl;e card from the HD in the ceton and the ceton card in the Prime. The ceton still had issues and the prime functioned as expected. Since day one I have had nothing but issues with it and have submitted all the logs they requested. Noe they are asking for logs once again. The HD homerun prime setup up took less than an hour with the Charter technician and the only problem I have had with it is that Charter removed TA from my account when I returned the set top boxes. i hope the HDhomerun 4 tuner version is released soon so I can get all the ceton devioces on my system. I also have an echo which is less that reliable. An option as simple as the zoom funtion dooesn't even function properly. At least once a week I need to de-energize the echo and power it back up for it to work.

The short answer is if you want reliablbility go with the HDprime. Just mt .02

Thanks, good to know.
post #67 of 81 Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I continue to have issues with my Ceton PCie 4. I have asked in the SD Prime thread for comparisons from those who have both and it seems either few people have both or are reluctant to post about it. I am ready for a more solid solution. I have seen the blue subscription required screen a half dozen times in the last week or so, since the last beta which had some ETH6 support built into it. I also get a ton more pixelated scenes than I use to.

The Ceton was working fairly well nit great but good until the latest beta ware. I have been having trouble with WMC freezing now when accessing cable channels via the guide. I just re-ran WMC TV Signal Setup. It is funny, the only solution to the freeze of WMC was pulling the power plug as the PC would become unresponsive to the keyboard with that nice blue circle on the screen. Tonight it did every time I accessed a cable channel through the guide. Can't say it was a Ceton problem or WMC. I finally reran WMC TV Signal Setup and was able to get to CNNHD. I have not tried to move around and change channels as I had 3 straight freezes that require pulling the power plug. It is quite hard to get to the backside of my HTPC and I am more than a little frustrated at this point.

Just another blank signature.
post #68 of 81 Old 05-28-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had both. I personally had more problems with the SD. Mine required daily reboots. But it's been reported that recent firmwares resolved those issues. My Ceton has been very reliable. In my case subscription required messages were related to DRM problems caused by changing hardware, updating firmwares or loading new drivers. It took a lot of time and effort to resolve those, but once resolved, my tuners have worked fine.
post #69 of 81 Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I've had both. I personally had more problems with the SD. Mine required daily reboots. But it's been reported that recent firmwares resolved those issues. My Ceton has been very reliable. In my case subscription required messages were related to DRM problems caused by changing hardware, updating firmwares or loading new drivers. It took a lot of time and effort to resolve those, but once resolved, my tuners have worked fine.

I only know that my experience with HD Homeruns which are clearly the forerunner of whatever SD is doing today are the most appliance like peripherals I have ever seen. If the Primes reach anywhere that level of robustness and resilience than that is what I am looking for. I think that when Ceton says you might need to run WMC TV Setup again after you do a firmware upgrade you should translate that as you better run WMC TV setup. For example tonight when my PC was hanging every time I tried to access a cable channel in WMC I had no problem accessing the same channel in JRiver.

I don't want to lead anyone down a garden path JRiver is not a more robust player of cablecard content than WMC especially if you are running madVR. But here I was having one hang after another tonight and been having them intermittently since the last beta ware and it appears knock on wood that running WMC TV Setup fixed it. I haven't touched the HD Homeruns in a couple of years and they have worked flawlessly on every box in the house. Sure CableCard is a lot more overhead and way more complicated but the support software has had more than enough time to mature. I would love an ETH-6 but unless someone can demonstrate it is a lot more appliance like than their other devices I just can't make anymore investments. Finally if SD CableCard tuners are no better just different, then I am about done with PC based Cable Card stuff. Enough time has passed it should just work or to heck with it.

post #70 of 81 Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

My Prime does "just work".

post #71 of 81 Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 200
^ Yeah, that. My 2 also.
post #72 of 81 Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Finally if SD CableCard tuners are no better just different, then I am about done with PC based Cable Card stuff. Enough time has passed it should just work or to heck with it.

What is SD?
post #73 of 81 Old 05-29-2013, 05:15 PM

If charter in my area uses Tuning Adapters do you have to have them with there STB too?
post #74 of 81 Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is SD?
SiliconDust

post #75 of 81 Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If charter in my area uses Tuning Adapters do you have to have them with there STB too?
Depends. Newer boxes (past 5 years or so) have SDV built in. They are free anyway, so it doesn't matter. They will give you one if you need it.
post #76 of 81 Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Perhaps it's time for a sticky pro-con thread of the different cable card tuners. My dcr-2650 usb looks to have SD internals from the look of it and works great if the PC doesn't go to sleep. Let it sleep and it gives tuner conflicts. The most recent firmware is even worse. Is the HDHRP the most polished/appliance-reliable out there?
post #77 of 81 Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
For the most part i didn't have issues with the ceton, however, I believe at some point, updating firmware/drivers i started to get the single line of pixelation issue on my copy once channels (e.g. HBO). Otherwise the ceton was generally solid.

I switched to the HDHRP and do not have the pixelation issue, additionally channel changing is faster with the HDHRP. Stability has also been good.

If the pixelation issue had not occurred i would have stuck with the Ceton.
post #78 of 81 Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post

Perhaps it's time for a sticky pro-con thread of the different cable card tuners. My dcr-2650 usb looks to have SD internals from the look of it and works great if the PC doesn't go to sleep. Let it sleep and it gives tuner conflicts. The most recent firmware is even worse. Is the HDHRP the most polished/appliance-reliable out there?

Have you tried a tool like Hibernate Trigger to disconnect the usb device or stop the tuner on sleep and reconnect on wake? Might be worth a try.
post #79 of 81 Old 05-30-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post

I had that problem with my 2650 from day one. Also had tuner conflicts with HDHRP even though it never sleeps. Never was able to solve it, until I replaced them with a Ceton. I know some have issues with Ceton, but I don't. But many don't have issues with HDHRP either. So you can't really know for sure until you try it on your network and your system.
post #80 of 81 Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 159
The Prime works very well now with current release firmware, and if SD can get some clients onboard to handle their DLNA w/DTCP-IP we might see some new DVR software (or boxes) out there someday.
post #81 of 81 Old 05-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

Have you tried a tool like Hibernate Trigger to disconnect the usb device or stop the tuner on sleep and reconnect on wake? Might be worth a try.

Haven't. I'll look into that.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page