Questions by someone in my family (Ceton - HdHomeRun Prime - Charter Cable) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 81 Old 05-16-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am posting this for someone else in my family, who asked me about these things but I don't know the answers offhand, so if any of you do, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Even links to other threads or sites that discuss any of these things would be helpful.

The background: He has been a satellite TV subscriber for many years but is seriously considering switching to cable. The cable company in our area is Charter so if you know anything specific related the them, please include that. He asked:

1. If he goes with the HDHomeRun Prime he would use two or three of them, and he wants to know if that is too much for the network or the backend computer to handle. Right now he's using a repurposed Mac Mini running Mythbuntu as a backend, but he plans to build a new backend PC (see next question). He's concerned that three HDHomeRun devices streaming HD content into the backend, plus two streams going out to the media extenders as people in the home are viewing content could simply overwhelm the network or the network interface on the backend computer. Everything is Gigabit stuff but still, would that be too much to expect the network to handle? (Basically 3 boxes streaming HD content in and maybe 2 streams going out to the stuff he's watching all on one 1000mb card in the machine at the same time!).

2. For this type of setup, which would be better - a system based Windows Media Center, or one based on MythTV as has now? He's been using XBMC on the devices next to the TV's, so that's why he started out with MythTV, but wonders if he'd have a better all around experience by just using WMC as the basis of his system.

3. Which would be the best equipment to use in this situation - two or three HDHomeRun Primes (each with 3 tuners sent to the backend computer over the network), a couple of Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe cards (4 tuners in the computer), or one or two of the new Ceton InfiniTV 6 models with six tuners (either the PCIe card or the ETH standalone ethernet model)? While he would be interested in general overall comparisons of these units, it would be probably more instructive to know specifically if they will work reliably with Charter cable.

4. When you have a device such as one of the ones mentioned above, can they record content off of premium channels such as HBO, Showtime, etc.? And is that at all dependent on which cable company provides him with service?

5. Finally, he asked how fast a machine he'd need to support 8-10 tuners, recording off say 8 at a time, and watching back 2 pre-recorded shows on media extenders.

I know this is probably a lot to ask but this seems like the best place to ask it, and I'm fairly clueless about this stuff, so any answers on any of these questions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 05-16-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I'll take the easy ones:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullwinkleMoose View Post

2. For this type of setup, which would be better - a system based Windows Media Center, or one based on MythTV as has now? He's been using XBMC on the devices next to the TV's, so that's why he started out with MythTV, but wonders if he'd have a better all around experience by just using WMC as the basis of his system.
Gotta have WMC for protected content, which is just the premium channels on Charter (HBO, Sho, etc.). No reason he can't use WMC for TV and XBMC for everything else. I personally use WMC for TV and my streaming blu-ray player(s) for everything else.
Quote:
3. Which would be the best equipment to use in this situation - two or three HDHomeRun Primes (each with 3 tuners sent to the backend computer over the network), a couple of Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe cards (4 tuners in the computer), or one or two of the new Ceton InfiniTV 6 models with six tuners (either the PCIe card or the ETH standalone ethernet model)? While he would be interested in general overall comparisons of these units, it would be probably more instructive to know specifically if they will work reliably with Charter cable.
I would go for the two 6's since that would be simpler and require only 2 cable cards.
Quote:
4. When you have a device such as one of the ones mentioned above, can they record content off of premium channels such as HBO, Showtime, etc.? And is that at all dependent on which cable company provides him with service?
Yes, if he uses WMC. Cable company doesn't matter. Charter can be difficult to get cards activated, but he'll eventually get it with persistence and possibly help from Ceton if it comes to that. I was also a sat subscriber for years (Dish and DirecTV) and currently have Charter, WMC, and an InfiniTV 4, all working beautifully. With Charter he'll also need a Tuning Adapter which comes free with each cable card.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 81 Old 05-16-2013, 06:19 PM

Liked: 10
I'm on Charter with dual Infinitv4's and 1 hybrid tuner. The HTPC "server" is an AMD X6 1100T (6 cores at 3.3 ghz) with 8gb of RAM. 2 WD AV-GP 1TB drives (5400 rpm and not in a RAID)
I also have a second HTPC in the bedroom sharing 1 of the tuners

I don't ever remember all 9 tuners running at the same time but I know I've had 8 and the only issue I've had is that the hard drive can't keep up. MediaCenter slows way down and becomes almost unusable, live video and recorded video never skips or jumps. Sometime soon I'll move the OS to a SSD and that should take care of that.

I've lived in 2 cities now with this setup, in Atlanta the installs let me "drive" while we did the cablecard stuff and got it the first time. We then moved to Madison Wi it was a different story but after hours of trial and error we got it going (installer put the cablecard in backwards and told me over and over they can only go in one way). In Madison we have to reset the tuning adapters regularly and never remember doing that in Atlanta. I would only recommend this to anyone halfway computer literate, since it does take some "playing" to get things to work sometimes.

Oh yeah don't tell Charter the cablecard is going a computer or they will cancel the install. Charter does have a rep on this board and they can get things corrected for you if you run into issues with the Charter customer service.
post #4 of 81 Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGorton View Post

...Oh yeah don't tell Charter the cablecard is going a computer or they will cancel the install. Charter does have a rep on this board and they can get things corrected for you if you run into issues with the Charter customer service.
Great advice. Just tell them you have a Tivo.

Unfortunately Charter shut down their online reps a few months ago, so that's no longer an option (LINK). They were a great help with all my cable card installs, but no longer frown.gif

post #5 of 81 Old 05-17-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

I'm on Charter with dual Infinitv4's and 1 hybrid tuner. The HTPC "server" is an AMD X6 1100T (6 cores at 3.3 ghz) with 8gb of RAM. 2 WD AV-GP 1TB drives (5400 rpm and not in a RAID)
I also have a second HTPC in the bedroom sharing 1 of the tuners

I don't ever remember all 9 tuners running at the same time but I know I've had 8 and the only issue I've had is that the hard drive can't keep up. MediaCenter slows way down and becomes almost unusable, live video and recorded video never skips or jumps. Sometime soon I'll move the OS to a SSD and that should take care of that.

I've lived in 2 cities now with this setup, in Atlanta the installs let me "drive" while we did the cablecard stuff and got it the first time. We then moved to Madison Wi it was a different story but after hours of trial and error we got it going (installer put the cablecard in backwards and told me over and over they can only go in one way). In Madison we have to reset the tuning adapters regularly and never remember doing that in Atlanta. I would only recommend this to anyone halfway computer literate, since it does take some "playing" to get things to work sometimes.

Oh yeah don't tell Charter the cablecard is going a computer or they will cancel the install. Charter does have a rep on this board and they can get things corrected for you if you run into issues with the Charter customer service.

The SSD is HIGHLY recommended.

I had no issues telling Charter that this was going in a PC CableCARD Tuner but see below.. UMatter2Charter was great with CableCARD installs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Quote:

...Oh yeah don't tell Charter the cablecard is going a computer or they will cancel the install. Charter does have a rep on this board and they can get things corrected for you if you run into issues with the Charter customer service.
Great advice. Just tell them you have a Tivo.

Unfortunately Charter shut down their online reps a few months ago, so that's no longer an option (LINK). They were a great help with all my cable card installs, but no longer frown.gif

Beat me to it..

post #6 of 81 Old 05-17-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I did manage to get these CableCARD pairing instructions from Charter Abby before the best CS Charter ever had was taken away:
Quote:
I'll do my best to provide the steps. The first part is making sure that equipment is in the proper order. It must go like this: CableCARD in outlet A, Tuning Adapter in outlet B. If the customer has additional CableCARDs, then the next CableCARD goes in outlet C, followed by Tuning Adapter in outlet D. Repeat these steps until all CableCARDs are accounted for. Then it goes DVRs, HD Boxes, Standard Boxes, Cable Modems, and lastly MTAs.

If we are activating a Scientific Atlanta card for the first time we need to get the Host ID. Once that is added, the following hits must be sent: CCV Hit, RHT Hit, and a Standard Hit to the card. Wait 60 seconds in-between each hit. Then a Standard Hit to the Tuning Adapter. After this point, sometimes it is necessary to powercycle by unplugging for 60 seconds. Lastly, if the card isn't locking on, then it's time to roll a tech.

If a customer removes their CableCARD and inserts it into another device, the Host ID must be updated. This can be a real pain because not a lot of people have access. The advisor will probably have to contact their supervisor to find someone who can delete the old Host ID and update it with the Host ID from the new device. After that's done, send the same round of hits as stated above.

If a CableCARD just randomly stops working, I like to verify the Host ID just to be safe. Then I try the hits one at a time. If that fails, it's time to roll a tech.

Did you have any other questions?

Thanks,
Abby

Since then though I've had a couple instances where I needed to have things repaired and haven't had an issue.

When you call their 1-888 Get Charter (888-438-2427) say "CableCARD support" when the auto voice comes on and you will usually get connected to somebody that knows how to deal with it.

post #7 of 81 Old 05-17-2013, 08:30 PM

Am I to draw from these responses that Charter and Cable Cards are not reliable?

I mean is it just hard to get started but once it is up it is reliable, or is it a case of one night I will sit down to watch TV and find it not working?
post #8 of 81 Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I don't think that was their intention... but the UMatter2Charter group was known as one of the best in the industry in getting customer problems solved quickly so if you had any trouble pairing the device, a quick post on one of their outlets (at one time facebook, twiiter, broadband reports, and I believe even here as well as by email etc.) you actually got a response as well as a usually quick solution... now that they are gone if one has problems it is the same as any other company in trying to find the right person who knows a little about cablecards and does the correct actions. I believe I remember reading that charter needed a supervisor to actually update the account permanently and if they weren't there on the call, a few hours or overnight later, their audit system would kick you out... I don't know if that is still the case an/or if I am confusing them with another company...I have also heard mixed reports on what they mark as copy once... sometimes I hear from only premiums, other times I have heard all hd (sometimes even including locals) and a few times I have heard everything but the locals.

Once you get it working all should be good, but if you ever add or delete services, they may mess things up again and its back to finding that right person again... I don't expect anyone with any provider to have problems, and I suspect the majority don't and its just that you hear more about problems than successes and getting rid of that star team leaves a big void.
post #9 of 81 Old 05-17-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

They are reliable. It is my only CableTV source and has been for over a year. It is the pairing that is a little bit of an issue. Once that is done it is fine. Occassionally I need to power cycle the system when it looses the Copy Protected channels. Twice I've had to call to get the CableCARD repaired which has been very painless by saying "CableCARD" at the voice promp when calling.

post #10 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
As the OP I just wanted to say thank you for the responses so far - they have been very helpful in letting my family member get the "big picture". One thing that has not been addressed is that while trying to find a good place to post the original questions, I read a couple of posts that suggest that CableCARD now has a limited "shelf life" and is on its way to being replaced by ??? - not sure exactly what. So if someone does invest in a Ceton or HDHomeRun Prime, are they going to be stuck with non-working, obsolete technology at some point in the near future, or is that still several years out?

And one followup question - if Windows Media Center is the only thing that will let you receive "protected" content, does that mean that all the devices that view the served media need to be running Windows as well? In other words, just as a hypothetical question, if you have WMC running on your backend, but your main desktop computer is running OS X or Linux, does that mean there is no chance that they will be able to view the recorded programs? Just trying to understand whether using WMC on server locks you into using some form of Windows on all your other devices if you want to view the recordings. In my family member's case, he has a Mac and I think an iPad, if I recall correctly, and none of the boxes next to his TV's are running Windows currently.
post #11 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Cablecard is on its way out, but the entire industry is changing. I think the new pc will become obsolete before he can no longer use the tuners

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #12 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 06:55 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
As the OP I just wanted to say thank you for the responses so far - they have been very helpful in letting my family member get the "big picture". One thing that has not been addressed is that while trying to find a good place to post the original questions, I read a couple of posts that suggest that CableCARD now has a limited "shelf life" and is on its way to being replaced by ??? - not sure exactly what. So if someone does invest in a Ceton or HDHomeRun Prime, are they going to be stuck with non-working, obsolete technology at some point in the near future, or is that still several years out?

Cable cards are required by the FCC to be supported by the cable cos. While I think there's something that will improve cable cards, so long as the FCC mandate remains the cable cos will not be getting rid of cable cards. It's probably several years down the line before that mandate goes away.
Quote:
And one followup question - if Windows Media Center is the only thing that will let you receive "protected" content, does that mean that all the devices that view the served media need to be running Windows as well? In other words, just as a hypothetical question, if you have WMC running on your backend, but your main desktop computer is running OS X or Linux, does that mean there is no chance that they will be able to view the recorded programs? Just trying to understand whether using WMC on server locks you into using some form of Windows on all your other devices if you want to view the recordings. In my family member's case, he has a Mac and I think an iPad, if I recall correctly, and none of the boxes next to his TV's are running Windows currently.

If the content is flagged "copy once" (protected content on premium channels like HBO) then you would be limited to watching on the device that made the recording. Your only option would be to use an extender device like an Xbox. So in your scenario, if the content is protected and recorded on an WMC server, then yes you would NOT be able to watch on an OSX or linux box.
post #13 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

OP: you can only watch content with the CCI flag on a WMC (Win7 preferred). Apple wants you to buy content from them and not from your CableCo. Allowing you to watch CableTV on a Mac doesn't fit that model. M$ is following that model it seems with Win8 it would seem but they still will sell you WMC on Win8 for $100.

As far as CableCARD's becoming extinct, this is not exactly true. New software keying to hardware devices are in developement but the FCC has required that the CableCO's support CableCARD's "indefinitely". The new system being developed will permit an external tuner device to be made by a company such as ceton that uses a software key in stead of a CableCARD.

As Win7 is a very mature product I really don't see it becoming obsolete anytime soon. I don't see current hardware becoming obsolete either. These statements may prove untrue when 4k becomes cheap enough in both TV's and content delivery such as a replacement for Blu-ray or CableTV which will be further limited by compression methodology. For Cable delivery, there is also the cost of system upgrades for the CableCO's which they are reluctant to do.

Bottom line.. get a CableCARD tuner and enjoy on a Win7 machine. I did this over a year ago and recovered my investment long ago in equipment rental fees and DVR taxes. It is all "gravy" now until something else comes along, which will be quite some time down the road.

post #14 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 08:17 AM

I stole this from another thread somewhere, it may be of use to figure out if copy freely channels are available before investing in a cable card setup. You do need a Motorola cable box.....

I checked, and charter in Medford, OR marks the channels I care about (nbcsports hd) as copy freely, I think most other channels are as well, (except premiums lie hbo).

If you don't know how, the steps to check if I channel is marked copy freely are as follows:

1) tune to desired channel
2) press the power button to turn off and...
3) quickly press the "OK" or "Select" button to enter the diagnostics screen
4) select "d06 Current Channel Status"
5) look at the "CCI" and "DRM" values. If they are both "0x00" it is unencrypted and you will get it. If either one is not, then check the "RC Flag." If the "RC Flag" is not "0x00" then it is not copy-freely and you will not get it. If it is "0x00" then you should be able to get it.

(In case someone asks, the reason I don't say to check the "d11 Interface/port status" for firewire, is because on my DCX3200 that does not reflect what actually happens. It always says it's Copy Free, but that is not the case)
post #15 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullwinkleMoose View Post

I am posting this for someone else in my family, who asked me about these things but I don't know the answers offhand, so if any of you do, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Even links to other threads or sites that discuss any of these things would be helpful.

The background: He has been a satellite TV subscriber for many years but is seriously considering switching to cable. The cable company in our area is Charter so if you know anything specific related the them, please include that. He asked:

1. If he goes with the HDHomeRun Prime he would use two or three of them, and he wants to know if that is too much for the network or the backend computer to handle. Right now he's using a repurposed Mac Mini running Mythbuntu as a backend, but he plans to build a new backend PC (see next question). He's concerned that three HDHomeRun devices streaming HD content into the backend, plus two streams going out to the media extenders as people in the home are viewing content could simply overwhelm the network or the network interface on the backend computer. Everything is Gigabit stuff but still, would that be too much to expect the network to handle? (Basically 3 boxes streaming HD content in and maybe 2 streams going out to the stuff he's watching all on one 1000mb card in the machine at the same time!).

5. Finally, he asked how fast a machine he'd need to support 8-10 tuners, recording off say 8 at a time, and watching back 2 pre-recorded shows on media extenders.

I know this is probably a lot to ask but this seems like the best place to ask it, and I'm fairly clueless about this stuff, so any answers on any of these questions would be appreciated!

1. A Gigabit Network should not hve any difficulty with 12 HD streams, such as from 2 InfiniTV 6 ETH tuners.
2. I would recommend WMC, as I believe Charter has some Copy Once channels you would not get on MythTV
3. Obviously I'm biased, but I would recommend the InfiniTV 6 ETH as his monthly costs will be lower with it (as he would only need to rent 2 CableCARDs/TAs vs with the HDHR Prime) and he would have more tuners (12 vs 9)
4. Yes, though most cable operators mark premium content Copy Once, which is only supported by Windows Media Center
5. Pretty much any modern PC is fast enough (Atom and similar excluded)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Cablecard is on its way out, but the entire industry is changing. I think the new pc will become obsolete before he can no longer use the tuners

Citation Needed

Given that there are literally hundreds of millions of CableCARDs deployed, it is not going anywhere. Yes, the future is in some sort of downloadable security standard, but that standard hasn't even been created yet, much less hardware produced. Even aside from that, existing equipment won't be obsoleted overnight (and there are FCC mandates that come into play). FWIW downloadable security has been talked about basically since CableCARD launched, and so far we have nothing to show for it.. You're talking about an industry that largely still hasn't killed analog - 15+ years after the launch of commercial HDTVs

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #16 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
That's exactly what Im saying. It would take years and a huge sum of money for all the cable providers to switch their boxes and head end equipment. There iarr plenty of years left to get a return on the tuners.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #17 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:

So if tell them it is a Tivo won't they care once they get there, or is it a case of the installer does not care it is just to keep the people on the phone from cancelling the install?
post #18 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have CableTV service already you don't need an installer as CableCARD's must be permitted to be "self installed" per FCC rules. You pick up the card af the local office and then follow instructions included with the tuner of your choice and then call in for CableCARD activation when prompted by WMC.

That said, Charter insisted on a truck roll when I did mine because the cable was "capped" at the pole because I as on Uverse at the time. I refused to pay for what is essentially servicing their equipment. The tech they sent had no clue about CableCARD at all (TiVo) included so I got to educate him about it. I should have back charged Charter for training their personel.

post #19 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

If you have CableTV service already you don't need an installer as CableCARD's must be permitted to be "self installed" per FCC rules. You pick up the card af the local office and then follow instructions included with the tuner of your choice and then call in for CableCARD activation when prompted by WMC.

That said, Charter insisted on a truck roll when I did mine because the cable was "capped" at the pole because I as on Uverse at the time. I refused to pay for what is essentially servicing their equipment. The tech they sent had no clue about CableCARD at all (TiVo) included so I got to educate him about it. I should have back charged Charter for training their personel.

I don't have Cable TV, right now I have Dish. So if I am going to do this would I be better off to get cable and then after it is all installed and working then go to the local office and get a cable card?
post #20 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Also is there a limit to how many extenders you can have connected to one windows 7 media center?
post #21 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Man 2011 View Post

I don't have Cable TV, right now I have Dish. So if I am going to do this would I be better off to get cable and then after it is all installed and working then go to the local office and get a cable card?
It's hard to say. My installer had no problem doing the card, but some may see a PC and refuse to touch it. Then again if there are other issues, the installer can address them right away. In any case I had a cable DVR for a while as backup until I got the HTPC working 100%. Also make sure they give you a tuning adapter (most Charter markets require them).
Quote:

Also is there a limit to how many extenders you can have connected to one windows 7 media center?
You can connect as many as you like, but only watch 5 simultaneously, or 6 sessions total including the local one. Keep in mind you need a lot of RAM for that, up to 2 GB per extender.

One other thing is OnDemand doesn't work on cable card tuners, if that's important to you.

post #22 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

No. Get the tuner and then get the CableTV. I never had a CableCo STB in this installation which was 4 years after switching to Uverse from Charter because at that time Charter had virtually no HD channels. Just jump right in and don't mess around with their STB's at all. I kept an over-lap of limited service from at&t for one month while getting the HDHR Prime sorted out but it was stable for three weeks before shutting off Uverse.

post #23 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 02:51 PM

Over all would the people doing this (especially with Charter) say this is a reliable way to get TV or do you miss a fare share or recording because of "while say hardware or software hiccups"?

Sorry if this seems like a weird question but reliability is VERY important to me.

I realize nothing is 100% but I want to go into this with as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks.
post #24 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Since the HDHR Prime f/w rolled in early January it has been very reliable but it also has had to have the Tuning Adapter reset a couple of times for reasons unbeknownst to me. I'd say it has been as reliable as the CableCo STB's that I had previously were they need to be reset occasionally.. So did the Uverse STB's for that matter. I missed one recording in the 15 months I've been using it and that was during a time when the Tuning Adapter went out which only effects some channels and not all channels.. Which seem to be the ones with the CCI protection flag set for some reason.

post #25 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:

Over all would the people doing this (especially with Charter) say this is a reliable way to get TV or do you miss a fare share or recording because of "while say hardware or software hiccups"?

Sorry if this seems like a weird question but reliability is VERY important to me.

I realize nothing is 100% but I want to go into this with as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks.

I would say it's in the 90% range.....we miss a recording about once ever 2-3 weeks. WMC will find the next recording and most times will record what it missed sometime during the night.

If we didn't have issues with the tuning adapters I would venture we would have 100% reliability.
post #26 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 08:29 PM

What is involved in resetting the Tuning Adapter when it goes out? Also is WMC good at recording only new episodes or does it miss some if you set it to only record new?
post #27 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:

I would say it's in the 90% range.....we miss a recording about once ever 2-3 weeks. WMC will find the next recording and most times will record what it missed sometime during the night.

If we didn't have issues with the tuning adapters I would venture we would have 100% reliability.

What device do you use Ceton or HD Homerun?
post #28 of 81 Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:

The SSD is HIGHLY recommended.

I assume OS on SSD and a regular HD for recording on? Also should the HD for recodings be 7200rpm or does in not matter?

Also I see in your Home Theater profile that you are using a Ceton Echo, I was just wondering if you like it and does it work well?

Thanks.
post #29 of 81 Old 05-19-2013, 06:46 AM

I'm running dual Cetons.....the recording issues come from the tuning adapters becoming unresponsive randomly. The tuner simply doesn't get a signal because the tuning adapter didn't make the signal available. Now with dual tuners it will cycle down the list of tuners until it finds one that can pick up the channel. If we unplug the TA power and plug it back in everything goes back to working fine, I've thought about putting the TA's on a timer to automatically turn them off for a minute ever couple of days.
post #30 of 81 Old 05-19-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

In my single Ceton system my Moto TAs have never failed, so YMMV.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page