Recommended volume and settings? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For most media players like WMP or WMC, what should the volume be at? And for DAC or sound card? They all have their own volume nods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Depends on what is actually producing sond.

Volume settings in windows if the sound is being handed off to the amp, without being processed by the sound card.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

well lets take PC for now, it uses a sound card. There are two differing views on this one is that you must feed the speakers the full sound by making everything software 100% and only have the speakers be controllable. The other view is that everything should be around 50%. here is a screenpic of sound card control: http://i.imgur.com/5W3anhO.jpg?1

i think that the goal is to have it just below 0db on the graph so no digital amplification takes place. i could be wrong since reviews always have it at 100% probably for ASIO. ive tried that and as you can see the master volume is at 25%. if its 100% it will reach +20db. however doing this limits the dynamic range quite a bit, i tried with a movie and there is a difference between 40% and 50% especially in the bass and high areas that cant be brought back by speaker volume control. but 50% does give distortion in places, like a loud thin shriek.

there are also opinions that media player like MPC-HC, having them at 100% introduces distortions and that everything should be kept a 10% or less lower than that 100.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
More a fact than an opinion, if you want a bit perfect from SPDIF, USB or HDMI outputs of your PC, volume should be set at 100% (I have a DAC which allows me to test this with audio tracks).

WMP is not bit perfect, but the closest to it is achieved at 100% volume.

With analog outputs, it's horses for courses, as the best combination of digital volume setting on the PC and level of amplification later on will vary. Usually, with digital volume controls, it's best to avoid significant attenuation (as the useful resolution/dynamic range gets reduced, and as PCs are noisy environments).
post #5 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post

More a fact than an opinion, if you want a bit perfect from SPDIF, USB or HDMI outputs of your PC, volume should be set at 100% (I have a DAC which allows me to test this with audio tracks).

WMP is not bit perfect, but the closest to it is achieved at 100% volume.

With analog outputs, it's horses for courses, as the best combination of digital volume setting on the PC and level of amplification later on will vary. Usually, with digital volume controls, it's best to avoid significant attenuation (as the useful resolution/dynamic range gets reduced, and as PCs are noisy environments).

the speakers i use have their own dac, but i dont use it instead use the sound card because reviews state the dac to be inadequate. is 50% a significant attenuation? its a little hard to determine. will maxing it be damaging to the speakers or is it just a issue with distortion?

my goal isnt pit perfect though, but i know if i max it i wont have much room for volume control with the speakers. it will be too loud.

heres the specs of the card:

utput Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted) (Front-out) :
116 dB
Output THD+N at 1kHz (Front-out) :
>0.00056 %(-105 dB)
Output THD+N at 1kHz (Headphone-out) :
>0.001 %(-100 dB)
Frequency Response (-3dB, 24bit/96KHz input) :
10 Hz to 48 KHz
Output/Input Full-Scale Voltage :
Unbalanced Output : 2 Vrms (5.65 Vp-p)
Reply Home Theater Computers