Home Media server - WHS2011 + Flexraid / Stablebitt or Unraid or Synology 2413j+ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well there more i read the less its helping me, today im more confused on what to do from day 1. I only use my server to store my blu ray iso and rips legally owned, and i did use some transcoding for mobile phones and tablets, but its not as popular as i though it would be, so the transcoding is not a big deal atm, i could live without if its needed.

I been running WHSv1 for about 5 years and been really happy with it, started with a small prebuilt server that in less than year ran out of space, and decided to build my own server but was sure to go with WHSv1 as it has been very good to me, the following is what i own atm,

MOBO: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O LGA 1155 Intel C204 Micro ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard
MEMORY: Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 Sandy Bridge 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 80W Quad-Core Server Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermalright AXP-140 RT Low Profile HTPC Heatsink
CPU Fan: Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-1 140mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 700 RPM - 9 dBA
Case fans: 7x Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-S1 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent Fan - 750 RPM - below 6 dBA
OS drive: Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH120G2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
HDD: 8x HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
HDD: 6x SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 1.5TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
HBA: 2x Intel RAID Controller Card SATA/SAS PCI-E x8 8internal ports (SASUC8I)
Sata cables: 4x 3ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M 1 Unit of .5M Multi-lane Internal (SFF-8087) Serial ATA Breakout Cable
Sata power: 4x Silverstone Four-in-one SATA Power Connectors with Power Stabilizing Capacitors Model CP06
PSU: Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC
CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
HDD Cages: 4x COOLER MASTER STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 Device Module Hardisk Cage

Now i have reach the point where the 22tb of storage is not enough, and i have two limitations, my SASUC8i and WHSv1 dont support higher than 2tb, so i have to change both, i been reading lots and lots of forums for almost server os/software, and still not sure what would be the best for me. When i built my server i was kinda thinking on going into ZFS down the road for the silent data corruption, but im older now, with less desire to learn something that complicated. The only thing that im sure is that im going to buy 8x Seagate 4TB ST4000DM000 and 2x IBM m1015 flashed to 9211-8i IT firmware, seems all OS work well with them and not as expensive.

My first though was just go with WHS2011, then it doesn't have a drive pool like WHSv1, but there are 3rd parties that do this as addons.... like stablebit drivepool, So i though.... yea thats my route, same functionality than my WHSv1 just with 4tb support.

But then i watch assassins blog on servers and paid the $25 to see more on the server, btw well worth the money spend, his guides are terrific, so good that he made want to go with FlexRAID, on paper seems great, there is a parity drive(s) that can restore the array in case of a drive failure, the array is not stripped in all disks so if you lose more than the parity you only lose what was on the disks. I understood very well what assassin posted on the WHS2011 and the flexraid install, i dont think i need much more. Buit it worries me a little in terms of development and i seen some people that have had issues.

Then i come back to unRiad, i though i wouldn't go this route, as it has limitations on disks and limited hardware compatibility, so kinda has to be built into what the community has tested, but incredible forums so much information there, very helpful community also... that for a pure media sever has a well proven history. Seems similar to flexriad in some aspects like the none striped disks, but with better record, i have seen monster unraid servers with 80TB+ that havent had much issues for years, so it seems like a good option also.

Finally, i bought a Synology D111 a couple of years ago, about a little before when i decided to build my own serve, to test the synology software, and to my surprise it was really nice, easy to setup and very easy to run, but at the time i though it was too expensive and the best was 8 hdd solution with that was like $1k and you could add an expansion for another 8 disk... but my server was capable of 16 also so i though wasn't worth it. Now there is the DS2413+ that has 12 disk, with an 12 Synology DX1211, but its very expensive, above $3k for both, and having all the hardware owned atm, seems like the most expensive solution for me, but i really liked the synology software. But still have it as an option mostly i get more confused the more i research.

Either way, im positing here since most of you use the servers very similar to what i do and will in the future, so maybe you can post what do you recommend for a pure storage media server that multiple computers will have access to reproduce the blu ray isos / rips, specially
WHS2011 + FlexRaid / SnapRaid
WHS2011 + Stablebit
Unraid

Thanks for your time,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 02:18 PM

I can only speak on my trip from WHS to WHS 2011 to Unraid.

I'll say that my experience with Unraid has been great and I have pretty much never had to go into settings or mess with anything in my one year of running my build. I built it, took a few days to learn and set up, then its just been on and off, no crashes no driver issues, nothing.

Whs has been a complete nightmare for me, but I kept that build running to do backups. I was not a fan of WHS 2011.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 995
I'm very satisfied with my WHS + FLEXRAID server. I also have IBM card flashed, and drives larger than 2TB in my server. I understand where you are coming from and what you want.

I'm probably going to go bigger than my current 30TB soon... but right now I have 12 Seagate 3TB drives ( 10 data and 2 parity) for 30TB of space. I only have 1 IBM card (8 ports) plus the 4 ports of SATAII on my Z77 mobo. I'm ready to flash another IBM and add it soon. I'm waiting because I think when I do that I might want to change my Parity Drives to 4TB so I can add 4 TB drives in the future. Right now I only have 3TB parity.

Here is my experience from start to finish:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438027/planning-to-rebuild-my-20tb-whs-flexraid-server-information-requested/0_100

There is tons of info on my journey in there. I'd be happy to help any way I can. Just PM me or ask in that thread.

Good luck

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemogoblin View Post

I can only speak on my trip from WHS to WHS 2011 to Unraid.

I'll say that my experience with Unraid has been great and I have pretty much never had to go into settings or mess with anything in my one year of running my build. I built it, took a few days to learn and set up, then its just been on and off, no crashes no driver issues, nothing.

Whs has been a complete nightmare for me, but I kept that build running to do backups. I was not a fan of WHS 2011.
Thanks for sharing your experience, would be easier for me to go with unraid if 5.0 was released, i believe it has a more than one parity drive option? I feel 1 parity drive for 16hdd is too much gamble, given that the disk can still be read if more than the parity fails.... i would like this not to happen. But tbh im still worried though, i never been anything but windows guy, i never have mess with linux directly or have anyother coputers that could read the disk, so i would have to rebuild on unraid again i believe to be able to re read the drives upon more than one parity failing.... not sure about this, will have to research some more on this subject.

been reading a lot lately on the lime forums and seems that 5.0 seems very stable, but still on release candidates, maybe if they release it soon, it might steer me over there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I'm very satisfied with my WHS + FLEXRAID server. I also have IBM card flashed, and drives larger than 2TB in my server. I understand where you are coming from and what you want.

I'm probably going to go bigger than my current 30TB soon... but right now I have 12 Seagate 3TB drives ( 10 data and 2 parity) for 30TB of space. I only have 1 IBM card (8 ports) plus the 4 ports of SATAII on my Z77 mobo. I'm ready to flash another IBM and add it soon. I'm waiting because I think when I do that I might want to change my Parity Drives to 4TB so I can add 4 TB drives in the future. Right now I only have 3TB parity.

Here is my experience from start to finish:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438027/planning-to-rebuild-my-20tb-whs-flexraid-server-information-requested/0_100

There is tons of info on my journey in there. I'd be happy to help any way I can. Just PM me or ask in that thread.

Good luck
Thanks for the info, i really like what i read about FLEXRAID lately, still havent made my mind, it worries me that NZFS proyect might make FLEXRAID get forgoten or unattended not sure if there will be more devolopment or thats as good as it gets, i want to be able to run this server for at least 5 years, ill probably upgrade stuff here and there, probably hdds and hbas comes to my mind, but i would like to see the porduct well supported for the future.

Btw couple of questions since you already build your own, and you have m1015

1) Can you see the SMART values of your hdds that are run on the m1015? i see from assasins server guides that flexraid does have like a test in the "Drive Testing, Info, and SMART (health)", but in my case my Intel SASCU8i cant pass to my WHSv1 the smart data from my hdds connected to them, i just want to make sure the WHS2011 + FLEXRAID + M1015 combo can do it.

2) Have you had any hdds fail on you or have you tested the rebuilding of the array? im planning as you 2 parity drives, but if i commit 8tb for parity im hopping it works.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Yes smart data works fine but I disabled it because you must do this to allow your HDDs to spin down. Otherwise they get pinged for smart data constantly which uses more energy.

Rebuilding parity works fine. I tested it. smile.gif

I have never had a drive fail smile.gif at least not a Seagate in my new rebuilt array. I've had tons of WD greens fail in my old server.

You'll see both explained in my thread.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers