Suggestions For Converting Blu-Ray Discs After Ripping - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 05-21-2013, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It was far cheaper for my time and energy to buy another harddrive then to bother compressing so many movies. I'm staring at almost 10Tb's of space for all my movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovence View Post

It was far cheaper for my time and energy to buy another harddrive then to bother compressing so many movies. I'm staring at almost 10Tb's of space for all my movies.

Same. In the process of replacing all my old DVD rips with Blu-ray. Though I'm realizing my 12.5 TB might just fit it all. Gonna need more for any other future movies I want frown.gif
post #33 of 45 Old 05-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post

As I'm sure you know but I will point out for others... it really depends on your system. My i7 3770K system with 16GB of ram can compress a BD rip using preset 20 in about 30-45 minutes.

Wow, apparently I've got to get a new rig. My i7 2670QM laptop w/16GB RAM takes 5+ hours to compress a BD rip using preset 21. 30-45 min for even higher quality is flying!

BTW I use DVDFab's free HD Decryptor for all my rips and then compress everything using Handbrake (preset 19 for DVDs). I know a lot of folks have a preference for not compressing at all but when the quality is just as good to my eyes with half the file size or less, I think it's worth it. I just run my Handbrake queue overnight or when I'm at work and think of the money I'm saving down the road on hard drives.

One other tip for the OP if you're new to doing this kind of video work: don't try to rip a disk or do anything else (besides some web surfing, etc) while you've got an encoding job running. No one told me a few months ago when I was first jumping in these waters and I was ignorant enough about computers to think that have a quad core processor meant that I should be able to run up to 4 different jobs at the same time. Which it turns out is a good way to either crash your system or make videos that are totally unwatchable.
post #34 of 45 Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Lol encoding certainly takes some power.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #35 of 45 Old 05-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The main reason I don't encode now is what happens if I decide to encode to h.265 down the road? Making an encode from an already encoded file is a no-no (and yes, I know Blu-ray is already compressed from the original source; but from a consumer standpoint, that's our 'uncompressed' source).
post #36 of 45 Old 05-21-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 149
So my 2nd try at this is the BR of Jack Reacher. I ripped with HD Decryptor as usual, but Handbrake stops re-encoding at exactly 37 minutes into the film. I've tried both MP4 and MKV. I assume it's something with my rip, unless I have something set wrong. Both files look good quality-wise. I don't see any errors in the log. In fact it says "Encode Done!" at the bottom of the log.
post #37 of 45 Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just did Jack Reacher yesterday in MKV. No problems here.
post #38 of 45 Old 05-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

So my 2nd try at this is the BR of Jack Reacher. I ripped with HD Decryptor as usual, but Handbrake stops re-encoding at exactly 37 minutes into the film. I've tried both MP4 and MKV. I assume it's something with my rip, unless I have something set wrong. Both files look good quality-wise. I don't see any errors in the log. In fact it says "Encode Done!" at the bottom of the log.

Are you sure Fab grabbed the main movie title and actually finished the rip? I've ripped and converted a lot of disks now w/Fab's HD Decryptor and Handbrake and I've never had Handbrake just stop in the middle of an encode, but I have had a few occasions where Fab just stops in the middle.

Actually now that I think of it I have had Handbrake stop if there's some mandatory update from Windows that takes over my laptop and requires a reboot in the middle of an encode. If something like that happens that's external to Handbrake then you will see "encode finished" even though it didn't.
post #39 of 45 Old 05-22-2013, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

Are you sure Fab grabbed the main movie title and actually finished the rip? I've ripped and converted a lot of disks now w/Fab's HD Decryptor and Handbrake and I've never had Handbrake just stop in the middle of an encode, but I have had a few occasions where Fab just stops in the middle.

Yes, the entire film got ripped (movie only), but your post got me thinking. I played back the rip using VLC, and at exactly 37:00 it froze. Something wrong with the file I guess.
If I play it in Windows Media Player, it freezes in the same spot, but the counter reads 37:36, and it only plays the Spanish track.
post #40 of 45 Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 AM

Liked: 12
Rip with MakeMKV. If you'll be doing a lot of converting and have a supported graphic card, I recommend Xilisoft's converter, which can make use of CUDA and AMD app. Yes, it costs $, but the conversion speeds are so much better that you'll probably find it worthwhile.
post #41 of 45 Old 05-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

I've seen this happening when downmixing a 6.1 channel audio source. You could try using the AC3 track with passthrough just to see if that's an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgiant View Post

Rip with MakeMKV. If you'll be doing a lot of converting and have a supported graphic card, I recommend Xilisoft's converter, which can make use of CUDA and AMD app. Yes, it costs $, but the conversion speeds are so much better that you'll probably find it worthwhile.

As discussed in the ripping thread the hardware based encoders don't provide the high picture quality of the software encoders. Also I've seen a lot of issues ripping to MKV then encoding. I've had much better luck ripping to folder structure then encoding. In my experience the folder structure encoding time was about half that of encoding a MKV ripped with MakeMKV.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #42 of 45 Old 05-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

I've seen this happening when downmixing a 6.1 channel audio source. You could try using the AC3 track with passthrough just to see if that's an issue.

Good suggestion. I only do passthrough audio so maybe that's why I've never had an encode quit on me.
post #43 of 45 Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

Quote:

I've seen this happening when down mixing a 6.1 channel audio source. You could try using the AC3 track with passthrough just to see if that's an issue.

Well, I'm willing to try, but like I said, the "original" rip, i.e. the unconverted movie only Bluray rip, also stops playing at that exact same spot. So obviously something wrong with the rip.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #44 of 45 Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Well, I'm willing to try, but like I said, the "original" rip, i.e. the unconverted movie only Bluray rip, also stops playing at that exact same spot. So obviously something wrong with the rip.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Oh, somehow I missed that part. I'm guessing you don't have the source to re-rip?

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #45 of 45 Old 05-23-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes. But I was hoping to figure this out. Re-ripping could fix the issue, or if there's something wrong with the disc I guess I'm just screwed. I may have to convert starting at 37:01 till the end, then figure out how to stitch the two parts together.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page