Suggestions For Converting Blu-Ray Discs After Ripping - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 05-17-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I am unsure where to even search for this info. I don't see it mentioned in the stickies for this forum.

I am finally starting to think about ripping my Blu-Ray movies to HDD, but I think I would like to compress them somewhat to save a bit on space. I read that converting them to MKV only changes the container and does not reduce the file size (this makes me question what is the point of converting them in the first place). I realize I can rip the main movie only, but that will still result in a lot of used disc space. If there is a better forum to ask this please advise, or else maybe someone can point to a thread somewhere?

I don't want to compress to the point where it's too noticeable, i.e. down to DVD quality. But I have seen some x264 mkv's that don't look too bad. I have no idea what people are using, or how much they're compressing (re-encoding). What is the current process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 05-17-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Handbrake.

post #3 of 45 Old 05-17-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

post #4 of 45 Old 05-17-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sammy2 to the rescue.. again!
post #5 of 45 Old 05-18-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 374
A short summary of quality & preset vs file size.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 45 Old 05-18-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

And there's renethx with the real rescue post! I've not seen that before and will bookmark it now. Keeping that in mind, OP, handbrake does take some time (hours) and slow down the system it is running on. You need a pretty robust PC with multiple cores and a bit of RAM..

post #7 of 45 Old 05-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Biggest suggestion I can make is if you're on Windows to use the Handbrake nightly builds instead of the stable build. For some reason the stable build for Windows is lagging way behind the other platforms.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #8 of 45 Old 05-18-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

And there's renethx with the real rescue post! I've not seen that before and will bookmark it now. Keeping that in mind, OP, handbrake does take some time (hours) and slow down the system it is running on. You need a pretty robust PC with multiple cores and a bit of RAM..

AMD Phenom II quad core 3Ghz and 8Gb ram. I'll try converting one today and see how long it takes. Thanks everybody.
Hey Sammy2, what is your most common practice? Do you usually compress or just rip the main movie or what?

Btw, Evernote is your friend.
post #9 of 45 Old 05-18-2013, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

As I'm sure you know but I will point out for others... it really depends on your system. My i7 3770K system with 16GB of ram can compress a BD rip using preset 20 in about 30-45 minutes.
post #10 of 45 Old 05-18-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm using an i5-650 with 8 GB. I think it is stronger than the AMD the OP mentioned. It takes a few hours to compress a Blu-ray rip. Your IB i7-3770K is clearly a beast of a machine, especially when compared to my first generation Clarkdale i5!

post #11 of 45 Old 05-18-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Quote:

AMD Phenom II quad core 3Ghz and 8Gb ram. I'll try converting one today and see how long it takes. Thanks everybody.
Hey Sammy2, what is your most common practice? Do you usually compress or just rip the main movie or what?

Btw, Evernote is your friend.

I do not compress my rips. I suppose I should as my 17TB is getting a bit full.

post #12 of 45 Old 05-18-2013, 04:36 PM

Liked: 12
I've been using dvdfab to encode my DVDs and BluRays. I've been encoding my Blu Rays to m2ts files and DVDs to MKVs. I don't have the disk space for fully ripped Blu Ray movies so the files on average are about 16 gigs, DVDs about 5 to 6.

Are there any advantages to using Makemkv compared to Dvdfab, or any other software?
post #13 of 45 Old 05-18-2013, 11:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Nothing, except for subtitles. DVDFab does not support PGS (Blu-ray) subtitles. Ripping with MakeMKV + encoding with HandBrake 0.9.9 will keep PGS subtitles.

-

-
post #14 of 45 Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Nothing, except for subtitles.

So are you keeping them as mkv's during your re-encoding with Hand Brake? I guess MP4 does not support Bluray subs. But since you're using Hand Brake, is it even necessary to rip as mkv?

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #15 of 45 Old 05-19-2013, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

So are you keeping them as mkv's during your re-encoding with Hand Brake? I guess MP4 does not support Bluray subs. But since you're using Hand Brake, is it even necessary to rip as mkv?

Sent from my Nexus 7

You don't have to rip as MKV. People tend to rip with the software that works for them. I rip Blurays using AnyDVD and ClownBD to get the main title and forced subtitles (PGS). Then I encode to MP4 and burn in the PGS subtitles using Handbrake for my Apple TVs. I keep the original uncompressed rip on my HTPC.
post #16 of 45 Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Nothing, except for subtitles.

Sent from my Nexus 7

MP4 does not support PGS subtitle streams. If you have to keep contents in MP4 in your environment, then you have to make some compromise in subtitles. Otherwise MKV is the way to go, and MakeMKV+Handbrake is free.

-

-
post #17 of 45 Old 05-19-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

By compromise I guess you mean either leaving them out or burning them in, right? Either option is not acceptable for me. I'll stick with mkv.

post #18 of 45 Old 05-19-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

I mean either

- PGS subtitles burning in (quality is as good as the original, just you can never remove them)
- Convert PGS subtitles to a low quality format, then mux it, or
- External subtitles

-

-
post #19 of 45 Old 05-19-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I prefer to use mkv for the ease in this regard.

post #20 of 45 Old 05-19-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:

I prefer to use mkv for the ease in this regard.
+1

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #21 of 45 Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What about identifying audio tracks? I ripped the BD of Looper, and when I import it into Handbrake, three of four audio tracks show up. There is no visible identification such as "English track" or "voice over track". Is there some way to identify each track so you can decide which to include?

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #22 of 45 Old 05-20-2013, 04:27 AM

Liked: 13
I use BD-Rebuilder's (donation ware) "Alt Movie Only" output to MKV (2pass with a size limit around 8gig), with AnyDVD HD to decrypt. After ripping to my hard drive using AnyDVD HD, my 5 year old i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz w/8gig ram, can back up to MKV in about 1.5 to 2hrs.

They look good. My wife and some of my family can't tell its a rip and not the original bluray. And I can keep the HD audio or not, keep individual or multiple audio tracks and sub titles, etc BD-Rebuilder is very flexible.
post #23 of 45 Old 05-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

Biggest suggestion I can make is if you're on Windows to use the Handbrake nightly builds instead of the stable build. For some reason the stable build for Windows is lagging way behind the other platforms.

Looks like the official Handbrake 0.9.9 was release around the same time I posted this. So no longer a need to use the nightly build.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #24 of 45 Old 05-20-2013, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So I just upgraded Handbrake to 0.9.9... yea PGS subtitles!

I have a question on the audio section.... what do I want to select in the Mixdown dropbox?
post #25 of 45 Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nothing, except for subtitles. DVDFab does not support PGS (Blu-ray) subtitles. Ripping with MakeMKV + encoding with HandBrake 0.9.9 will keep PGS subtitles.

Huh? I use DVD Fab and all subs are in the ripped file. I can't use the Bluray function since I haven't purchased that, but it still rips the main movie, I just don't have the option to select tracks, compress or convert to iPad, etc.
Quote:

MP4 does not support PGS subtitle streams. If you have to keep contents in MP4 in your environment, then you have to make some compromise in subtitles. Otherwise MKV is the way to go, and MakeMKV+Handbrake is free.

OK. This is a biggie for me since I like to keep both English and Spanish subs (never know who might watch with me). So MKV from now on.
Quote:

I'm using an i5-650 with 8 GB. I think it is stronger than the AMD the OP mentioned. It takes a few hours to compress a Blu-ray rip. Your IB i7-3770K is clearly a beast of a machine, especially when compared to my first generation Clarkdale i5!

That Looper Bluray I mentioned was about 35GB, and under 6Gb after Handbrake. Took over five hours on my AMD Phenom II 3Ghz with 8 Gigs ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post

So I just upgraded Handbrake to 0.9.9... yea PGS subtitles!

I have a question on the audio section.... what do I want to select in the Mixdown dropbox?
I think that is only if you want to convert the audio into a different format. Otherwise I guess you select "None".
post #26 of 45 Old 05-20-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

DVDFab does not keep PGS subtiltes even wnen ripping/converting to MKV, it converts PGS subtiltes to idx/sub (VobSub) (low quality).

-

-
post #27 of 45 Old 05-20-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I see. And actually, when I rip, I get a message about using HD Decrypter because my Bluray option has expired. Do you know if that has the same limitation with subs?
post #28 of 45 Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

All DVDFab products have the same limitation on subtitles.

-

-
post #29 of 45 Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 62
If you use DVDFab to rip to folder uncompressed and then use MakeMKV, you can keep PGS subtitles; if anyone wants to know. I do this cause I use DVDFab to remove unneeded chapters, like end credits.
post #30 of 45 Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 PM

Liked: 12
Used Makemkv for the first time and it solved an issue I was having with Dvdfab in regards to ripping one of my TV Show Boxsets. I will try this out on another set as well.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page