Please help, heading towards overkill and am having over-analysis paralysis. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-18-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The short and sweet of it for those who are tldr inclined is that I am looking for that sweet spot in a processor that is enough to handle 1080p content without lag, but power sipping enough not to need too many fans to be annoying during the quiet parts of movies. With proc and chipset suggestions, I can find the right board (unless you have a burning suggestion which is welcome).

More detail: So I’ve been planning my htpc build for a while now. Have gone in a few different directions already, but keep changing my mind, and now I know what I want, just not what I need. I’ve done my research, and am no newb (lurker maybe), but the problem is that I keep talking myself into getting way more than I need for this build. I need some objective perspective.
What I want to achieve:
I want to watch Blu-ray and play HD content off the net, music, etc. No DVR/PVR. No gaming.
I already have 12tb of content, so I need a board with sata to spare (min 6 ports with at least one esata).
I want it to have uefi for fast boot, and Raid. Planning on Win8 64.
I’m Intel, just am, no slight to amd, it’s just my comfort zone.
Money isn’t an option, but I just don’t want to spend more than I will actually need/use for this build. I don’t want a Ferrari just for driving to the mailbox to pick up my mail.
Willing to source out used, so can be anything including older if it fits the bill.

So i3, i5, atom or wait for Avoton, etc? Ivy or Sandy? Integrated + graphics core, or fanless card?
Please save me from myself. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-18-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've got one of the low power i3's and it does everything you want. I use Speedfan to throttle back the stock CPU fan. Even when it's running "hot" the fan runs just above 50%.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-18-2013, 10:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Celeron G1610 with integated GPU (~$45) is enough. B75 (no onboard RAID), H77 or Z77 chipset mb. Many ASRock B75/H77/Z77 mb has 8 SATA ports (Intel + ASM1061 chip).

Add a discrete graphics such as Radeon HD 7790 if you want the best video playback experience.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-23-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am using an i3 3220T in a HTPC and am very happy with it. It is very cool and therefore quiet - with the stock low profile fan. The WMC & MB interfaces are fast. You should be able to pick one up for under $130.

For a few $s more...
The i7 3770S is a great CPU. It is a little slower than the unlocked 3770K. However for that you get a chip that will always run cool and quiet.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-23-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 187
i3 3220T is plenty for what you describe. Resolutions have plateaued at 1080p (and will stay there for who-knows-how-long), but the chips keep getting better. You don't need a high-end chip to push video around.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-23-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
I'd check out the lga2011 chips; most of them have 6 cores smile.gif

AsRock extreme 11 should match up nice. Plenty of SATA ports...

/end sarcasm

Otherwise a basic pentium level is probably fine smile.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page