Extending a Wifi signal 300ft outside? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-21-2013, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to extend my wifi signal about 300ft outside my home to our community pool/workout area in my condo complex. The problem is there is a building and trees separating the area and where the router is. I also want to use smartphones and tablets as clients so I can't use a higher power receiving antenna.

My router is an Asus RT-N16 running Tomato firmware and is in a good location right next to my patio door which faces the direction I want to shoot the signal.

Would getting a newer router be better then trying to boost the signal with something like this:

Wifi Booster

Is what I want to accomplish even possible with the clients I want to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-21-2013, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would look at adding something like a Ubiquiti Nanostation M2 to the existing LAN and aiming it at the area you intend to cover. Since the goal is to cover something in one direction from where the router is, you'll do better with directional antennas like the one in the Nanostation rather than the omnidirectional antenna you linked to.

I don't think the RT-N16 has replaceable antennas, otherwise you could hook up a directional antenna directly.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-21-2013, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I agree with Noah about going directional if possible, I also was coming in to reccomend Ubiquiti products. I have no personal use but have seen them used and they work great for the price. If you don't want to go directional they also make the UniFi AP Outdoor which I believe would give 360 coverage.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-21-2013, 05:02 AM

Liked: 12
Get that Amped booster and a Bilco Cantenna.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-21-2013, 01:54 PM

The RT-N16 does have replaceable antennas. I know the RT-N16 on DDWRT firmware you can boost the transmit power. I'm not as familiar with tomato but I would assume it has the same ability.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-22-2013, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, Tomato can increase the transmit power but it doesn't seem to help going past 60 on the scale. I figured the directional antenna would be the best solution but I didn't know of a good one to check out. I will definitely look into Ubiquiti products, where can they be purchased for a good price and I would prefer to be able to return it if it doesn't work for my situation. So you don't think I will have an issue on the client receiving end even with the standard reception antennas in the phones and tablets. I would like to be able to run plex on these devices to watch video.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 AM

Were you able to solve this, i need to also increase my WiFi signal outside my home. I just installed an Airport Express to power a couple of outdoor speakers.

The system works well and i am able to control the music using the remote app on my phone, but i lose my home WiFi signal when i move a few feet away from the house.

I was looking at something like this to extend my WiFi

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA5210G-Outdoor-Wireless-directional/dp/B004PFQX7K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1LLNAXZNFWM4I&coliid=I115CA0S17E2XB
post #8 of 10 Old 06-27-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post

Were you able to solve this, i need to also increase my WiFi signal outside my home. I just installed an Airport Express to power a couple of outdoor speakers.

The system works well and i am able to control the music using the remote app on my phone, but i lose my home WiFi signal when i move a few feet away from the house.

I was looking at something like this to extend my WiFi

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA5210G-Outdoor-Wireless-directional/dp/B004PFQX7K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1LLNAXZNFWM4I&coliid=I115CA0S17E2XB

That TP Link access point is exactly what I ended up buying. It is actually quite powerful however it doesn't quite have the range through the obstructions for my needs with the cclients I am using. It is also pretty directional. I would guess it would be fine for your situation. If you can mount it high up and put it outdoors it would be superb. I still have yet to test mine outdoors but inside next to my router it can only reach about 100ft outside to my tablet.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 04:08 AM

Thank you for the response.

After reading through some other threads, i think what i really need (if it exist). Is something that will be a wireless access point, with the ability to attach an "outdoor antenna" to. It would also allow me to connect some wired devices to it (all of the ports on my netgear router are full.

Like i said i am not sure if one device can do everytihn i want.

So to put it another way, i would run a cat5 line to this "new peice of equipment", it would be mounted on the inside of the house. Then this "new peice of equipment" would feed three wired conncetions that are also inside the house and also allow me to supply wireless conncetion to my outdoor patio.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-18-2014, 06:25 PM

Liked: 0
Ubiquiti Works great

Have a client that need to extend his internet broad band from his home to is work office that was about a mile from his house, across a very busy interstate highway.

Used two Ubiquiti adapters to beam his home internet to his office. Placed the adapter at his house at the peak of the two story house and aimed it at his office that was across the highway and a very large open field.

At his office put the second adapter to receive the signal at the top of a 30 foot telephone pole. This provided clearance for all vehicle traffic on the highway, and in his home yard plus at his office. His office had dozen's of semi-trucks coming, going and parking all over the place.

From there we rand Cat-5 cable from the adapters down into the buildings and hook it into his local routers and network. He is running the network at 300Mb sec (ubiquiti speed), and his local network is actually a gigabyte switch.
Is local internet is 60Mbit sec.

His is able access and work from his home office as though he is sitting in his office.

Problems that had us choose the Ubiquiti adapters were:

1) A lot of external wi-fi access had to be restricted (highway traffic, cars in parking lot, etc...) The Ubiquiti adapters have a range of 10 miles. Don't want anyone unauthorized accessing his network.

2) Clearance for vehicle traffic (trucks, semi's, cars, highway, parked, etc...).

3) Get a strong enough signal between points during heavy rain or snow blizzards (Michigan winters).

4) have enough speed between locations to allow home access to office network for the Owner to work from home.

5) To be able to handle maximum internet speed from Home and Office (1 mile apart).

Ubiquiti provided a very clean setup and not much hassle and great security.

Binque ---

ps. I have setup hundreds of business networks, but this was a challenge and Ubiquiti saved to day.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page