XBox One? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Alright, well this info was posted today, confirming that Kinect does not need to be connected to the X1 in order for it to operate.

This means that if you don't want to use Kinect at all, your free to unplug it and store it somewhere without any issue.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

That pretty much wraps up the issues some had with privacy and those that simply had no interest in using Kinect, at least at first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

I have a hard time imagining that because Directv pays a fortune for that exclusive privilege. When you look at the other leagues like MLB and the NHL their out of market packages are available on most MSOs and they also sell their own internet streaming options. Sunday Ticket is ONLY available on Directv (though I seem to remember something about them dropping the exclusivity?)

A version of it is also available on the PS3, it's no longer exclusive to D*. Getting it on the Xbone would be no different. And if you preordered Madden 2014 from Amazon you get the full NFL 2013 season on a PC too (for free), assuming you fib and tell the NFL that you can't get D*.
post #273 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

A version of it is also available on the PS3, it's no longer exclusive to D*. Getting it on the Xbone would be no different. And if you preordered Madden 2014 from Amazon you get the full NFL 2013 season on a PC too (for free), assuming you fib and tell the NFL that you can't get D*.

With all of those versions though, you are paying DirecTV for the streaming service (well, for Amazon, it sounds like Amazon themselves are paying DirecTV) and you stream it directly from DirecTV. Microsoft having a deal with the NFL doesn't really mean much, because they'd need another deal with DirecTV, who still is the exclusive provider in the US for another couple years.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #274 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 200
you still order that PS3 package thru Directv right? Microsoft's Xbox One deal is with the NFL directly. I hope it is some iteration of Sunday Ticket but I wouldn't hold my breath.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #275 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

you still order that PS3 package thru Directv right? Microsoft's Xbox One deal is with the NFL directly. I hope it is some iteration of Sunday Ticket but I wouldn't hold my breath.

For the Xbox One, all I've seen is that it is an "Enhanced" experience, but it says nothing about providing actual NFL games, only interactive content and fantasy overlays. I have been specifically looking to see if it mentions anywhere that you can view games through it, because any alternative to D* is a good thing!
post #276 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

A Yahoo Fantasy Football plugin for WMC has been one of my top wants for years.

Its a cool feature on some newer smart tvs. Samsung has a good implementation. When I was selling A/V gear on the side I always logged into my fantasy team on Sundays. A little scoring bug popped up in the corner of the screen and updated automatically when my players scored.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #277 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Don't think you need to fib, according to the FAQ on the madden 25th edition

Do I need a DirecTV subscription to access NFL Sunday Ticket?
No, it's not necessary to have a DirecTV subscription. Each Anniversary Edition includes a code that can be redeemed to access the full 2013 regular season (17 weeks) of NFL Sunday Ticket on computer, tablet, and mobile devices.

I certainly hope this is the case otherwise I spent 100 bucks on a game.
post #278 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_us View Post

Quote:

No, it's not necessary to have a DirecTV subscription. Each Anniversary Edition includes a code that can be redeemed to access the full 2013 regular season (17 weeks) of NFL Sunday Ticket on computer, tablet, and mobile devices.

So you have to pay to buy a game you may not be interested in playing to get Sunday Ticket outside DTV? I'm glad I'm not an NFL fanatic. My friends are and if there's a game I must see, I'll just go to their place to watch it.

post #279 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

So you have to pay to buy a game you may not be interested in playing to get Sunday Ticket outside DTV?

No.

My HTPC front end set up
post #280 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Who said I'm not interested in it? Madden is the shizzle...but maybe not 100 dollars.
post #281 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you have to pay to buy a game you may not be interested in playing to get Sunday Ticket outside DTV? I'm glad I'm not an NFL fanatic. My friends are and if there's a game I must see, I'll just go to their place to watch it.

No, but it costs $350 if you're buying it without the game, so yeah...

post #282 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 12:18 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_us View Post

Does Sunday Ticket also cover the Monday and Thursday games? $100 for all the games sounds good!
post #283 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it's subject to the typical blackouts.

So in Harrisburg are you considered the Pittsburgh or Philadelphia media market?

For someone in New York City, for instance, no games involving the Giants or Jets would show up on Sunday Ticket. Also any nationally televised game (NBC Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football, NFL Network Thursday Night) wouldn't be shown.

My HTPC front end set up
post #284 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Does Sunday Ticket also cover the Monday and Thursday games? $100 for all the games sounds good!

It does not. Nor does it cover the Sunday night games.

post #285 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Anyone heard of any updates of Microsoft's proof of concept, IllumiRoom? Was hoping that would catch on as an add on peripheral and help add a more immersive experience to gaming.
post #286 of 340 Old 08-13-2013, 03:41 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:

I think it's subject to the typical blackouts.

So in Harrisburg are you considered the Pittsburgh or Philadelphia media market?

For someone in New York City, for instance, no games involving the Giants or Jets would show up on Sunday Ticket. Also any nationally televised game (NBC Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football, NFL Network Thursday Night) wouldn't be shown.

I am considered in both Baltimore and Philadelphia regions - so when both the Ravens and the Eagles are playing home games I cannot watch the Steelers. If I understand correctly, you are saying this is worthless to me.
post #287 of 340 Old 08-14-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193
With a cheap VPN sub for the fall and the right router setup, anything is possible with the streaming version of Ticket...
post #288 of 340 Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 AM

Alright, some more good news today regarding something important to us in the home theater realm: remote control

Well at the Gamescom event, MS had a private reveal of their dashboard software in beta form. No pictures were allowed, but there are stories going over the details:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/123043-xbox-one-ui-eyes-on-first-look-at-the-new-console-s-user-experience

The important bit regarding remotes is about halfway down:
Quote:
Another new feature that uses voice commands also uses the built-in IR blaster. You can programme the Xbox One to control every AV device in your set-up and, by just saying things like "Xbox volume up" and "Xbox volume down" you can control your TV, amplifier or whatever else you choose. As long as the item of kit accepts infra-red controls, it can be operated through the Xbox One and Kinect - and all while you're playing too.

Microsoft will also be hosting a data library of IR codes - much like the Harmony remotes - so you just need to search for your kit and it will assign the codes automatically.

I was wondering how the ir feature would be used and now we know. Kinect can be used like a Harmony remote. MS will have a database of devices and we can setup all the commands for our devices to work with voice. That's pretty cool.
migraine24-7 likes this.
post #289 of 340 Old 08-22-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
The very LAST thing I want to do when I need more volume is yell at the TV drowning out what I already cannot hear. I'll use my trusty H-900, thank you very much!

post #290 of 340 Old 08-22-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I never used WMC or a VCR with IR blasters, but I do use it with Google TV.

The GTV doesn't even need to use the wired blasters - the corners of the box send out a powerful beam of light. Its been strong enough to control the extender sitting next to it and the tv hanging on the wall above it. Hopefully Microsoft's implementation is along that line.

Speaking of NFL I read yesterday that Google/Youtube is pursing the Sunday Ticket lineup, and that Directv pays $1,000,000,000 annually for it. Holy moly. Microsoft's deal with the NFL is for $400,000,000. I don't know if there is much to infer with that but it's not half of what D* pays in fees.

My HTPC front end set up
post #291 of 340 Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:

The very LAST thing I want to do when I need more volume is yell at the TV drowning out what I already cannot hear. I'll use my trusty H-900, thank you very much!

That's fine, but if all your going to do is sum of the features as yelling to change the volume, your missing the bigger point.

Such as being able to walk in the room and say a command to turn on all of my devices to the settings needed. Again, it sounds like a Harmony-like control system. So maybe you can set up a single word to trigger usage.

But if you aren't a fan of voice control at all, then that's cool, this isn't a feature you need to worry about.

For those of us interested, its pretty cool to see the X1 having such extensive controls.
migraine24-7 likes this.
post #292 of 340 Old 08-23-2013, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi! A few questions:
1) I have a Panasonic GT50 with Comcast cable. Will the X1 automatically switch picture modes when switching from watching TV (ie THX Movie Mode) to playing a game on "game mode"??
2) Will I be able to store my own .mp4/.avi/.mkv/divx files in the X1's hard drive?
3) I notice in all the kinect videos, the xbox console's and camera's "X-Logo" is pretty bright. It would distract me during a movie. Will I be able to turn off or dim it completely? Check it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0laWhMc2C4g

Thanks.
post #293 of 340 Old 08-23-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd be shocked if it played MKV files.

post #294 of 340 Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Xbox One will not be a WMC extender:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one
Quote:
Will Xbox One work as a Windows Media Center Extender? For those that use a PC with TV tuner to record and watch TV, we use the 360 as an extender to stream this content to TVs. Will this continue with Xbox One?
WHITTEN: Xbox One isn’t a native Media Center Extender. We’ll continue to work to enable more ways for everyone to get the television they want over the life of the program.
post #295 of 340 Old 09-03-2013, 09:22 AM

Liked: 16
That's.... pretty much exactly what I thought would happen. XBone is all about that HDMI passthrough for your existing leased DOS-like DVR.
post #296 of 340 Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, not surprised in the least on that.

post #297 of 340 Old 09-03-2013, 05:59 PM

Liked: 16
I would think MS has some kind of "wrap" strategy for WMC at this point...
- Stop all services that MS has to pay for. Guide Data and DVD of course. Fox Sports data? CableCARD certs? DRM?
- Maybe the next big xbox 360 update that brings the UI up to XBone will kill extender support.
- Windows 8.2, 9, etc. will not have any WMC option at all.

Hopefully by that time, the medium will have evolved past the need for WMC, or Ceton comes up with their own media center solution.
post #298 of 340 Old 09-03-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

They will still provide guide data for the One. No idea what bearing that has on other products.

Sports data is definitely non existent anymore. Apparently there are no baseball games on and only MLS scores are available

My HTPC front end set up
post #299 of 340 Old 09-03-2013, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

They will still provide guide data for the One. No idea what bearing that has on other products.

Sports data is definitely non existent anymore. Apparently there are no baseball games on and only MLS scores are available

Yeah, that definitely pisses me off. NFL regular season starts Thursday frown.gif Might as well hide the strips now from WMC, no use in having them show up if they don't work.
post #300 of 340 Old 09-03-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Huh, I have to admit I never use the Sports strip and so I didn't notice that, but it's absolutely ridiculous for that to happen with something that users are paying $10 to activate now.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page