XBox One? - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 340 Old 11-27-2013, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm really disappointed with my xbox one. No DLNA, no CEC, no WMC abilities, no HDMI pass through (you need to power on the xbox one). Thinking about sending mine back to amazon for a refund, but will probably at least wait until the return window is closing. I also have a PS4, and I think it's a much better system - nicer looking, smaller, better hardware, nicer UI. And hoping they add DLNA and DTCP-IP eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 340 Old 11-27-2013, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

I'm really disappointed with my xbox one. No DLNA, no CEC, no WMC abilities, no HDMI pass through (you need to power on the xbox one). Thinking about sending mine back to amazon for a refund, but will probably at least wait until the return window is closing. I also have a PS4, and I think it's a much better system - nicer looking, smaller, better hardware, nicer UI. And hoping they add DLNA and DTCP-IP eventually.

Interesting feedback on the PS4 UI. Most review sites and users feel the Xbox One software and UI are far ahead of the PS4. I agree with the physical appeal of the PS4. I'm not willing to risk waiting for DLNA support on the PS4. I might as well wait for the Xbox One support.
post #333 of 340 Old 11-28-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I never opened my Xbox One and decided to unload it. Undercut Craigslist for a quick $70 profit. Doesn't anyone posting on Craigslist search for the item they are selling? There were posts for the same exact thing in the same exact areas for $600 to $1,000.

post #334 of 340 Old 11-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

Interesting feedback on the PS4 UI. Most review sites and users feel the Xbox One software and UI are far ahead of the PS4. I agree with the physical appeal of the PS4. I'm not willing to risk waiting for DLNA support on the PS4. I might as well wait for the Xbox One support.

Really? Where have you been reading this? I've read multiple reviews of both consoles, and while they actually do things a little different (XB1 is primarily multimedia + a bit of gaming, the PS4 is the opposite), most reviews have favoured the PS4, and see it as having a lot of future potential. For us HTPC junkies, maybe the XB1 makes more sense, but it feels very much like a MS lockin, with many features hidden behind the MS paywall. Besides, you have to admit, once the dust has settled, it's only a matter of time before MS start re-introducing all those features it turned a 180 on. They were the future of the Xbox for MS, and there's no way they're just going to drop them all. They may be re-named, and drip fed slowly back into the system, but you can get they will be back in there over the next 12-18 months.
post #335 of 340 Old 11-28-2013, 02:47 PM

The Xbox one is supposed to be an all-in-one media entertainment system, and it fails pretty hard at launch. You can't even play your local content. It's basically just a gaming system with netflix, hulu and MS's media ecosystem (something anyone with a smart TV has access to). I have my xbox 360 plugged into my xbox one so I can watch tv via WMC extender, and there isn't even commands to record. Have to juggle multiple remotes, controllers, ect. It's a joke IMO. Just have a read here to see how unhappy the media/nas/htpc types are http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_feedback/f/2604.aspx

PS4 is just a gaming system, and only marketed as such. But they heard a demand for DLNA, and at least responded saying they'll forward the interest to the powers that be.
post #336 of 340 Old 11-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

The Xbox one is supposed to be an all-in-one media entertainment system, and it fails pretty hard at launch. You can't even play your local content. It's basically just a gaming system with netflix, hulu and MS's media ecosystem (something anyone with a smart TV has access to). I have my xbox 360 plugged into my xbox one so I can watch tv via WMC extender, and there isn't even commands to record. Have to juggle multiple remotes, controllers, ect. It's a joke IMO. Just have a read here to see how unhappy the media/nas/htpc types are http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_feedback/f/2604.aspx

PS4 is just a gaming system, and only marketed as such. But they heard a demand for DLNA, and at least responded saying they'll forward the interest to the powers that be.

There seems to be quite the bit of misinformation that keeps being repeated about the Xbox One as if some have an agenda or something. First all of this nonsense about the PS4's focus on games and the Xbox One not being a gaming platform is utter stupidity. 90% of all the games released will be on both platforms and each has their own must have exclusives. Second, the new kinect makes navigating the Xbox One stupid easy. The interface was clearly designed around this paradigm and when used as envisioned the machine screams. A lot of people have a knee jerk reaction to the kinect and truly miss out. It's not perfect but it works dang near all the time and is hands down my favorite control system to date.

No one is more is more disappointed about the loss of media center more than me, but I found that I can still play all of my media on the XBOX One using the Play-to functionality. And I don't know where you read that there's no HDMI pass-thru, but my cable box passes thru just fine with the xbox off, with off meaning its low power standby state. Some will complain about the extra $3-5 a year this power state will incur them in electricity cost, but I'd gladly play 10x that for updates to take place while I'm not using the system. As it stands now I can't seem to power up my PS3 or 360 without some app putting everything on hold because it needs an update.

As to aesthetics, first it's a personal opinion and you really can't change someone's mind on this one, but I will that I couldn't care less about what it looks like as long as it's black, fits in my AV rack, and is relatively quiet. Right now the hum from Panasonic plasma (when the screen is nearly white) will completely drown out the Xbox One fan. It's crazy silent.

I always feel weird defending Microsoft because I really don't have a dog in these fights, but between the tech press and rapid fanboys it gets extremely tiring reading regurgitated drivel or obviously slanted articles over and over again. Like people complain about the app situation on Windows tablets when in fact the number of tablet-optimized apps for windows and android are on par with each other and iOS having about 2-2.5x that number (the number of phone apps is another story). But getting back the subject matter, anyone who says that the PS4 has greater potential is seriously drinking the Sony Kool-aid. The gaming situation is and will always be a wash. They have nowhere near the infrastructure investment that Microsoft has for developing apps on their gaming platform. And for Sony, media is an afterthought while it's baked into the Xbox One. Like I said, I don't have a dog in the fight. I've got a PS3, PS4, 360, Wii and an Xbox One and a gaming rig (no Wii U in this household though). Just get tired of hearing all the undeserved negativity and misinformation being thrown around.
post #337 of 340 Old 11-28-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shairob View Post

There seems to be quite the bit of misinformation that keeps being repeated about the Xbox One as if some have an agenda or something. First all of this nonsense about the PS4's focus on games and the Xbox One not being a gaming platform is utter stupidity. 90% of all the games released will be on both platforms and each has their own must have exclusives. Second, the new kinect makes navigating the Xbox One stupid easy. The interface was clearly designed around this paradigm and when used as envisioned the machine screams. A lot of people have a knee jerk reaction to the kinect and truly miss out. It's not perfect but it works dang near all the time and is hands down my favorite control system to date.

No one is more is more disappointed about the loss of media center more than me, but I found that I can still play all of my media on the XBOX One using the Play-to functionality. And I don't know where you read that there's no HDMI pass-thru, but my cable box passes thru just fine with the xbox off, with off meaning its low power standby state. Some will complain about the extra $3-5 a year this power state will incur them in electricity cost, but I'd gladly play 10x that for updates to take place while I'm not using the system. As it stands now I can't seem to power up my PS3 or 360 without some app putting everything on hold because it needs an update.

As to aesthetics, first it's a personal opinion and you really can't change someone's mind on this one, but I will that I couldn't care less about what it looks like as long as it's black, fits in my AV rack, and is relatively quiet. Right now the hum from Panasonic plasma (when the screen is nearly white) will completely drown out the Xbox One fan. It's crazy silent.

I always feel weird defending Microsoft because I really don't have a dog in these fights, but between the tech press and rapid fanboys it gets extremely tiring reading regurgitated drivel or obviously slanted articles over and over again. Like people complain about the app situation on Windows tablets when in fact the number of tablet-optimized apps for windows and android are on par with each other and iOS having about 2-2.5x that number (the number of phone apps is another story). But getting back the subject matter, anyone who says that the PS4 has greater potential is seriously drinking the Sony Kool-aid. The gaming situation is and will always be a wash. They have nowhere near the infrastructure investment that Microsoft has for developing apps on their gaming platform. And for Sony, media is an afterthought while it's baked into the Xbox One. Like I said, I don't have a dog in the fight. I've got a PS3, PS4, 360, Wii and an Xbox One and a gaming rig (no Wii U in this household though). Just get tired of hearing all the undeserved negativity and misinformation being thrown around.

#1 I never said it wasn't a gaming system. But it was also marketed as a all-in-one media entertainment system. And it fails here so far.

#2 It wouldn't pass through my xbox 360 when in standby. or off, whatever is the standard off.

IMO the xbox 360 is much more of an all in one media entertainment system. No misinformation here. Just facts and opinions. PlayOn is a half-assed solution for a company on the DLNA board. It offers nothing a smart TV can't do, beside playing games. And just so you know I'm not biased, or some kind of fanboy. I own a PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, like a 10 android devices, Ceton InfiniTV4, SiliconDust HD Prime, multiple HTPCs, had purchased and returned a Ceton Echo. I pretty buy all gadgets.
post #338 of 340 Old 11-30-2013, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

#1 I never said it wasn't a gaming system. But it was also marketed as a all-in-one media entertainment system. And it fails here so far.

IMO the xbox 360 is much more of an all in one media entertainment system. No misinformation here. Just facts and opinions. PlayOn is a half-assed solution for a company on the DLNA board. It offers nothing a smart TV can't do, beside playing games. And just so you know I'm not biased, or some kind of fanboy. I own a PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, like a 10 android devices, Ceton InfiniTV4, SiliconDust HD Prime, multiple HTPCs, had purchased and returned a Ceton Echo. I pretty buy all gadgets.

I agree completely. Remember the official unveiling of the XB1? Hardly a mention of a game, which seriously upset a lot of people. All the focus was on the multimedia aspects, so this is obviously where MS were focusing the console. Yes, it does play games, but that never appeared to be it's primary goal. It now seems that the actual media functionality of the XB1 is also lacking, and certainly not all it was cracked up to be. Like Sony, I'm sure MS will be adding features in due course, but it all seems to be quite a disappointment so far.
post #339 of 340 Old 12-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Anyone know if you can extend the Kinect cable for the XboxOne? 9 feet won't cut it for me. I contacted MS support and they didn't have any info yet. Except he said that the specs said it was a proprietary cable. I can't see why MS would've made a new cable with all the options out there already. Oh ya I can think of one reason, $$$. smile.gif But I still don't think its a new cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

GO BLUE
post #340 of 340 Old 12-05-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Theres a big thread about the Kinect cable in the Xbox forum. Its *mostly* a standard usb cable with a funny connector. A few brave souls have been slicing theirs up trying to figure out a way to extend it.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page