post #91 of 340 Old 05-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

But where is the value in adding yet another box to your A/V cabinet? What does the Xbox one bring to the table that you can honestly say is a "must have" feature/capability? You can talk to it. Big deal. I don't see people laying out wads of cash for that. It's sexy, but even that has its limits (see: Apple).

User interface and ease of use. Although I realize this is highly personal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 340 Old 05-22-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

I'm gonna go ahead and call this a product a failure right now. You heard it here first.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. It's a failure only from a "media" perspective. From a gaming perspective, I suspect a lot of gamers are salivating to get their hands on this.

From an HT/media perspective - Utter disappointment.
post #93 of 340 Old 05-22-2013, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Perhaps some maybe over thinking this whole live tv, DVR thing. Or perhaps it is just me. The bottom line is at this very moment I can and do watch live TV on my Xbox 360 no problems. I am a FIOS customer and currently the deal between FIOS and Microsoft allows me to watch up 75 live to channels on my xbox via the internet. Now I do not choose to use this set up on my main HT TV but it is great for the bedrooms TVs. Now if the XBOX one can improve this already decent service and it also allows you to DVR some shows as well this could be nice, but I don't know if it would be nice enought for me to get rid of my HTPC set up in the main HT area.
post #94 of 340 Old 05-22-2013, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

I wouldn't necessarily say that. It's a failure only from a "media" perspective. From a gaming perspective, I suspect a lot of gamers are salivating to get their hands on this.

If I'm a gamer and I'm looking at laying out for a new Xbox with a limited selection of new games, no backwards compatibility for older games, a kludgy control interface, half-assed TV integration with little to no content and a two year "agreement" for a lot of crap I'm not likely to use anyway.. I laugh out loud and head for the door.

Like I said. Fail. End of story.
post #95 of 340 Old 05-22-2013, 06:53 PM

That bit about the new Kinect being able to detect a heartbeat might be a selling point to olde users. If it detects a flatline, it'll call 911 for you. smile.gif
turls likes this.
post #96 of 340 Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

Perhaps some maybe over thinking this whole live tv, DVR thing. Or perhaps it is just me. The bottom line is at this very moment I can and do watch live TV on my Xbox 360 no problems. I am a FIOS customer and currently the deal between FIOS and Microsoft allows me to watch up 75 live to channels on my xbox via the internet. Now I do not choose to use this set up on my main HT TV but it is great for the bedrooms TVs. Now if the XBOX one can improve this already decent service and it also allows you to DVR some shows as well this could be nice, but I don't know if it would be nice enought for me to get rid of my HTPC set up in the main HT area.

+1
post #97 of 340 Old 05-22-2013, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheiskel View Post

Given microsofts lack of commitment to media center, i have serious doubts about how long they will support live tv in the one. The cable companies barely supported cable card and by extension media center. Imagine a non techie consumer trying to integrate their tv,cable box and xbox one, i doubt if microsoft really wants any part of that headache. Microsoft and apple both want to insert themselves into the middle of your home intertainment, and in microsofts case pay them a monthly fee for the privelige. I for one dont see much value to this. Google on the other hand by becoming both an isp and cable provider with gigabit bandwidth will be better positioned to play this role, albeit in a limited number of cities. Imagine the xbox one teamed up with google fiber, if they were tightly integrated the $130 / month fee might prove irresistable to a lot of customers. Here is hoping google is paying close attention!

Wouldn't not being able to support live tv go against everything Microsoft is doing with the One? I mean that kinda is the whole point behind the name "XBOX One."

I don't see a reason why a tuner like the HDHomeRun Prime wouldn't be able to work with the One as it works with MediaCenter. All they have to do is take the Live TV and DVR part of MediaCenter and make it part of the One.

I read the One was powered by Windows, if that's the case I pray someone can make an XBMC app for it. Being able to hook it up to a server would be a dream come true. Does anyone know if Cinivia protects the entire device from playing non-original content or just the Blu-ray player?

Having one device that is able to do everything shouldn't be this hard. Everyone who sees my setup absolutely loves it, right now the only reason I think this is a niche market is because I don't think enough people know about it. I think if a company like Microsoft is able to show everyone else what it's like to have one device that does everything they could accomplish their goals of the XBOX One, although for most people Netflix would replace XBMC.
post #98 of 340 Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Funny. An XBoxMediaCenter app on an XBox.

post #99 of 340 Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

IN 2011 there were a couple million TiVo users and maybe about four million WMC users. That is six million people that aren't technologically savvy enough to use a CableCARD tuner? That's a lot of people (but still a small fraction of the whole media consuming market) that can easily integrate a One as their primary STB if they desired.

But where is the value in adding yet another box to your A/V cabinet? What does the Xbox one bring to the table that you can honestly say is a "must have" feature/capability? You can talk to it. Big deal. I don't see people laying out wads of cash for that. It's sexy, but even that has its limits (see: Apple).

I'm gonna go ahead and call this a product a failure right now. You heard it here first.

You're not a gamer I take it? Because from a gaming standpoint it's not a failure.

GO BLUE
post #100 of 340 Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

You're not a gamer I take it? Because from a gaming standpoint it's not a failure.

Ok.. so.. Answer my question.. what's the value for you? What is it about the Xbox One that appeals to you from a gaming perspective? And would those things be worth the money Microsoft is sure to ask for it?
post #101 of 340 Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Gamers are going to buy it no matter what the price. In fact, gamers are going to buy it on ebay for 4x (or more) the price when there is a shortage at launch. History will repeat itself once again. Heck, they are so hungry for new consoles that they will spend more than retail just to get the empty packaging (apparently there glasses were too foggy for them to read the description?).

MCE users are a drop in the bucket compared to the gaming community. Fail as a media (center) appliance? Maybe, maybe not (only time will tell). Fail as a gaming console? Not likely. And don't forget that MS still considers Windows 8 a win even though it has yet to pass Vista in usage.
post #102 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Leave it to MS to launch another product that underwhelms... it could of been a killer media box.

... no CableCARD or DVR, internet connection required, still using the dated Media Center, games not backwards compatible, Sony beats them on the hardware.
post #103 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Gamers are going to buy it no matter what the price. In fact, gamers are going to buy it on ebay for 4x (or more) the price when there is a shortage at launch. History will repeat itself once again. Heck, they are so hungry for new consoles that they will spend more than retail just to get the empty packaging (apparently there glasses were too foggy for them to read the description?).

MCE users are a drop in the bucket compared to the gaming community. Fail as a media (center) appliance? Maybe, maybe not (only time will tell). Fail as a gaming console? Not likely. And don't forget that MS still considers Windows 8 a win even though it has yet to pass Vista in usage.

Very good point. MicroSoft thinks they have a win here as the ONE must have appliance for your living room entertainment. But for the masses that don't use HTPC's maybe they do?

post #104 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 05:32 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:

Very good point. MicroSoft thinks they have a win here as the ONE must have appliance for your living room entertainment. But for the masses that don't use HTPC's maybe they do?

Bolded for emphasis - and I completely agree. Look at the iPOD as an example. It takes pristine music and makes it sound worse and people love it, buying it in droves. Even those who do not regularly worship at the Church of Apple love the iPOD. Microsoft realizes there are two groups of people wrt home theater, there is us and those who are not us - and those who are not us outnumber us by a HUGE amount. It is smart that they cater to the massive group if they want to win as a company. I WANT them to also cater to us, and maybe they have but simply are playing their cards close to their chest until launch day - we will have to wait to find out.
post #105 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

Ok.. so.. Answer my question.. what's the value for you? What is it about the Xbox One that appeals to you from a gaming perspective? And would those things be worth the money Microsoft is sure to ask for it?

Did you watch the presser? The graphics, background downloads, dynamic game enhancements, more servers, and I could go on and on! I think everybody will be surprised by the price. I'm betting $500 or under. MS has already stated they want a ONE in every house. Can't do that at $600. And with the success of the $99 Xbox 360 with 2 year agreement for Xbox Live I expect a deal similar to that at launch. You end up paying more $$ in the long run but some people don't understand that. And some people do understand that but they can pay $25 a month easier than coming up with $300 at once. If they do this type of deal it will crush Nintendo and badly wound Sony. Nintendo's console is on life support already and it's still new.

GO BLUE
post #106 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
As a media device, if you must use this with a cable box you're already paying $10/mo. for, what exactly is the appeal? You'd be willing to pay $500 for a prettier guide and limited streaming abilities?

If it stands alone without a cable box and works with HD Homerun Prime then maybe I'll change my tune. But at this point it feels like a sort of half-assed attempt to be the "one" device. The worst part for Msoft is that in trying to satisfy both the gamer and media/HT enthusiast they've sort of alienated both, at least by intitial impression.
linguica101 likes this.
post #107 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 07:16 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Sorry no one will break into my house and steal my DVR and use it gun down twenty school children. DVRs and guns are not even germane for the same discussion.

+1...Thank-you
post #108 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Sorry no one will break into my house and steal my DVR and use it gun down twenty school children. DVRs and guns are not even germane for the same discussion.

Agree with you there. Not arguing that at all, nor did I reference that (I don't intend to make it political and wont)

Also just to let you know I live in Monroe, CT and my house is less than 5 miles away from Sandy Hook, so I completely understand the gravity of the statement which you are making.
post #109 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

As a media device, if you must use this with a cable box you're already paying $10/mo. for, what exactly is the appeal? You'd be willing to pay $500 for a prettier guide and limited streaming abilities?

If it stands alone without a cable box and works with HD Homerun Prime then maybe I'll change my tune. But at this point it feels like a sort of half-assed attempt to be the "one" device. The worst part for Msoft is that in trying to satisfy both the gamer and media/HT enthusiast they've sort of alienated both, at least by intitial impression.
Again why do some believe it needs to be connected to a prime or an infinitv. Currently my Xbox 360 allows me to about 75 live to shows right now. If microsoft can improve on this service you could get a better live tv experience.
post #110 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

Again why do some believe it needs to be connected to a prime or an infinitv. Currently my Xbox 360 allows me to about 75 live to shows right now. If microsoft can improve on this service you could get a better live tv experience.

Not everybody has this right, as isn't it FiOS only? Also, what is the quality of that? (I suppose if it is on FiOS it is every bit as good as CaTV delivers, but don't know for a fact)

post #111 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:

No, but they may break into your house and steal your DVR, sell it at a pawn shop to buy a gun illegally at that same shop, and then gun down twenty school children. Or buy crack with it and use their already illegally owned gun to gun down twenty school children while stoned out of their mind. But good job on purposefully missing his point. His point, since you purposefully missed it, was that legislation to restrict the owning and use of a legal product tends to continue to become more and more draconian against the legal owners of the products and does nothing to stop those who would obtain or use the product illegally. Now you can stop taking offense when none was given and understand that examples of similarity are just that, examples of similarity and not something aimed to offend you.
post #112 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:

So IF you have Fios and IF you aren't concerned about network bandwith and data caps, you can get about 75 channels? That's tempting, but no thanks...
post #113 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

No, but they may break into your house and steak your DVR, sell it at a pawn shop to buy a gun illegally at that same shop, and then gun down twenty school children. Or buy crack with it and use their already illegally owned gun to gun down twenty school children while stoned out of their mind. But good job on purposefully missing his point. His point, since you purposefully missed it, was that legislation to restrict the owning and use of a legal product tends to continue to become more and more draconian against the legal owners of the products and does nothing to stop those who would obtain or use the product illegally. Now you can stop taking offense when none was given and understand that examples of similarity are just that, examples of similarity and not something aimed to offend you.
Remind me again what that has to do with the Xbox. Is there a goverment crackdown on Xboxes so severe that only criminals will own them? Do I need to stockpile them now before Obama takes them away?
post #114 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Remind me again what that has to do with the Xbox. Is there a goverment crackdown on Xboxes so severe that only criminals will own them? Do I need to stockpile them now before Obama takes them away?

The frame of reference is in storing all your recordings in the cloud where others have the ability to take them away from you or decide how often you can access them. It is giving up control that they have in common...rarely does giving others control over you end with them voluntarily giving it back.

Quote:

It may be inefficient but it allows the end user control over it. The cloud DVR is yet another attempt to control what is done with the content. After they get everybody into cloud DVR's they will pull the plug and say it is only available for n number of days or hours or whatever they decide.

When these conglomerates, corporations and partnerships do something that is touted as "better for the consumer" it rarely is and often is the exact opposite.

BTW, I don't think you are spewing or too far off base.
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #115 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

No, but they may break into your house and steak your DVR, sell it at a pawn shop to buy a gun illegally at that same shop, and then gun down twenty school children. Or buy crack with it and use their already illegally owned gun to gun down twenty school children while stoned out of their mind. But good job on purposefully missing his point. His point, since you purposefully missed it, was that legislation to restrict the owning and use of a legal product tends to continue to become more and more draconian against the legal owners of the products and does nothing to stop those who would obtain or use the product illegally. Now you can stop taking offense when none was given and understand that examples of similarity are just that, examples of similarity and not something aimed to offend you.

Which of course is not happening unless you tune to FOX regularly.
realtight likes this.

post #116 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

If I'm a gamer and I'm looking at laying out for a new Xbox with a limited selection of new games, no backwards compatibility for older games, a kludgy control interface, half-assed TV integration with little to no content and a two year "agreement" for a lot of crap I'm not likely to use anyway.. I laugh out loud and head for the door.

Like I said. Fail. End of story.

How do you denounce a product that's not even out yet? To answer your points:

E3 hasn't happened yet, so we have no idea how many games are going to be at launch. And on top of that, do you think publishers are just going to stop making games for it after the launch titles?

Screw backwards compatibility. 90% (I made that figure up) of potential Xbox One owners already have a 360 to play on. They are using a new processor, so why would you a company to invest more money and time on something very few people will play? How many 360 owners still play games from the original Xbox? The only other option is to pull a Sony and stick a 360 in the One case. And cloud gaming is still a really strong possibility. Microsoft has every bit of infrastructure in place to back it up.

Kludgy control interface? Have you seen how many threads in this forum are dedicated to trying to get voice control on an HTPC? Microsoft did it, and did it damn well. Kinect is cutting edge technology, and so far they are the only company to bring it to the living room. OK, so maybe you don't want this version of it, but it's only going to get better, and you have to start somewhere.

Half-assed TV integration: Well that you can blame on the cable companies. MS is working around it (as Google did), and did a damn fine implementation with what they had to work with.

As for the Xbox Live contract, you get what you pay for with that.
post #117 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

Half-assed TV integration: Well that you can blame on the cable companies. MS is working around it (as Google did), and did a damn fine implementation with what they had to work with.

Are they? It sounds like you need a cable box to have cable viewing in the xbox1. Sounds like a epic failure to me. Does that ridiculous implementation not contradict the very name of this thing? Obviously it's not an all in one device, lol.

Now if you can use this new xbox1 w/o a cable box and can use the same type of cable-card tuners on the market now (ceton/silicon) and record/dvr to our own personal storage solution, then it might be kind of ok.

As an htpc perspective, sounds like typical half-a$$ed, Microsoft junk to me. Probably doesn't support mkv, dts... yeah... Might be a great gaming console though.
post #118 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The final specs aren't out. Maybe they'll have a public beta and we all can complain about it on AVS.

post #119 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

How do you denounce a product that's not even out yet? To answer your points:

E3 hasn't happened yet, so we have no idea how many games are going to be at launch. And on top of that, do you think publishers are just going to stop making games for it after the launch titles?

Screw backwards compatibility. 90% (I made that figure up) of potential Xbox One owners already have a 360 to play on. They are using a new processor, so why would you a company to invest more money and time on something very few people will play? How many 360 owners still play games from the original Xbox? The only other option is to pull a Sony and stick a 360 in the One case. And cloud gaming is still a really strong possibility. Microsoft has every bit of infrastructure in place to back it up.

Kludgy control interface? Have you seen how many threads in this forum are dedicated to trying to get voice control on an HTPC? Microsoft did it, and did it damn well. Kinect is cutting edge technology, and so far they are the only company to bring it to the living room. OK, so maybe you don't want this version of it, but it's only going to get better, and you have to start somewhere.

As for the Xbox Live contract, you get what you pay for with that.
Great answers! Looks and sounds like you work for MS. Any insights on whether this thing will support iptv, external USB and/or ethernet tuners?

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #120 of 340 Old 05-23-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 199
This will have to support DTS in some way given that its part of the bluray spec. Which also means Cinavia mad.gif

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page