post #31 of 55 Old 05-22-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

I wouldn't be opposed to m2ts, but from everything I looked at, it seemed like MKV was the best solution.
MKVs have definitely taken off and most tools do seem to be geared towards it. I was just curious why so many go that route and wondering if there was something I was missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 05-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Try it out yourself. I use TsMuxr to mux a m2ts out of a mkv file. Difference is very noticeable. I don't do other way around (m2ts to mkv). Only mkv->m2ts.

I'll try this later tonight though I must add that I find it odd as to why you would go mkv to m2ts smile.gif
post #33 of 55 Old 05-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Because to play a Blu-ray disc (ISO or folder format), I need a player, like TMT, which has Cinavia detection in it. Once converted to MKV, I can play that directly in WMC or any number of open source players that do NOT have Cinavia protection in them.

Does this mean: rip a bluray to m2ts? If yes, then any player will play that file so long as you have appropriate codecs for it.
post #34 of 55 Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

MKVs have definitely taken off and most tools do seem to be geared towards it. I was just curious why so many go that route and wondering if there was something I was missing.

Mkv was the best solution at the time it came out since it offered multi track capability and I don't recall there being free tools for .vob
post #35 of 55 Old 05-23-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Even if free tools were available (and I'm sure there are some), vob is not a suitable container. vob is for standard definition DVDs.
post #36 of 55 Old 05-23-2013, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Plex
post #37 of 55 Old 05-23-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Plex can't handle m2ts?
post #38 of 55 Old 05-23-2013, 05:46 PM

Liked: 14
post #39 of 55 Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Thanks for your input guys. I decided to make the jump to MKV. Currently using MakeMKV. I tried Handbrake, but didn't how to convert without compressing the file. I've finished playing around with Plex enough to have decided to use this as my media server. I am open to other media centers that will allow me to stream my MKVs outside of the house to my Android or Windows tablets/laptops. Does anyone know any solutions to batch convert ISOs to MKV?
post #40 of 55 Old 05-30-2013, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Does MKV now support forced subtitles? Any other negatives vs Blu-Ray ISOs?

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #41 of 55 Old 05-30-2013, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

"Does MKV now support forced subtitles?"
I can say that by default on Plex, forced subtitles are not supported. I haven't had the time with it enough to determine the work around. No other negatives at this point. I imagine any other negatives I find will be far outweighed by the benefits. So far Plex offers the same practical functionality as my previous mediaserver/frontends, but I am not too happy with the GUI (and simple end-user customization) or their lack of a formal skin gallery. The ability to effectively stream to my bluray mkvs online to a webbrowser (and look better than Netflix!) or my android tablets/phones and Win PCs/laptops, puts it over the top for WMC (my current frontend) and my old beloved Xlobby. Fortunately, I don't use my HTPC for managing my DVR/live TV, so I don't miss not having these features on Plex.
post #42 of 55 Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita View Post

Does MKV now support forced subtitles? Any other negatives vs Blu-Ray ISOs?

MKV supports forced subtitles, and for main movie playback MKV has no negatives compared to ISO.
Obviously the only negative with MKV compared to ISO is all you get is the main movie, all extras/menus/trailers etc are lost (which 99% of people don't want anyway)
post #43 of 55 Old 05-30-2013, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

You could also just rip out the forced sections and add it in that way.
post #44 of 55 Old 05-30-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

"You could also just rip out the forced sections and add it in that way."
Can you elaborate on this please?
post #45 of 55 Old 06-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjackson View Post

"You could also just rip out the forced sections and add it in that way."
Can you elaborate on this please?

Rip sub file with eac3to. Use suprip to save only forced subs. Mux the resulting file into your vid file.
post #46 of 55 Old 06-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Its not MKV the container which has to support 'forced' subtitles but the playback engine. XBMC certainly does, MediaBrowser and MediaPortal both do with the correct codecs installed (LAV is sufficient for both). No need in my experience to rip out anything and remux if your using MakeMKV and set it to rip the 'forced' subtitle (Just set all the subs and forced options for the language required). Once completed check that the 'forced' stream has been flagged as 'forced' using mediainfo. If not use mkvmerge (part of the mkvtoolnix package), open the header editor and change the header of the correct subtitle stream to 'forced' - takes about 20 seconds - no need to remux - takes about 10 - 15 minutes.
post #47 of 55 Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I will utilize Plex for streaming to my android devices in AND out of the home, but I just get bothered by Plex's Windows Media Center GUI. I am happy to see that I can still use WMC and MyMovies as I was before, but now even more seamlessly! I just had to install the Shark007 codecs and a win registry config file (I also had to uninstall Divxx as one of the codes would cause win explorer to crash when you tried to view the mkv files directly).
So now I will plan on a new PC to act as a transcoder (and server) as I believe that will help me with my on the fly encoding to my other devices. As well, I want to batch convert my DVD and BluRay ISOs to MKV. Has anyone tried DVDFab for batch conversion?
post #48 of 55 Old 06-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Its not MKV the container which has to support 'forced' subtitles but the playback engine. XBMC certainly does, MediaBrowser and MediaPortal both do with the correct codecs installed (LAV is sufficient for both). No need in my experience to rip out anything and remux if your using MakeMKV and set it to rip the 'forced' subtitle (Just set all the subs and forced options for the language required). Once completed check that the 'forced' stream has been flagged as 'forced' using mediainfo. If not use mkvmerge (part of the mkvtoolnix package), open the header editor and change the header of the correct subtitle stream to 'forced' - takes about 20 seconds - no need to remux - takes about 10 - 15 minutes.
The way I proposed to do it makes the forced subs into the only subs available so any player that supports subs will show it. The downside is that you will only have forced subs.
post #49 of 55 Old 06-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will utilize Plex for streaming to my android devices in AND out of the home, but I just get bothered by Plex's Windows Media Center GUI. I am happy to see that I can still use WMC and MyMovies as I was before, but now even more seamlessly! I just had to install the Shark007 codecs and a win registry config file (I also had to uninstall Divxx as one of the codes would cause win explorer to crash when you tried to view the mkv files directly).
So now I will plan on a new PC to act as a transcoder (and server) as I believe that will help me with my on the fly encoding to my other devices. As well, I want to batch convert my DVD and BluRay ISOs to MKV. Has anyone tried DVDFab for batch conversion?
When you say on the fly transcode, do you mean that the vid file will not be transcoded until a player tries to play it and this then transcoded file will be discarded after playing? If so, then I don't know what software/hardware does it.
post #50 of 55 Old 06-03-2013, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I believe that's what Plex does. It transcodes on the fly and sends the stream.
post #51 of 55 Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

The way I proposed to do it makes the forced subs into the only subs available so any player that supports subs will show it. The downside is that you will only have forced subs.

I use the list from the thread here on forced subtitles and then when I rip to MKV, I only keep the forced subtitles if they show up on the list (and none of the other subtitles). I'm using openELEC on a Raspberry Pi on one of my TV's and so far it works great, automatically playing subtitles if they exist. My main HTPC I used Assassin's guide to set up the subtitles. It works, but as set up, it is not always one, so you need to start the subs, even if they are forced. There's probably some way to make them always on, but I haven't messed with it yet.
post #52 of 55 Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I use the list from the thread here on forced subtitles and then when I rip to MKV, I only keep the forced subtitles if they show up on the list (and none of the other subtitles). I'm using openELEC on a Raspberry Pi on one of my TV's and so far it works great, automatically playing subtitles if they exist. My main HTPC I used Assassin's guide to set up the subtitles. It works, but as set up, it is not always one, so you need to start the subs, even if they are forced. There's probably some way to make them always on, but I haven't messed with it yet.
Can I ask if it works with both types of forced subs? One type is embedded into the regular subtitle file and the forced sections are just flagged as such and the other type is a file on its own.
post #53 of 55 Old 06-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Seems like it picks up both. I only have one film that has them as SRT files and IIRC it worked just fine displaying them.
post #54 of 55 Old 06-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I believe that's what Plex does. It transcodes on the fly and sends the stream.
Doesn't that give you on the bad-side, youtube'ish PQ? Does it passthrough the audio or transcodes that also?

Sorry for the questions, but I've never ran a stand alone before.
post #55 of 55 Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The picture quality is excellent. The resolution and bit rate is dependent on your upstream bandwidth out of your house. I think you need a powerful rig to transcode multiple movies. Don't know if it transcodes audio. Out of the house (remotely), the picture quality to me has been more pleasing than Netflix.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page