ATI HD3650 / WinXP x86 TV Display Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
not sure how to explain this...

Didn't have this problem before a format and reinstall of Windows.

I have an ATI HD3650 video card on a Windows XP 32bit system that I use to simply watch movies, etc.. on my 2nd display device (SHARP HDTV).

I have my primary monitor connected via vga and my tv (secondary) hooked up via HDMI.

I have no real problems except for:

When viewing movies or any video regardless of playback software and simply turning off the tv while video is playing (or not) OR just changing the channel on my tv, the primary monitor will "reset"... That is, it clicks off and on quickly. This never happened before. In the past, whenever I decided to shut off my tv after watching a movie via my pc, the primary monitor wouldn't do anything... and all was well.

Now.. it flicks off and then on again.

This wouldn't seem like a major issue... except...

When I go back to the pc input on my tv, I not only have no sound, but the pc gets very sluggish to the point where I need to restart my computer. Upon reboot all is well again.

To give you an example... I launch MPC and load a video to watch... I sit back on my couch and watch. Then, if I happen to hit a button on my remote that changes the channel, my primary (vga) monitor switches off and then on again. Of course, because I didn't purposely change the channel on my tv in the first place I immediately change the input back to the pc to continue watching whatever it is that I am watching... Except I can't. The sound is gone (I can easily fix this), but also, the video freezes. So I try to close MPC, but my computer then begins to freeze... so I need to reboot to simply get back to watching the movie or whatever it is I'm watching.

I mention that my primary monitor switches off and on again because it seems to be related. It's as if the displays are reinitializing or something. Even when i turn on or off the tv (secondary monitor), my main display will clock off and then on again.

What's going on here?

I seem to recall during the CCC setup, an option that reinitialized the displays, but I can't remember what that was or where to find the setting.

Can anyone steer me right? I just want to be able to change the channel on my tv every now and then even when I'm using it as a secondary monitor to watch movies, without having to stop the playback so i don't end up having to reboot my computer.

Frustrated!

Thank you for your time... I'm sorry that I can't seem to explain this issue better, but I hope you get what i'm saying.

thomseye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-23-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16

The HD3650 is an older card, not much capability and probably not all too capable of driving dual displays in clone mode much less different resolutions.  You didn't mention anything about how you wanted to behave, or how it once did.  I know I use a setup like yours except my PJ is set as my DEFAULT device and the VGA is what the HD6450 reverts back to when the PJ isn't on.  I also have my HDMI Audio as the DEFAULT audio device.  I do NOT use clone mode (both ON at the same time) It's set as a single monitor, and I have the "auto-detect" set to OFF (which is what you may be looking for). 

In my case when the AVR & PJ are ON the HD6450 provides signal and all is well.   When I switch the AVR and PJ off the video pops up on the VGA monitor -- it's blank while the PJ is getting the signal.  Notice I do NOT have to switch anything, it does this on its own.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page