No sound in WMC - works everywhere else! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-23-2013, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a real basic HTPC setup - i3-2100 powered HTPC running Windows 7 with no separate sound or graphics cards plugged directly into an LCD via HDMI (supplies both the video and sound). Everything has been working great for a year then all of a sudden today I run into this problem: sound works everywhere except in WMC. AFAIK nothing has changed with the system.

When I open WMC the speaker icon with volume level does appear in the upper right-hand corner, but there is no welcome sound, nor sounds when navigating through the menus. No sound with live TV or recorded videos either. However, audio when in the Hulu plug-in and when playing video in Mediabrowser works fine.

Outside of WMC all audio seems to work properly: like clicking through Windows menus, watching videos using WMP, videos on Youtube...etc.

It's got me stumped that the sound problem is isolated to WMC.

Anyone have any suggestions to point me in the right direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I'd just try re-running the WMC setup from scratch first and hope it fixes it. I ran into a problem where I have to set windows sound up for 7.1, then disable the two back surrounds. If I picked 5.1 for both Windows and WMC (which I have a 5.1 setup), I would get an instant crash in WMC live TV.

I've also had Windows forget its sound settings as well after an update, so check there as well. It might be stuck in stereo or something and causing a problem.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 02:07 AM

Liked: 12
It is a known 'bug'. Make sure you set 'sound' in Windows Control Panel to Stereo and set sound in WMC to 5.1 or 7.1. If you set sound in Windows to 5.1 you get this problem, although it is intermittent. You could try setting. You could try un-setting 'Exclusive' mode in Sound properties as a test but this will mean you will get no sound from MPC-HC.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post

It is a known 'bug'. Make sure you set 'sound' in Windows Control Panel to Stereo and set sound in WMC to 5.1 or 7.1. If you set sound in Windows to 5.1 you get this problem, although it is intermittent. You could try setting. You could try un-setting 'Exclusive' mode in Sound properties as a test but this will mean you will get no sound from MPC-HC.

But some guys on here just said in another thread WMC is a finished product and doesn't have any bugs worth fixing?
post #5 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
IDK but I have Windows Sound set to 7.1 and WMC set to 7.1 too and have no issues with playback of LiveTV.

post #6 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

IDK but I have Windows Sound set to 7.1 and WMC set to 7.1 too and have no issues with playback of LiveTV.

Apparently you are WMC's chosen son as you've seem to not have any common problems associated with using it.

Must be nice!
post #7 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

Quote:

Apparently you are WMC's chosen son as you've seem to not have any common problems associated with using it.

Must be nice!

I did have this problem previously but it went away and I really cannot tell you why but I think it may have to do with using a GT 430 GPU. One other thing, I have the Windows Sound set with both check boxes for exclusive control if that matters.

post #8 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 10:32 AM

Mine was running quite happily with W7 set to 7.1 and suddenly WMC lost sound on TV playback and came up with the dreaded "VIDEO ERROR - Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Please restart Media Center and/or restart the computer" message. It is actually an audio error and if you do a simple Google search on "WMC Video error" you will see the scale of the problem. The usual fix is to uncheck 'exclusive' in W7 sound setup but that stops external players from working in MB. I then remembered reading many MPC-HC setup guides saying to set W7 to stereo and once I did so TV sound returned. You should set the sound in WMC to 5.1/7.1 if you have it.

I am not sure what caused the problem but I think it happened after playing some .wmv files using WMP outside of the WMC environment. Happened when I was using a GT430 and now with a GT650ti so not GPU dependant.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post

Mine was running quite happily with W7 set to 7.1 and suddenly WMC lost sound on TV playback and came up with the dreaded "VIDEO ERROR - Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Please restart Media Center and/or restart the computer" message. It is actually an audio error and if you do a simple Google search on "WMC Video error" you will see the scale of the problem. The usual fix is to uncheck 'exclusive' in W7 sound setup but that stops external players from working in MB. I then remembered reading many MPC-HC setup guides saying to set W7 to stereo and once I did so TV sound returned. You should set the sound in WMC to 5.1/7.1 if you have it.

I am not sure what caused the problem but I think it happened after playing some .wmv files using WMP outside of the WMC environment. Happened when I was using a GT430 and now with a GT650ti so not GPU dependant.

Setting Windows Sound to Stereo has the ill effect of causing multi-channel LPCM mkv's to play in stereo when using MPC-HC though.

Keep in mind that this is not because WMC is flawed as it only appears when using add-in codecs which are not supported by MicroSoft DRM inside the Windows Media Foundation playback path.

post #10 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Setting Windows Sound to Stereo has the ill effect of causing multi-channel LPCM mkv's to play in stereo when using MPC-HC though.

Keep in mind that this is not because WMC is flawed as it only appears when using add-in codecs which are not supported by MicroSoft DRM inside the Windows Media Foundation playback path.

Not sure I'm following you...that error would appear for me on a fresh install while receiving a simple dolby digital audio signal from the HDHomerun Prime stream. No codec packs or anything of the sort installed.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

Not sure I'm following you...that error would appear for me on a fresh install while receiving a simple dolby digital audio signal from the HDHomerun Prime stream. No codec packs or anything of the sort installed.

WMC by itself can't play any sound without the audio drivers. This is where this getting complicated. I saw a lot more posts recently about WMC can't get exclusive mode on Intel IGC (where HDMI audio and video originates) and hence the problem. I personally encountered this once on one of my laptop and fortunately for me, I update the driver and all is well.

WMC certainly isn't perfect but it takes a whole system to make it work.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks everyone for the replies! I have fixed the problem, however I am not sure what fixed it besides tinkering with different iterations of the following two settings:

The two "Exclusive Mode" toggles in Control Panel - Sound:
- Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device
- Give exclusive mode applications priority

and

The Speaker settings in WMC:
- 2 speakers
- 5.1 surround speakers
- 7.1 surround speakers

My speaker configuration in Control Panel has always been set to "stereo" (in fact I have no other options).

Of note, WMC was not showing up as a source in the volume mixer. Now it does. It was almost like my HTPC forgot WMC was an application that used sound. Now it remembers it.

Also interesting is that now that the problem is fixed it doesn't matter what iteration of the above two settings I use - they all work fine. I currently have both Exclusive Mode toggles on and WMC set to 2 speakers.

Hopefully this information, helps others who may experience the problem.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-25-2013, 03:52 AM

Quote:

I always play MKV's in LPCM because I use Re-clock and never noticed that with W7 set to Stereo. My Onkyo receiver shows all channels being received and working.
Quote:

My problem happened with LAV filters installed and a DVB-S2 card.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-25-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't use reclock so maybe that explains the difference on decoding to LPCM and getting multi-channel sound?

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page