Anyone ever mine for bit coins ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 05-24-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Friend of mine keeps talking about it. Seems silly to me but honestly I don't know much about it.

Aware me please.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-24-2013, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Bitcoins....where to start. I've mined for them about 2yrs ago when the difficulty rate was low and I could get 2 coins a day but now unless your getting/have an ASIC miner GPU's and FPGA's really ain't worth it. Plus with the US government getting involved its getting harder to convert to actual currency. Yes its kinda silly to have a computer (or multiply) with 4 or 5 AMD video cards blowing breakers or people getting busted because the police think they have a marijuana growing operation when all the power is being used to mine.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #3 of 19 Old 05-24-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 128
The Gold rush, when it happened, was even more frenzied, except they used pickaxes instead of computers. The concept and the scarcity was/is the same. The difference is that the "gubmint" is a lot more powerful now vs then. In the last two or three decades we essentially gave them that power by using electronic money more than physical money. Now, they can track literally any financial transaction.

Gold or bitcoins both attempt to remove the powers that be from meddling with your "money" or more importantly, "store of wealth". Anytime the govt realizes that it may get sidelined from that purpose, it will go after that medium with a vengeance.

Just as Gordon Gecko once said, "Greed....is good", what he didn't say/imply was that the govt is greedier than everybody else.
post #4 of 19 Old 05-24-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

So what's a decent rig going to produce in actual money value ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 19 Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Mining with one's personal rig, no matter how powerful it may be, is not worth it anymore. CPU mining has been long dead. GPU mining has also died since. Don't bother unless you are looking to buy an ASIC.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-24-2013, 07:07 PM

Liked: 11
You've already missed the boat, period.

If you don't already, at this exact moment, have an ASIC miner purchased, or pre-ordered from either Avalon or Butterfly Labs, you don't have any chance of making any kind of money at all from Bitcoins. You might want to wait for the next huge Bitcoin crash and then buy a bunch of them and wait for them to increase in value again.

I pre-ordered a Jalapeno Bitcoin Miner from Butterfly Labs almost a year ago, and I finally received it in the mail a few days ago. Its hashing at about 5.35 Gigahashes per second, generating 0.2405 BTC (Bitcoins) a day. At the current exchange rate of $128.88, that works out to about $31.00 per day in revenue, less power costs of 14 cents a day. To generate 5.35 gigahashes, you would need to spend about $8000 for multiple AMD video cards, if you went with GPU mining. I didn't buy an FGPA miner, so I have no idea, but I know some of the best FPGA miners barely reach 1 gigahash per second.

I also started mining Bitcoins about 3 years ago, when you could do it with a CPU, but I had nothing to spend them on. Nowadays, I have many thousands of them... and still nothing to spend them on. I haven't decided if I should cash out while I can, or hold them to see where the market goes. The Jalapeno is the first bit of dedicated Bitcoin hardware I've ever purchased. I only mined coins when I wasn't playing games or using my computers. However, it only cost me $308.00 with shipping. At the current difficulty rate, I will "break even" in 11 days, should I choose to sell the 3 Bitcoins the machine generates by then.

At any rate, sorry buddy, you missed the train.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

Quote:

Mining with one's personal rig, no matter how powerful it may be, is not worth it anymore. CPU mining has been long dead. GPU mining has also died since. Don't bother unless you are looking to buy an ASIC.

WTF is ASIC ?

-

post #8 of 19 Old 05-24-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

How is a $308 machine so good and so cheap ?

Why can't that be replicated ?

-

post #9 of 19 Old 05-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
A simple Google search will yield all the answers you're looking for. This is far from the proper community to get information regarding BC from (though many members are familiar with it). Here's a solid article regarding the new mining hardware:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/16/3649784/bitcoin-mining-asics-block-reward-change
post #10 of 19 Old 05-24-2013, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ASICs are chips made specifically for mining bitcoins. So they are more efficient at doing what it does best than your average CPU or GPU.
post #11 of 19 Old 05-25-2013, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
ASIC = Application Specific Integrated Circuit, essentially software compiled directly to a dedicated chip, very efficient at one job and one job only.

And scl23enn4m3 is correct, bitcoins are about as far off topic from this forum's charter as one can get.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-25-2013, 10:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

This is actually an easy question to answer.

Development of an ASIC takes time. Anywhere from a few months to a year or longer in the case of major Bitcoin mining ASIC providers like Avalon and Butterfly Labs. Once the ASIC is developed, you need to have the chips produced. That also takes time, and no foundry is going to make your chips unless you're making in bulk. Minimum 10,000, but most foundries want 50,000+ to give your order any kind of serious consideration. This is the problem with Butterfly Labs right now. They've having chip supply issues (on top of power consumption issues). They have about 48,000 orders for their machines, which use multiple chips, but they apparently blew all their money they made with FGPA miners on other crap, so now they have to order 10,000 chips at a time and wait for their foundry to make them. At any rate, I digress.

Once your chip has been taped out and produced, then off they go to your assembly facility where you actually assemble them and the rest of the parts to produce your gadget, whatever it may be.

On top of this, you'd need knowledge of SHA-256 encryption, extensive knowledge of the Bitcoin source code, extensive knowledge of network protocols, and other areas of expertise to write yourself a Bitcoin mining program that could interface with your newly created ASIC chip as well.

To put it succinctly, all this device does is mine Bitcoins. That is all it will ever do. Unlike your CPU and GPU, it cannot be used to run Windows or play games or improve video output through processing. It is, quite literally, a Bitcoin miner, and that's all it is. That's why its cheap.
bulls likes this.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-25-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Strong post^

-

post #14 of 19 Old 05-25-2013, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you already have an AMD 5XXX-7XXX GPU in a system running 24/7, its silly to NOT mine bitcoins. They are free money, but it's a lot of hassle to get it running. A 7950 can earn you about $2 per day at current rates, assuming 180 watts of additional power draw and $0.16/KWH power cost. The quickest way to get running is bitminter. Underclock your VGA memory as low as it will go, and overclock the CPU core as high as you're comfortable (watch the temps, they get very, very hot!).

My bedroom HTPC box (QUIETLY) runs a 7770 at 1080mhz/500mem at about 1.15v. It generates about $1/day of revenue, and a little less than that in net profit.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
does it hog network ? or its all by processing power?
post #16 of 19 Old 05-25-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Processing power.
post #17 of 19 Old 05-25-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Why is someone willing to pay for the processing ? Why are you rewarded ?

-

post #18 of 19 Old 09-23-2014, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 316
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...y-labs-paypal/

Looks like some theories about what butterfly labs was doing were correct
post #19 of 19 Old 09-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
if you dont want to invest in hardware, you could always hash by hand:

http://www.righto.com/2014/09/mining...and-paper.html

also a somewhat easy to understand explanation on how mining actually works.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page