Norco RPC-450TH - built in fan replacement? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-24-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Has anyone replaced the fans in the drive bays of the Norco RPC-450TH? They are horribly loud and I would like to put in much quieter ones. You can see the case here:

http://www.norcotek.com/RPC-450TH.php

Here is the drive cage:

I love EVERYTHING about this case (easy to work in, the mobo standoff screws area already screwed into the case, lots of wire running spaces) except the two loud fans that cool the HDDs. I added two very quite 80mm fans to the back of the case to help with airflow. If no one has replaced the drive cage fans, I will take one of the drive cages apart myself for a look see...was hoping to learn from the work of others first, though.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 593
I did my Norco 4220. 80mm and 120mm.

There's pictures in my server build thread.

I used the Silent X series fans because they are pretty cheap and the bearings are really quiet. Nexus is good choice too.

The Silient x plastic housing was identical to the OEM Norco ones. The mFG must be the same.

Of coarse the silent x spinning slower is much quieter.

My Norco 4220 is ultra silent

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438027/planning-to-rebuild-my-20tb-whs-flexraid-server-information-requested/900_50

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Process to swap out fans looks pretty easy. Not much different than mine smile.gif

These are cheap and really quiet :

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemNumber=N82E16835233083

5.99$

They OEM for Norco so the fit is perfect. The difference is the rpm and bearings.

I used both 80mm and 120mm with great success in two builds.

-

post #5 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Once I am done updating my disparity raid (I moved 1.5 TB off a 2 TB drive and onto various 4TB drives and am removing that one drive for now - so my RAID 4 needed to be updated), I am going to tear one apart. I will post pictures.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is it going to be black and gold ?

Lol.

-

post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Is it going to be black and gold ?

Lol.

Well....as a matter of fact, yes! LOL I did the replacement, it was very easy. I took pics, so if anyone else wants to do this, no need to feel any trepidation in doing so.

So once again, here is the starting image:

Power down the machine and unplug the power and SATA cables. Remove these screws and then slide out the drive bay. You do not have to remove the HDDs from it.

Remove the four screws from the side with all the connectors on it and the cover with fan comes right off - be careful as the fan power cable is VERY VERY VERY short.

Here is the fan cable and connector - it is a standard 3 pin connector for a standard sized 80mm fan.

Here is the old fan info:

Here is the new fan - yes, it IS Steelers Black and Gold! smile.gif

Here it is, installed. Take note that there is a nice area for the much longer (standard length) power cord for the new fan to be curled up into. Be careful with how you route the power cable out the slot meant for it to ensure you do not cover the screw hole. The screws are very small and they screw into thin pillars that slide into the normal screw holes in the fan. I used a small regular screwdriver to slowly pry out the old fan since it is a tight rit. Putting the new fan in was easy.

And here it is, all reassembled. BLACK AND GOLD!!!

The new fans push about half the amount of air as the old fans, but it is still a lot of air. I also can barely hear them outside the case, whereas the original fans reminded me of leaf blowers. Now I just have to buy two new 80mm fans for the back of the case - which is where I took these from. smile.gif
post #8 of 8 Old 05-26-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice work. !

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page