Audio output selection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have an HTPC connected to my receiver via HDMI.

My receiver has two HDMI outputs, one to my projector, the other to the TV.

When watching a movie on my projector, I use the receiver to process and amplify the audio.

Because my TV is at a 90* angle to the projector, I'm not using my HT speakers for the audio. If I'm watching a movie on the TV, I'm usually doing something else at my desk using the movie as background entertainment. In fact, I have the receiver off when I watch the TV (Standby power for the HDMI switching in the receiver).

Hopefully that's clear so far.

When I watch the projector, the receiver decodes and amplifies the audio. When watching the TV, the receiver ignores the audio and sends it to the TV for decoding and amplification through the built in speakers.

Because most of my movie rips are MKVs with DTS or DTS-HD MA audio, the TV obviously doesn't have a decoder for this and as such I get no sound.

The HTPC doesn't know what is decoding the sound, just that it bitstreams the audio and "something else" decodes it. What's the best way to set it up so I can switch to having the HTPC decoding it, downmix to 2ch and send it out in a format friendly for the TV?

Hope that's clear enough.

Thanks smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Perhaps set the htpc to output pcm instead of bitsream which will convert dts to pcm which tv will understand.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well that's the ultimate goal. The $64,000 question is how to either a) get it to change the output automatically based on what display device is active or b) have an easy method of selecting it quickly, preferably from within the WMC interface.

Having to pull out the keyboard and muck with codec settings takes the fun out of the experience of having an HTPC smile.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can't be the only one who needs a solution to this?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-30-2013, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I use autohotkey to switch between audio outputs on my HTPC. I have two different sources (inside, 5.1 audio and 2 channel stereo for my deck speakers) that I switch between when listening to music. Not sure if this is relevant to your situation, but it might be worth a look. I even have a button assigned on my harmony remote that executes the script.

http://afteralpha.blogspot.com/2013/03/switch-audio-devices-easily-with.html
post #6 of 7 Old 05-30-2013, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks but upon quick glance it looks like that's for selecting a different physical output. I need to change the output format on one HDMI output.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

Thanks but upon quick glance it looks like that's for selecting a different physical output. I need to change the output format on one HDMI output.

I still think it might be worth your while to post your request on the Autohotkey forum There's a very good chance that either someone's done what you're trying to do, or that you'll come across somebody who knows how to do it.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page