Not sure what software to use - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-26-2013, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently just bought a bluray writer drive and got it installed in my desktop. I want to play blurays on it (store bought retail ones), and I am not sure which is the best player right now. I've heard of a few and it seems like these are the better choices I have: Arcsoft's TotalMedia Theatre 6, and CyberLink's PowerDVD Ultra 13. Which is the best for just straightfoward viewing on my computer like a physical bluray player? It preferably can play anything thrown at it but doesn't have to have those extra features like YouTube support or Media Management or anything like that. Something powerful and simple like VLC. I would appreciate your advices in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-26-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
PC Mag just posted a review on TMT6 - I've been using version 5 for a while. Check the TMT threads here on AVS.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2419468,00.asp

PowerDVD seems laden with bloatware:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385873,00.asp
post #3 of 5 Old 05-26-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
PowerDVD is not something I recommend. I struggled for 2 weeks trying to get it stable and perform as advertised with no luck. It's the only program I've experienced for a very long time that locks up frequently in my high end systems. Further, trying to take advantage of their 30 day refund required multiple steps.

Give MPC-HC a try.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-26-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the help guys. In the time passed since my last post I have read a lot of forum posts, and I have come to the conclusion that for the current versions, it is better to get TMT6, despite the fact that it might cause slower boot up times on a SSD, and of course less of a bloatware. Appreciate it!
post #5 of 5 Old 05-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It's not free, but will work to watch the movie, I personally use AnyDVD, K-Lite codecs, and Media Player Classic. I don't use the PC often to watch a blu ray movie disc, but it works well to watch movies.

Here is video I did when I first got the external slim BR burner. The audio and video is out of sync because of the recording device, not the actual playback.

I've read you can setup MPC to do HD audio, but I don't know much on it. There is no blu ray menu and blu ray live support.

I would assume you can probably use VLC instead of MPC too. You might be able to without AnyDVD HD.

For someone who plans to use watch blu ray disc on the PC more than occasionally, this may be a good option because, I've read, that at some point, the blu ray suites will require a paid upgrade in order to keep playing the discs. And I believe AnyDVD has returned the lifetime subscription. Plus, using AnyDVD HD will allow you to rip any disc to your favorite format or container such as mkv, and then you can keep your disc pristine, and use practically any media player you like or use something like Plex, XBMC or Media Browser and have your own video on demand service.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page