post #32 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Rule #1: The moderator is always right.
Rule #2: If the moderator is wrong, see rule #1.

Nice

Been reading these forums since I heard XBMC supported HD audio with eden release patch, and I never knew they had a moderator. Does AVS have mods for each subforum, or just a handful like Bob who take care of the whole show? In many other forums an "all subs listing" typically indicates the moderator of each sub who may or may not receive PMs (some just reply to flags and don't receive PMs)

Interestingly, it looks like this forum has been around longer than I knew what HTPC stood for, or had the tech to use as such. At some point there must have been a lot of OS bashing, so they split those off

In the past year (forgive me for not putting tons of links) there have been several threads that seemed to get off topic worse than the echo thread related to:
  • unraid / flexraid
  • green drive performance
  • AMD / Intel
  • WMC and WHS / alternatives

For the most part, it seems like several in the community start down the path of "highlighting" what they think a novice might miss related to any of the caveats in the above list. It will continue without more warnings, infractions, thread-locks, but at the same time some community updated knowledge base links could end several repetitive discussion/bashing threads by pointing anyone confused to the full summary of either/or
post #33 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
CETON......give us something to talk about....please
post #34 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 04:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post

It was time to close that thread IMO. It can still be searched later if needed.

Motz posted over at the TGB again that they're still hard at work on the Android and working towards a beta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

LOL, just like the current beta that is the Echo without Android.

Agreed ... what exactly did "working towards a beta" mean to Ceton the first time around?! I didn't even participate in the "exclusive" beta program, but I was invited in like everyone else when I purchased my Echo. And I'm still here in the beta program, whether someone wants to call it that or not.
post #35 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

the official support site for the echo is http://cetoncorp.com/product-support/ not TGB.
Quite right. I meant to say the official Echo discussion thread moderated by Ceton is over at TGB. Ceton abandoned the discussion forums on their site shortly after the beta program ended and started a new one for bug reports and product support.
post #36 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th-horseman View Post

Nice

Been reading these forums since I heard XBMC supported HD audio with eden release patch, and I never knew they had a moderator. Does AVS have mods for each subforum, or just a handful like Bob who take care of the whole show? In many other forums an "all subs listing" typically indicates the moderator of each sub who may or may not receive PMs (some just reply to flags and don't receive PMs)
As with any forum, there are the Admins who have full control, then there are Mods who can moderate one, many or all forums. I believe the old forum software allowed you to view the list of mods but I don't remember for sure. Bob (a pretty good guy) comes out of the shadows once in a great while to lay down the law. biggrin.gif He's not the only mod for this forum though.

Honestly, if you look at some of the other forums here on AVS, we get away with quite a bit here (in the HTPC section) that would never fly on the rest of the site. I think I've only seen 3-4 threads closed in the time I've been a member.
post #37 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 07:09 PM

Liked: 168
Why don't we all start arguing about our manhoods (sorry, any ladies on the thread)...

Who'd care to start?
post #38 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 07:26 PM

Liked: 147
I do not own a large, expensive sportscar...so you know what that says about me. smile.gif
post #39 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
I have 2 small ones. Not sure I want to know what that says about me biggrin.gif

post #40 of 47 Old 06-05-2013, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Anyone experience this on their Echos?

TV initially plays fine; but changing zoom on currently playing TV, the video starts to glitch and will continue until TV is stopped. Tested on 2 different sets.
post #41 of 47 Old 06-05-2013, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes. All in all, I'm pretty disappointed with the echo. I was part of the beta, and it just didn't bake out right.. since you can't access Netflix (unless someone knows something I don't) and it's media center client is pretty slow and doesn't correctly render all my files, those were strikes against it. But now, I have no problem finding XBOX360s locally for less than $100, or you can go to GameStop and get them for $119.. both of which are less than the Echo.

The thing I liked about the echo was small, no noise.. but the downsides are too significant. It would need to drop drastically in price at this point
post #42 of 47 Old 06-06-2013, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes that is exactly one of the issues I experienced in the echos that I had. It happened on both. I noticed it mainly when I watched my hockey team on NBC Sports Network (Former Versus) because I didn't have the HD version of that channel but it was broadcast on the SD channel in a letterboxed 4x3 format so I zoomed it in. It would pause and jerk and do what you see in the video until I restarted or sometimes a skip fwd or back would do it.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #43 of 47 Old 06-06-2013, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmservo View Post

But now, I have no problem finding XBOX360s locally for less than $100, or you can go to GameStop and get them for $119.. both of which are less than the Echo.

Don't forget the $30 a year (or whatever it is now) MS ransom required to keep using the media features of the XBOX360.
post #44 of 47 Old 06-06-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

Don't forget the $30 a year (or whatever it is now) MS ransom required to keep using the media features of the XBOX360.
Sort of. You don't need Xbox Live to use Xbox as a WMC extender, but you do need it for Netflix and the like. They will require Live for the TV features on the new Xbox One, not sure about extender functionality, assuming it will still exist. I've used Xbox extenders for a while now and never have and never will pay for Xbox Live.
post #45 of 47 Old 06-06-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

I picked up a few XBOX 360's on Craiglslist for $20. There is no need for Live Gold, you just have to create a FREE Live account do download the updates to make it play XVID, DIVX, and MKV's. TV feature works without the update.

Either way, you only need a FREE Live account to get the updates.

Like poster above said, you only need paid Live Gold, if you want to use Netflix on the XBOX, and then you have to pay for NEtflix on top of the Gold, too.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #46 of 47 Old 06-06-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 151
It's more than just Netflix, it's pretty much any of the streaming apps - Netflix, Xfinity/Verizon, HBO, ESPN, Hulu, etc. Have to get Gold to use any of them.
post #47 of 47 Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

It's more than just Netflix, it's pretty much any of the streaming apps - Netflix, Xfinity/Verizon, HBO, ESPN, Hulu, etc. Have to get Gold to use any of them.

For the price of live gold per year you are almost better off buying a cheap bluray player or stb like the roku for all of your internet streaming needs.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page