What the heck happened to the Echo thread? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What was the moderator thinking in closing the Echo thread? The product is still in beta, this was one of two places we could rarely get info... the other being updated rarely, and they close it? WTF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 05-28-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Perplexing if true.

Just another blank signature.
post #3 of 47 Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 PM

Liked: 12
Agreed. I can't help but wonder if Ceton asked them to close it, too. Taking away the public spaces for us to discuss how unfinished the product is, is easier than actually finishing the product.
post #4 of 47 Old 05-28-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
There was some back and forth around state of WMC from what I can tell. A moderator posted a msg about the thread running its course and shut it down. I don't believe Ceton had a say.

In search of video bliss...
post #5 of 47 Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Nope, Ceton had nothing to do with it. Just a lot of bickering and OT stuff ruined it. Feel free to start a new one or head over to thegreenbutton.
post #6 of 47 Old 05-28-2013, 09:10 PM

Liked: 12
But why close the thread though? It had information in it, that might be useful to someone else in the future ... enough that they might like to reply and quote from it. Sure things were way off topic from time to time, but I'd argue Ceton's pace with this product is the root cause of that (look at the discussion around firmware updates, back on track!). I just don't get the reasoning of "if you can't stay on topic in this thread, nobody can!".
post #7 of 47 Old 05-28-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
There was a f/w update?

I'm thinking that it was pretty LAME to close the thread. There's stickies that see less action and have run their course but there they are..
dqtmg2 likes this.

post #8 of 47 Old 05-28-2013, 10:06 PM

Liked: 20
I don't know... the thread was basically a joke with the lack of activity around the Echo. The thread hasn't actually been about the Echo for months. I suppose the mods could have tried to ruthlessly policed the off-topic posts, but that could have created a lot of work for them. In the meantime, there were probably a bunch of people subscribed to the thread hopeful that they'd hear something about the Echo but were instead treated to a constant stream of off-topic posts.

Someone that actually has an Echo should start a thread on firmware releases, and if people actually want to continue the discussion that was recently going on in the Echo thread they can start a thread on the future of WMC.
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #9 of 47 Old 05-28-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

There was a f/w update?

I'm thinking that it was pretty LAME to close the thread. There's stickies that see less action and have run their course but there they are..

True. There's lots of much better threads not stickied than the current crap stickies

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10 of 47 Old 05-28-2013, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

There was a f/w update?

It had really turned into a giant mess, with almost no direct relation to the Echo anymore. Most of the last few dozens pages could have been handled in entirely separate threads or PMs. When there's an actual update to the Echo, I've no doubt we'll have a good discussion about it again, but I'm not really surprised the moderator shut it down. It's one thing to go off-topic, but another thing entirely to have it turn into a giant argument over the definition of "abandoned" or its various synonyms.
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #11 of 47 Old 05-28-2013, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

It had really turned into a giant mess, with almost no direct relation to the Echo anymore. Most of the last few dozens pages could have been handled in entirely separate threads or PMs. When there's an actual update to the Echo, I've no doubt we'll have a good discussion about it again, but I'm not really surprised the moderator shut it down. It's one thing to go off-topic, but another thing entirely to have it turn into a giant argument over the definition of "abandoned" or its various synonyms.

Well it is hardly surprising that abandonment became an emotionally charged subject. I am sure many who either hitched their wagons to the Echo and Ceton or were waiting along time to safely jump were feeling abandoned. Even if the hardware ever really materialized in a generally useful form how long was that going to be good considering in general Microsoft more than circumspect positioning, not providing anything positive in the way of a roadmap even if it is to end of life on WMC, people would naturally have abandonment issues, how can they not?

Ceton won't talk and what MS has said gives little confidence that peoples investments are protected and they should feel good about hanging in there and investing more. Bickering is a staple when people feel insecure and possibly mislead if not downright conned. Even if Ceton is doing everything to fix all the issues their products throw at users, they are beyond slow.. my PCIe 4 is still pretty much a dog that gives me heartaches every few days.

So one starts to look elsewhere, JRiver, Silicon Dust.... maybe they don't have things worked out either but it is pretty easy to see their effort and some results. With Ceton you just get another troubled product from time to time. And abandonment goes full circle. I know my brother has a new PCIe Ceton that support provided him after an unreal experience. It is on the shelf. He just does not have the heart to add it back into service. He is seriously looking at Comcast X1.

Just another blank signature.
post #12 of 47 Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 425
I'll say the same thing I said in the other thread before it got closed...

When there is something worth talking about regarding the Echo, we should start an Echo Owners thread. The old one started before the Echo was ever released and started with a tone of speculation from the start.

An Owner Thread can serve to report new firmware, bugs, solutions and anything else useful to Echo Owners. I suspect the Ceton folks would be much more likely to participate in such a thread instead of one that is just full of people complaining and speculating.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #13 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I personally think we should start contemplating whether AVS has "abandoned" the original thread! tongue.gif
khubo likes this.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #14 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Considering that anything of value rarely got posted in a thread with over 7,000 posts, I'd say it had definitely run its course. Officially, it is a released product and no longer in beta. Those of us that were in the beta program certainly know otherwise. The official support site for the Echo is over at The Green Button so that's where anyone should go if they want to continue the discussion (or keep beating the dead horse, as it were wink.gif ).
post #15 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Considering that anything of value rarely got posted in a thread with over 7,000 posts, I'd say it had definitely run its course. Officially, it is a released product and no longer in beta. Those of us that were in the beta program certainly know otherwise. The official support site for the Echo is over at The Green Button so that's where anyone should go if they want to continue the discussion (or keep beating the dead horse, as it were wink.gif ).

the official support site for the echo is http://cetoncorp.com/product-support/ not TGB.

In search of video bliss...
post #16 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 07:51 AM

Liked: 169
I suppose you could say there is no Echo in here...
post #17 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

There was a f/w update?

Maybe make an official Echo Installation Guide and post a link to your PayPal account and it will get stickied.

post #18 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It was time to close that thread IMO. It can still be searched later if needed.

Motz posted over at the TGB again that they're still hard at work on the Android and working towards a beta.
post #19 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

I personally think we should start contemplating whether AVS has "abandoned" the original thread! tongue.gif

We might even say that they "killed" it!! biggrin.gif

OK, OK, it's killed dead but preserved in wax for people to look at, like Lenin's body...
post #20 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

An alternative way for a mod to handle the mess might have been to separate out the WMC argument into a new thread, or maybe even grafting it onto the ongoing 7MC thread. (I've seen in other forums where a mod will split a thread because one aspect of it has gone OT.) The people involved weren't really talking about the Echo anymore, so their discussion could have been excised without much pain to the main Echo thread.
post #21 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No what should of happened is a warning to stay on topic like any normal reasonable person would of done....

-RobNY
post #22 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNY View Post

No what should of happened is a warning to stay on topic like any normal reasonable person would of done....

-RobNY

Yeah, but at least now we have something new to complain about biggrin.gif

xnappo
post #23 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

-RobNY

They did. On more than one occasion iirc. It didn't seem to work.

The thread did seem to improve in overall demeanor as the "The Echo is the greatest ever!" crown and the "The Echo punched my grandma and kicked my puppy!" crowd seemed to find some middle ground (and agree to disagree) a few weeks ago and there was some interesting (but admittedly off-topic) discussion.

But I'm sure once there is some actual news on the Echo, someone will start a new Echo Owners thread and all will be right with the world. Maybe if we're lucky they'll even include *OFFICIAL* in the thread title.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #24 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post

It was time to close that thread IMO. It can still be searched later if needed.

Motz posted over at the TGB again that they're still hard at work on the Android and working towards a beta.

LOL, just like the current beta that is the Echo without Android.
post #25 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 265
Quote:

Agreed, I thought the lock was heavy-handed but you can't disagree with Bob's statement that nothing new was being added to the thread, and hadn't been for some time. Which is entirely due to Ceton's silence and lack of meaningful updates of course.
post #26 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I know it's old, but I couldn't help myself.

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3umpkl/

post #27 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 11:47 AM

Liked: 169
^there is a meme that describes you talking about people talking too smile.gif
post #28 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Rule #1: The moderator is always right.
Rule #2: If the moderator is wrong, see rule #1.
post #29 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 PM

Liked: 150
Just start a new Official Echo Owners' Thread and make the first post full of the good stuff from the other thread. It is all still there so you can copy and paste away. Then report anyone who starts posting off topic posts or straight up lies, that will help keep it clean and about the Echo.
post #30 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
^^^ Pot, meet kettle.

biggrin.gif

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page