WMC guide data - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 05-31-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 126
My guide runs out at 8:00PM on June 2 for my cable channels. The guide data for my local channels goes to 8:00PM on June 12th. I've never seen the data run out at different times for different channels. Has anyone else seen this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-31-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I didn't know they ran out :worried: Just when everything starts working perfectly, first MakeMKV troubles and now this. Oy!

post #3 of 29 Old 05-31-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I have seen it before, but usually its just within a few hours. Did you try a force update?

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #4 of 29 Old 05-31-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

I have seen it before, but usually its just within a few hours. Did you try a force update?
I've tried a couple of times over the past few days.
post #5 of 29 Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 PM

Liked: 12
have you looked in event viewer? try rerunning TV setup and enter your zip. something may have changed with your headend id. this happened to me and running the setup fixed my issue.
Illuminated likes this.
post #6 of 29 Old 05-31-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I'll echo what drtdiver said. The last (and only) time I had any guide data issues was a year or so ago and I tried everything under the sun to fix it. The only thing that ended up getting it done was rerunning the tuner setup again. I know it can be a pain (especially if you also have OTA tuners and/or any customization to the guide) but it did the trick for me too.

If I had a signature, this is where it would be.
post #7 of 29 Old 06-01-2013, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtdiver View Post

have you looked in event viewer? try rerunning TV setup and enter your zip. something may have changed with your headend id. this happened to me and running the setup fixed my issue.

I've only been at this for about 2 months or so, but the one time I had problems with guide accuracy setup made no difference, but changing my zip code altogether resolved my issues.

post #8 of 29 Old 06-01-2013, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It looks like I'll have to run the setup again. I found 45 MCUpdate errors in in Event Viewer since 5/17/2013. Most of them are "Failed to retrieve EpgListings (Error: HeadendId 50064853 is invalid.)" with a few "Failed to retrieve Directory (Error: The request failed with HTTP status 403: Forbidden.)" and "Failed to retrieve EpgListings (Error: The request failed with HTTP status 403: Forbidden.)"

I have a Hauppauge 2250, a Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe, and a HDHR Prime for a total of 9 tuners (all on FiOS). The only channels that are getting new guide data are the channels the Hauppauge has tuners assigned to. I use Guide Tool so disabling the unwanted channels from my guide shouldn't take too long. I'm not looking forward to manually setting the tuner priorities for each channel again. That's gong to take about 10,000? button presses. I better put fresh batteries in my remote before tackling that job.
Nethawk likes this.
post #9 of 29 Old 06-01-2013, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ran the setup again and changed my zip code. I have all of the guide data again but WMC wouldn't let me use my HDHR Prime. It said my OS (Win7) would only allow 4 CableCARD tuners so it picked the Ceton. The InfiniTV software was supposed to remove the 4 tuner limit, and it did work like that in the past. I guess I have to re-install the InfiniTV software again?
post #10 of 29 Old 06-01-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 255
The last time I did a reinstall, the Ceton software did not remove the 4 tuner limit. Wasn't a big deal as I had previously purchased Tuner Salad. Not sure what to tell you about that though. Might post in one of the InfiniTV threads and see if one of the Ceton guys can shed some light on that.

If I had a signature, this is where it would be.
post #11 of 29 Old 06-01-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

Might post in one of the InfiniTV threads and see if one of the Ceton guys can shed some light on that.

OK, I put it in the InfiniTV 4 thread here.
post #12 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

My guide runs out at 8:00PM on June 2 for my cable channels.

I just checked WMC to see what was on tonight ... no guide info after 8PM. Have tried to manually update numerous times. It downloads everything fine, then states there were 'Errors during last update. Will retry at ...' 10 hours later.

I too have Ceton with FIOS
post #13 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ran the setup again and changed my zip code to the next town over. That fixed my guide data problem but I lost the ability to use more than 4 CableCARD tuners in the process.
post #14 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 07:34 AM

I thought it may be a firmware problem with Ceton. So, I went into WMC to update it manually ... and I no longer have the Ceton icon in my WMC?!?! I am pretty sure it was under the Extras tab.

I doubt it is a zip code issue ... but does look like I will have to run Set Up again, and then reprogram all my recording settings : (

EDIT: I think it downloads a couple weeks of data ... so, I am guessing what is causing this, happened a couple weeks ago?
post #15 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't lose my recording schedule but I lost the changes I made to the channel lineup in the guide. I like to remove the channels that I can't get as well as the SD channels that have HD duplicates. I also remove all of the channels above 1000 except for some of the Music Choice channels.

Guide Tool is very handy for turning channels on and off.
post #16 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:

I ran the setup again ....

BTW ...did you lose the ability to view your previously recorded programs when you did this?

Last time I re-ran Set Up ... all my recorded shows were saved, but when I tried to open them, I got an error message saying they can only be viewed on the computer they were originally recorded on. I had to delete them all : (
post #17 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf10014 View Post

I thought it may be a firmware problem with Ceton. So, I went into WMC to update it manually ... and I no longer have the Ceton icon in my WMC?!?! I am pretty sure it was under the Extras tab.
Two of my three Echos lost their settings plugin in the Extras library about a month ago. I still don't know what happened there or how to get it back.
post #18 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf10014 View Post

BTW ...did you lose the ability to view your previously recorded programs when you did this?

Last time I re-ran Set Up ... all my recorded shows were saved, but when I tried to open them, I got an error message saying they can only be viewed on the computer they were originally recorded on. I had to delete them all : (
All of my copy once recordings are still playable. I didn't re-install Windows, I just ran the WMC tuner setup.
post #19 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 09:27 AM

Liked: 15
There is a guide data hotfix from Microsoft. Applies to win7 and win8.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2746119
post #20 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo0sic View Post

There is a guide data hotfix from Microsoft. Applies to win7 and win8.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2746119

Thanks for the link ... but it is for users who "cannot watch or record TV shows". I have no problem with my reception, or recording.
post #21 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:

All of my copy once recordings are still playable. I didn't re-install Windows, I just ran the WMC tuner setup.

I have Win8. I Searched my computer for Ceton, and found the original program. It was still installed and firmware was up to date.

Then I noticed this sentence, under the Ceton program firmware Update section ... "NOTE: You may need to go through Media Center TV Setup again after updating the firmware on your InfiniTV."

I ran through the Setup ... the Guide is up to date, and everything is fine!!! (did not change my zip code)

I bet we got an automatic update within the last couple weeks.

Thanks for the help ...
post #22 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
My guide ran out at 8 pm last night too. I checked the log, and it is the same "headend Id xxxxx" invalid" But the OTA guide was fully functional.

I ran the TV set up again, and it fixed it.

Looking at the current headend it is different from earlier one.

It appears that Microsoft may have changed the headend ID's or Zap2It or Verizon.... Based on the fact that OTA guide was still fully functional, I put the blame on Verizon FiOS.

OTA channels had guide going past 8 pm last night. I didn't check how far out, though...

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #23 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

My guide runs out at 8:00PM on June 2 for my cable channels. The guide data for my local channels goes to 8:00PM on June 12th. I've never seen the data run out at different times for different channels. Has anyone else seen this?

I'm seeing it (Verizon FIOS / upstate NY). No data for anything but local channels. I haven't checked the log, but I'm gonna go ahead and re-run setup. These instances, by the way, are tailor made for guide tool. Especially if you have a heavily customized guide like I do.
post #24 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Re-running tuner setup resolved the problem for me. I'm thankful that there's an easy solution here, but I'd still like to know what the underlying cause was.
post #25 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

Re-running tuner setup resolved the problem for me. I'm thankful that there's an easy solution here, but I'd still like to know what the underlying cause was.

Probably Verizon switching the headend.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #26 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 PM

My guide lost all but the locals a few days ago, it seemed. I went looking and found the error message in the event log and pasted the "headendid is invalid" message from Window event log into google and it brings this thread up at the top of the list. I read through this thread, saw that I had exactly the same thing you guys did and re-ran my tuner setup and now my guide is working fine, like it has for the last year plus.

I did miss a couple days of programs because of this. Verizon has no problem sending emails to me when they are taking channels away to "provide the best customer experience" but I guess getting some kind of notification from them about this kind of stuff is expecting way too much.

Thanks everyone.
post #27 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated View Post

My guide lost all but the locals a few days ago, it seemed. I went looking and found the error message in the event log and pasted the "headendid is invalid" message from Window event log into google and it brings this thread up at the top of the list. I read through this thread, saw that I had exactly the same thing you guys did and re-ran my tuner setup and now my guide is working fine, like it has for the last year plus.

I did miss a couple days of programs because of this. Verizon has no problem sending emails to me when they are taking channels away to "provide the best customer experience" but I guess getting some kind of notification from them about this kind of stuff is expecting way too much.

Thanks everyone.

Every time I have had guide issues if running the option to update the guide did not wok, then running TV Signal Setup again, did.

Just another blank signature.
post #28 of 29 Old 06-05-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
It would appear that Verizon changed the provider names across the board in most, if not all, locations they serve. I had guide data for my locals, but all of the FIOS channels wouldn't update no matter how many times I tried to force it manually. I checked the Green Button and found that others were having the same issue. The solution was to rerun the TV signal setup in WMC. I did this and discovered that the name of my provider had changed in the list. It used to say "Heritage Harbor/ Anne Arundel Howard Verizon FIOS" or something to that effect. It now shows up as "Catonsville/Anne Arundel Howard Verizon FIOS." The names may not be exact as I'm doing this from memory, but you get the gist of what I'm saying. WMC was looking for guide data under the old provider when it should have been looking for the new name. Rerunning setup pointed WMC to the new name so now it can update the guide data. Problem solved. biggrin.gif
post #29 of 29 Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 AM

Had the same issue as well.... It failed to download and gave me an error message telling me to check log by right clicking on tray icon. I right clicked and found no options to see the log. After a lot of frustration I finally ran the tuner setup again and that fixed the problem. I am running Win 7 and use FIOS as my provider.

ASUS Formula III Rampage MB
Intel I7 960 CPU ATI 5850
12GB RAM 58TB Storage
Windows 7 Ultra 64 Bit
Arcsoft TMT5, Ceton Infinity4
Onkyo 5008 to Samsung HL67A750
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page