Ceton Echo and H.264 video frustration - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 78 Old 06-08-2013, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Why would the same audio and video streams work in MKV, but not in MP4/M4V container? I'm playing around with my collection of Blu-ray rips compressed with Handbrake and the container makes all the difference between smooth and choppy playback.

Is there a tool that can batch remux MP4 to MKV? At this point, I can't continue to wait for Ceton to fix the problem. Over three months has passed, and re-rip and encode would have taken less time for my entire library.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 06-08-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

Is there a tool that can batch remux MP4 to MKV?
Can't you do that with Handbrake?
post #63 of 78 Old 06-08-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Can't you do that with Handbrake?

Handbrake can't remux video, it can only re-encode. (inherent loss of quality and tediously time consuming)

MKVToolnix (specifically, MKVMerge) can remux everything to MKV, and it does have a work queue, but I don't think you can turn it loose on a set of (sub)folders and let it do its thing, you'll have to open each MP4 individually and add it to the queue (please correct me if I'm wrong about that anyone)

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #64 of 78 Old 06-08-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Metafox, which uses Mkvtoolnix as its backend, can batch convert many files to MKV. It is capable of processing an entire folder as long as you have the hdd space for the job. It needs no user setup or interaction. It simply extracts the streams from one container and places them into an MKV. To use it, just drag n drop that folder (or a single file) to the desktop icon after installation. It can be downloaded from my Tools page.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #65 of 78 Old 06-08-2013, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. I tried MKVtoolnix for a few 1080p H.264 M4V originally encoded with Handbrake 0.99. The conversion was hassle free, although the queue on OSX seems to act strange. The MKV created played on the Echo, but like the source M4V files these are choppy. It's more like dropped frames than severe stutter. Go back to the Handbrake MKVs and it looks like the problem was there two, I just didn't watch long enough. Each movie encode has varying degree of stutter. It's subtle enough that my wife doesn't notice. Unfortunately that means no budget approval for an ATV3 or streaming Blu-ray player. Sometimes low WAF gets things done faster smile.gif
post #66 of 78 Old 06-09-2013, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

Metafox, which uses Mkvtoolnix as its backend, can batch convert many files to MKV.
Thanks. I'll have to try that one.
post #67 of 78 Old 06-09-2013, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

Thanks for the replies. I tried MKVtoolnix for a few 1080p H.264 M4V originally encoded with Handbrake 0.99. The conversion was hassle free, although the queue on OSX seems to act strange. The MKV created played on the Echo, but like the source M4V files these are choppy. It's more like dropped frames than severe stutter. Go back to the Handbrake MKVs and it looks like the problem was there two, I just didn't watch long enough. Each movie encode has varying degree of stutter. It's subtle enough that my wife doesn't notice. Unfortunately that means no budget approval for an ATV3 or streaming Blu-ray player. Sometimes low WAF gets things done faster smile.gif
Have you tried Wonderfox SWF Video Converter? I use the free version to convert downloaded youtube videos to mpeg2 .mpg files. I don't have any m4v to try, but it looks like the free version can convert them to mkv. You can add individual/multiple files or entire folders to run in a batch.
post #68 of 78 Old 06-09-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I saw no change in mkv performance on the echo after installing 4.16, checking the "Suggested Settings" box and changing the Radio Dial to Echo Support on the MKV tab. I have always had UAC enabled.

post #69 of 78 Old 06-09-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I saw no change in mkv performance on the echo after installing 4.16, checking the "Suggested Settings" box and changing the Radio Dial to Echo Support on the MKV tab. I have always had UAC enabled.

This thread seems to have two different scenarios: (1) MKVs do not play, and (2) H.264 performance issues. To address #1, yes the current 4.16 Shark007 Codec pack works to allow MKV playback on the Echo. However, it has no affect on #2 as the performance of the Echo playing H.264 in MKV and M4V is poor.

Many Ceton reps here have stated other various formats work on the Echo. I'm not sure if I'm willing to test all of them, since Ceton has never address my m4v bugzilla ticket and sample files I created for them. I honestly don't trust Ceton that these other formats playback smooth. I think they have a lower expectation of smooth playback or are not sensitive to frame rate.
post #70 of 78 Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Have you tried Wonderfox SWF Video Converter? I use the free version to convert downloaded youtube videos to mpeg2 .mpg files. I don't have any m4v to try, but it looks like the free version can convert them to mkv. You can add individual/multiple files or entire folders to run in a batch.

Converting again is out of the question since h.264 to mpeg2 would result in further quality loss. Remux is fine since the container changes. The issue is the Echo can't handle h.264 well, so re-encoding maybe the only solution. Unfortunately, my goal is to have one file with high enough quality that can play on all devices. The ATV3 Handbrake profile worked for 100% of my devices with no additional installs necessary, until the Echo.
post #71 of 78 Old 06-09-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

Has Shark007 already released 32-bit version that 'fixes' the mkv for Echo? I thought it will be next version.
post #72 of 78 Old 06-09-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Has Shark007 already released 32-bit version that 'fixes' the mkv for Echo? I thought it will be next version.

Yes, it can be downloaded from MajorGeeks

Its only in my 'Advanced' version at this time... the Standard version will get it in the next release cycle.
skyflier likes this.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #73 of 78 Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought I would share my success with this new version of Shark007 and playing MKV H.264 1080/24p source material on the echo through media browser. smile.gif

I found the following issues with my encoded files and the echo:

1. The echo does not like DTS HD master or TrueHD audio, only AC3 audio.
2. It will only play sources with a max of 2 reframes.
3. 10 bit encoded video will not play.

My system is running Windows 7x64, I use ripbot264 to encode video. I use media browser to view my movie library. When viewing straight from my HTPC, media browser is set up to use MPC-HC and DTS/TrueHD pass through to my receiver. [This also uses madvr as the direct show video renderer to properly change to 24p refresh rate on my tv.]

See below for the steps that I took to retain the chapters and audio quality while still being compatible with the echo. Video quality difference is negligible.

1. Make sure UAC is on default and any codec or filters are uninstalled, then install the latest advanced shark pack.
2. Open the 007 x64 setting and enable echo compatibility in the MKV tab.
3. Encode the video using the following video options [High 4.1] and any other options you want, I chose the [Slow] preset, then add "--ref 1" at the end of the arguments.
4. For audio choose 5.1 AC3 640kbps.
5. Run RipBot to encode the mkv file.
6. Open the resulting MKV file with mkvmerge GUI
7. Add the DTS or TrueHD track to the mkvmerge, make sure default is no for both AC3 and DTS tracks.

The file now should play with AC3 audio on the echo, and DTS or TrueHD on your HTPC. [You may need to configure your 32 bit splitter to prefer the DTS track]

Rip-bots distributed encoding and batch functionality should make this not too painful to do...

Hope this helps someone, and thanks to Shark for the magic codec pack...
post #74 of 78 Old 06-12-2013, 01:08 AM

Shark007 - you ROCK!!!!
You've made the Ceton Echo worthwhile!
Thank you for your expertise and diligence - the Ceton Extender compatibility you added in 4.16 works great - I can play my mkv's with no problem now!

You take PayPal donations, right?
smile.gif

Thank you again!
post #75 of 78 Old 06-12-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1620 View Post

I thought I would share my success with this new version of Shark007 and playing MKV H.264 1080/24p source material on the echo through media browser. smile.gif

I found the following issues with my encoded files and the echo:

1. The echo does not like DTS HD master or TrueHD audio, only AC3 audio.
2. It will only play sources with a max of 2 reframes.
3. 10 bit encoded video will not play.

My system is running Windows 7x64, I use ripbot264 to encode video. I use media browser to view my movie library. When viewing straight from my HTPC, media browser is set up to use MPC-HC and DTS/TrueHD pass through to my receiver. [This also uses madvr as the direct show video renderer to properly change to 24p refresh rate on my tv.]

See below for the steps that I took to retain the chapters and audio quality while still being compatible with the echo. Video quality difference is negligible.

1. Make sure UAC is on default and any codec or filters are uninstalled, then install the latest advanced shark pack.
2. Open the 007 x64 setting and enable echo compatibility in the MKV tab.
3. Encode the video using the following video options [High 4.1] [Slow], then add "--ref 1" at the end of the arguments.
4. For audio choose 5.1 AC3 640kbps.
5. Run RipBot to encode the mkv file.
6. Open the resulting MKV file with mkvmerge GUI
7. Add the DTS or TrueHD track to the mkvmerge, make sure default is no for both AC3 and DTS tracks.

The file now should play with AC3 audio on the echo, and DTS or TrueHD on your HTPC. [You may need to configure your 32 bit splitter to prefer the DTS track]

Hope this helps someone, and thanks to Shark for the magic codec pack...

I don't want to have to go through all that to get a video to play on the echo. I have several hundred rips, most of them Blu-ray with HD Audio which I want to actually listen to in my HT. You say to add the track back in with mkvmerge but why take it out to begin with? Doing all this would take weeks of my time and the echo needs to just deal with them.

post #76 of 78 Old 06-12-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:

I don't want to have to go through all that to get a video to play on the echo. I have several hundred rips, most of them Blu-ray with HD Audio which I want to actually listen to in my HT. You say to add the track back in with mkvmerge but why take it out to begin with? Doing all this would take weeks of my time and the echo needs to just deal with them.

Long story short, there is no option in rip-bot to retain two audio tracks. Running rip bot with those options will only help those that have videos encoded with more than two reframes. If your movies do not have more than 2 reframes, then all you would need to do is convert the DTS or TrueHD into AC3, then use MKVmerge to insert the AC3 track.

You're right that the echo should play them, but the same thing happened with my X360 extender until I did this so it must be something to do with how media center serves the video. Ripbot 264s distributed encoding and batch encoding makes it a little less painful to re-encode but it will take some time...

(Edited my original post to clarify a few things...)
post #77 of 78 Old 07-09-2013, 05:58 AM

My DVDs have never played correctly on my Echo. Most of them had stuttering and jumping issues. After re-testing them after Echo updates the first few months I gave up trying the last 2-3 months. Today I decided to try an old mp4 that would never play correctly on the Echo and it worked. Apparently an update in the last couple of months has addressed this issue as I have not updated or changed codecs or settings on my hptc. Anyone else see this happen recently?

Tim
post #78 of 78 Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqtmg2 View Post

My DVDs have never played correctly on my Echo. Most of them had stuttering and jumping issues. After re-testing them after Echo updates the first few months I gave up trying the last 2-3 months. Today I decided to try an old mp4 that would never play correctly on the Echo and it worked. Apparently an update in the last couple of months has addressed this issue as I have not updated or changed codecs or settings on my hptc. Anyone else see this happen recently?

Tim

How are you playing DVDs on your Echo?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page