Best way to rip my TV Show DVDs? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-02-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All!

So my brother and I have finally decided to embark on the task of ripping our entire movie / TV show library to disk, now that I have a brand new NAS smile.gif.

We're currently using MakeMKV, and it's working great. With MakeMKV, with most movies, we just pick the largest file on the disk, rip the subtitles / audio tracks we want, and we're good to go - easy. Then it's quite obvious that the single file we get is the movie.

With TV shows, we're having to go through a lot more "manual labor." First, every show's DVD has a different amount of episodes... so we rip the ones we think are correct, and then we have to check them. Then we have to rename each individual file, after we take a look at the actual ripped file. Then we're ready to copy it over and XBMC can scrape properly. Is there a better way to automate / rip TV shows? I'm okay with paying some $ for software if I need to, but I'd like to make this quicker, easier, and more automatic. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-02-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I don't know that there is - basically its trial and error as you have found.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-03-2013, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
With TV show DVD boxsets, you will simply have to do some manual labor in order to have it done correctly. AFAIK there isn't an automatic method for doing this. I have many DVD TV boxsets that I have used MakeMKV to rip, then rename the files to the season/episode number format, then have a program properly add the episode titles.

Movies are easy enough since its just one file but with TV show episodes, you will have to put some work into it. I know it took me awhile to do all of the original 'Three Stooges' episodes, being 190 episodes of them....
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 PM

TV show rips - still manual, but not too bad:
Rip to ISO with AnyDVD (you could rip to DVD folder - vob etc, but I prefer the compact ISO).
Open in Handbrake > you can select the titles. Then do a 10-20 second preview of it before you encode. You can also choose what to name your file here too. This should save you some wasted time previewing those unnecessary encodes.
I prefer to encode to m4v with 2 audio streams (aac core audio for Apple TV2 and other extenders in the house and ac3 passthru - usually 5.1 channels for the Home theater). Plus mp4/mkv's have been treating my W7MC like poo these days.
I was big into just ripping everything to ISO and using MediaBrowser for playback, but my mobile/tablet world needs m4v's.

I still save all the ISO rips on my Drobo since they are like carbon copies of the DVD/BluRays.

I used to use AnyDVD and DVDShrink to rip individual episodes to IOS, but I dont have all the time in the world to do that. I'm not trying to hard sell anyone on AnyDVD, but man it has paid for itself many times now. I might've spent $150 or $200 on it 3 years ago, but it still gets updates.
HandBrake is just pure awesome. I hated the idea of re-encoding my precious DVD's but seriously a setting of the RF constant quality of 19 or 20 is great and unnoticeable to me (I do not think this is the actual % of quality). Here's some good info about it

I'm now toying with MC-TVConverter2 to convert all my Media Center Recorded TV into m4v's with the commercials cut out (ComSkip).

Anyways, hope this helps save you some time.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How is the tv support in mymovies coming along? The last time I messed with it they were working on building their database of tv DVDs and it specified which files on the disc were which episodes
post #6 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Yeah ripping TV shows sucks. Most of the shows I have on DVD/BD I know each episode and I can watch a couple seconds of it and know where it goes.... some like Weeds which I ripped the other day I've never seen the whole series and I've seen the episodes I have seen once. The files on disc are completely out of order so when I scrape them they're all wrong. I use MakeMKV for my TV shows as well since they already compress TV shows so much it's hard to re-encode shows without losing a lot of picture quality. Some shows shot in HD but transferred to DVD still re-compress really well without PQ loss though. Like Castle.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #7 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Mostly what everyone states, but I would recommend you look into using TV Rename for the file rename step. One thing I have learned with MakeMKV and tv shows is that it saves the files in the correct play order. Specifically if the file is saved as title00, title01, etc that translates to episode 1, episode 2 etc. You then manually point TV Rename to the correct file and it will fix the naming convention and make the scrapping portion quicker.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #8 of 9 Old 10-30-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

This is an older thread, but I have ripped plenty of TV shows since I started it. Basically I use MakeMKV. Then I open up every file, I search the internet for a quote in the video, and then I identify the episode, and then I change the file name. then when i'm all done with all of them, I use filebot to clean up the naming. Very tedious, but it gets the job done!
post #9 of 9 Old 12-25-2013, 07:26 PM

I use Makemkv as well but i use http://www.tweaking4all.com/home-theatre/rename-your-tv-series-files/ to rename the complete series on the plus side its free and handles multiple languages 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers