Setup problems HD Homerun Dual and Windows 7 64 bit - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please help if you have the time.

I'm having two setup problems setting up HDHR3-US. 1) apparently successful scans with the setup program aren't recognized to QuickTV when it's opened with its own EXE or with WMC. 2) Although unencrypted SD channels play when Quick TV is opened via the setup program, unencrypted HD channels display a still image.

My desktop OS is Windows 7 64 bit. My graphics are handled by a AMD Radeon HD6570 with Catalyst 13.4 drivers. No anti malware programs run in the background. I am outputting over HDMI to a recent Samsung HDTV. I'm receiving unencrypted digital cable from Mediacom Cable in Albany, GA USA. The HD Homerun is connected to 100Mbps wired network through a Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato firmware. Upnp is enabled.

When the connected HDHR the network light is green. I ran the latest Windows setup 20130328 and scanned 96 channels for both tuners. Clicking on a SD channel in the setup program opens QuickTV and the program plays OK. Clicking on a unencrypted HD channel in the setup program opens Quick TV and a still image of a local advertisement was displayed initially. After searching the forum I tried using the Windows key + P to switch from Computer Only to Projector Only which changed the still image that an HD channel displayed from an advertisement to a program image.

Although SD channels play OK when QuickTV is opened from the setup program when QuickTV is opened from its own exe I get the “channel scan needed please run the setup program. Windows Media Player also fails to find the scanned channels. Opening the config GUI shows no channel, no signal strength and 0.00 Mbps network.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

I sent an email to customer support and received the solutions below. Thanks for a very cool device.

Do your channels have names entered for them in HDHomeRun Setup? QuickTV will report a channel scan is needed if it isn't able to parse any channels, which at a minimum requires having a name entered.

Regarding the HD channels freezing, while you have a channel playing, check the system tray and hidden icons areas for an icon labeled VobSub or DirectVobSub. Double click on it, and locate the Loading option (it may be on the Main tab or some other tab depending on the exact version installed. Set to Do not load. Click OK. This program is basically designed to insert itself between the video decoder and video card. In modern configurations where the video card is decoding the video, it breaks playback.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222

This page should list what channels are available OTA and via cable...

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/
post #4 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, Charles.

I was struggling to identify a number of channels and your link is perfect.

I still have a problem with QAM HD channels showing still images. Support offered the advice to find VobSub in the tray and stop it from loading but I only find ffdshow in the tray. I've been googling trying to figure out how to get the HD Homerun to play nice with ffdshow so that QAM HD channels show video but I can't seem to find what to disable.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 03:55 PM

I have a somewhat similar setup (BUT I am OTA only) and do not have any extra codecs program installed and everthing works perfectly AFA: WMP for preview and WMC for recording and live TV. Does your reference to FFDshow refer to Shark's codecs? I am sure you did this but are all the firewall rules setup? Is the computer part of a domain or home network?

post #6 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

The computer is on a simple wired home network and most channels play as they should so there isn't a firewall problem. I haven't installed Shark's setup. I installed MPC-HC, the Haali splitter and Ffdshow Tryouts individually. When I installed ffdshow the only changes to the default setup were disabling the mixer and setting all stable outputs to libavcodec on each page. Ffdshow uninstalls very cleanly so tomorrow I'll uninstall and then try HD Homerun again.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For $hits and giggles; is it possible for you to configure your tuner for OTA??? (coat hanger test antenna or rabbit ears)
I had some quirky network issues with my HDHR-Dual on QAM cable. I am currently running a pair of HDHR3-CC and one HDHR3-Dual (OTA).with no problems.
Reply Home Theater Computers