OK, why is "Home Theater Computers" in the "Video Components" section? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My HTPC does video, audio, movies, pictures, music, computing, email and a whole lot more. It plays CD's, DVD's, BD's etc.

Seriously moderators? That's just plain dumb. And wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Where should it go?

post #3 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Nope. It's exactly where it should be, at least within the confines of the current AVSForum structure. Although some people do use it as an audio controller instead of using a separate preamp/processor, a HTPC is still a single component in a home theater system. It may be the primary playback device for most video formats in a home theater, but it may not always be the sole source in all setups. You can still have standalone DVD players, VCRs, CD players, etc., in a home theater system, which relegates a HTPC to the video component category. All video components also provide audio outputs so it definitely qualifies as a video component. It's only one link in the chain, not the entire system.

HTPCs can't provide switching capabilities or have internal amplifiers to drive speakers directly, therefore they are components and not controllers. While your HTPC may do a lot of things, other HTPCs may not. The term HTPC covers a wide range of capabilities depending on how they're configured. The way the AVSForums are structured, there is no specific category for HTPCs, but the closest category where it fits is under Video Components. Keep in mind that the HTPC forum was setup many years ago before Blu-Ray playback and other features were even on the horizon.

Take a look at the overall layout of the forum and see if you can think of a better location without having to create an entirely new category. There are already too many subforums to deal with so I personally think it's fine where it is. Nobody else seems to be complaining.

The one type of component that is definitely out of place is the location of DVRs (or PVRs). They're under the Gaming & Content Streaming category, which makes absolutely no sense. Content streaming is only available on some DVRs (i.e., Tivo) and none of them do gaming, AFAIK.
post #4 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
I think it makes sense.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I think the OP makes a fair point. My personal feeling is that since they're (HTCP's) used to stream content and/or act as the heart of a home network distribution 99 times out of 100 that it's probably more suitable to have them in the "Networking, Media player and Streaming Content" area- perhaps as a sub (or remain a main title) category like the DIY screen area is within "Screens" as most folk's inclinations when considering a computer are more closely attributable there than the "video" section with DVD players and cable boxes. But really the most suitable solution would prolly be just adding "Computers/HTPC" to the main title of "Networking and Content Streaming".

It would be interesting to see where 20 people new to the site would start their search. My money would be on the "Networking and Streaming Content" over "Video Components".

Not the end of the world, though.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #6 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Gaming & Content Streaming should be revised with a better name and HTPC should be thrown in there because at this point a HTPC and the latest Gaming consoles (besides the Wii) offer similar features. Technically a PS3 can do most things a HTPC can do (but poorly IMO) so I could see them related in category. Until the category is renamed then it is fine where it is now.

post #7 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

It would be interesting to see where 20 people new to the site would start their search. My money would be on the "Networking and Streaming Content" over "Video Components".

They probably start with Google and end up in a thread directly from the search results. At that point you can see the forum location at the top of the page.

post #8 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

^ yeah, but obviously I and the original poster are talking about people navigating the website that we're on so where they end up after a Google search is a completely different matter, of course.

James

post #9 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's fine where it is. smile.gif

FWIW, I have the forum bookmarked so I don't have to funnel down through the main forum index to find it. If you do that then it's irrelevent what sub-forum it's listed under. Unless you're a first timer here, you should already know where to find it.

The bottom line is that it's going to be whereever the forum owner wants to put it. All of our complaints about the new forum software never got us anywhere so chances are your opinions on this topic will matter even less to the powers that be. This is a discussion that will go absolutely nowhere.
post #10 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Nope. It's exactly where it should be, at least within the confines of the current AVSForum structure. Although some people do use it as an audio controller instead of using a separate preamp/processor, a HTPC is still a single component in a home theater system. It may be the primary playback device for most video formats in a home theater, but it may not always be the sole source in all setups. You can still have standalone DVD players, VCRs, CD players, etc., in a home theater system, which relegates a HTPC to the video component category. All video components also provide audio outputs so it definitely qualifies as a video component. It's only one link in the chain, not the entire system.

HTPCs can't provide switching capabilities or have internal amplifiers to drive speakers directly, therefore they are components and not controllers. While your HTPC may do a lot of things, other HTPCs may not. The term HTPC covers a wide range of capabilities depending on how they're configured. The way the AVSForums are structured, there is no specific category for HTPCs, but the closest category where it fits is under Video Components. Keep in mind that the HTPC forum was setup many years ago before Blu-Ray playback and other features were even on the horizon.

Take a look at the overall layout of the forum and see if you can think of a better location without having to create an entirely new category. There are already too many subforums to deal with so I personally think it's fine where it is. Nobody else seems to be complaining.

The one type of component that is definitely out of place is the location of DVRs (or PVRs). They're under the Gaming & Content Streaming category, which makes absolutely no sense. Content streaming is only available on some DVRs (i.e., Tivo) and none of them do gaming, AFAIK.

Under that classification system, Blu-ray players could be in this section too but they are not. They are in the Blu-ray section. HTPC has its own subsections; I vote that it get its own section altogether in the overall classification system.

post #11 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 218
[DEVIL'S_ADVOCATE]
I suppose an option would be to disband the 'HTPC' forum and reassign each post to its appropriate forum (i.e. LAV Filter goes to 'Video Processor'; MCE to 'DVRs'; Router questions to 'Networking'; etc...) that might make things easier to find.
[/DEVIL'S_ADVOCATE] biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's fine where it is. smile.gif

FWIW, I have the forum bookmarked so I don't have to funnel down through the main forum index to find it. If you do that then it's irrelevent what sub-forum it's listed under. Unless you're a first timer here, you should already know where to find it.

Things don't need to be "broke" to be improved. wink.gif They re-hauled the ENTIRE site less than a year ago, so a small "re-do" surely is within their scope. And I'm not a first timer here- been around for 6+ years, actually- and I started at "networking and streaming content", not "video components" when I started out looking for HTPC...again, for the aforementioned reasoning. Did it take me twenty minutes to find its locale? Of course not, but then, that's not the point.

Further, the site should be as navigable as possible for folks, regardless if it's their first or fiftieth visit. Most long time AVS users have NEVER visited or sought out every sub forum of the site as they never before applied or interested them they would of course also be served by the forum arranged/organized in the best manner possible, as well.

And by the way, the vast majority of forums and sub forums are very much ok in the arrangement dept. smile.gif

James

post #13 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Under that classification system, Blu-ray players could be in this section too but they are not. They are in the Blu-ray section. HTPC has its own subsections; I vote that it get its own section altogether in the overall classification system.

I think that would be a sensible modification.

James

post #14 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
People probably think of their HTPCs differently now. I think the entire "Digital Media Player" realm could be revamped to be a little more clear.

If for instance, you go out and buy a new Samsung 6000 series TV, and you'd like to watch your ripped DVDs on it, where do you pose that question?

-in the TV model thread, where most of the knowledge there is about display and image quality settings?
-in the Networking, Media Players, and Content Streamers forum, hoping someone is familiar with your model's capabilities?
-in the HTPC forum, because you are likely going to need to have Windows Homegroup/DLNA or software like TVersity/Plex set up?

Or if someone wants to play movies on their Xbox 360, where does that question go? Gaming, HTPC, Media Players?

These devices just all double up on each others capabilities more now than when they were probably originally grouped.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #15 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

While I'd agree that some revamping of the forum categories is probably in order, HTPCs cover such a broad range of functions that it's almost impossible to place them under a single forum heading. They can be gaming devices, Blu-Ray or DVD players, streaming devices, audio components, video components, etc. Then again, this is the only forum I frequent here so whatever category it gets placed in will result in a direct linked bookmark anyway. The rest of you are on your own. tongue.gif
post #16 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I think it makes sense.
For the record I meant that I think it makes sense how AVS currently has it... and there is no changes needed.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #17 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While I'd agree that some revamping of the forum categories is probably in order, HTPCs cover such a broad range of functions that it's almost impossible to place them under a single forum heading. They can be gaming devices, Blu-Ray or DVD players, streaming devices, audio components, video components, etc. Then again, this is the only forum I frequent here so whatever category it gets placed in will result in a direct linked bookmark anyway. The rest of you are on your own. tongue.gif

Right, and the gaming HTPC's can be combined with it. the whole lot of PC in the living room could be in it's own section, properly divided up into subsections.

post #18 of 26 Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
It belongs here because it has always been here and I know where to find it. In reality, I think it might be better as a top-level, with sub-forums for hardware, software, gaming, etc. In fact, other gaming machines could be a sub-forum to computer units.
post #19 of 26 Old 06-07-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Funny, OP, I've wondered the same thing for years.
post #20 of 26 Old 06-08-2013, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Obviously people have different thoughts where this sub-forum should be based on their usage. My HTPC is primarily an HD DVR so from that perspective "Home Theater Computers" should be under HDTV with the other HDTV Recorders. There’s such a wide range of usage represented here that one size does not fit all.

But I'm happy where it's at because HTPCs are video components.
post #21 of 26 Old 06-08-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Vote,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,,Vote,

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

post #22 of 26 Old 06-08-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Obviously people have different thoughts where this sub-forum should be based on their usage. My HTPC is primarily an HD DVR so from that perspective "Home Theater Computers" should be under HDTV with the other HDTV Recorders. There’s such a wide range of usage represented here that one size does not fit all.

But I'm happy where it's at because HTPCs are video components.

This is the argument for HTPC having it's own place in the main forum list.

post #23 of 26 Old 06-08-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I posed this same question over two years ago but it is still in Video Components.

post #24 of 26 Old 06-08-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I think the HTPC probably deserves its own forum, but I also understand not moving it, since it would require at least a modest amount of effort on the part of some modmin. And if it doesn't have it's own, being filed under "Video Components" makes the most sense to me as it is a fairly broad category and the HTPC covers a pretty broad range of uses, most of which are video related.

Also keep in mind, changing something on a website that has been established for years, will inevitably result in a bunch of moaning and wailing from people no matter how logical the change is, and no matter how much of an improvement it is.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #25 of 26 Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Never noticed, I've had this forum set as my home page for over 10 years.

Cheers, Tp

"No lawsuit ever fixed a moron."
post #26 of 26 Old 06-08-2013, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat_in_wgtn View Post

My HTPC does video, audio
Sure but other "video components" also do audio. So maybe they should rename "video components" to "AV components".
Quote:
movies, pictures, music... It plays CD's, DVD's, BD's etc.
AV
Quote:
computing, email and a whole lot more.
Non-HTPC uses (since not "home theatre"). Reading email is not "theatre" and so not a typical use of an HTPC.
Quote:
Seriously moderators? That's just plain dumb. And wrong.
HTPC is in the right place. "Hi-Def players" should also be under video/av components.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page