AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

I have 3 NUCs...
1:) i3 which is running Win 7 with a 90GB SSD, 8GB of RAM, and has 2 HDHomerun dual tuners
2: i3 which is running Openelec/XBMC with a 60GB SSD, 8GB of RAM
3:) Celeron which is running Openelec/XBMC with a 60GB SSD, 4GB of RAM

They are all running well. I stream 1080p across a Gigabit LAN (all are hardwired).

ellisr,

Can you explain a lttle more about your setup?
1) Do you just view Live TV on any one of the three, do you record from any of the 3, and where do you store the recorded shows?
2) With 4 LiveTV streams, do you record from any/all of the 3 htpcs ?
3) Does the win7/WMC handle the EPG, or do the 2 XBMC htpcs use another service ?
4) Do you have a server for stored movies, TV shows, and do you use Netflix or Hulu ?
5) Do all 3 have IR remotes ? which model ?

I'm trying to decide if a couple-to-three openelec/XBMC htpcs will work in my environment talking to an ESXi server with a virtual win7/WMC + an HDHomerun Prime (Comcast cable) on my gigabit LAN (3 tuners)
I'm thinking the virtual win7/WMC can do the recording (remote in) and the Openelec/XBMC htpcs can talk directly to the HD Homerun for LiveTV and the other servers on the ESXi for movies, music, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 132 Old 09-18-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD View Post

ellisr,

Can you explain a lttle more about your setup?
1) Do you just view Live TV on any one of the three, do you record from any of the 3, and where do you store the recorded shows?
2) With 4 LiveTV streams, do you record from any/all of the 3 htpcs ?
3) Does the win7/WMC handle the EPG, or do the 2 XBMC htpcs use another service ?
4) Do you have a server for stored movies, TV shows, and do you use Netflix or Hulu ?
5) Do all 3 have IR remotes ? which model ?

I'm trying to decide if a couple-to-three openelec/XBMC htpcs will work in my environment talking to an ESXi server with a virtual win7/WMC + an HDHomerun Prime (Comcast cable) on my gigabit LAN (3 tuners)
I'm thinking the virtual win7/WMC can do the recording (remote in) and the Openelec/XBMC htpcs can talk directly to the HD Homerun for LiveTV and the other servers on the ESXi for movies, music, etc.

1: I record up to 4 channels @ a time on the i3 NUC running Windows 7... I use WMC for recording tv and usually for viewing the TV too. I have a XBOX 360 in our MB along with the Celeron Media Server... I use the XBOX for TV and the Media Server for movies.
2: I am stuck recording them to the i3 NUC as WMC does not support (at least I haven't found a way) to save to a location on the LAN or I would save them to my NAS (which runs on a Atom).
3: Win 7 handles all my TV recording and viewing of TV... It downloads a TV scheduke and I choose what I want to record (full season or just a episode).
4: I hace a UnRaid NAS Server that can hold up to 14TB currently.
5: I do not use a remote... I run CQC HA Software to control my Home entertainment and HA... I am still in the progress of getting it to work 100% the way I want it to. I use a wireless Keyboard/mouse to control my Media Servers and I use another wireless keyboard to control my HA and AVR. Eventually I will have all my lighting, irrigation, and audio equipment controlled from a single device ie... Tablet, phone or PC. This means I can use any of the devices I mentioned to control everything.
I have not been able to get the TV to work for XBMC yet but when I do I will be able to watch in any room and I might even stop using WMC.
f you have any more questions let me know.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #93 of 132 Old 09-19-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

I am stuck recording them to the i3 NUC as WMC does not support (at least I haven't found a way) to save to a location on the LAN or I would save them to my NAS (which runs on a Atom).

I have not been able to get the TV to work for XBMC yet but when I do I will be able to watch in any room and I might even stop using WMC.
f you have any more questions let me know.

If your NAS supports iSCSI you can record directly to its drive. However you can't share the drive directly via other computers. You would have to share the iSCSI/drive from the computer doing the recordings.

I have used NextPVR and Tvheadend. Currently using Tvheadend on my NUC via OpenELEC. Both are fine for live viewing however DVR wise they are no WMC... by a long shot. 

Concerning the NUC is there anyway to quiet the fan beyond setting Quiet Mode in the BIOS... the silly thing is louder than my full size Dell. With a much higher pitch. Regarding the new models IR would be nice but since I tend to hide them away I would still have to use another receiver... via a USB extender.

post #94 of 132 Old 09-19-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Concerning the NUC is there anyway to quiet the fan beyond setting Quiet Mode in the BIOS... the silly thing is louder than my full size Dell. With a much higher pitch. Regarding the new models IR would be nice but since I tend to hide them away I would still have to use another receiver... via a USB extender.
I went into the Bios and changed it to custom and 40%, now it is bone quiet. If yours is noisy I would let Intel know and get a new replacement. I have 2 i3 NUCS and they are both silent and cool after changing the fan settings. My Celeron though is a bit noisy even after changing the fan settings. I am going to notify Intel for a replacement.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #95 of 132 Old 09-19-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My Celeron though is a bit noisy even after changing the fan settings. I am going to notify Intel for a replacement.

Mine is a Celeron too. At times it will produce a high pitch whine. At other times the fan is of medium pitch and again louder than my standard Dell (SSD drive) with two large fans.

post #96 of 132 Old 09-19-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Have you guys looked at this re: fan noise?
https://communities.intel.com/thread/35842
Mine is behind my projector screen, so I don't know if it makes noise or not...

xnappo
post #97 of 132 Old 09-19-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Mine is behind my projector screen, so I don't know if it makes noise or not...

Mine is enclosed in a shelf/closet (with air openings) so noise isn't an issue. However, if I ever use it as my desktop it would be. I noticed it over my current desktop when I was originally configuring it. I am rather picky about my desktop being quiet...

post #98 of 132 Old 09-20-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

. . . . .

I have used NextPVR and Tvheadend. Currently using Tvheadend on my NUC via OpenELEC. Both are fine for live viewing however DVR wise they are no WMC... by a long shot. 
. . . .

Can I ask what kind and size of storage you are using with the OpenELEC/XBMC/Tvheadend PC you are using for LiveTV viewing (i.e. buffer capacity)?

Thanks
post #99 of 132 Old 09-20-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Can I ask what kind and size of storage you are using with the OpenELEC/XBMC/Tvheadend PC you are using for LiveTV viewing (i.e. buffer capacity)?

Originally I was using a 8GB flash drive. I just bumped it up to 64GB and I'll try a few recordings when I get a chance. I'm playing with Live TV... haven't been that impressed with its current DVR implementations.

post #100 of 132 Old 09-20-2013, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

1: I record up to 4 channels @ a time on the i3 NUC running Windows 7... I use WMC for recording tv and usually for viewing the TV too. I have a XBOX 360 in our MB along with the Celeron Media Server... I use the XBOX for TV and the Media Server for movies.
2: I am stuck recording them to the i3 NUC as WMC does not support (at least I haven't found a way) to save to a location on the LAN or I would save them to my NAS (which runs on a Atom).

This is interesting to me because the NUC only has room internally for mSATA SSD. So, are you putting your recordings on an external USB? Or what strategy works.
post #101 of 132 Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmservo View Post

This is interesting to me because the NUC only has room internally for mSATA SSD. So, are you putting your recordings on an external USB? Or what strategy works.
I am putting my TV Shows on a external 3TB USB HDD (not a thumbdrive). I rip my BR movies to the same 3TB drive and then cut and paste them to the NAS.

post #102 of 132 Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post

Intel's upcoming kit uses Intel lan and HD 5000 instead of HD 4400 in Brix. [URL=http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-d54250wyk.html]http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-d54250wyk.html[/URL]

Been waiting for this one for awhile...

Ir and htpc header (hdmi-cec) included.

Intel nic

3.7w at idle would be great.

External HDD or NAS storage for recordings and I could really clean up the area around the TV.

My only complaint is that we still may not have true 4k support once display port 2.0 and HDMI 2.0 become standard on displays. And no option to upgrade with a new video card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
post #103 of 132 Old 09-22-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja View Post

Then what's that

The SATA is in addition to mSATA rather than instead of isn't it?
post #104 of 132 Old 09-22-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelan View Post

Been waiting for this one for awhile...

Ir and htpc header (hdmi-cec) included.

Intel nic

3.7w at idle would be great.

External HDD or NAS storage for recordings and I could really clean up the area around the TV.

My only complaint is that we still may not have true 4k support once display port 2.0 and HDMI 2.0 become standard on displays. And no option to upgrade with a new video card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Too bad you couldn't take a 4k signal and split it and send it to 2 NUCs and then have it combine to go to your 4K TV.

post #105 of 132 Old 09-22-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

It still has the MSATA slot so I would say , yes.

post #106 of 132 Old 09-23-2013, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally I was using a 8GB flash drive. I just bumped it up to 64GB and I'll try a few recordings when I get a chance. I'm playing with Live TV... haven't been that impressed with its current DVR implementations.

Assuming this means you are viewing OTA channels from the HD-Dual network tuners, correct?

I'm interested in a similar setup, but instead using OpenELEC and tvheadend to an HDHR3 with a cable card to Comcast, which seems to be a problem, as I can't get it to work.

I can see the tuners, but can't seem to get channels identified and an EPG. I think there is a manual method to enter the channels instead of scanning, but seems like a chore.

Not really looking to do any recording, just LiveTV.
post #107 of 132 Old 09-23-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Assuming this means you are viewing OTA channels from the HD-Dual network tuners, correct?

I'm interested in a similar setup, but instead using OpenELEC and tvheadend to an HDHR3 with a cable card to Comcast, which seems to be a problem, as I can't get it to work.

Yes - I'm simply OTA. Tvheadend can't handle encrypted channels as well as pretty much everyone else outside of WMC. If the channels aren't you should be able to fight your way through... I presume you are connecting to the service via it's Web server and configuring from there.

I'm wondering if you can configure the NUC to send the same output to both HDMI outputs? Hardware wise or via OpenELEC.

post #108 of 132 Old 09-24-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If anyone is interested in using one of the internal USB ports this is supposed to work. I'm looking to mount my USB flash drive internally to free up one of the externals. I checked monoprice.com and they don't carry such. If you want to use both internal ports I found this.

I found out (I'm guessing many already know) the early version of the motherboards (SA number ending in -101) are missing the internal USB headers. How quaint. :) Anything newer... 102, 103 and 104 are good to go.

ellisr63 likes this.
post #109 of 132 Old 09-24-2013, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a feeling the 32GB mSATA in my NUC running Windows 8 won't get me very far when the 8.1 update comes out next month...
post #110 of 132 Old 09-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I'm thinking I want to try one of these, probably the $165 intel nuc that has been mentioned in this thread. I currently have a full size htpc that the nuc would replace. A few questions...

Is there anything I can salvage from the old build to help with this one? Seems like just the ssd (64 GB), and I don't even need that? And my usb ir adapter.

Looks like memory is a different form factor than what I have now, yes?

Sounds like I can use a usb stick instead of onboard memory, is that right? I have several usb sticks around, I suppose any would work? Any size recommendation? (I have some 8 GB and 32 GB)

I would probably first try openelec - can this run a browser or is it xbmc only? Anyone know of a way to run a browser in xbmc? Reason I ask is a few times a year there are hq webcasts that I'd like to watch, but I need to be able to point to a particular web site, that may or may not be using flash for the video. If I can't do this I may eventually replace openelec with windows, depending on how much I end up liking openelec. (from what I've heard, it sounds like I will like it, which puts me in a tough spot with regard to wanting a browser)

Here's my rough draft plan - missing anything?

Buy the $165 nuc
plug in usb stick, usb ir adapter, ethernet, hdmi, power
install openelec, configure shares
stream mkv in full video/audio quality from my media server

Thanks all!
post #111 of 132 Old 09-25-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 267

The NUC uses laptop sized memory (204pin) which is a different size than desktop ram (240pin).

post #112 of 132 Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sievers View Post

I would probably first try openelec - can this run a browser or is it xbmc only?

There is a Add-on browser for OpenELEC... I haven't tried it yet.

Regarding fan noise and the internal USB header terminal.

I contacted Intel about my "loud" Celeron NUC and they agreed to swap it overnight for free (typically they charge a $25 fee for shipping overnight/advance swap). You just have to return the old one within 30-days to recoup your replacement's charge.

It arrived the next day and turned out to be a Frankenstein. The case was from an i3 with end-user stickers and it looked like a cat attacked the top. The box stated i5 so for a second I thought I got lucky. :) I contacted them and stated I would be returning my replacement and either return mine to Fry's or live with it being noisy.

The next day I decided to order a cable to attach my USB flash drive to the internal header and happened to run across some of the early runs don't have the header. Sure enough mine didn't.... it was from the -101 SA boards/batch. So I called again and this time they stated they would replace it a 104 revision (the newest) and I complained about the condition of the previous replacement (several times). They also waved the $25 fee once again...

Today it arrived and tracking the package I could see it didn't come from their return center as the first one and luckily it was brand new. I guess my complaining paid off. I verified it was a 104 and the top is black versus the dark grey of the original. Also, it's so quiet I kept thinking it wasn't powering up. The difference in noise is dramatic. 

post #113 of 132 Old 09-25-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Buy the $165 nuc
plug in usb stick, usb ir adapter, ethernet, hdmi, power
install openelec, configure shares
stream mkv in full video/audio quality from my media server

Thanks all!

Yep. Of course you might need to tweak for your IR adapter, but should be as simple as that. I was up in running in 5 minutes.

xnappo
post #114 of 132 Old 09-25-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a Add-on browser for OpenELEC... I haven't tried it yet.

Regarding fan noise and the internal USB header terminal.

I contacted Intel about my "loud" Celeron NUC and they agreed to swap it overnight for free (typically they charge a $25 fee for shipping overnight/advance swap). You just have to return the old one within 30-days to recoup your replacement's charge.

It arrived the next day and turned out to be a Frankenstein. The case was from an i3 with end-user stickers and it looked like a cat attacked the top. The box stated i5 so for a second I thought I got lucky. smile.gif  I contacted them and stated I would be returning my replacement and either return mine to Fry's or live with it being noisy.

The next day I decided to order a cable to attach my USB flash drive to the internal header and happened to run across some of the early runs don't have the header. Sure enough mine didn't.... it was from the -101 SA boards/batch. So I called again and this time they stated they would replace it a 104 revision (the newest) and I complained about the condition of the previous replacement (several times). They also waved the $25 fee once again...

Today it arrived and tracking the package I could see it didn't come from their return center as the first one and luckily it was brand new. I guess my complaining paid off. I verified it was a 104 and the top is black versus the dark grey of the original. Also, it's so quiet I kept thinking it wasn't powering up. The difference in noise is dramatic. 
My Celeron NUC is also noisy, I contacted Intel and they are sending me the pads for reducing the heat. I will see if it helps me lower the fan down any. If not I will ask for a replacement too.

post #115 of 132 Old 09-25-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Regarding my earlier question concerning dual output I have found it handles it very nicely. BIOS HDMI output set to Auto (it pokes both HDMI 1 and 2). I connected the projector to HDMI 1 and the receiver to HDMI 2. Booting up 1080p 60Hz comes up on the projector and it allows me to select 1080p 24Hz. Playing a movie the video stays at 1080p 24Hz and the HD audio is processed by the receiver without issue.

Playing around I use a 1080p monitor connected to the receiver that doesn't support 24Hz so it might be tricky bounce back and forth... I'll find out down the road.

post #116 of 132 Old 09-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Yep. Of course you might need to tweak for your IR adapter, but should be as simple as that. I was up in running in 5 minutes.

xnappo

Just to double check - is the usb stick replacing storage and memory? Or just storage, and I still need to add some laptop memory?
post #117 of 132 Old 09-30-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just to double check - is the usb stick replacing storage and memory? Or just storage, and I still need to add some laptop memory?

JUST STORAGE (hard drive). You still need RAM.

xnappo
post #118 of 132 Old 10-01-2013, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Is there enough room inside the NUC case to for a SATA drive?
post #119 of 132 Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce24 View Post

Is there enough room inside the NUC case to for a SATA drive?
I don't think you have any room... There is room for a wireless and the Msata. If you can find the room you would also have to find a way to mount it... Plus you will have more heat in the NUC.

post #120 of 132 Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

I don't think you have any room... There is room for a wireless and the Msata. If you can find the room you would also have to find a way to mount it... Plus you will have more heat in the NUC.

SSDs don't create any heat.

It won't fit though as has been said.
Reply Home Theater Computers