New mini-ITX build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I haven't seen a new build thread in a while so I thought I'd post one of a build I did recently.

This is the smallest PC I've ever built at only 44mm (1 3/4") tall. The case is specially designed for a Giada Atom D2550 / Nvidia GT610 motherboard that is perfect for OpenELEC. It was extremely easy to put together since the case is designed specifically for the motherboard. The motherboard has a SATA port, mSATA slot and mini PCI-e slot for a wireless card if needed. It's amazing how small it is. It runs OpenELEC beautifully, having the Nvidia GT610 on-board. It can bitstream HD audio and plays all the formats I tried. I used a USB stick and 2GB RAM.

I thought it ran Windows pretty nice too though you're still under the constraint with Netflix HD not working but everything else seemed plenty fast with a 64GB mSATA SSD. I had 8GB in it (wanted to just run 4GB but didn't have 2 x 2GB on hand). You get all the other bells and whistles though.

Specs:
Material: Black powder-coater aluminum (3.5mm)
Dimensions: 200*44*225 mm (W*H*D)
HDD: Up to 1 x 2.5" HDD + 1 x mSATA
CPU: Atom dual-core D2550 1.86Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GT610
Memory: 2 x DDR3 SO-DIMM (Up to 8GB)
A/V: HDMI, VGA, mic in, headphone out
USB: 2 x USB2.0 (rear)
LAN: 10/100/1000 RJ45
Power: 12V in (2.5mm x 5.5mm)

Pictures:
Not a lot bigger than a DVD case
33137uw.jpg

Excellent fan control makes this ultra-silent. All kinds of interesting connections on this motherboard.
i3t44z.jpg

Lots of ventilation and nice looking aluminum.
jsyf5f.jpg

Fits perfectly in the specially designed case; has on-board power, HDMI, LAN and a couple of USB ports perfect for a little streamer box.
2wozq6a.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Very nice. I'll take 4 wink.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Very nice. I'll take 4 wink.gif

Make sure you pay your 6.25% use tax when you import them from New Hampshire wink.gif

Anyway, this one is going in the kids' playroom since their E-350 system died a horrible screeching death.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-11-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Lol, gotta make sure the Staties' don't catch me when I cross the border...

That's cool. I am trying to hold out until the HDHR4 comes out so I can then transition from Cable STB's to other solutions. Hoping I can easily do so with OpenELEC and devices like the above. I could actually use four at the moment, though my son is only home for the summer and daughter only has another year of H.S. left. I will probably get by with other devices that can hopefully do the DLNA function easily enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol, gotta make sure the Staties' don't catch me when I cross the border...

That's cool. I am trying to hold out until the HDHR4 comes out so I can then transition from Cable STB's to other solutions. Hoping I can easily do so with OpenELEC and devices like the above. I could actually use four at the moment, though my son is only home for the summer and daughter only has another year of H.S. left. I will probably get by with other devices that can hopefully do the DLNA function easily enough.

Well, I do have four more if you need them smile.gif. If you're just doing OTA/ClearQAM (HDHR4 US) then OpenELEC will work fine. I've never set that up with the PVR backend and all that but people seem to like it. If you're doing CableCard though, so far the only answer is WMC. OpenELEC runs really, really well on these little Atom/Nvidia GT610 boxes even with just 2GB and a USB drive (I use the Sandisk Cruzer Fit 16GB). IIRC, even with Windows, Prime95 large FFT test showed around 25W maximum usage measured with a Kill-a-Watt.

Careful at the border. I've been running it for over 10 years now to get to work. They haven't caught me yet -- well except the MA DOR when they extract their yearly pound of flesh. It's worth it though to work near MicroCenter wink.gif

post #6 of 14 Old 06-11-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah yes, MicroCenter it's like a playground for techies.

Ya it would be cable card, I guess I'm hoping that SiliconDust works out the DLNA capabalities with certain devices. I've read about success stories with the PS3 and WDTV Live, and even OpenELEC both of which I currently have. Not sure how stable it is though, and I know channel switching is not easy with most of those devices, but I haven't kept track of it since I don't have a prime yet.

For the HT I have a decent enough HTPC, mainly need something simple for the living room and the bedrooms. When the time comes I'll focus a bit more on that, for a dedicated solution in each room. Definately will keep something like this or similar in my back pocket. Keep up the good work, I've seen what you have to offer before and have always found it appealing.

post #7 of 14 Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Ah yes, MicroCenter it's like a playground for techies.

Ya it would be cable card, I guess I'm hoping that SiliconDust works out the DLNA capabalities with certain devices. I've read about success stories with the PS3 and WDTV Live, and even OpenELEC both of which I currently have. Not sure how stable it is though, and I know channel switching is not easy with most of those devices, but I haven't kept track of it since I don't have a prime yet.

For the HT I have a decent enough HTPC, mainly need something simple for the living room and the bedrooms. When the time comes I'll focus a bit more on that, for a dedicated solution in each room. Definately will keep something like this or similar in my back pocket. Keep up the good work, I've seen what you have to offer before and have always found it appealing.

With a CableCard you best bet would be a single HTPC and extenders, not additional SFF HTPC's, unless you want to deal with copy protected content and maintaining multiple recording schedules, and keeping track of what can be viewed where....

With extenders everything can be viewed everytwhere....

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #8 of 14 Old 06-11-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Great point. Pretty soon I'll be able to get Xbox's real cheap also.

post #9 of 14 Old 06-11-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've thought about the XBox route for our house but I just don't want that big (to me) plastic thing sitting on every shelf. I've found if I really want to watch a movie in two places, I just record it in both places. I guess it depends a lot on how much content you record is flagged copy-once. It still seems really dumb there is no software extender solution available.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-11-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I've thought about the XBox route for our house but I just don't want that big (to me) plastic thing sitting on every shelf. I've found if I really want to watch a movie in two places, I just record it in both places. I guess it depends a lot on how much content you record is flagged copy-once. It still seems really dumb there is no software extender solution available.

This just floors me. It is an opportunity to get in on a market that is just beginning and has no clear end in sight, yet nobody has successfully taken the initiative.

While Xbox isn't the most elegant box in the equipment rack it is unfortunately the only game in town (sorry Ceton Echo tongue.gif ). Easy to set up and it just works. I'm personally glad I found them.

post #11 of 14 Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looks very nice stardog.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-11-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

This just floors me. It is an opportunity to get in on a market that is just beginning and has no clear end in sight, yet nobody has successfully taken the initiative.

While Xbox isn't the most elegant box in the equipment rack it is unfortunately the only game in town (sorry Ceton Echo tongue.gif ). Easy to set up and it just works. I'm personally glad I found them.

It makes me wonder what the real barrier to entry is. Why is an extender so hard? Why did the old ones (I have a Linksys one and it's pretty decent) just go away?

post #13 of 14 Old 06-12-2013, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I don't know how much smaller and quieter the new Xbox360 announced in the last day or so is. Its case is style after the xbox one.
Price is still $199.

Just another blank signature.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-12-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Once the HDH4 comes out I'll have a better idea of what I can do and see what stations are set to copy once or not. Most programming we watch is locals and national channels, no HBO or the like.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page