Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 114 Old 06-21-2013, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

Why can't I control all my drives in the pool? That's definitely ridiculous.
Hey, Mike, when you throw Napoleon Dynamite.mkv movie to your pool, do you know where it is in one of your 12 Seagate drives? You're blind, right?
Let's say Mike wants to watch that movie with his friends at his friend's house. So, which drive is the correct drive he should yank out?

You can. Like I said above, use expert mode for pooling - You can copy "Napoleon Dynamite.mkv" straight to any of the single drives putting it exactly where you want and it will automatically show in the pool too.
Then you would know what drive to pull out to take to a friends house.

Majority of users will never need this option though, but it definitely can be done in Flexraid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 114 Old 06-21-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT99 View Post

Isn't that the point of drive pooling......you don't want to see individual drives! If you do want to see individual drives then don't use drive pooling, you can just use parity protection on the non pooled drives.

David
Yes. That is the point of drive pooling, but also a minus of Flexraid pool.
One of the best things of Flexraid is once I don't use Flexraid anymore I can turn and run independent hard drives of various sizes, makes, and models into my PC, docks, enclosures, NAS, ... without any problem.
Hey, Mike, when you throw Napoleon Dynamite.mkv movie to your pool, do you know where it is in one of your 12 Seagate drives? You're blind, right?
Let's say Mike wants to watch that movie with his friends at his friend's house. So, which drive is the correct drive he should yank out?

I would use an External USB drive like you are supposed to use. wink.gif Or better yet a 64GB Flash drive eek.gif

I actually build a USB 3.0 External mini drive with 120GB SSD inside for ultra fast transfer and no need for a power cord. USB powers it all. Just for purposes like this. biggrin.gif

But- I could figure out what drive it's on in about 15 seconds. I'd just turn off pooling and access each drive directly. I have 20 hot swaps in my server and 2 in my desktop. If was yanking out a drive to bring to a friends house it would not be a totally full 3TB data drive from my storage server. I would not want to remove all that data or risk it getting dropped or something. Most HDD fail when you move them around a lot.

I'd rather slap in a spare HDD into a spare bay and use that if I had to do it that way.

I do not mind the copy and paste time it takes. That's why I don't use 5400rpm HDDs biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #93 of 114 Old 06-21-2013, 03:42 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Yes. That is the point of drive pooling, but also a minus of Flexraid pool.
One of the best things of Flexraid is once I don't use Flexraid anymore I can turn and run independent hard drives of various sizes, makes, and models into my PC, docks, enclosures, NAS, ... without any problem.

This is confusing..........flexraid is a pooling app and you think pooling is a minus point? If so then don't buy a pooling app! Or do what has been suggested already by "ace.....".

David
post #94 of 114 Old 06-21-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

This is confusing..........flexraid is a pooling app and you think pooling is a minus point? If so then don't buy a pooling app! Or do what has been suggested already by "ace.....".

David

Agreed. That's what makes pooling so great, imo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #95 of 114 Old 06-23-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

ISO to MKV rips in under 2 minutes eek.gif

Doze dere Seagate drives biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #96 of 114 Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Weird, people tried not to understand my point, except acejh1987 who advised me to use expert mode for pooling (it's too late now).
Like me, most people here used Cruise Control to setup the pool. I remember I was so scared to see all my drives had gone. I felt some thing wrong here but just couldn't figure out till now (too late).

Once again, like most people here who are newbies I accidently pick "Auto Merge with Balanced Space Priority" to save space. This merge mode balances data among my available drives to ensure that drives are used evenly. My data here is Bluray movies I ripped into many m2ts files in STREAM folders. On a beautiful day, I decide not to use Flexraid or for some reason I cannot restore the pool any more. I'm doomed for sure. Why?

First, I have to say again, I don't know where my movies are. They were definitely splitted into pieces and located everywhere among my hard drives. With thousands of movies, don't tell me to sit back and sort them out throughout HDDs. Don't tell me that is the point of Flexraid pool.

Second, using flexraid pool right now, I can access a folder, which is located on more than 1 disk, Flexraid will access disk one, wait for it to spin up, access disk two, wait for it to spin up and so on. As I am putting more and more disks into the array, I have to wait longer and longer for the disks to spin up. Once again, don't tell that's the point of Flexraid pool.
post #97 of 114 Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
I was under the impression FlexRAID never split any data.... how could it if it's file system based?

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #98 of 114 Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

I was under the impression FlexRAID never split any data.... how could it if it's file system based?

Right. Flexraid does not. At least my Flexraid doesn't smile.gif

-

post #99 of 114 Old 06-25-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Right. Flexraid does not. At least my Flexraid doesn't smile.gif

It's not splitting a single file across drives, but it can/will split m2ts files from a blu-ray playlist across multiple drives with the balanced storage setting, if you write to the pooled drive (and not to the individual drives in expert mode). This caused issues for me when I used DriveBender because many movies would stutter whenever the stream needed to pick up the next file in the playlist (if it was on a different drive). I got around this by remuxing to MKV or by ripping to ISO, so that the files wouldn't be scattered across drives.

If Elpee decided to drop FlexRAID some day, he would need to do a lot of manual file moving to reconsolidate his movie folders (which I assume are ripped as BDMV folder structure).
post #100 of 114 Old 06-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse View Post

It's not splitting a single file across drives, but it can/will split m2ts files from a blu-ray playlist across multiple drives with the balanced storage setting, if you write to the pooled drive (and not to the individual drives in expert mode). This caused issues for me when I used DriveBender because many movies would stutter whenever the stream needed to pick up the next file in the playlist (if is was on a different drive). I got around this by remuxing to MKV or by ripping to ISO, so that the files wouldn't be scattered across drives.

If Elpee decided to drop FlexRAID some day, he would need to do a lot of manual file moving to reconsolidate his movie folders (which I assume are ripped as BDMV folder structure).

Thanks for the clarification. That makes way more sense biggrin.gif

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #101 of 114 Old 06-25-2013, 02:18 PM

If Elpee had read the flexraid instructions before installing flexraid, all the issues he/she is complaining about would not exist. The option to evenly spread data across all drives in the pool has to be selected as it is not the default option. The issue with not seeing individual drives is also avoidable by using expert mode all of which is documented.

I am sorry but I don't see what Elpee's issue is, just RTFM or stop using flexraid. rolleyes.gif

David
post #102 of 114 Old 06-25-2013, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse View Post

It's not splitting a single file across drives, but it can/will split m2ts files from a blu-ray playlist across multiple drives with the balanced storage setting, if you write to the pooled drive (and not to the individual drives in expert mode). This caused issues for me when I used DriveBender because many movies would stutter whenever the stream needed to pick up the next file in the playlist (if it was on a different drive). I got around this by remuxing to MKV or by ripping to ISO, so that the files wouldn't be scattered across drives.

Thanks, you got me. And I know I'm not the only person who is screwed.
post #103 of 114 Old 06-25-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

No, you're still the only one who is screwed...smile.gif I just understand your problem.

I learned my lesson when using DriveBender, and selected the "Auto-folder priority" option, when setting up my FlexRaid. However, I think you can still change that setting after your pool is created, but it doesn't help de-fragment your current data folders.

Another way you could fix your issue, is to change your Storage Pool Merge option to "Auto-folder priority", then move a drive-worth's of movies to a non-pooled drive, and then copy them back to the pool, and repeat until all your movies have been transferred out, and back into the pool. You'll still get "some" splits, but a lot fewer this way.
post #104 of 114 Old 06-25-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Its unfortunate but your only way out is to painstakingly rebuild all the individual folders once you have removed the drives from the pool. Its a tough lesson but you really should have read the wiki before you installed flexraid.

David
post #105 of 114 Old 06-27-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

if you have your pool running- and you copy from the pool to a drive outside the pool with a copy and paste of the each folder- the folder and all it's contents would be transfered. You could then delete the folder from the pool- and do the next. And the next. Until your drive is full. That full drive would have complete folders. You could add it back to the pool. Do it again--

It's going to be a pain but all your data is there.

I would be curious to hear how you fix this. I think copy and paste and consolidation into drives outside the pool- then wipe clean your pool drives and add the new drives in would work well. but you need new storage to do it.

-

post #106 of 114 Old 08-08-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OP- How did you make out ? Did you ever get yourself straigtened out ?

Sorry about all the thread hijacking biggrin.gif Did you get your speeds straightened out ?

-

post #107 of 114 Old 11-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

If Elpee had read the flexraid instructions before installing flexraid, all the issues he/she is complaining about would not exist. The option to evenly spread data across all drives in the pool has to be selected as it is not the default option. The issue with not seeing individual drives is also avoidable by using expert mode all of which is documented.

I am sorry but I don't see what Elpee's issue is, just RTFM or stop using flexraid. rolleyes.gif

David

This is easier said than done: The "documentation" is a mess and all over the place. I'm trying to set mine up and figure out why it's so slow. The screen shots here don't match the current version of software:

http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/08/23/setting-up-your-snapshot-raid/

The links to advanced tutorials are broken
post #108 of 114 Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Usually if you set up real time then try to switch to snapshot you get very poor speeds. You need to choose the right one from beginning.

-

post #109 of 114 Old 11-12-2013, 04:53 AM

Liked: 148
It sounds like if you switch types you should start from scratch - remove all vestiges of your previous parity and begin as if you never had any flexraid program installed at all. Is that what you are saying? Just wanting to clarify for people.
post #110 of 114 Old 11-12-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

It sounds like if you switch types you should start from scratch - remove all vestiges of your previous parity and begin as if you never had any flexraid program installed at all. Is that what you are saying? Just wanting to clarify for people.

Basically this . Yes.

-

post #111 of 114 Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 AM

I hate that people write programs poorly and leave junk behind. Seriously, how hard is it to remove the stuff you add? OK, rhetorical question, it is not hard.
post #112 of 114 Old 11-12-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I hate that people write programs poorly and leave junk behind. Seriously, how hard is it to remove the stuff you add? OK, rhetorical question, it is not hard.

I don't think the issue is leaving junk behind as a complete uninstall and reinstall fixes problem.

The issue is toggling back and forth from snap shot to real time.

Really you need to simply choose one.

I'd probably think in future builds that "F" becomes only snapshot and "T" becomes real time

-

post #113 of 114 Old 11-12-2013, 08:25 AM

Sorry, for some reason the email notification took me to the first page instead of the last, so I saw your reply to "go trolling (through the registry to remove left over stuff)" and thought it was a recent post. My post was a generic post, complaining about software designers who do not remove the entries they create. smile.gif
post #114 of 114 Old 11-12-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I hear ya... and I agree.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page