Intel Haswell LGA 1150 (Socket H3) Stock Cooler Noise - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 177 Old 06-10-2013, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Curious about the noise that the Intel Haswell Stock Cooler generates? Look no further:

WANTED: 16:10 120Hz monitors for triple surround gaming/Google Earth browsing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 177 Old 06-11-2013, 12:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I noticed the fan changed.

IVB i5/i7: NIDEC 80mm 0.28A
Haswell i5/i7: DELTA 80mm 0.60A

It must be extremely loud at full speed. The stock fan is inadequate for i5/i7 non-S/T anyway.
post #3 of 177 Old 06-11-2013, 02:29 AM

Liked: 13
Intel uses four different fan oems.
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030330.htm

lagittaja@Overclock.net | Lagittaja@MuroBBS | Also Anandtech AVForums DIYAudio Head-Fi XDA-Developers e-Savuke ECF VFF VaporWall VapePit & etceteros
Main rig
post #4 of 177 Old 06-11-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
I've got a spare unused fan from a 4770k. Never even bothered installing it smile.gif

Mine is silent though and temps were good. I added a second 120mm fan to my cooler so it has a fan on both sides of the radiator. Advantage of running a Cosmos 2 case that's large enough to park a Cadillac inside.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 177 Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 AM

When I first built a rig with 2500K I had to wait couple of weeks for my new cooler. Used the stock cooler. It wasn't that bad. Temps were a bit high if stressed with IBT and wasn't exactly quiet. But nothing that I couldn't live with.
Although a ~25€ cooler is miles better rolleyes.gif

lagittaja@Overclock.net | Lagittaja@MuroBBS | Also Anandtech AVForums DIYAudio Head-Fi XDA-Developers e-Savuke ECF VFF VaporWall VapePit & etceteros
Main rig
post #6 of 177 Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Ok, I watched the video and it seems really quiet to me. Was that the point?

post #7 of 177 Old 06-11-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think the point was a 4670k or 4770k is going to stress a stock intel fan - which is not really up for the duties demanded.

Two things happen: (Both bad)

First- The stock Intel Fan must run hard, increasing noise due to higher RPM speed.

Second, The CPU runs hotter than ideal because the stock Intel fan is limited in cooling capability.

When you upgrade the fan a couple things happens: One it can get quieter (not that Intel stock fans are super loud. They are usually quiet unless your going hard). Two, Temps can drop down.

I picked up a Coolermaster EVO2 212 air cooler at Microcenter last week for $19.99. I believe it was marked wrong, but I confirmed the price with the checkout girl. They had a pile of them at the front of the store bulked out with a sign. I believe the non EVO was supposed to be $19.99 and the EVO was $29.99 (still good value) but since it was marked wrong I bought it. I bought it as a last minute after thought much like you would add a candy bar or pack of gum at a grocery checkout. Looking back I am glad I did, because for $20 it saved me the trouble of having to remove my other after market cooler I was originally going to re-use from my 2600k machine.

My long term plan is for a water cooler, which is why I did not want to get too serious with an air cooler or spend big $$. But for $20 the EVO is a great air cooler if you can fit it.

I added a second 120mm fan so there is a fan on both sides of the large radiator.

The results are it is super quiet because most of the time it is going at very low RPM. Lower the RPM the quieter the sound. That is why a high end cooler can often be quieter and cool better than a stock cooler. It cools much better because it's like 5 times the size of the stock intel cooler with more radiator, more surface area, and two 120mm fans moving more air than a small single fan.

Disclaimer: I run a 3570k in my HTPC with stock intel cooler and it's in my bedroom and I hear nothing. No hate on Intel stock coolers. For non overclocked situations they work fine on any mid range or under CPU.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 177 Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Wow, I though the video just showed how it started loud and then got really quiet. I had no idea it had all that in it! biggrin.gif

post #9 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I think the point was a 4670k or 4770k is going to stress a stock intel fan - which is not really up for the duties demanded.

Two things happen: (Both bad)

First- The stock Intel Fan must run hard, increasing noise due to higher RPM speed.

Second, The CPU runs hotter than ideal because the stock Intel fan is limited in cooling capability.

When you upgrade the fan a couple things happens: One it can get quieter (not that Intel stock fans are super loud. They are usually quiet unless your going hard). Two, Temps can drop down.

I picked up a Coolermaster EVO2 212 air cooler at Microcenter last week for $19.99. I believe it was marked wrong, but I confirmed the price with the checkout girl. They had a pile of them at the front of the store bulked out with a sign. I believe the non EVO was supposed to be $19.99 and the EVO was $29.99 (still good value) but since it was marked wrong I bought it. I bought it as a last minute after thought much like you would add a candy bar or pack of gum at a grocery checkout. Looking back I am glad I did, because for $20 it saved me the trouble of having to remove my other after market cooler I was originally going to re-use from my 2600k machine.

My long term plan is for a water cooler, which is why I did not want to get too serious with an air cooler or spend big $$. But for $20 the EVO is a great air cooler if you can fit it.

I added a second 120mm fan so there is a fan on both sides of the large radiator.

The results are it is super quiet because most of the time it is going at very low RPM. Lower the RPM the quieter the sound. That is why a high end cooler can often be quieter and cool better than a stock cooler. It cools much better because it's like 5 times the size of the stock intel cooler with more radiator, more surface area, and two 120mm fans moving more air than a small single fan.

Disclaimer: I run a 3570k in my HTPC with stock intel cooler and it's in my bedroom and I hear nothing. No hate on Intel stock coolers. For non overclocked situations they work fine on any mid range or under CPU.

Here is some pics from my Haswell:

Stock Cooler:

$19 Coolermaster:

You can see I added the second 120mm Fan I had laying around a silent X fan from my Norco 4220 fan blade upgrade- I used that. It's very quiet for a cheap fan. The Trident G SKill Memory I used has a high top plate so it's a clearance issue if you wanted to use 16GB or if you wanted to use slots 1 and 3 (I used 2 and 4 and only 8GB) As you can see there was barely enough clearance.

-

post #10 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Ok, I watched the video and it seems really quiet to me. Was that the point?

The point is to show off just how the thing sounds at startup as well as thereafter. Going from loudest to quiet, you get an idea of the range of sound that the fan makes. At full speed, it's blisteringly loud, and at lower speeds, it hums right along like a gentle breeze on a warm summer day. Ahhhh!

WANTED: 16:10 120Hz monitors for triple surround gaming/Google Earth browsing.

post #11 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 358
If you control the fan speed properly (via BIOS setup or a Windows utility such as SpeedFan), there should be no noise problem in the stock cooler (at least at idle and video playback).

Initial fan sound (= fan speed) depends on the motherboard, i.e. how quickly read the speed stored in BIOS EPROM. Fan runs at full speed for a couple seconds in some mb, runs at the specified speed from the beginning in some mb...
post #12 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm just using the Asrock fan control on my mobo. It seems to work well.

I'll post a screen shot and some temps when I get home. It's easy to set. My fans are very quiet and usually only low RPM.

-

post #13 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm just using the Asrock fan control on my mobo. It seems to work well.

I'll post a screen shot and some temps when I get home. It's easy to set. My fans are very quiet and usually only low RPM.

I changed the multiplier to 43 (4300mhz) and boosted the GPU to 1500mhz. I didn't push the system but it's been running about 15 minutes now, normal use.

My CPU fans are barely moving at all and the temps are very low.

-

post #14 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
You could probably get even better cooling out of that Coolermaster by using fans with the same airflow and pressure.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #15 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I ran the SVP test to see what happens.

Even after 6 of 8 tests the temps were pretty low. My PC is in my home office. It's about 72 degrees in here. (no AC)

-

post #16 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

You could probably get even better cooling out of that Coolermaster by using fans with the same airflow and pressure.

I have a more than a few matching 120mm fans. I could easily use matching fans. but, Why would it matter ?

They barely get rolling. I'm seeing 800rpm or 600rpm speeds and 39c temps.

Admittedly I've really just begun experimenting- but so far temps seem fine even if I pound this thing.

-

post #17 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 01:52 PM

See what the core temps look like with Real Temp.

Main rig
post #18 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

I assume you're going to actually be doing some processing with that 4770 and not just ripping discs or streaming video? Do a couple linpack runs and see how hot it gets.

post #19 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm at 4400mhz.... I cranked up the fan speed to 1000rpm. Temps dropped down... lol

I'm about to run passmark. I am going to keep an eye on temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja View Post

See what the core temps look like with Real Temp.

link ?

-

post #20 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

CoreTemp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/) is good too but most people prefer RealTemp anymore

post #21 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

during test ^ (I am sure copy pasting in MS PAINT on second monitor during test didn't maximize results... lol )

and below:

Immediately upon completion ^

I saw temps jump up a bit but still in the 40c range...

It was a quick test... but still. Not bad.

-

post #22 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

During test:

After test:

Temps actually shot up to 60c for a split second... but quickly back down.
I'll have to run a more intensive test to see what's up but with normal use- there is no reason you can't run 4400mhz all day long on this thing. It is very stable.

-

post #23 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I ran the XS test (but I have no clue what it does or what it means... lol )

A couple clicks and I beat the high score. (do I win a prize? )

-

post #24 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 02:37 PM

I think you've won in the die lottery. Do you have Windows 7 Service Pack 1 installed?
Now try IntelBurnTest v2.54 with maximum memory usage with that 4.6Ghz clock.
See those temps sky rocket lol.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intelburntest.html

But keep in mind. SP1 brought AVX support for Windows 7 and IntelBurnTest nowadays has AVX support as well. It will REALLY hammer your CPU, so do keep an eye on the temperatures.

Main rig
post #25 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah I have SP1 installed I think. How would I check ?

I think I am good.

-

post #26 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 02:43 PM

There

Edit: I'm slow..

Main rig
post #27 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I will say for sure that the speed this thing unzips winrar files is just plain stupid. It's like freakin' lightning.

I can't even tell if it worked sometimes it's so fast the screen just flashes. I have to go find the file to confirm it's good.
I'm digging this new Vector SSD too. For the low reasonable price it's way awesome.

-

post #28 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja View Post

There

Edit: I'm slow..

Or I am just fast biggrin.gif

I asked a stupid question actually. I knew how to go find out if I had SP1. I am not sure why I asked. I should not have asked and just went and checked.

I am on a new install- and I used my old school home DVD (it's from when W7 launched) so I remember it downloading and updating SP1.

-

post #29 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A worthy note:

I have a unique way of applying my thermal paste. I wish took a video or a picture. I used Artic Silver 5- I spread it evenly to totally cover the cooler on the exact area it contacts the CPU.

I once had overheating issue on a 2500k machine- so I re-did it and saw amazing improvement. I have been doing it that way ever since and my systems seem to run cool even when I beat on them.

Having a Cosmos II case I am sure helps too. The case is just plain awesome. Its the quietest case I've ever owned, and also the coolest.

I'm looking at a good water cooler - or some type of liquid radiator but I have just begun exploring my options. The Cosmos II has some fit issues if I recall - so I will have to do some good research but I think that might help me go hard.

I generally don't like to overclock and push a brand new CPU generation until I have seen some feedback. I am not into being a test bed myself. With the 4770k I have honestly done zero reading on the results so I have no clue where I can go with it or what others have seen yet. That is my hesitation with pushing this thing.

-

post #30 of 177 Old 06-12-2013, 03:05 PM

I have MX-2. Good price for a 30g tube haha. And it's not too thin or too thick so the pressure of the heat sink spreads it nice across the IHS. I previously used MX-4 and it was way too thick.
And nowadays I have been applying the thermal paste like a line across the IHS.
Like so

Except the other way around since if you'd take a peek inside Sandy or Ivy or Haswell the die is oriented this way

But since that first picture has a Core 2 Quad, the line that way is good since C2Q die looks like this

I personally have some issues with the spread method. You could possibly have some air trapped in there. And since air doesn't conduct heat that well..And since the die now is quite narrow and long I fail to really see the reason to apply it like that. Better to do a line on the middle running along the same axis as the die where most of the heat will be concentrated.
I could tomorrow reapply my heatsink and see how my application was, and make a video of course or grab some pictures.

Main rig
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page