Current generation Blu-ray disc playback software-what are you using? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I recently rebuilt my HTPC, and had previously used Arcsoft TMT3. It worked really well for me, and I really liked the MCE integration. On the new HTPC I'm still using WIndows 7, but I upgraded to TMT6, and it has been very disappointing. For one thing, it really slows down my boot times (a well-documented issue), but it's also responds verly slowly during playback to pause/FFW/RW buttons, which TMT3 did just fine before.

So I'm looking to move away from Arcosft, but was wondering what others were using for Blu-ray disc playback. I know of PowerDVD 13 and WinDVD (version #?). Also why did you choose that application over the others?

I'm looking for streamlined MCE integration (insert a disk, and it just starts playing), and full blu-ray playback capability (menus, BD-Java, etc.). I'm also outputting analog audio, so any app that doesn't down-sample analog would be preferred (I know arcosft TMT3 down-sampled, but it didn't seem to affect the sound that significantly).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
IF TMT3 worked well for you why not just use it?

post #3 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
While my TV is not 3D, I'd like to be able to play 3D blu-rays (as I understand, you can convert a 3D movie to 2d for playback, but TMT3 can't play 3D disks at all...)
post #4 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
I am using the newest version of MakMKV (beta)

Bluray playback software is for noobs. Discs are crap. I'm too lazy to take care of them, organize them, or get up and put one in or take one out.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 56
MPC-HC or Potplayer for playback and MakeMKV to rip either DVD or BD. Chosen because they are small, resource light (without added filters in MPC at least) and free but they don't autoplay on disc insertion which is a feature I find annoying anyway. I'm happy to select from a menu. MakeMKV is a killer app, sort of like what DVDShrink could have become with more development and is even easier to use. Assassin has a great how to on his website.

I also have no problems using discs, except that living in an apartment I'm running out of space to store them (as well as all my books and LPs) so I'm going to rip all my SD discs onto drives and later BRs when I run out of space for them too. Eventually, I can see them all being on HDD.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse View Post

I'm looking for streamlined MCE integration (insert a disk, and it just starts playing), and full blu-ray playback capability (menus, BD-Java, etc.)

Not sure if the above posters missed this but MakeMKV isn't going to be any good in this situation, its no good if you want full menu's and it couldn't play straight from the disc anyway.
In my experience I didn't really like PowerDVD or WinDVD, I didn't find them any better than TMT.
I'm using TMT 5.3.1.146 and it seems to be working pretty good for me, I tried TMT6 but I also rolled back because of the boot time issue (Although this looks to be fixed in the latest build)

Another option if you could live without the menus is something like DVDFab Passkey/AnyDVD HD which will allow the disc to be played in non commercial software like MPC/XBMC/VLC etc (Main Movie Only though).
post #7 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 79
My solution: buy a reference quality Panasonic blu ray player for about $100. Experience none of the headaches of crap BD software and have perfect 1080p/24 output and outstanding chroma resolution.

When you're done caring about menus and extras, rip to your htpc and enjoy having all your media a button press away.
Sammy2 and sawfish like this.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

So I'm looking to move away from Arcosft, but was wondering what others were using for Blu-ray disc playback. I know of PowerDVD 13 and WinDVD (version #?). Also why did you choose that application over the others?
I use AnyDVD and JRiver Media Center 18.

I use it over anything else because it handles all my media playback with the highest fidelity possible, is highly customizable, and has great library management tools.

MakeMKV is also a good solution for a HTPC in addition to (or instead of?) AnyDVD because it lets you rip the main feature without having to store all the menus, extras, languages you don't speak...
Quote:

insert a disk, and it just starts playing
and full blu-ray playback capability (menus, BD-Java, etc.)
These two things are in opposition of each other. Having support for BD-J and menus means that you are stuck sitting through trailers and unskippable sequences before you can play the film. JRiver doesn't use the menus, and starts playback of the film immediately with no ads etc.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 07:32 PM

Liked: 147
TMT5 for my Win7 HTPC, TMT6 for my gaming machine.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Bluray playback software is for noobs. Discs are crap. I'm too lazy to take care of them, organize them, or get up and put one in or take one out.

Real men have enough storage to rip everything to full iso ;-)

Besides, there is no viable solution for 3D playback on an HTPC other than bluray playback software. Stereoscopic player still won't do simple things like exit on stop like MPC-HC does.

Looky here!
post #11 of 16 Old 06-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

but was wondering what others were using for Blu-ray disc playback.

I use a cheap, stand-alone Blu-Ray player. I haven't had any Blu-Ray troubles since. Best $60 I spent for my home theater.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Liked: 12
J. River MC18. Best audio handling around, IMO. Never had a problem with Blu-Ray folder structure, either.

I kept hoping that the proliferation of YouTube would kill on-disc trailers, but alas, no. If I wanted to see trailers on the big screen, I'd be at the movie theater.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Real men have enough storage to rip everything to full iso ;-)

Or we we think wink.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #14 of 16 Old 06-12-2013, 12:19 PM

Liked: 147
FLexRAID...there is your problem... wink.gif
post #15 of 16 Old 06-13-2013, 11:10 AM

Liked: 15
PDVD 10, and XBMC 12. Backup with AnyDVD.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
TMT 5.3.1.144 in Windows 8-64 and 7-64, for BDs, 3D with menues and HD-DVDs.

The standalone application works (with Any DVD running and occasional non-critical glitches); the WMC version is hopeless.

WMC for everything else.

Used to have PDVD10 on Win7 for the frame-rate conversion feature and good dvd upscaling, but gave up on it and did not re-install it after the Win 8 upgrade.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page