HTPC sends no sound to receiver with projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-12-2013, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this is a common question, but a search did not help me out much.

I have a laptop I have been using as an HTPC connected to Dennon and Pioneer receivers for a year or so. Displaying on my plasma there is no problems. I got a new projector (Sharp z30k) and am attempting to set it up through my receiver with the HTPC as a source through HDMI. The problem is I cannot get the computer to send sound to the receiver once the projector is hooked up. It was all good as I was doing setup and calibration of the receiver with just the pc connected, but as soon as I hook up the Projector, the pc fails to recognize the receiver as capable of audio, and seems to send only a video signal, the end result being I only get sound out of my crappy laptop speakers. I go to the audio setup and it shows my pioneer 1222k as disconnected, even though it is sending video through it and out my projector. I have the exact same problem with the Dennon 3808ci.

I am using a NVIDIA 460m in my laptop, HDMI out to receiver then out to projector. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Hmmm,
Laptop, so only one HDMI out. You could just hook an RCA cable for stereo as a quick-fix - but that won't solve the problem. For some reason, the projector is probably passing information back that it is not audio capable. Not a problem that I have had to fix.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-12-2013, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

Hmmm,
Laptop, so only one HDMI out. You could just hook an RCA cable for stereo as a quick-fix - but that won't solve the problem. For some reason, the projector is probably passing information back that it is not audio capable. Not a problem that I have had to fix.

My thoughts as well. I looked in the projector menu to see if there was some setting to enable speakers or some such so the pc would send audio, but no luck. Apparantly it must not be a big problem in the projector world, but I cannot beleive I am the only one who has run across it.

I do have a beast of a gaming PC with two GTX 480s that I could hook up as a test. It has two HDMI outs, but that is a last resort. Its liquid cooled and loud and a large eyesore, and no blu-ray player to boot.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

I just looked in the Devices menu and it has my 1222k listed as a display using a "generic PnP monitor" driver.mad.gif
post #5 of 9 Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
so, with you laptop, go to control panel> sound.
Select nvidia hdmi audio and make it your default device.
have you tried this with the receiver on?
post #6 of 9 Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ya, that's another kicker. I have to UNPLUG the projector HDMI from the receiver to get the pc to recognize it as an audio device again, even if the power is off to the pj. I can unplug the projector and select the 1222k receiver as a default device for audio, and as soon as i plug the pj back in it recognizes that and thinks my receiver is a display. The audio menu in my pc will then show the "1222k high definition audio device" as unplugged.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-05-2014, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
bump!

Ok. Here I am a year later, replying in the hopes that somebody out there is listening. I'm having exactly this same problem with an old HP DV3-2155mx notebook and a Sony receiver. Nothing on the receiver, laptop, or projector seems to solve the problem. Pulling my hair out. Any help would be most appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerserker View Post
Ya, that's another kicker. I have to UNPLUG the projector HDMI from the receiver to get the pc to recognize it as an audio device again, even if the power is off to the pj. I can unplug the projector and select the 1222k receiver as a default device for audio, and as soon as i plug the pj back in it recognizes that and thinks my receiver is a display. The audio menu in my pc will then show the "1222k high definition audio device" as unplugged.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-05-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My guess is the settings in the AVR need to NOT PASS audio to the display.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-05-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I stopped screwing with HDMI audio\video from the PC through the receiver two years ago. It worked sometimes (using a full HTPC, mind you, not a laptop), but sometimes by screen wouldn't come back, etc. I gave up and hooked the HTPC directly to the TV and piped in digital audio from my $25 Asus DG soundcard via an optical connection to my receiver. Since I now (as of last week) use my PC for EVERYTHING (HD CATV and streaming from my server), it makes no difference to me how the signals get where they need to go. Before, I just suffered through grabbing the TV remote to change the source, if needed. That said, I had "the cord" cut for the last 2 years, so my PC was my only source anyway.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page