cutting the cable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-13-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am sure there has been a post in the past, but I was wondering with all the streaming of videos online is there a site that hosts streaming of live tv from here in the USA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-13-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernicoats View Post

I am sure there has been a post in the past, but I was wondering with all the streaming of videos online is there a site that hosts streaming of live tv from here in the USA.

That would be perfect. If there is something out there, I'd imagine it would be pretty illegal.

Cable companies need to be the ones to do this and since they love use renting their equipment....wink.gif
post #3 of 24 Old 06-13-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
You can "trim" the cable by not renting their crappy boxes and using a CableCARD tuner and WMC (for protected content only, otherwise other DVR software will work too). I do this to the tune of $28/month that allows me to up my package so I get more channels for the same price as my neighbor next door.

post #4 of 24 Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

You can "trim" the cable by not renting their crappy boxes and using a CableCARD tuner and WMC (for protected content only, otherwise other DVR software will work too). I do this to the tune of $28/month that allows me to up my package so I get more channels for the same price as my neighbor next door.

Ya I was going to suggest this but it didn't quite sound like what he wanted.

You pay $28/month for what exactly? Multiple cable cards?
post #5 of 24 Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
I'm guessing he is saving $28/mo vs renting the DVR.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Quote:

Ya I was going to suggest this but it didn't quite sound like what he wanted.

You pay $28/month for what exactly? Multiple cable cards?

This is legal and in excellent quality HD whereas steaming may not be.

I save $28/month over having two DVR's in my house. Charter charges $5/mo per STB and another $19.99/mo to activate DVR capabilities on the STB's (up to 4 then another $19.99/mo). I have an HTPC and an extender so that is $29.99/mo. A CableCARD, OTOH, is $2/mo. Hence the $28/mo savings. I can have two more extenders and save more per month but would have to buy the extenders of course. At the present time, my savings have paid for my equipment and it is all gravy. I have both of the Charter "Digi-tiers" which is $20/mo so my bill is $8/mo less than someone with the same programming and two Charter STB's with the DVR activated and I get a whole home DVR which Charter does not have.

post #7 of 24 Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is legal and in excellent quality HD whereas steaming may not be.

I save $28/month
over having two DVR's in my house. Charter charges $5/mo per STB and another $19.99/mo to activate DVR capabilities on the STB's (up to 4 then another $19.99/mo). I have an HTPC and an extender so that is $29.99/mo. A CableCARD, OTOH, is $2/mo. Hence the $28/mo savings. I can have two more extenders and save more per month but would have to buy the extenders of course. At the present time, my savings have paid for my equipment and it is all gravy. I have both of the Charter "Digi-tiers" which is $20/mo so my bill is $8/mo less than someone with the same programming and two Charter STB's with the DVR activated and I get a whole home DVR which Charter does not have.

Gotcha smile.gif
post #8 of 24 Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
We save $70/month off our Verizon FiOS bill by not using their DVR/STB's. With 6 TV's we would have had to have 1x DVR at $20/month + 5x HD STB's at $10/month each = $70/month. Instead, we just pay $65 for the HD Prime Triple play (internet, phone, and TV) and $3.99/month for the CableCard rental. Total bill comes out to about $75/month with taxes.

Cutting cord would cost about the same if not more, since naked FiOS internet from Verizon is about $60/month, and then you have to pay, Hulu Plus (unless you want to wait a week or 2 for the freebies to show up), Netflix, Amazon Prime, VooDoo...

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #9 of 24 Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm working on testing components that may allow me to eliminate TV and phone from my monthly bill. If I can eliminate TV and phone but retain Internet, my monthly bill would go from $190 to ~$60. The phone portion should be easy, incoming calls from a google voice # can be translated by an obi adapter. Google voice has very sophisticated call handling and voicemail features.

The harder part is TV. I began by making a listing of all programs we'd like to watch or record. They include the traditional 3 networks, usa, pbs, espn3, etc. Then, I looked at streaming and OTH alternatives
- hulu offers a great number of our tv programs, but doesn't offer specific programs such as burn notice
- some tv is available for cost at amazon
- I can buy an over the air OTH antenna and receive the big three, pbs, and few other networks (local fox, cw, etc)
- many tv networks offer content (CBS, NBC, ABC, TvLand, etc). You have to check this carefully and to make sure that shows are available.
- aereo will soon offer OTH channels for my home town as streaming content

Now, the question is - how do I present this content in a way that doesn't drive my wife crazy? The option I'm exploring is to use plex server and plex media client. I'm running plex server on my synology NAS (4TB) to index TV, movies, music, and photos. Plex client (windows, *nix, samsung tv) can be used to present a menu of tv recordings, movies, photos, etc.

I've run into a content few problems after my first week of experimentation. Some of the plex add-ons such as hulu and netflix that rely on proprietary logic like flash or silverlight do not work. Other plugins for CBS, NBC, comedy central are fine. Although local OTH TV signals are very high quality, integration of a channel guide and presentation on plex media client are difficult. I may end up with a dual client configuration that uses plex AND a browser such as kylos.

The other problems is that while it seems like a good idea to establish a redundant single media source, wireless may not be up to the job of streaming to my TV's. The highdef stream from one of the local VHS channels is ~19Mbps and I've found that I have to be very close to the router to sustain this stream. I'll have to look into a media router, cat 6 cabling, or powerline.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Twice over the last year I made a list of how many OTA vs satellite programs I watched over a 4 week period and 80% of what we watch is OTA.

I admit to watching too much TV & should be content with the OTA. But it's those 1 or 2 programs a week on Discovery, USA, etc that I would miss. Hulu has some programs but I could not get them in HD and/or would have to wait a week or two. So it's that remaining 20% that has me hanging onto satellite, which was cheaper than Comcast.

I can get a triple play package from Comcast, but not for $75/month. The last time Comcast approached me it was about $100/month and went up after the introductory period. That was with one HD DVR and no premium movie channels. So I took a pass.

It would be nice to cut the cable/satellite but so far that's a tough call for me to make.
post #11 of 24 Old 06-15-2013, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxguymd View Post

I'm working on testing components that may allow me to eliminate TV and phone from my monthly bill. If I can eliminate TV and phone but retain Internet, my monthly bill would go from $190 to ~$60. The phone portion should be easy, incoming calls from a google voice # can be translated by an obi adapter. Google voice has very sophisticated call handling and voicemail features.

The harder part is TV. I began by making a listing of all programs we'd like to watch or record. They include the traditional 3 networks, usa, pbs, espn3, etc. Then, I looked at streaming and OTH alternatives
- hulu offers a great number of our tv programs, but doesn't offer specific programs such as burn notice
- some tv is available for cost at amazon
- I can buy an over the air OTH antenna and receive the big three, pbs, and few other networks (local fox, cw, etc)
- many tv networks offer content (CBS, NBC, ABC, TvLand, etc). You have to check this carefully and to make sure that shows are available.
- aereo will soon offer OTH channels for my home town as streaming content

Now, the question is - how do I present this content in a way that doesn't drive my wife crazy? The option I'm exploring is to use plex server and plex media client. I'm running plex server on my synology NAS (4TB) to index TV, movies, music, and photos. Plex client (windows, *nix, samsung tv) can be used to present a menu of tv recordings, movies, photos, etc.

I've run into a content few problems after my first week of experimentation. Some of the plex add-ons such as hulu and netflix that rely on proprietary logic like flash or silverlight do not work. Other plugins for CBS, NBC, comedy central are fine. Although local OTH TV signals are very high quality, integration of a channel guide and presentation on plex media client are difficult. I may end up with a dual client configuration that uses plex AND a browser such as kylos.

The other problems is that while it seems like a good idea to establish a redundant single media source, wireless may not be up to the job of streaming to my TV's. The highdef stream from one of the local VHS channels is ~19Mbps and I've found that I have to be very close to the router to sustain this stream. I'll have to look into a media router, cat 6 cabling, or powerline.

You might be able to get Burn Notice (although they would be past seasons) on your local MyTVNetwork.

You'd be better off running WMC with some XBOX 360 extenders. This would give you access to Live and Recorded TV plus both Hulu Plus and Netflilx. Although you would need Xbox Live Gold for the last two.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

So it's that remaining 20% that has me hanging onto satellite, which was cheaper than Comcast.

My wife and I were in a similar situation and cut the cord anyway a year ago. You might surprise yourself as to how not important that 20% really is. Lots of the shows we used to watch are not available on OTA, Netflix or Hulu. We cut the the amount of TV we watch and started watching other things.
jeffkro likes this.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-16-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide View Post

My wife and I were in a similar situation and cut the cord anyway a year ago. You might surprise yourself as to how not important that 20% really is. Lots of the shows we used to watch are not available on OTA, Netflix or Hulu. We cut the the amount of TV we watch and started watching other things.

I keep thinking about dropping satellite, but there's always some program that gets my attention. For example, Discover Channel has a 7 part series on North America. Gorgeous scenery & fantastic closeups. Looks really nice in HD. I'm not quite ready to cut the cord.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Depends on what and how much you want live. If broadcast stations can cover your live needs for things like news, relevant sports, etc....then just use an antenna or else the ~$20 base extremely limited pretty much locals only cable tier (which is sometimes difficult to get them to give you but no real reason for them not to), then use Netflix and/or Hulu for the rest of your regular content. Netflix is on about everything these days including WMC so its pretty well integrated. Hulu on the other hand has more mainstream tv shows and more recent (I think I remember seeing next day for a lot of shows). You have downloaded stuff as well if you are into that. As far as Antenna vs base cable tier goes...unless you live in a location where you can get all your locals easily and strong, i'd go the cable route as the ~$20 the bottom tier runs is usually only about $10 net considering you get the cheaper subscriber rate for internet vs stand alone. With antenna, that gets you a good amount and decent mix of content for $20/mo if you do both Netflix and Hulu, half of that with just one of the 2. With cable supplied locals, should still be about $30/mo. Now if you gotta have your episodes of Ice Road Truckers, House Hunters, Honey Boo Boo, etc as soon as they air, you pretty much are stuck with a normal cable or sat lineup and the price that goes with.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-16-2013, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I keep thinking about dropping satellite, but there's always some program that gets my attention. For example, Discover Channel has a 7 part series on North America. Gorgeous scenery & fantastic closeups. Looks really nice in HD. I'm not quite ready to cut the cord.

How many shows like that would truly be must see right when they come out? A lot of shows like that do end up on Netflix and Hulu eventually....and those type series also make it onto disc as well, so for an occasional event like that, especially when it's because of the eye candy, you could just pick up on disc and see it on even better bitrate 1080p vs broadcast 1080i....and still come out ahead in the end vs what a full lineup costs.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-16-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernicoats View Post

Yeah there is, its not in every market yet. They "rent" out TV antenna's that you then stream over the net. They were in fact sued by the networks but the courts ruled in favor of the streaming service.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-16-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide View Post

If there is something you just have to have you can usually just buy it through iTunes or Amazon, this is Game of Thrones for me. The main sticking point is for people that are really into sports.
post #18 of 24 Old 06-16-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

Well, if you're feeling adventurous, this show is available on the 'ol torrents in both 720p and 1080p quality. biggrin.gif
post #19 of 24 Old 06-16-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Yeah there is, its not in every market yet. They "rent" out TV antenna's that you then stream over the net. They were in fact sued by the networks but the courts ruled in favor of the streaming service.

I don't believe most cases have gone to trial at this point. Some courts have simply refused to put an injunction in place (ahead of time). However some states have already made such service illegal before it was even being offered.

Regarding cutting the cord as a two-timer for roughly three years if you are a fairly heavy TV watcher based on your desired content you might be served via OTA and again you might not be at all. Such as if sports are on the table.

I'm OTA only (using WMC) and I only record the major networks as the fringe channels do not offer any content I'll catch. Over the years I found most of the time I have more recordings than I can keep up with. Especially, with four tuners and having the ability to record various shows airing at the same time. Sunday and Monday nights often have three or four shows and other nights not so much.

I float around 30 - 40 series scheduled and obviously they air at different times of the year. The only lulls I notice is around holidays and between seasons such as when the fall line-up ends and the summer one begins. Those can be offset with picking up Netflix, movie rentals or whatnot. Right now is one of those times and I picked up Netflix and have caught or will be catching the next to last season of Mad Men, House of Cards, Weeds along with a few other series and a couple of movies. The 1080p video/5.1 audio is very nice and virtually impossible to tell any difference from my network recordings. Now I don't view such on my 120 inch screen rather my 61 in the den... so I'm not saying it's Blu-ray... neither is my OTA.

I'll probably cancel Netflix after the month as I'll pretty much catch up with the shows they offer I've missed and my recording volume will pick up to the point I'm falling behind. OTA networks certainly don't have the depth of pay TV but as long as quality shows like The Good Wife is around and you have enough interest in their programming mix it can serve you well...

post #20 of 24 Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17chief View Post

How many shows like that would truly be must see right when they come out? A lot of shows like that do end up on Netflix and Hulu eventually....and those type series also make it onto disc as well, so for an occasional event like that, especially when it's because of the eye candy, you could just pick up on disc and see it on even better bitrate 1080p vs broadcast 1080i....and still come out ahead in the end vs what a full lineup costs.

Maybe I'd save a few dollars by buying discs & using Netflix. But Netflix streaming is not HD and neither is Hulu. Would I like to save some money, of course I would. Currently my satellite bill fits in the budget so I'm still hanging on. But going 100% OTA is still on my mind.
post #21 of 24 Old 06-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
First, you'll adjust your family and you will adjust your viewing habits based on whatever content is available. I've lived where I only had about seven channels that came in OTA and three completely clear, the rest various levels of snow, to over a hundred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxguymd View Post

I...
Now, the question is - how do I present this content in a way that doesn't drive my wife crazy? The option I'm exploring is to use plex server and plex media client. I'm running plex server on my synology NAS (4TB) to index TV, movies, music, and photos. Plex client (windows, *nix, samsung tv) can be used to present a menu of tv recordings, movies, photos, etc. ....

Whatever you doing to do, it'll be a learning curve for the wife. So, you're going to have some driving her nuts. If you have a Windows machine, I would use the Plex interface within Media Center. It's nothing more than a short to Plex Desktop or Home Theater. When you close Plex it goes back to Media Center. Along the same lines, there is probably a similar add on for Netflix and Hulu.

The other option is to get some kind of set top box such as Roku. Plex works well with it. It has a good Netflix interface; it's a lot better than on a PC. Hulu Plus is has a good interface too, but you need Hulu Plus for access not on a PC, and not all content is available for non-PC viewing; licensing issues. Plex can play WTV files (the format that Media Center records TV on), but fast forwarding and rewinding don't work well; you can do the 30 or 60 second skip.

As for sports, it can be had. Unfortunately, it can eat away a lot of the savings. Now a days, most sports leagues have some sort of online viewing option. They cost anywhere from $100 to $300 per season. And for black restrictions, the use of a VPN is critical, which is another cost. There are other sites such as frontpagesports, justintv, ustream, and so forth, but the quality is all over the place, and sometimes what you want just isn't being uploaded.

Personally, I'm sports nut. I watch NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MotoGP, and ESPN3. I also use a VPN and subscribe to all those. Since I was starting to get them anyway with cable service because of the house I keep, I still save money.
post #22 of 24 Old 06-16-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe I'd save a few dollars by buying discs & using Netflix. But Netflix streaming is not HD and neither is Hulu. Would I like to save some money, of course I would. Currently my satellite bill fits in the budget so I'm still hanging on. But going 100% OTA is still on my mind.

I think you might be surprised. Watching shows on netflix is addicting, you get watch a whole season as a continuous story rather than broken up from week to week or what have you. I have both netflix and my HTPC is OTA DVR, but I prefer the netflix experience. Streaming content is without a doubt the future and the cable companies need to realize it and figure out how to make a profit model from it. If not they will have the same fate the music industry had trying to push CD's when people want MP3's.
post #23 of 24 Old 06-16-2013, 08:52 PM

Liked: 11
my wife and I dumped dish and went to Hulu Plus / Netflix streaming and haven't looked back. I don't miss it, at all. Went from paying $63.95/mo to paying $16. I use a hand-me-down antenna to bring OTA HD into the house, record it with the HTPC, distribute it to xbox 360 in the bedroom, and stream everything else I need. I currently have about 4 years worth of shows to watch...I doubt I'll ever get to all of them. Long story short: way less money in the long run and all the entertainment I'll ever be able to watch.
post #24 of 24 Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have Netflix at the moment but know someone that does. I'll have to see what current TV programs they have. I really never looked at the TV programs because I had satellite. I know when I tried to find somewhat new movies that Netflix streaming was pretty limited. They had a lot more new movies on DVD & Blu-ray at the time.

I have 3 Mbs DSL, the fastest I can get in my area, & could never get the highest quality Netflix streaming. It looked OK at the time, but I had a smaller TV back then. PQ is a concern with slow broadband. If I have to pay $45-$50/month for high speed Comcast internet plus Netflix and/or Hulu then I might as well stay with Dish.

I'm not trying to be negative about cutting the cord, I just don't know if I'd be satisfied with the options.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page