htpc + whs, all in one possible ? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 07-02-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Just because support ends does not mean that the product quits working. I have some software ten years old that I still use every day because I'm too cheap to pay for an upgrade, especially when what I have now does what I need it to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Of course you can continue to use it if you like. Just no security update. smile.gif Personally I don't recommend such an OS to anybody.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 56 Old 07-02-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

So you'd be better off with Win7 because it has extended support until 2020? Of course it isn't a server with RAID either but I use it as such because this is merely movies and I'd rather have more space than redundant drives as it will not be the end of the world if I loose a drive.

post #34 of 56 Old 07-02-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Of course you can continue to use it if you like. Just no security update. smile.gif Personally I don't recommend such an OS to anybody.

I run MSE on my WHS server. No issues at all and it updates just like my other Windows machines. Its a great OS for those not wanting to pay $100+ for Windows 7/8 (it was $30 this week on Newegg).

post #35 of 56 Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

No security update after 4/12/2016. (Do I have to repeat this?) I just gave information. It's up to each person what OS he/she chooses (that would depend on several factors, end of support is one of them).

-

-
post #36 of 56 Old 07-02-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No security update after 4/12/2016. (Do I have to repeat this?) I just gave information. It's up to each person what OS he/she chooses (that would depend on several factors, end of support is one of them).

3 years in the future is an eternity in the PC world.

But you are correct that its up to each to decide. For me a $30 solution that works extremely well for a server is definitely a contender.

post #37 of 56 Old 07-02-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

If MSE works that is good but I think renathx is talking about back door holes in the OS type of security issues that seem to come out months and years down the road in the OS' lifespan.

post #38 of 56 Old 07-02-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

If MSE works that is good but I think renathx is talking about back door holes in the OS type of security issues that seem to come out months and years down the road in the OS' lifespan.

Is taking your server off the internet and just on your local intranet (home network) not a solution? I know a lot of people on AVS do this.

post #39 of 56 Old 07-02-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

3 years in the future is an eternity in the PC world.

OS is different from other software pieces (e.g. media player) and hardware components. For example Windows 7 is already 4 year old, but perhaps almost nobody thinks it's outdated (except me smile.gif). Moreover changing OS to a new one (no upgrade path in the case of WHS2011 of course) is often a lot more laborious than changing hardware components. Basically you have to design and build a new system from scratch.

WHS2011 is a dead end product. Sooner or later you will have to build a new system UNLESS you run it offline. smile.gif

-

-
post #40 of 56 Old 07-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Just because support ends does not mean that the product quits working. I have some software ten years old that I still use every day because I'm too cheap to pay for an upgrade, especially when what I have now does what I need it to do.
Yep, big businesses still run xp.
post #41 of 56 Old 07-02-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

Yep, big businesses still run xp.

Big business still run XP just because support is still there, until 4/8/2014. They won't use XP machines connected to Internet after that.

-

-
post #42 of 56 Old 07-02-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
WHS2011 will still work a few years from now. Upgrading to a new version is not a big deal in a few years either.

Am I the only one missing the whole point ?

It doesn't seem a big deal to install an OS. Perhaps I am numb to it ??? And a few years seems like such a long time. And - even if you used WHS2011 in a few years after the MS support stops do you really think people are going to hack your server and steal your movies ? LOL!

No one cares about me enough is my guess. All this fear is misplaced IMO.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #43 of 56 Old 07-02-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Am I the only one missing the whole point ?

Of course you are not missing the whole point "for you", considering you always seek for the latest technologies and/or you have a fun building a new system frequently. smile.gif But not everyone is like you.

Personally I would go this route. Choose an OS whose support is a lot longer (Win 7 or 8 is a good choice, or WS2012E if you don't mind spending more, or Linux, of course) and let it run as long as you like. A media storage server is relatively static, it doesn't have to be changed frequently, besides adding more HDDs.

One of WHS2011's unique features is client backup and bare metal restore (WS2012E also support it). If you want this feature, running it on a VM is a quick, smarter solution, IMO, as the op thought (a VM can be erased anytime without affecting the host). Or if the cost doesn't matter for you, just go with WS2012E, whose support will last until 1/10/2023. (It looks like lots of people in this forum are choosing WS2012E.)

All of these stuff (including opinion on security update) are more or less of personal preference and discussing what's the best (or better) universally makes no sense. So I stop here.

-

-
post #44 of 56 Old 07-03-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Your right like usual smile.gif - except running whs2011 on virtual machine seems more advanced than upgrading whs in 3 years at end of life support.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #45 of 56 Old 07-03-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Personally three years seems like a long time. And upgrading your server OS on SSD should not effect your data or data drives.

-

post #46 of 56 Old 07-03-2013, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
egg has the HDHR on sale, so looks like I wont need the tv card now, fans came in and are very quite at full speed, updating windows and adding MC, ive had network imaging for the local pc's setup before and it seemed to work well so ill just use that, from my exp with whs 2011 the connector was always warning of problems with virus and spyware on the locals and other issues, I really don't need 2 backups per day, and the sleep/wake from sleep never worked no mater the settings in windows or bios with whs, win 8 just works.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345007&Tpk=hdhr&IsVirtualParent=1
post #47 of 56 Old 07-15-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

having some issues I haven't be able to locate the source, power on the system and at times it doesn't post, other times it completes post and loads windows fine, when no post everything seems to power on but no text on the screen and no beep from the speaker, perform a hard shutdown and power on again I get the beep from the speaker and text on screen but post halts complaining of overclock failure press F1 to run setup, if it happens twice then windows wants to repair itself, I am not overclocking at all, cmos reset battery out run setup again and still same problems, doesn't happen all the time.

P8B WS with E3 1230V2
Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600 2Gb X 4
10 Sata HD
Ati 4670 Vid card
M1015 SAS Card
Enermax NAXN 450 watt Psu
post #48 of 56 Old 07-16-2013, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

looks like memory incompatibility was the issue, post and win load on every startup.
post #49 of 56 Old 07-16-2013, 08:18 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Windows 8 should be the host (otherwise playing back videos won't work adequately). There are tons of short guides to installing WHS2011 on VirtualBox VM (with various host OS). E.g. Deploying Windows Home Server 2011 with Oracle VirtualBox and a Drobo S (the host OS is Win7). More Google. Many people use WHS2011 on VM to back up client PCs at home, just like you.

VirtualBox is a free VM from Oracle. Client Hyper-V is built in Win8 (enable it in Control Panel > Programs > "Turn Windows features on or off") with similar functions.

thanks for the info, i am going to look into this as i would like to do the same thing as op.
post #50 of 56 Old 07-16-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Regarding support for a server OS... You shouldn't be browsing the web from your server, and as long as you are behind a decent firewall with no forwarded ports to the server OS, it's bullet-proof.
post #51 of 56 Old 07-16-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Regarding support for a server OS... You shouldn't be browsing the web from your server, and as long as you are behind a decent firewall with no forwarded ports to the server OS, it's bullet-proof.

I agree with you. I don't see why this is an issue either.

post #52 of 56 Old 07-18-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

I always thought the same thing.

The locked explorer in WHS was always an annoyance of mine.

-

post #53 of 56 Old 07-19-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

on the hunt for mb with similar features to the P8B WS , the first was doa, the replacement has issues I could not solve after other memory and psu , that and one of the wd red drives doa have hindered the build and caused an extended delay, should have stayed with the 775 sys, and apparently the intel C206 chip and ivy bridge don't get along well with 1600 memory, so more rma time along with another route.
post #54 of 56 Old 12-10-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

so finally up and running with some changes to hardware, went with win 8.1 Pro w/MC X64, using Drive Bender for pooling and Hard Disk Sentinel for disk monitoring with email alert, sys has been very stable, all local network and wireless pc's are backing up to the server without issues, using HDHR for network tuner and recording WMC non protected content at the server, Roku at the main 50" hard wired and at 32" bdroom over wireless, so getting very close to completing my project without having to use virtualization.

1 problem exist that I would solve, I have Plex setup on the server and the app on the Roku's, as long as I am logged in the Roku's can see and stream the recorded tv from the server, if I log out Plex on the Roku's
cant stream from the server, really don't want to stay logged in just for the Roku's, apparently Plex doesn't run as a Service and if doest look like its a feature that will be added to Plex, is there some way that's clean and safe to allow access to the content with out being logged in all the time ?

Asus P8C WS 1155 intel 206
E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30Ghz
Lsi 9220-8i Megaraid card flashed to 1911 it
Samsung SSD 840 120GB
3-WD Red 2 tb sata hd's
2-Wd Black 1 tb sata hd's
16GB KVR Non EEC
ATi HD 4600 PCIE
Win 8.1 Pro MC X64
post #55 of 56 Old 12-10-2013, 09:50 AM

Liked: 18
Are you running the trial versions of Hard Disk Sentinel and Home version of Drive Bender?
post #56 of 56 Old 12-10-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec4 View Post

Are you running the trial versions of Hard Disk Sentinel and Home version of Drive Bender?

Full registered professional version of hard disk sentinel, and Drive Bender Home, quite happy with both.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page