**** So you've built your HTPC-NOW WHAT IS NEXT ?? How to get the "ULTIMATE" picture and sound quality from your HTPC !!!! (MADVR? SVP? XBMC? Mediabrowser? Jriver? ) - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #751 of 768 Old 06-24-2014, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
How about MB Server + XBMC with XBMB3C plugin + MPC-BE/PowerDVD? MB Server can be installed on a dedicated media server or an all-in-one system.
Wow, it looks like a complex setup.
I guess you launch MPC-HC/MadVR and PowerDVD as external players from XBMC right? How do you control those applications? With a mobile device or IR remote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 768 Old 06-24-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 663
You can use a mobile device, or an IR remote. Both work great. remotes for bluray player software like power DVD can be more challenging, but controlling XBMC or Mediabrowser is pretty straigh forward. The guide at the top of the forum in "stickies" for MPC-HC should walk you through the set up of that well.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #753 of 768 Old 06-24-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
MB server is the key... it lets you do so much more. I love the ROKU support and APP, and the ipad app is awesome too. The iphone app is ok. The web interface is outstanding. I would't want to give up any of these, so I second ReneTHX suggestions. MB3 server is a good foundation for a lot of things. You can use WMC and MB3 Classic if you want DVR and WMC functionality- it looks and works great and you can even set up external players like POwerDVD, or TMT for Disc/ISO support with menus or 3D- and you can set up external player like MPC-HC (or BE) with MadVR/SVP and whatever. If you don't like WMC or MBclassic you have more options. For those that prefer XBMC for whatever reason you can feed XBMC from MB3 server and retain your XBMC interface (called XBMB3C) - and if you want the better player you can still configure external players. Or for those that want to stay in the MB3 family MB3Theater supports MadVR and LAV audio and Vs filters and runs native with MB3 server with a single install and it's very easy to set up. It's only beta still but it's very promising too. And you can even use external players with that too. Lots of options. WMC fans will like classic, XBMC guys will like XBMC (XBMB3C), and MB3 fans will like the MB3 project flagship "Theater" product. All three are good options and all three will support external players too (although MBtheater supports madvr).

I would imagine almost anyone could find happiness with one of those options^. And you can even use them all, in different places. That is the strength of MB server IMO. I could have one of each type of system in my house, or I could have an HTPC that had all three solutions on it and they would work seamlessly. No reason you need to only have 1. Without MB3 server you would lose a lot of functionality and multi product support for tablets, ROKU, phones and all that too. You'd give up transcoding and remote access too. MB3 project is advanced past PLEX at this point.

The ROKU app craps all over the PLEX ROKU app. One last thing left is for MB3 to fix the Fast Forward and Rewind (in process) and after that it's really not a contest which is better. PLEX developers blame the limited ROKU OS code but the MB3 ROKU app in the beta channel proves a lot more can be done with good developers and creative out of the box thinking. I could write a book on the small details the ROKU app for MB3 gets right while the PLEX app gets it wrong. MB3 server does so much more in terms of metadata, notifications, trailers, actors images and bio, metadata management, it has a way nicer user interface too. MB server is clearly better than PLEX server. And I think MB front ends are better than the PLEX front ends generally. At first I used PLEX more because it was straight forward and just works, but recently MB is emerging as the clear favorite - it is also becoming a lot more straight forward and easy to use and set up- and the beta problems are fixed quickly and the project keeps advancing rapidly. XBMC or PLEX never showed the promise that MB3 does, and the lightning fast blitzkrieg of apps and features is amazing and doesn't seem to stop. Even long term hardcore XBMC front end users should find value in MB3 platform.
I'm trying MB3 now, bot MBS and MBT. I have already flooded MB support forum with many questions. I agree a server that host all meta data and provide streaming service to other devices is a must today, and I also think MB3 is more promising than Plex. When MBT matures, it will also be a killer client with the best PQ with MadVR/VS filter/LAVF.
However I do have several issues with MB3 which will prevent me from using it as a production system:
1) It doesn't support subtitles in other encoding scheme. XBMC isn't flexible in terms of subtitle support either, but at least I can manually configure the encoding. MediaPortal uses MPC-HC subtitle engine which I think is the best subtitle engine which choose right encoding automatically based on language
2) The iOS app isn't as good as plex which support both streaming to the mobile device as well as controlling the Plex theater.

I love MB3, and I definitely hope it will be better.
post #754 of 768 Old 06-24-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

iOS for ipad or iphone ? There is two apps, The iphone app I believe is currently being improved. The ipad app is pretty good though.

For subtitles how are you doing it ? I see a lot of people with subtitle problems and I don't understand why. I don't have any. I have mine set to English and forced subs only. Did you install any extra plugins for subtitles ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #755 of 768 Old 06-24-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
iOS for ipad or iphone ? There is two apps, The iphone app I believe is currently being improved. The ipad app is pretty good though.

For subtitles how are you doing it ? I see a lot of people with subtitle problems and I don't understand why. I don't have any. I have mine set to English and forced subs only. Did you install any extra plugins for subtitles ?
Sorry iPhone I meant. I normally need subtitle in my home language (traditional chinese), and those subtitles are unfortunately not utf-8 encoded, they are GBK or BIG5 encoded. If MB3 tries to render the subtitle in utf-8, I will only see question marks.
post #756 of 768 Old 06-24-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The iphone app could be better. But I don't use it much anyways, I use ipad a lot more.

-

post #757 of 768 Old 07-04-2014, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Does anyone know the max settings for madVR in the iGPU4600 in my 4770?
It appears I may have another stuffed mobo (Z87 Extreme 4) as installing either of my 7790's gets me no video, either from the mobo or the GPU card. If someone might have an idea of what settings I've missed/stuffed up, please feel free to comment.
post #758 of 768 Old 07-04-2014, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 51
gpu power connector and uefi setup
post #759 of 768 Old 07-04-2014, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
gpu power connector and uefi setup
It's a new PSU so I assume it's OK - it was plugged in. In UEFI I have it set to Primary Graphics Adaptor - PCIe (it's in the correct slot too) set as per the pic. I'm sure it's the way I did it last time referencing Assassin's blog. Have I missed something?

iGPU is enabled in my settings.

post #760 of 768 Old 07-04-2014, 02:00 AM

the pc is still booting?
i mean you don't get a picture at all right?
have you connected both gpu at the same time maybe windows is trying to send a signal over VGA have you tried the onboard VGA connector if present.
post #761 of 768 Old 07-04-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Have you taken a look at the AMD catalyst control center? It is software that came with the 7790.

I am guessing you have both a monitor and a display connected to one computer using HDMI cables. But it would be helpful if you first explain your video setup in more detail.
post #762 of 768 Old 07-04-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Turn on multi monitor. Hook up mobo oft to monitor 1. Hook up GPU to second monitor. Try installing it and getting to to work as second monitor inside windows. Then unplug the mobo side after it's working. You don't even see bios on the boot up ? Or just windows is black screen ?

-

post #763 of 768 Old 07-04-2014, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
Does anyone know the max settings for madVR in the iGPU4600 in my 4770?
It appears I may have another stuffed mobo (Z87 Extreme 4) as installing either of my 7790's gets me no video, either from the mobo or the GPU card. If someone might have an idea of what settings I've missed/stuffed up, please feel free to comment.
To answer your question it depends on your set up. Is it a k chip ? Do you have really fast/good ram ? If you are rocking 2400mhz+ of the good stuff and a k chip you can over-clock the iGPU pretty well and step up one level on MadVR. It will work for film (easier) which for a lot of people is enough to make them happy.

-

post #764 of 768 Old 07-04-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 341
The chip does not have to be K, memory / GPU overclocking is always supported with Z87/Z97 chipset. In this old post I overclocked Celeron G530 iGPU (6EUs)/memory with Z68 chipset and in this post Core i3-2105 iGPU (12EUs)/memory.

Last edited by renethx; 07-04-2014 at 11:31 AM.
post #765 of 768 Old 07-04-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I stand corrected then. So yeah.. overclocked your iGPU and RAM whatever safe amount you can and you should be able to step up one level on madvr film. Refer to renethx charts earlier using HD4000 and just go another step up and try that first. If you get bad results step down... 4600 overclocked should go a bit farther than the HD4000 so you should be safe. I think I got to the old level 4 on mine before I put the GPU back in.

-

post #766 of 768 Old 07-09-2014, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So are there any HDMI 2.0 graphic cards on the horizon? HDMI 2.0 AVRs are coming out, but we dont have equal GPUs..
post #767 of 768 Old 07-09-2014, 03:15 AM

all nvidia kampler and better gpu can send a hdmi 2.0 4:2:0@UHD signal to a hdmi 2.0 TV and a lot of TV doesn't take more than 4:2:0 anyway.

wait for proper UHD TV first and get a GPU when it's time for them. the panasonic got DP and can be used right away.
Mfusick likes this.
post #768 of 768 Old 07-22-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
So are there any HDMI 2.0 graphic cards on the horizon? HDMI 2.0 AVRs are coming out, but we dont have equal GPUs..
Nope. We are in transition period.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page