**** So you've built your HTPC-NOW WHAT IS NEXT ?? How to get the "ULTIMATE" picture and sound quality from your HTPC !!!! (MADVR? SVP? XBMC? Mediabrowser? Jriver? ) - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 817 Old 09-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
rickcfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Renethx ,you have a new card to test AMD R9 285 It has a new UVD engine for 4K. Wonder how accurate 23.976 hz is with AMD cards.
rickcfer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 817 Old 09-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
mightyhuhn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post
Renethx ,you have a new card to test AMD R9 285 It has a new UVD engine for 4K. Wonder how accurate 23.976 hz is with AMD cards.
it's about time for AMD to get UHD decoding oh wait they said they support this with older cards too.
and the clock is not that easy of an topic. it's different from card to card and if you don't use HDMI or DP you get a other clock that is different and there is still the system clock...
mightyhuhn is offline  
post #813 of 817 Old 09-02-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post
Renethx ,you have a new card to test AMD R9 285 It has a new UVD engine for 4K. Wonder how accurate 23.976 hz is with AMD cards.

Dang and to think in building 2 separate new HTPC's in the last month for different 4K projector setups and I ended up putting an R290 in one and R290X in the other.

I've never had any issue with perfectly accurate 23.976 with any AMD cards since my initial 7950 after several generations of Nvidia (can't remember what gen ATI Radeon I would have had before that).

On the issue of settings for upper end AMD. I've experimented but really just followed Renethx's suggestions for level 5 and can't help wondering with there not being that many guys out there with say the 290X in their system, what settings would push things to the limit with 1080p playback of 720p and 1080p files (hamstrung by AVR since getting rid of Denon 4520 for McIntosh MX)?


Last edited by OzHDHT; 09-02-2014 at 06:48 PM.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #814 of 817 Old 09-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Senior Member
 
rickcfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Dang and to think in building 2 separate new HTPC's in the last month for different 4K projector setups and I ended up putting an R290 in one and R290X in the other.

I've never had any issue with perfectly accurate 23.976 with any AMD cards since my initial 7950 after several generations of Nvidia (can't remember what gen ATI Radeon I would have had before that).

On the issue of settings for upper end AMD. I've experimented but really just followed Renethx's suggestions for level 5 and can't help wondering with there not being that many guys out there with say the 290X in their system, what settings would push things to the limit with 1080p playback of 720p and 1080p files (hamstrung by AVR since getting rid of Denon 4520 for McIntosh MX)?
Quoted from Guru3d.com R9 285 review ""The Radeon R9 285 is AMD’s first discrete GPU with a redesigned fixed-function decoder (UVD – Unified Video Decoder) that supports full hardware decode of 4K H.264 videos. This next generation UVD supports H.264 base, main and high profile, up to level 5.2. The chart below shows the benefit of having a fixed-function decoder :

The primary benefit of having a fixed-function decoder, especially for high bit-rate 4K content, is the significantly reduced CPU utilization. This results in a more responsive system, lower battery life ( for mobile products ) and more importantly, the system will not exhibit any skipped frames during playback.


The AMD Radeon R9 285 also features a redesigned fixed-function encoder ( VCE - Video Coding Engine ) that supports full hardware encoding to H.264 format. This version of VCE supports encoding to H.264 baseline and main profiles. The main use case for VCE is transcoding, which is very useful when the user wants to save on storage space as well as allow older, lower power devices (such as handhelds, laptops, etc.) to decode and playback their content at lower resolutions and/or lower bit-rate. The VCE works in concert with the powerful UVD in the Radeon R9 285 to accelerate the transcoding pipeline. The chart below shows the performance uplift expected compared to the competition:""
rickcfer is offline  
post #815 of 817 Old 09-02-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post
Quoted from Guru3d.com R9 285 review ""The Radeon R9 285 is AMD’s first discrete GPU with a redesigned fixed-function decoder (UVD – Unified Video Decoder) that supports full hardware decode of 4K H.264 videos. This next generation UVD supports H.264 base, main and high profile, up to level 5.2. The chart below shows the benefit of having a fixed-function decoder :

The primary benefit of having a fixed-function decoder, especially for high bit-rate 4K content, is the significantly reduced CPU utilization. This results in a more responsive system, lower battery life ( for mobile products ) and more importantly, the system will not exhibit any skipped frames during playback.


The AMD Radeon R9 285 also features a redesigned fixed-function encoder ( VCE - Video Coding Engine ) that supports full hardware encoding to H.264 format. This version of VCE supports encoding to H.264 baseline and main profiles. The main use case for VCE is transcoding, which is very useful when the user wants to save on storage space as well as allow older, lower power devices (such as handhelds, laptops, etc.) to decode and playback their content at lower resolutions and/or lower bit-rate. The VCE works in concert with the powerful UVD in the Radeon R9 285 to accelerate the transcoding pipeline. The chart below shows the performance uplift expected compared to the competition:""
Yep already read up several review sites already on the R285 looking for comments on the new 4K decoding. Most reviews aside from the one above are all focused on gaming capabilities as per usual.

OzHDHT is offline  
post #816 of 817 Old 09-02-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,188
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
On the issue of settings for upper end AMD. I've experimented but really just followed Renethx's suggestions for level 5 and can't help wondering with there not being that many guys out there with say the 290X in their system, what settings would push things to the limit with 1080p playback of 720p and 1080p files (hamstrung by AVR since getting rid of Denon 4520 for McIntosh MX)?
Playing HD/FHD movies in 4K display is relatively easy, even R9 270X can handle higher scaling algorithms such as NNEDI3 32. Only HD/FHD videos (and movies+SVP) will push 290X to the limit (2.5 times harder than movies), but you will need DisplayPort for this purpose. Or try Dithering > Error Diffusion, that's another heavy algorithm.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by renethx; 09-02-2014 at 09:41 PM.
renethx is offline  
post #817 of 817 Old 09-03-2014, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
Playing HD/FHD movies in 4K display is relatively easy, even R9 270X can handle higher scaling algorithms such as NNEDI3 32. Only HD/FHD videos (and movies+SVP) will push 290X to the limit (2.5 times harder than movies), but you will need DisplayPort for this purpose. Or try Dithering > Error Diffusion, that's another heavy algorithm.
Will be a little while before I'm scaling 4K again in both set ups thanks to current lack of pass-through (thinking when the new Marantz SSP's arrive I may jump back across). I was playing 4K when I purposely purchased the 7950 direct to the VW1000 projector I had at the time with very little issue. I guess it is a case now of do I push NNEDI3 any further with 1080p output in mind as I have noticed it struggles in situations with chroma doubling 32 Neurons or is it kind of pointless? I had recently experimented with Dithering Error Diffusion and noticed how it affected things - that wasn't on the 290 or 290X equipped PC though. As I hadn't read anything to promote dabbling in Error diffusion settings I left it alone.

OzHDHT is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off