**** So you've built your HTPC-NOW WHAT IS NEXT ?? How to get the "ULTIMATE" picture and sound quality from your HTPC !!!! (MADVR? SVP? XBMC? Mediabrowser? Jriver? ) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #181 of 808 Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

With Jriver you get bit perfect, WASAPI exclusive sound output.
XBMC has this too.

Jriver isn't really a true media center solution IMO. It looks like itunes from 5 years ago. I actually laughed when I downloaded the trial thinking WTF is this. Not to mention it costs money when more capable solutions are free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 808 Old 10-17-2013, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridindirty View Post

I am having a lot of issues with XBMC. I get source clipping pretty bad on some tracks, and I guess these issues are built into the coding of the new Audio Engine, as all someone could tell me was to lower the volume.
can you share your system audio settings from settings->system->audio ?

A screen shot is easiest, but in any case phase be specific with your audio output device and pass through settings
post #183 of 808 Old 10-17-2013, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

XBMC has this too.

Jriver isn't really a true media center solution IMO. It looks like itunes from 5 years ago. I actually laughed when I downloaded the trial thinking WTF is this. Not to mention it costs money when more capable solutions are free.
XBMC has issues with WASAPI. Did you read my post? This is confirmed on XBMC forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

can you share your system audio settings from settings->system->audio ?

A screen shot is easiest, but in any case phase be specific with your audio output device and pass through settings

In XBMC?
Optical out
DD/DTS/AAC Capable
WASAPI SPFID via M Audio revolution 7.1

I'll get a screen shot tomorrow, but its standard stuff.
post #184 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Jriver isn't really a true media center solution IMO.

In what way?
Quote:

Not to mention it costs money when more capable solutions are free.

Which solutions are more capable?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #185 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

XBMC has this too.

That's ridiculous. If Jriver spruced up their theater view UI a bit for movies and improved their TV Guide, they would be the hands down winner for people looking for the highest quality of all media playback. With their plethora of audio features, Red October video w/ MadVR for both movies AND live TV, and support for cable card tuners they are the most fully featured media center around.

You thinking that Jriver is an old version of iTunes really shows you have no idea of its capability.
BllDo likes this.
post #186 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 771
See my post in other thread and that ^

Jriver finally getting some love here biggrin.gif

I'm not an "audio guy" so admittedly I'm less into it - but that's not because it isn't good. Jim gave me a trial a while back and I was very impressed.

One of the things Jriver does well is combine all these high end type solutions under a single install program and interface. They have very high quality ripping, DVD-a and SACD support, even have MADVR called "red October"

For audio it's a clear step up over most video centric browsers like XBMC/plex/ MB

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #187 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

XBMC has this too.

The difference between the two is very simple:

#1.) Jriver looks superior to XBMC for video quality playback
and,
#2.) Jriver sounds better than XBMC for audio (and offers tons of high end audio support and features)

Info partly stolen from Jriver webpage:
It also provides tons more features including audiphile ripping, Support for all lossless formats of audio (FLAC, APE, ALAC, WM), AIFF and WAV files (including tagging), Bit-perfect playback, DD support (ASIO v2.2, DoP, SACD, DFF, DSF, etc.) ; JRiver's audio is bit perfect. This means that it can output your CDs, your HD audio (88.1 KHz, 176 KHz, and more), your DSD, and any other audio perfectly to your DAC. All audio handling inside the program is done with 64 bits of precision. Most high-end hardware uses 24-bit output, meaning the engine has an additional 240 dB of precision above the hardware's output. As a result, should you choose to use them, digital volume, room correction, and other audio functions are pristine.

It's a single program and install package that can support Madvr and high end audio under a single interface. It's a paid solution so it's a not pieced together from a bunch of developers like XBMC as freeware. I understand the cost part of your objection but sometimes the reason why things have a cost is justified. I think Jriver is worth it's asking price for anyone who desired what it offers.

You are so entrenched into XBMC you can't see the good in anything else. I think you are doing yourself a diservice. Mediabrowser, Jriver, madvr, MPC-HC, PLEX and tons of the other stuff we have been discussing all have their own little charecteristics both good and bad but there is much good in all of them. Nothing wrong at all with enjoying XBMC or preferring how it looks to feels to others, but I suspect much of your opinion if based on the familiarity of XBMC from long term use versus the learning curve on something else. Simply put there is no possible way to just install XBMC and begin using it and have it look and sound as good as Jriver- or offer all the functionality. You can begin to get some of it with hacks, and plugins and work-arounds and doing stuff like using an external player for Madvr etc... but at the end of the day that is not so simple and not so good. For anyone that wants all that under a single program shell and installation Jriver is worth it's asking price.
BllDo likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #188 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Couldn't agree more. I've been using JRiver for a while and have been very pleased. Audio playback is great, video is pretty darn good as well. I'm still interested in trying Mediabrowser if it ever gets out of beta (beginning to have doubts wink.gif ), but it is definitely my go to audio player. It is well worth the relatively small price for a really good piece of software IMO.

-

post #189 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

Couldn't agree more. I've been using JRiver for a while and have been very pleased. Audio playback is great, video is pretty darn good as well. I'm still interested in trying Mediabrowser if it ever gets out of beta (beginning to have doubts wink.gif ), but it is definitely my go to audio player. It is well worth the relatively small price for a really good piece of software IMO.

Classic is in open public beta. As is also iOS, Android and ROKU. The "Server" is required for all of them and is also in beta. MB Theater is in private beta (alpha testing) and I've been playing around with it quite a bit. It's really good. You can test out MB classic right now (it's a lot like MB2 ) and also try the others, but for open beta on theater you will need to wait a little longer. If I had permission from Luke I would show you a teaser video wink.gif Some of the stuff is really awesome! (including Madvr)

I don't think he would object to this:

Check it out at the MB3 Forums:

http://www.mediabrowser3.com/

http://www.mediabrowser3.com/download/

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/

Aside from the "theater" the rest are open and available now for testing (beta) and I am sure any complaints or suggestions are appreciated. The team is doing a good job and working hard to make it as good as it can be.

-

post #190 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Classic is in open public beta. As is also iOS, Android and ROKU. The "Server" is required for all of them and is also in beta. MB Theater is in private beta (alpha testing) and I've been playing around with it quite a bit. It's really good. You can test out MB classic right now (it's a lot like MB2 ) and also try the others, but for open beta on theater you will need to wait a little longer. If I had permission from Luke I would show you a teaser video wink.gif Some of the stuff is really awesome! (including Madvr)

Aside from the "theater" the rest are open and available now for testing (beta) and I am sure any complaints or suggestions are appreciated. The team is doing a good job and working hard to make it as good as it can be.

How is the music player?
post #191 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'd love to see some screen shots of other's set up's and browsers. I can't share MB3 Theater (yet biggrin.gif ) But I am pretty sure I can show Classic since it's public beta now:

-

post #192 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How is the music player?

I have not messed with music at all on MB3 yet. Just videos and limited testing. Not sure yet.

-

post #193 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The little I have played around with it, I think it looks interesting. I'm really interested to see what the Theater view has to offer. The 10' UI in JRiver is one of the few things that I think is lacking a little in that program. From what I've read, there seems to be some promise here. Good to hear you're having success with it.
Mfusick likes this.

-

post #194 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 12:36 PM

So can I make JRiver look a lot better than their screenshots on their site? I have to admit, it does look a little itunes-esque. I have no problems customizing anything, in fact I prefer it, but I dont feel like coding too much stuff.

I also dont like their limit on uses per yr of my serial. I like to screw around with my hardware and end up formatting... way too much. tongue.gif
Mfusick likes this.
post #195 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So can I make JRiver look a lot better than their screenshots on their site? I have to admit, it does look a little itunes-esque. I have no problems customizing anything, in fact I prefer it, but I dont feel like coding too much stuff.

I also dont like their limit on uses per yr of my serial. I like to screw around with my hardware and end up formatting... way too much. tongue.gif

I think it's 5 installs per year... so that's not too bad. After that you email for a release. It's so people don't share it excessively. A legit use should not be a problem.

As far as looks go- I don't really know. I am not too huge into Jriver. I have it installed but never played around with it as much as I could have. I do admit the lack of eye candy was the reason why I liked MB better (that and also I am not into audio much). I am more theater centric myself. I'd rather spend the money on theater gear, sound proofing my room etc.. To go crazy with audio is expensive and I would much rather spend it on theater. My hearing is not even good.. lol. I use some $79 Klipsch S4 earbuds and my iphone with mp3 and pandora and it sounds great to me tongue.gif The tech nerd inside me certainly knows better, but it's just not my priority.

If I did care about audio quality Jriver would be top of my short list.

-

post #196 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:

How do you plan on using it? With a keyboard and mouse on a monitor? Or with a remote on your TV?

Here's what the theater view player looks like with music.

Mfusick likes this.
post #197 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:

I think it's 5 installs per year... so that's not too bad. After that you email for a release. It's so people don't share it excessively. A legit use should not be a problem.

As far as looks go- I don't really know. I am not too huge into Jriver. I have it installed but never played around with it as much as I could have. I do admit the lack of eye candy was the reason why I liked MB better (that and also I am not into audio much). I am more theater centric myself. I'd rather spend the money on theater gear, sound proofing my room etc.. To go crazy with audio is expensive and I would much rather spend it on theater. My hearing is not even good.. lol. I use some $79 Klipsch S4 earbuds and my iphone with mp3 and pandora and it sounds great to me tongue.gif The tech nerd inside me certainly knows better, but it's just not my priority.

I think its 10, which is doable. 5 would never cut it for me. I didnt know I could email them for extra if I needed it, thats awesome.

What else is would be on your short list? I wanna do some research first then DL something, rather than a bunch of trials.
Mfusick likes this.
post #198 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:

How do you plan on using it? With a keyboard and mouse on a monitor? Or with a remote on your TV?

Here's what the theater view player looks like with music.
Thats not bad, certainly not as nice as Aeon Nox, but I can probably work with that. Thanks.

On a TV. I have a Logitech Wireless Keyboard, but I'm going to pick up a remote as soon as I am done goofing around with getting the audio setup how I want it.
Mfusick likes this.
post #199 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I have installed MC 19 on at least 7 machines here at home.
Mfusick likes this.

Just another blank signature.
post #200 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I have installed MC 19 on at least 7 machines here at home.

Yeah, I want to say the install number is more like 20.
Mfusick likes this.
post #201 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 01:31 PM

Its 10, I'm 99% sure. I read it yesterday.
Mfusick likes this.
post #202 of 808 Old 10-18-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Its 10, I'm 99% sure. I read it yesterday.

I told you I was lying wink.gif

-

post #203 of 808 Old 10-26-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Has anyone used SVP with Jriver? Does it work ?

-

post #204 of 808 Old 10-26-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

I asked this recently in another thread and didn't get an answer, but maybe no one saw it. I'm interested because I want bit perfect 2ch audio via SPDIF as my AVR is not the main signal path but a side chain. I can then feed 2ch direct to my active xover without another conversion, yet still have SVP for movies.
post #205 of 808 Old 10-26-2013, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I recently made the switch to JRiver after starting out with MediaBrowser and then XBMC and I can definitely say I'm a big fan. It's certainly the most versatile of any of the options out there. You can tag and edit your libraries on the "iTunes from 5 years ago" looking interface (very useful for music) and then there is the 10' interface for watching it on the TV. The 10' theater view doesn't look as pretty as XBMC's but the video and audio quality is superior, and without having to do any work arounds like MPC-HC. It's TV solution and guide is superior as well in comparison to XBMC but not on the level of WMC.
post #206 of 808 Old 10-27-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel14 View Post

I recently made the switch to JRiver after starting out with MediaBrowser and then XBMC and I can definitely say I'm a big fan. . . . . . but the video and audio quality is superior, and without having to do any work arounds like MPC-HC. It's TV solution and guide is superior as well in comparison to XBMC but not on the level of WMC.

Can you explain what you mean by superior audio quality of Jriver over XBMC ? and superior video quality ?

What htpc specs are you running on the client side for the 10' interfacce ?
post #207 of 808 Old 10-27-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD View Post

Can you explain what you mean by superior audio quality of Jriver over XBMC ? and superior video quality ?

What htpc specs are you running on the client side for the 10' interfacce ?

For movies I doubt you'll hear the difference but JRiver really shines with music. It can resample audio but where it really shines is it's DSP filters. You can read up more on those if you're interested in it but the adaptive volume is useful for movies at night or whatever else your requirements are.

Video, you can get XBMC and MediaBrowser to get on it's level with the use of MPC-HC to get madVR working with it but JRiver has it built in. Right now I only have an i3 with a GT430 so I can't push the limits on madVR but I plan on upgrading my HTPC soon to take advantage of it. Most of my movies aren't bluray rips but 720p mkv's with some 1080p stuff mixed in there but not straight bluray rips. So madVR filters make a difference with those files, on straight bluray rips I can't say but I doubt things will change much.
post #208 of 808 Old 10-27-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Looks like it, but this is the only result I've found so far.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74369.0
post #209 of 808 Old 10-30-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Looks like it, but this is the only result I've found so far.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74369.0

I don't use Jriver so I don't know first hand but I imagined that it would be possible with the right set up.

-

post #210 of 808 Old 10-31-2013, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 110
You can setup ffdshow for video processing in JRiver, any other setup is up to you.

I still think that SVP is just too unstable, it kept crashing on me like nothing else.
Plus it looks rather bad on anything but anime.
Dark_Slayer likes this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page