Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 66 Old 08-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Also, as I want to try and see if wireless would work for streaming from my other computer...

You could bang your head against a brick wall for five minutes. It'd hurt less, and you'd be quicker to realize you don't want to do that after all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 08-04-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

You could bang your head against a brick wall for five minutes. It'd hurt less, and you'd be quicker to realize you don't want to do that after all.

lol. tongue.gif

I thought the same thing. Some people don't know better. Wireless and full bit rate 1080p MKV's that are 30GB in size don't play well. They are like oil and water. At the very least your would need WIRELESS AC spec. I think wired, or power line adapters are generally a better option.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #63 of 66 Old 08-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

lol. tongue.gif

I thought the same thing. Some people don't know better. Wireless and full bit rate 1080p MKV's that are 30GB in size don't play well. They are like oil and water. At the very least your would need WIRELESS AC spec. I think wired, or power line adapters are generally a better option.

It requires line of sight and it works over wireless N fine. Without line of sight AC is going to be even worse than N due it's weaker wall penetration on the 5Ghz frequency. For the majority of layouts and home networks though you guys are right... it's going to be a waste of time.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #64 of 66 Old 08-04-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

Lol! Ok, thanks.

One more thing. I'm planning on installing XBMC's version of Ubuntu on my HTPC. Will all those pieces be ok for it? I just want to make sure there won't be problems with some of the parts I chose and Linux, especially regarding drivers.

So, here's the list of the parts of my build. Do you see any potential problem that could occur with Linux?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($45.40 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.05 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.83 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($78.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Case: nMEDIAPC HTPC 1000B HTPC Case ($74.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.88 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $397.47
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-04 18:06 EDT-0400)

Finally, if I want to use my Harmony 650 remote to control my HTPC and to turn it on from S5 state and to turn it back to S5 state, which IR receiver should I be looking for? I was reading that guide and the autor mentinoned to pick a receiver that would work easily with Linux regarding the drivers and everything.
Quote:
All I can do if that if you are still planning to buy an IR receiver, make sure it is compatible with Linux out-of-the-box, meaning that the driver should be included in the vanilla Linux kernel. This will make life a lot easier for you.

How can I know if a receiver is compatible with Linux out of the box? Are this and this receivers compatibles with Linux (XBMC Ubuntu)? Otherwise, which ones are?

Also, to power my HTPC from S5 state, is a USB IR receiver able to do so or if I should instead buy a CIR IR receiver (I have a CIR header on my ASRock motherboard)?

Thanks in advance,

Blaccko
post #65 of 66 Old 08-04-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
That hardware looks fine. Nice choices.

I think most should work with linux for your remote. But I can't confirm personally. Might want to find someone who is using one and likes it and just buy that.

The Asrock header make the asrock boards popular but you might prefer a USB one if compatibility with linux is an issue. I am not sure- ask some XBMC / OpenELEC users if they are using the Asrock header or something else.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #66 of 66 Old 08-04-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

That hardware looks fine. Nice choices.

I think most should work with linux for your remote. But I can't confirm personally. Might want to find someone who is using one and likes it and just buy that.

The Asrock header make the asrock boards popular but you might prefer a USB one if compatibility with linux is an issue. I am not sure- ask some XBMC / OpenELEC users if they are using the Asrock header or something else.

Ok, thanks. I thought that the CIR header was needed to wake up from S5 state because a USB header wouldn't allow this. However, I'm not sure. I'll try to speak to someone who use the ASRock header.

Thanks,

Blaccko
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page