Trying to set 5.1 upmixing to 7.1 with PLIIx --- testing with Games - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to make sure my 7.1 speakers are working properly in Windows. I have my PC set to use my Yamaha RX-V673 as my audio output device. I told Windows I had 7 speakers. What handles the upmixing from 5.1 to 7.1? Windows, or my receiver?

As far as testing:
I have tested with Hitman: Absolution and Metro: Last Light and both of them output in 7 channels, but they must support 7.1 natively as even when I disable EXTD Surround on my Yammy, I still hear them.

What I'm looking to do is make sure that games in 5.1 will properly upmix to 7.1, with EXTD Surround & PLIIx

Will Windows always try to force 5.1 content to 7.1 before it gets to my receiver? Will PLIIx ever take effect?

Perhaps, does anyone here know a game that is definitely only in 5.1? That way I can test with PLIIx on and off. I should get either 5 of 7 channel output depending on how it's set.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Hmm I doubt windows is forcing this so much.

Can you try putting a DVD in your drive? Just to see what happens when you put a source you 100% know has 5.1 audio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Hmm I doubt windows is forcing this so much.

Can you try putting a DVD in your drive? Just to see what happens when you put a source you 100% know has 5.1 audio.

I thought the same -- I didn't think Windows would control as much as my receiver would. Someone on another sub-forum mentioned it might.

Great idea by the way. I will try that tonight. I will attempt to switch between PLIIx and no 7.1 upmixing and see if I hear a difference.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
windows will pad empty channels to your output if it isn't 7.1
post #5 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

windows will pad empty channels to your output if it isn't 7.1

That's what I'm worried about --- If I have a 5.1 source and I want my receiver to apply PLIIx to it -- will Windows be sending empty channel data which my receiver thinks is plain 7.1, and never applies the PLIIx??

I recall a long time ago someone saying that I would need to switch between 5.1 with PLIIx and 7.1 depending on the content I'm using.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I have mine set to 7.1 in both Windows and in WMC but I use MPC-HC for Blu-ray rips. I have not noticed a problem with 5.1 or 7.1 sources (TrueHD or dts-HD/MA). I could/should probably use 5.1 in WMC though because nothing I watch there (Live/Recorded TV) is 7.1 or HD Audio for that matter. I have a Denon AVR-2312ci BTW.

post #7 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

if your player has wasapi exclusive mode for audio output, that would solve this problem, making input channels and output channels the same.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

if your player has wasapi exclusive mode for audio output, that would solve this problem, making input channels and output channels the same.

I don't actually use my PC for HT, I use it for Gaming. However the folks over there admitted that the users here might be smarter on the matter :P
post #9 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just found one example that proves my initial worry to be true --- If I have my computer speakers set to 7.1, certain applications will not be in 7.1, and PLIIx will not work in upmixing the 5.1 to 7.1

EIther due to the program sending silent data to the two extra channels, or some other reason... The only fix is to change my PC settings to 5.1 and keep PLIIx, then it works.

My original intention was to avoid having to switch between telling Windows that I have 7 speakers(when I use native 7.1 content) or that I have 5 speakers(when the above example happens, causing two silent channels).

Unless anyone else has an idea, I think the only solution will be to keep Windows set at 5.1 and apply PLIIx. The downside of this will be that true 7.1 content will end up being 5.1 --> PLIIx upmixed to 7.1. I'm not sure how negative this is, as I don't know the technical facts behind the differences.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like I have any other options, as one program to another this will differ, but the only way to maintain 7 channel output ALL THE TIME is to force 5.1 and PLIIx.

Can anyone shed some light on the detrimental effects of using 5.1 & PLIIx for true 7.1 content, versus using native 7.1?
post #10 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

are you using a sound card?
You can try using creative alchemy or asus's GX mode to maybe bypass the upmix.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

are you using a sound card?
You can try using creative alchemy or asus's GX mode to maybe bypass the upmix.

This is connected over HDMI Audio. AFAIK, only Windows is doing the processing. Think one of those programs might still work?
post #12 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

no, not with hdmi audio.
hmm, yea, you just gotta live without that upmix and hope most things have 8 channels.

For music and movies, you can configure the players to use wasapi exclusive mode with plugins or something, but for games, I think you are out of luck unless the game supports wasapi exclusive mode, which is unlikely.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page