Trying to get my extender to play 1080p movies that I rip... no dice! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-21-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I have an HTPC/DVR with a reasonably good processor and HD serving out to two extenders. All my DVRed recordings work great (WTV), forward and rewind work flawlessly, etc.

However, since I've been getting a few BluRays ripped using the "high profile" method, they basically don't even load on the Xbox 360, which is my extender. They play fine on the PC however.

Do I need to change things in order for it to play well? Handbrake settings, etc? I can't seem to find a consensus on this so I'm looking for any advice you all can give! I'm using Shark007's codec pack, not sure if I need to swap to anything different. Also, I rip into MP4 format (not sure if this is a good idea EITHER), so your suggestions are wholly welcomed!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-21-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 167
When you get it going let us know. This is not a new topic and there is probably 4 or 5 current threads discussing this.

post #3 of 7 Old 06-23-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I gave up trying to use an extender for playing ripped movies a while ago. I had hoped the Ceton Echo would fill this void but was sorely disappointed when it turned out to be just another WMC extender. You might want to take a look at the WDTV Live media player. If you have a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime networked cablecard tuner you can not only play your ripped Blue Rays but you can also watch live TV via the WDTV Live. You can buy refurbished players direct from Western Digital for about $60. You can use it in conjunction with the X-Box for both a media extender and media player. The WDTV Live cannot play your recorded TV shows or access the program guide so using the two devices in concert covers all of your bases. You don't need the SD HDHR Prime if you have the X-Box since you'd likely be using that for live TV.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-26-2013, 02:02 PM

One other thing to consider is your Home Network setup. How are all of your devices connected together? Are they hard-wired using Ethernet cables or is it all via wifi?

What kind of up and down speeds do you have?

Are you having trouble with just 1080p rips or can you not stream anything?

I would guess that maybe it isn't the rip profiles that's causing the issue, but the amount of bandwidth you are trying to use between devices, or the amount of devices you have online at the same time.

Just a few more things to consider when you try to narrow down that the issue is.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-26-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by exeterdottga View Post

One other thing to consider is your Home Network setup. How are all of your devices connected together? Are they hard-wired using Ethernet cables or is it all via wifi?

What kind of up and down speeds do you have?

Are you having trouble with just 1080p rips or can you not stream anything?

I would guess that maybe it isn't the rip profiles that's causing the issue, but the amount of bandwidth you are trying to use between devices, or the amount of devices you have online at the same time.

Just a few more things to consider when you try to narrow down that the issue is.

I think it is not necessarily the build quality of the network but rather that of the extender or of the rip profile used.

post #6 of 7 Old 06-26-2013, 02:22 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post

Hey all,

I have an HTPC/DVR with a reasonably good processor and HD serving out to two extenders. All my DVRed recordings work great (WTV), forward and rewind work flawlessly, etc.

However, since I've been getting a few BluRays ripped using the "high profile" method, they basically don't even load on the Xbox 360, which is my extender. They play fine on the PC however.

Do I need to change things in order for it to play well? Handbrake settings, etc? I can't seem to find a consensus on this so I'm looking for any advice you all can give! I'm using Shark007's codec pack, not sure if I need to swap to anything different. Also, I rip into MP4 format (not sure if this is a good idea EITHER), so your suggestions are wholly welcomed!

Thanks!

What is the bitrate of the movies you ripped? I believe the Xbox360 has a limit as far as bitrate is concern. I can't remember off the top of my head what the max is but I know it isn't "blu-ray" quality bitrates.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-26-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarqueset View Post

What is the bitrate of the movies you ripped? I believe the Xbox360 has a limit as far as bitrate is concern. I can't remember off the top of my head what the max is but I know it isn't "blu-ray" quality bitrates.

Ah, that's a good point!

Quick search pulled up this FAQ on Microsoft's website: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945416
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page