Plex and streaming externally - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 06-23-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Cable service is 30Mbps down and 10Mbps up. I pretty much get that according to speedtest.net.

However, when trying to stream outside of the network, its very choppy and lots of buffering. Could it be due to the source file being 8-15Gb and an intel q6600 just doesnt have enough juice to transcode? could it be setting on the plex app? other than lowering the bitrates, not sure what the other things are. direct stream, direct play etc. any suggestions?

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-23-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quick Google search shows that's a quad core processer, so that's not your problem.

Which device are you streaming from? Try turning off direct stream and direct play and that will force transcoding. Are you on a remote wifi connection or a 3g/4g connection? Who is your provider if it's the latter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 Old 06-23-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I had a q8400 and it was too slow. These were full bluray rips though. Working great with my i5-3570k now.
post #4 of 18 Old 06-23-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Minimum specs are duo core 2.4ghz, q6600 being quad core 2.4ghz I figured would be enough, but maybe not for larger files.

Lockdown has good experience with PLEX so he would know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 Old 06-23-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks all.

on local network to ipad/ipod, it works great. thats why wasnt sure if cpu was the issue.

was trying to stream to parents house from the htpc/server..local storage, to their laptop, and it wasn't watchable. my upload and their download of 10 should be enough. i asked them to try a lower quality file after re-encoding to about 800mb. have not heard back. planning for a new htpc but not for a few months.

fwiw, i did not try to stream on wifi in their house to my ipad while there. probably should have tried.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-23-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yeah, I would try choosing the lowest quality possible. That should help determine whether it's a network or transcoding problem.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-24-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

The windows client can be fickle, I remember at one point having similar issues with a laptop and Windows 7. This was on network, but I had to adjust the settings within the client. I can't remember right now, but it may have been the transcoding setting or something in that realm.

Another factor could be their network, is it as robust as yours? Also is their wireless router capable, may be worth it to have them do a speedtest, though you may have tried that already.

post #8 of 18 Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If you can stream over WiFi with no issues locally, then the PC is has enough power. It's most likely a bandwidth issue.

I'm currently have the same issue. It's not so much the Speedtests results, but you need to see how much jitter you're getting. You may be getting 10Mbps donw, but the it can fluctuating all over the place and really averaging something like 2Mpbs. Speedtests peak speeds. My issues, my cellphone carrier's data is having a lot of jitter lately. I use to be able to 2 to 4Mbps video quality. Now, it's less than 750K.

Lower file, I mean bit rate, sizes can help. I assuming on the laptop they were using Plex for Media Center or Plex Home theater. That should play anything you throw at it. And if set to direct stream, there's not transcoding on your machine. There could be question of how well Plex client runs on the laptop. It may be just the client. Do you have I don't recall if nonPlexPass members had access to the web client yet, but if you do have access, have them try it. But even in the windows front end client, it's possible to set the video quality lower in the settings.

I've streamed WTV file (a half hour sports show) I recorded in Media Center, and played it on my ASUS Infinity Android tablet, which was being mirrored on to my friend's 42" inch HDTV with no issues. And he lived five hundred miles away; not that far of a distance in terms of the internet, but nonethness, can be a factor.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-24-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

plex media centre is what we are using.i turned off direct stream and direct play. i lowered it down to 1.5mbit. seemed to get going but would buffer after a few minutes. will keep checking.

thanks for the tips.

post #10 of 18 Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 827
I'd upgrade to a Haswell-E with 64GB of DDR4 eek.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #11 of 18 Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

tha will be my gaming rig...after megaball win! tongue.gif

post #12 of 18 Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey aliaskary77, sorry I never got around to replying to your PM. The only way to accomplish will be to have your brother setup a plex media server at his location. Then you can share your libraries with him. Both of you will need to be signed into myplex (free) but he doesn't need to setup any content (unless he wanted to). He should be able to see your entire library (or however much you share) and then his PS3 will pickup whatever his plex server can see. Here's some different people troubleshooting this very issue in the plex forums http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/39890-dlna-remotely/

As to the Q6600, I think it is probably performing fine. You mentioned it has no problem playing the same blu ray rip on your ipod? Transcoding to aac and ipod resolution while muxing to a compatible container is probably as taxing a transcode as your server will ever see assuming your videos are mkv. If they are mp4, then the ipod might be doing some of the grunt work. Based on that, I'd say your limited by upload or their download. The advertised speed limits from cable are all burst speed. Average sustained uploads are usually much lower. Either way, it's best practice to never ff/rw on remotely transcoded video smile.gif Try to get everyone in the habit of watching something with no other controls than play/pause/stop
post #13 of 18 Old 06-25-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks. Will try that. no worries on pm reply. smile.gif

post #14 of 18 Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I have ATT Uverse Turbo Max 24Mbps Down and 3Mbps Up....my server has a haswell i5 in it so im not worried about its ability to transcode.....BUT....is 3Mbps going to be enough to stream to my iphone while away or a Roku in another state?

Streamcom Fanless FC5
Zotac Z68-ITX Wifi
Intel i3 2125
G Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 8 GB x2
Mushkin Chronos 60GB SSD
post #15 of 18 Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

should be possible. i streamed to my iphone on 3g and worked great.

as a follow up to my thread, it seems it was giving a problem for a day or 2 when i started the thread, but then it started streaming fine. thanks for the help guys.
still going to upgrade to use madvr+5 and svp 5g. i cant even do 1g right now.

post #16 of 18 Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsketto View Post

Hey guys, I have ATT Uverse Turbo Max 24Mbps Down and 3Mbps Up....my server has a haswell i5 in it so im not worried about its ability to transcode.....BUT....is 3Mbps going to be enough to stream to my iphone while away or a Roku in another state?

Possibly. Depends what is the average upload. Plus, you have to take into consideration of the bandwidth of the receiving client and the video quality setting you have the Plex front end set at. I've have streamed to my phone and tablet over 3G network. Yet, I've had issues on 4G on the same network and devices because the mobile network was working on their network. I've streamed stuff over using a friends network access with no issues.

Plus, there are factors within your own LAN as well. You're just going to to have to try it and see what happens. And maybe fiddle with some of your settings. On the surface, you should.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-19-2013, 12:29 PM

Liked: 17

The DLNA protocol is only certified to run on nnnn-Base-T ethernet and Wi-fi. It's not designed to work over wide area networks (WANs), although it might. The virtual link between your server in your house and your parents house is over a WAN. You don't say how far apart you both live or if you have the same internet service provider. At a minimum I would say the the packets, one-way, go through at least 8-10 switches and routers, point-to-point. Traffic can queue up at each switch/router interface. Or get "dropped".

If you know the basic network utilities "ping" and "traceroute" you might be able to see how many hops your traffic takes (traceroute) , and the average latency (ping) for a packet to arrive. Video quality of Service (QoS) is sensitive to bandwidth, latency, and jitter on each link of your network path. In addition DLNA uses the UDP protocol which is not guaranteed delivery. The UDP packets can be dropped and lost forever. TCP/IP is guaranteed to arrive but not necessarily in a time frame that Plex error correction can handle.

I suspect your problem is not in your equipment (server or laptop) or Wi-fi. It's the (internet)  network. I'm just getting started with Plex. I don't see where you can easily set up  "pre-buffering" which is what you need.

You Tube, Hulu, Vimeo, NetFlix, etc  have special network engineering done by the ISP's to deliver their traffic. Your set up is the equivalent of sending Plex media streams in packets labeled "email". So you need to buffer 5-10 minutes of movie (at the client) before you start watching, if Plex can do that. Start with 480P streams  first.

post #18 of 18 Old 07-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

jsketto issue, you later discussed, is most likely about internet bandwidth, not DNLA. I've been using Plex for cost to four or five years. I was using Plex for Roku when it it was unofficial and a private channel. Got Plex for Android when it first came out and a bit buggy. I'm even an PlexPass member.

Thus, although we believe, given the information started and our experiences, it will work, we just can't guarantee it will. I've streamed content while five hundred miles away from home over a friends home internet service. I've also streamed content while at work over 3G and 4G mobile data networks. These streams were played on Android devices. And I did have my Android tablet hooked up to a 42" HDTV and looked good.

I haven't tried streaming to a Roku device outside of the local network. The idea will remain the same. If it can see your PMS, then ti's really about finding the video quality setting that gives the best performance. Just be forwarned, if you're streaming to your Roku over a 3G network, the picture quality may be less than ideal because of the limited bandwidth. The 3Mbps upload is not going to a setting your can use for picture quality. It's really going to be 1Mbp to 2Mbps, which is really 480p to just under 720p. I tend to find half of your upload, assuming your download speed is well above it, is realistic. It accounts for fluctuations that are going to occur on available bandwidth.

The worse thing that may be happening is there could be a firewall issue he may encounter. Given he's streamed to his iPhone over 3G, not likely. But on someone's else's home network, it's possible.

Another option, if you're having to bring the Roku, if there is available computer to hook up to the TV, I would suggest using Plex Web client. It works pretty well from the complete times I've tried it out.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page