Network Share drives not available after a reboot or wakeup from Sleep - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am using WHS 2011 and when my clients using a SSD as boot drive first boot or after returning from sleep I get a drives not available warning.

The server has 2 shared drives for movie and file storage and from what I can find it has to do with the speed of bootup with the ssd drive. The shares are actually there but somehow missed due to the speed. One can check after boot or return from sleep and they are there and working.

I know I can't be the only one seeing this, is there a good work around, script or what ever to get rid of these erroneous message error???

Thanks
Rew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
So the shares just take a few seconds/minutes to show up after booting/resuming from wake? From the host server or the client? From the client side that's normal. From the server side I've only seen that with external drives.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #3 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
It takes a second to load a LAN driver sometimes. Give it a minute. Does it work then ?>

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew452 View Post

I am using WHS 2011 and when my clients using a SSD as boot drive first boot or after returning from sleep I get a drives not available warning.

The server has 2 shared drives for movie and file storage and from what I can find it has to do with the speed of bootup with the ssd drive. The shares are actually there but somehow missed due to the speed. One can check after boot or return from sleep and they are there and working.

I know I can't be the only one seeing this, is there a good work around, script or what ever to get rid of these erroneous message error???

Thanks
Rew

What OS are your clients running?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [
]
post #5 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The share drives are there a short time after booting or wakeup but initially they are not as far as Win7 is concerned.
I believe it calles them not accessible. not here right now to check the correct message but it is annoying.

I found some references to this behavior and it was sited that MS never planned for drives to come up as quickly as those with ssd drives do. And that was the problem.

My drives are fully usable but of course event viewer logs errors for this behavior and I would like to patch around this to get rid of those errors.

Perhaps a delay of some sort, but I have not found a fix

You guys have not seen this?

Rew
post #6 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
yep, every time I reboot I get the message 'shared drives inaccessible' .

evry time I just ignore it and everything always works fine.....
post #7 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
http://zornsoftware.codenature.info/blog/windows-7-disconnected-network-drives.html

Mapdrive works for me - used to have all kinds of problems as mediabrowser would not see my collections after sleep
post #8 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL-F1 View Post

yep, every time I reboot I get the message 'shared drives inaccessible' .

evry time I just ignore it and everything always works fine.....

Same here. Takes a few seconds for my LAN to kick on...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelan View Post

http://zornsoftware.codenature.info/blog/windows-7-disconnected-network-drives.html

Mapdrive works for me - used to have all kinds of problems as mediabrowser would not see my collections after sleep

Thanks! jmelan

Had a busy night and didn't see your post until late last night. It certainly looks like what I have been experiencing.
Going to put it to use today and will post back my results.

Thanks again
Rew
post #10 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm having a similar problem with an iSCSI target not showing up after restart. I had to duplicate the target and apply a fake MCS round robin to reliably reconnect after reboot. My log has errors on every reboot because the first attempt to connect always fails. Then the round robin attempts to connect to the exact same target again. Apparently enough time has passed, so it works. My guess is that its related to the network drivers coming up slow because its not all that prevalent of an issue that SSDs are the root cause, if so there would be tons of posts on the NAS forums.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Thank you. I have the same issue. Will try this.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Works like a Champ!

Very good find; Can be a little daunting to setup but when you get it working Wa..Laaaaa.

IF you have some difficulty use CMD box and run Net Use command for the exact server share name.

Rew
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page